Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2014   #1
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 11090 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick v BoB

Who do you guys think really had more pull during this draft, was it more of Rick draft or a BoB draft?
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Re: Rick v BoB

Considering Ricks history of deferring to the head coach anyway. I think the draft was 90% the various coaches decisions. Basically telling him what positions they liked, and which players and it became Ricks job to just write their names down on a sheet. Seriously, he has done this his entire career here with Kubiak, why should we be surprised that he does the same with BOB and RAC.
Old 05-10-2014   #3
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113211 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

It was both. There is no question that O'Brien had some sort of say in the decisions (as did Crennel) but I think it's also clear that we got a good glimpse of what Smith is able to do without Kubiak hanging over his shoulder.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #4
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Considering Ricks history of deferring to the head coach anyway. I think the draft was 90% the various coaches decisions. Basically telling him what positions they liked, and which players and it became Ricks job to just write their names down on a sheet. Seriously, he has done this his entire career here with Kubiak, why should we be surprised that he does the same with BOB and RAC.
Agreed. Rick Smith went out and found the talent BOB wanted, just like he did for Kubiak. That's his job, after all.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Watch the interviews. OB repeatedly praised Rick and how easy he was to work with. Rick talked about their common vision regarding prospects. OB was impressed by how Rick stuck to their board. Rick obviously listened and respected OB's opinions on players he liked. CJ Fiedorowicz, for example, where Rick was not there to see his pro day.

Seems to me Rick is deferring a lot to a guy he recognizes as having a good football eye, and OB appreciating to organised way they conducted business. So far, no throwing under the bus moments.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #6
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 80286 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Who do you guys think really had more pull during this draft, was it more of Rick draft or a BoB draft?
Absolutely!
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #7
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 11090 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Watch the interviews. OB repeatedly praised Rick and how easy he was to work with. Rick talked about their common vision regarding prospects. OB was impressed by how Rick stuck to their board. Rick obviously listened and respected OB's opinions on players he liked. CJ Fiedorowicz, for example, where Rick was not there to see his pro day.

Seems to me Rick is deferring a lot to a guy he recognizes as having a good football eye, and OB appreciating to organised way they conducted business. So far, no throwing under the bus moments.
So, are you saying Rick doesn't have much of a clue and is a "yes man" or he knows his job could be on the line if he doesn't nail this draft?
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2014   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If you were the GM, how would you do it?

Most likely, that's the way Rick Smith is doing it.
Old 05-10-2014   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
So, are you saying Rick doesn't have much of a clue and is a "yes man" or he knows his job could be on the line if he doesn't nail this draft?
Nope. I said what I said.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 145529 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Why can't two guys work together towards a common goal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I think Rick Smith is going to surprise a lot of people over the next few years. I don't believe that McNair would have kept him around if he was as worthless as many people in here feel like he is. We're going to see him with a different HC and have a chance to compare and contrast the way things play out between the Smith/Kubiak and Smith/O'Brien eras.

My early estimation is that working with Kubiak handcuffed Smith to some extent and that the glimpses we caught of divisiveness toward the end of Kubiak's time could be traced back to Smith trying to be his own man. This is just speculation on my part but early on I think Smith made some mistakes. Clearly there have been picks that just didn't make sense and shouldn't have been made. If you look at the drafts most of the real mistakes early on were on defense.

That makes sense. Kubiak is an OC and in 2006 (When Kubiak was working with Casserly)-2008 we mostly hit on the offensive players we selected. He knew what he wanted and went after it.

On the other side of the ball we had Richard Smith muddling around with no idea what he was doing. I'm sure Rick Smith had input there (starting in 2007) more so than on offense and so we get crap like Amobi Okoye, Fred Bennett, Brandon Harrison, Antwaun Molden, Xavier Adibi, Frank Okam, and Dominique Barber selected.

Lots of missteps in secondary picks and just no sense that they're drafting with a plan on defense. Two years later you switch DC's and get Frank Bush in the house. He's not much better than Richard Smith but he's got a better eye for defensive talent and I imagine Rick is starting to learn some things as well. Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Glover Quin, Brice McCain show up. The next year Kareem Jackson, Earl Mitchell, and Darryl Sharpton arrive. Little bit better players than before, still no clue what to do with them but we're not drafting total crap every time we go for a defender anymore.

Wade shows up prior to 2011 and obviously he has way more input than either Richard Smith or Frank Bush had. From that point on I think the defensive picks are all Wade's and Rick isn't getting nearly as much say as before. Basically I lay the 11-13 defensive picks on Wade. Good or bad they're his guys. Rick was a yes man during this period but he must have done something right because he survived the purge. I think he got better at his job.
Old 05-11-2014   #12
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this before but I stand behind the fact that Smith is still here and everybody else is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I think the answer is that nobody really knows. I feel like Smith gets credit for all the bad picks and from what I've gathered on the boards the overall mindset seems to be Mario was a Kubiak pick, Okoye was a Smith pick, Duane Brown was a Gibbs pick, not sure who gets credit for Cushing, Kareem Jackson was a Smith pick, Watt was a Phillips pick, and so forth.

I think every pick is a mixture of opinions coming to the best compromise. I know two brothers that are both huge Bills fans and share a fantasy football team in a big money league, both super knowledgeable about the game. I asked them how they make decisions in the draft and they said that they typically agree on most things but if someone felt very strongly about a player they would cede to the strong feeling and draft that player.

This is my best guess as to the drafting style of the Texans. With that being said I don't think that Smith would still have his job if he was pro Akoye and anti Watt for example. If he wasn't right more than he was wrong I don't think Mcnair would be keeping him around. Nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes but Kubiak is gone, Phillips is gone, and Smith is still here. With these being the only facts I have to work with, I have to say that Smith was probably a lot more involved with the good picks than he gets credit for.
Old 05-11-2014   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I obviously don't know for sure who was in charge of the draft but that draft sure seemed to take a turn for the worse in the 6th round. The first 5 picks were good/great and the last 5 sucked.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #14
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Personally I think Rick Smith is going to surprise a lot of people over the next few years. I don't believe that McNair would have kept him around if he was as worthless as many people in here feel like he is. We're going to see him with a different HC and have a chance to compare and contrast the way things play out between the Smith/Kubiak and Smith/O'Brien eras.

My early estimation is that working with Kubiak handcuffed Smith to some extent and that the glimpses we caught of divisiveness toward the end of Kubiak's time could be traced back to Smith trying to be his own man. This is just speculation on my part but early on I think Smith made some mistakes. Clearly there have been picks that just didn't make sense and shouldn't have been made. If you look at the drafts most of the real mistakes early on were on defense.

That makes sense. Kubiak is an OC and in 2006 (When Kubiak was working with Casserly)-2008 we mostly hit on the offensive players we selected. He knew what he wanted and went after it.

On the other side of the ball we had Richard Smith muddling around with no idea what he was doing. I'm sure Rick Smith had input there (starting in 2007) more so than on offense and so we get crap like Amobi Okoye, Fred Bennett, Brandon Harrison, Antwaun Molden, Xavier Adibi, Frank Okam, and Dominique Barber selected.

Lots of missteps in secondary picks and just no sense that they're drafting with a plan on defense. Two years later you switch DC's and get Frank Bush in the house. He's not much better than Richard Smith but he's got a better eye for defensive talent and I imagine Rick is starting to learn some things as well. Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Glover Quin, Brice McCain show up. The next year Kareem Jackson, Earl Mitchell, and Darryl Sharpton arrive. Little bit better players than before, still no clue what to do with them but we're not drafting total crap every time we go for a defender anymore.

Wade shows up prior to 2011 and obviously he has way more input than either Richard Smith or Frank Bush had. From that point on I think the defensive picks are all Wade's and Rick isn't getting nearly as much say as before. Basically I lay the 11-13 defensive picks on Wade. Good or bad they're his guys. Rick was a yes man during this period but he must have done something right because he survived the purge. I think he got better at his job.
A good observation and analyze IMO. Kubiak established relation with McNair prior to Smith's arrival to Houston. Kubiak is the one recommended Smith to McNair. With these reasons and long time relationship between Kubiak and Smith, made Smith more passive kinda GM to Kubiak. Richard Smith and Frank Bush are just like you mentioned.

With Wade Phillips (This name means a lot in Houston including me), how can you argue with the guy who has much more experience than you and got some eyes for the talents. You can learn many things from him.

For Smith/O'Brien era, they really communicated and prepare well for this draft. Seems like O'Brien told Smith what kind of prospects he wants and Smith found those guys while staying true to big boards. This is why this year's draft made much more sense to many of the Texans' fans at least I did.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #15
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9543 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I obviously don't know for sure who was in charge of the draft but that draft sure seemed to take a turn for the worse in the 6th round. The first 5 picks were good/great and the last 5 sucked.
Thats the nature of the draft. The first few rounds are mostly impact players who will last in this league longer, they are famous for their talent and draft is exciting. The late rounds are usually unknowns who dissappear after a few years. Check last couple years drafts after top 100. Very few like Richard sherman make a name for themselves
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

None of us have any freaking idea, but if it were up to me, Playoffs description of how it worked pleases me the most.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

On the subject, here's a few quotes from O'Brien and Smith

Quote:
Texans general manager Rick Smith and coach Bill O’Brien were upbeat after Mr. Irrelevant had been called and the 2014 NFL draft was complete.

The duo were even joking.

“He’s sick of me,” O’Brien said, referring to his GM.

The new coach emphasized he was only kidding.
Quote:
“One thing I give Rick a lot of credit for is, I’m new to this process as a head football coach,” O’Brien said. “And just watching him during this process stick to the board and the communication he and I have had throughout this process, I think it’s been really good. And so to me, again, that’s what stands out about the whole three days.”
Quote:
Smith didn’t meet with Savage in Pittsburgh. But the GM wanted to exit the draft having seen players through the “same lens” as O’Brien. Their similar take on Savage captured the goal.

“Very much what (O’Brien) described is what I saw,” Smith said. “We see things very similarly.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ge/#23243101=0

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree with this. Smith has a brand new scouting dept to work with, so who would he trust enough to buck his coaching staff?
Old 05-11-2014   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I agree with this. Smith has a brand new scouting dept to work with, so who would he trust enough to buck his coaching staff?
When did Smith get a brand new scouting department that he didn't select?
Old 05-11-2014   #20
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
My recollection of Smith's brand new scouting staff was not long after Rick arrived in Houston.

Smith was an assistant GM in Denver under Shanahan w/ Shanahan having final say. Kubiak was hired long before Smith got here and Gary is on record saying he had final say on the 53 man roster. Smith has bascially learned and trained in the position of working FOR a Head Coach.

Not long after BOB was hired, several interviews were done, with some of BOB's mentors and head coaches. The one consistent and constant piece of advice that was reported BOB received was, "Make sure you're in charge". My guess is that is the case with BOB in Houston, he has final say on the 53 man roster. I don't think McNair had any problem giving BOB final say. As for Rick, it was keep calm and carry on.

As for the draft, I think it is Rick and the scouting staff who do the legwork, homework in gathering information and doing all the due diligence on the players from August through January. In January BOB and staff get involved with Rick and scouting staff. However it is BOB who prioritizes the draft and leaves it to Rick to organize and operate the draft. The final say on who the pick will be, comes from BOB and sometimes Bob. I think it may have been O'Brien trusting in his more seasoned DC Romeo Crennel on the Clowney and Nix picks, more so than Rick. ALL IMHO!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read