Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2014   #21
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick v BoB

Whatever anyone's opinion of how this organization actually operates behind the scenes is theirs. But whatever it actually is, their first draft together seems to have been a very good one.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #22
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

If these guys pan out, BOB.

If they don't, Rick.

That's how it works 'round this city.
Old 05-11-2014   #23
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Clowney is not a OB sort of guy because he obviously isn't known for an intense work ethic which seems to be a hallmark of what our new HC expects in his players, so I'm very happy that it was apparently Smith who prevailed in the decision about the 1.1. I just think worst case scenario Clowney is gonna be our AlDon Smith without the off field problems of the troubled x-Mizzou defender.
But the heart of the Draft (rounds 2 thru 4), were O'Brien's as clearly we haven't seen those kinds of guys in recent Drafts when Kubiak was the HC.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #24
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I think that Clowney is not a OB sort of guy because he obviously isn't known for an intense work ethic which seems to be a hallmark of what our new HC expects in his players, so I'm very happy that it was apparently Smith who prevailed in the decision about the 1.1. I just think worst case scenario Clowney is gonna be our AlDon Smith without the off field problems of the troubled x-Mizzou defender.
But the heart of the Draft (rounds 2 thru 4), were O'Brien's as clearly we haven't seen those kinds of guys in recent Drafts when Kubiak was the HC.

O'Brien has been quoted MULTIPLE times saying the comlete opposite of what you think he thinks about Clowney;LINK

Quote:
One of the main concerns clouding Clowney is that he's not a high-motor player on game days. O'Brien said he didn't have those reservations.

"I don't have any concerns about his motor," he said. "There are 90 plays a game in college. You'd be hard-pressed to find a defensive lineman to go like his life's on the line ... He played a lot of plays. He played hard this year. I think when the game was on the line — the Tennessee game, the Georgia game — this guy showed up and made a lot of plays."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #25
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Why can't two guys work together towards a common goal?
Agree. It doesn't have to be "either" "or." They both appeared to have worked well together. That should be enough.

Frankly, I'm so thrilled that Gary Kubiak is no longer here that who ran the draft is of no importance to me.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #26
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132788 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick and bob.

And romeo and scouts.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #27
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I just think worst case scenario Clowney is gonna be our AlDon Smith without the off field problems of the troubled x-Mizzou defender.
So the worst case scenario is a guy who gets 33.5 sacks his first two years, makes first team all pro his second year, and then doesn't miss 5 games his third season, most likely allowing him double-digit sacks a third year in a row, and who knows what other honors?

What's best case scenario?
Old 05-11-2014   #28
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
So the worst case scenario is a guy who gets 33.5 sacks his first two years, makes first team all pro his second year, and then doesn't miss 5 games his third season, most likely allowing him double-digit sacks a third year in a row, and who knows what other honors?

LOL. That's what I was thinking. I WANT an Aldon Smith with no off-the-field issues. Bring it on.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #29
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

I don't expect Clowney to have the kind of incredible production that Smith had in SF his first couple years there, but that doesn't mean he won't play as well as Smith did. We look to have an improved defense, but we aren't the elite level defense that Smiths been surrounded by in SF, not yet at least.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #30
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
If these guys pan out, BOB.

If they don't, Rick.

That's how it works 'round this city.
This is a new Texan fan base truth.

You can already see it in the "grades" thread. If somebody loves the pick it must be a BOB pick, and if it's deemed a head scratched its one of Smith's picks.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Ricky Bobby
Old 05-11-2014   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Ricky Bobby

Oh yeah! I can see them together in the war room....

"SHAKE 'N' BAKE! THAT JUST HAPPENED!"
Old 05-11-2014   #33
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
im just glad kubiak is gone and we can finally have a no huddle offense.
So we WONT run draw plays on 3rd and long?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Oh yeah! I can see them together in the war room....

"SHAKE 'N' BAKE! THAT JUST HAPPENED!"

I bet there was a lot of that going on in the war room.
Old 05-12-2014   #35
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
When did Smith get a brand new scouting department that he didn't select?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
My recollection of Smith's brand new scouting staff was not long after Rick arrived in Houston.

Smith was an assistant GM in Denver under Shanahan w/ Shanahan having final say. Kubiak was hired long before Smith got here and Gary is on record saying he had final say on the 53 man roster. Smith has bascially learned and trained in the position of working FOR a Head Coach.

Not long after BOB was hired, several interviews were done, with some of BOB's mentors and head coaches. The one consistent and constant piece of advice that was reported BOB received was, "Make sure you're in charge". My guess is that is the case with BOB in Houston, he has final say on the 53 man roster. I don't think McNair had any problem giving BOB final say. As for Rick, it was keep calm and carry on.

As for the draft, I think it is Rick and the scouting staff who do the legwork, homework in gathering information and doing all the due diligence on the players from August through January. In January BOB and staff get involved with Rick and scouting staff. However it is BOB who prioritizes the draft and leaves it to Rick to organize and operate the draft. The final say on who the pick will be, comes from BOB and sometimes Bob. I think it may have been O'Brien trusting in his more seasoned DC Romeo Crennel on the Clowney and Nix picks, more so than Rick. ALL IMHO!
I thought this was common knowledge. Did I miss something or read too much into this? Regardless, the linked article would suggest Smith would need to rely more on his coaching staff than normal.
Old 05-12-2014   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I thought this was common knowledge. Did I miss something or read too much into this? Regardless, the linked article would suggest Smith would need to rely more on his coaching staff than normal.
Well what Texian was talking about didn't support what you were saying as it was about changes from Casserly to Smith that happened years ago. Your link is about two guys in the PRO department so had nothing to do with the draft which is what I thought we were talking about.
Old 05-12-2014   #37
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well what Texian was talking about didn't support what you were saying as it was about changes from Casserly to Smith that happened years ago. Your link is about two guys in the PRO department so had nothing to do with the draft which is what I thought we were talking about.
So the scout was a pro personnel scout? In that case I read more into it than was there. Oops...I was talking about the draft. I just didn't differentiate between pro and college.
Old 05-12-2014   #38
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no Rick vs. Bob.

This combination seems to have struck a home run on its first at-bat.

I'm sure there was more to this draft than sending Rick to fetch what Boss BoB told him to go get.

I'm liking what I've seen from this combination, when it comes to personnel moves, so far.
Old 05-12-2014   #39
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

they still drafted from need positions I think

guard was a major need since wade smith retired

NT was a need so we got NIX

im not surprised we drafted a QB but we reall didn't need to do that IMO not like we are going anywhere dis season with or without savage
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
There is no Rick vs. Bob.

This combination seems to have struck a home run on its first at-bat.

I'm sure there was more to this draft than sending Rick to fetch what Boss BoB told him to go get.

I'm liking what I've seen from this combination, when it comes to personnel moves, so far.
Agree. Going back through the draft I'm awed by the patience Rick exercised. 2nd round grade on Nix, one of a handful of true 0-techs in the draft and he waits until the 19th pick to jump ahead of Green Bay and steal him. Packer fans weren't happy.

And getting the QB at the top of your new coach's board at the tail end of the 4th... with the Cards having 3 picks in between and preferring big-armed prospects... I'd have been a nervous wreck.

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-12-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read