Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-14-2014   #1
humblegeo
Rookie

Rep Power: 3525 humblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Offense

Will this be more of a Bum Phillips type offense or a Jeff Fisher-Jack Pardee run and shoot type offense??
humblegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #2
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default Re: Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblegeo View Post
Will this be more of a Bum Phillips type offense or a Jeff Fisher run and shoot type offense??
Jack Pardee had the run and shoot
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103938
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #4
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I don't know what this is going to be, but OB has said many times that this will be the kind of offense that will adapt to the circumstances and be versatile. Based on what they've drafted, it looks to me that they're looking to have a strong, dominating, physical defense. Also, based on he lack of a solid QB, I imagine this will also be a run heavy offense, at least to begin with until we either get a QB or develop one from what's on the roster.

What I'm looking forward to when the personnel is in place is versatility. If we need to run out the clock, we can do that. But if we need to run no huddle, we can do that, too, plus whatever's in between. Is it possible to be both at the same time? I don't know.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblegeo View Post
Will this be more of a Bum Phillips type offense or a Jeff Fisher-Jack Pardee run and shoot type offense??
Same question I asked in thread about Texans game plan, It should be interesting.

"Texans game plan after draft?
No QB thru 3 so... a huge LG to solidify left side and protect our starting QB (Fitz?) and give Foster a better line. Quessenberry probably to RT and alongside Brooks and Fiedo does same to the right side. Do not need a great QB.

Looks to me like O'Brien will have a ball control offense but still maintain AJ and Nuk to stretch field. This could keep defense off field and with the addition of Clowney and NT Chocolate keep the other offense from putting points up. I'm thinking we see close low scoring games but not a Kubiak "play to remain close and hope we pull it out in fourth quarter."
"
Old 05-14-2014   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Same question I asked in thread about Texans game plan, It should be interesting.

"Texans game plan after draft?
No QB thru 3 so... a huge LG to solidify left side and protect our starting QB (Fitz?) and give Foster a better line. Quessenberry probably to RT and alongside Brooks and Fiedo does same to the right side. Do not need a great QB.

Looks to me like O'Brien will have a ball control offense but still maintain AJ and Nuk to stretch field. This could keep defense off field and with the addition of Clowney and NT Chocolate keep the other offense from putting points up. I'm thinking we see close low scoring games but not a Kubiak "play to remain close and hope we pull it out in fourth quarter."
"
It amazes me how you devalue the QB position. BTW, I really like the Savage pick. Hopefully they trade for Mallett and trade Yates or Keenum.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
It amazes me how you devalue the QB position. BTW, I really like the Savage pick. Hopefully they trade for Mallett and trade Yates or Keenum.
It's not that I devalue the position but that I realistically see our options. Why are you so gung ho on Mallett? He is tall and so far that's all. With what we should have offensively (if AJ is on roster), we do not have to have a great QB to win. If one happens along, we are better. I don't see Texans having a view different than mine. Maybe you are the odd one out?
Old 05-14-2014   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
It's not that I devalue the position but that I realistically see our options. Why are you so gung ho on Mallett? He is tall and so far that's all. With what we should have offensively (if AJ is on roster), we do not have to have a great QB to win. If one happens along, we are better. I don't see Texans having a view different than mine. Maybe you are the odd one out?
Old 05-14-2014   #9
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What would you expect to get for yates or keenum?

As for the qb position:

We got a 6 for schaub which was better then expected.

We got fitz which is nothing to brag about except he was the best free agent qb available.

We didn't blow our load early on an unworthy qb early like bortles and force a square peg into a round hole when better talent was available.

We got savage in the 4th round. Sure, he's a developmental prospect , but anybody we drafted was going to be. Keep in mind this guy was invited to the draft and we got him in the 4th!

If you wanted us to trade up for bridgewater it means you value him more then savage and X together. I don't.

To me it boils down to the 2nd round pick. Did we like carr or jimmy g enough to pick them over X? Clearly, BOB did what he wanted to. I dont see anybody complaining about X in the 2nd round.

Offensively how does this play out? Looks to me like they understand qb play may be shaky so they beefed up the running game because thats what was available. And they did it while drastically improving the defense. I'm not thrilled with our qb situation but I think its better then what we had.
Old 05-14-2014   #10
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

People have a Ryan Mallett fetish because they have been convinced that anyone learning under the tutelage of legendary players and coaches will, themselves, turn into legendary players. Of course, anyone who believes that such a legendary coach would be willing to exchange such a player for anything is dangerously foolish at best.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Mallett brings little to the table imo and on the trade Andre front to NE, I'd rather trade for Garoppolo.
Old 05-14-2014   #12
humblegeo
Rookie

Rep Power: 3525 humblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respectedhumblegeo is a quality contributor and well respected

If your throwing alott of short passes to tight ends and running backs may not need great quarterback.
humblegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm not gung ho on Mallett although if he were on the roster he would be an upgrade. He's got a very strong arm, decent movement skills in the pocket and most of all already knows the offense.

The odd one out? Niether you or I have any idea of what BOB's ultimate vision for HIS offense is. But I'm sure it will look different in 3 yrs than it does next yr.
Old 05-14-2014   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
People have a Ryan Mallett fetish because they have been convinced that anyone learning under the tutelage of legendary players and coaches will, themselves, turn into legendary players. Of course, anyone who believes that such a legendary coach would be willing to exchange such a player for anything is dangerously foolish at best.
Or they could've actually seen them play several games and think they would be better than any QB on the current roster. Carry on oh wise one.
Old 05-14-2014   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
What would you expect to get for yates or keenum?

As for the qb position:

We got a 6 for schaub which was better then expected.

We got fitz which is nothing to brag about except he was the best free agent qb available.

We didn't blow our load early on an unworthy qb early like bortles and force a square peg into a round hole when better talent was available.

We got savage in the 4th round. Sure, he's a developmental prospect , but anybody we drafted was going to be. Keep in mind this guy was invited to the draft and we got him in the 4th!

If you wanted us to trade up for bridgewater it means you value him more then savage and X together. I don't.

To me it boils down to the 2nd round pick. Did we like carr or jimmy g enough to pick them over X? Clearly, BOB did what he wanted to. I dont see anybody complaining about X in the 2nd round.

Offensively how does this play out? Looks to me like they understand qb play may be shaky so they beefed up the running game because thats what was available. And they did it while drastically improving the defense. I'm not thrilled with our qb situation but I think its better then what we had.
Agreed,

If you read the TB thread you will find that I'm no TB fan and wanted either TB or Savage in the 2nd. So getting Savage in the 4th was like found $$$$. IMHO

The Ravens probably would give up a conditional 6/7th rd pick. Gary needs a backup that knows his offense.
Old 05-14-2014   #16
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Or they could've actually seen them play several games and think they would be better than any QB on the current roster. Carry on oh wise one.
Ryan Mallett has started zero games in his illustrious career.

Here are his career game logs. Quite impressive. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...Ry00/gamelog//

I was mistaken. The fetish is well-deserved.
Old 05-14-2014   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We might carry 4 TEs this year.
If we do, it's gonna tell a little about OB's offense.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #18
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Can Fitzpatrick fit that Alex Smith role? Savage won't be ready to start week 1. The only QB I see pushing for the starting Job is Keenum.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Ryan Mallett has started zero games in his illustrious career.

Here are his career game logs. Quite impressive. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...Ry00/gamelog//

I was mistaken. The fetish is well-deserved.
I've watched many of Mallett's games at Arkansas and he's a better fit than any QB for BOB's offense than any QB on the Texans roster at this current time. IMHO (Not a fetish just my opinion)

The list of QB's in NFL history who would start over Brady is a short one. So what's your point, or are you just spouting off stats for effect. BTW, I'm not saying Mallett is/will be an all pro. Just currently he would be my choice as week 1 starter while Savage develops and if that cost a 4-7th rd pick for that luxury so be it.
Old 05-14-2014   #20
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

The purpose of my post was to disclose that Ryan Mallett has started zero games so it would therefore be impossible to definitively assess him as better than any QB on our roster. Of course, your admission that yours (and anyone's) exposure to Mallett remains limited to his collegiate career proves my point entirely.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read