Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2014   #1
Brett
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Brett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anatomy Of A Great Route: How Andre Johnson Is Molding DeAndre Hopkins Into A Monster

Quote:
Everyone knows Andre Johnson is big, fast, and catches everything in his zip code. What everyone does not know, however, is that Johnson is also one of the greatest route runners to ever play the game. While Jerry Rice set unbreakable records by making every release and every cut look exactly the same on a snap-to-snap basis, Andre Johnson wins by making every route look maddeningly different. Unlike Rice, who would keep defenders guessing by not tipping his route until the last possible step, Johnson claims his victims by fooling his opponents into jumping at the wrong tipped route in the first place. A quick-footed dancer of the highest caliber, Johnson’s proficiency at stringing together multiple decoy routes into single packages has caused defenders’ heads to collectively spin for over a decade.

Some of Johnson’s finest work of the 2013 season came against the deservedly vaunted Richard Sherman and the Seattle Seahawks secondary. While 'Dre did have a fairly typical outing of nine catches for 110 yards, Johnson really turned heads (literally) in the final minutes of the fourth quarter. Lined up against the Big Bad Wolf himself, Johnson was tasked with beating Sherman on a deep out to kick start the Texans’ potentially game-winning drive. Take a look below.
Full Article: http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/4/...eandre-hopkins

Enjoy!
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 304149 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anatomy Of A Great Route: How Andre Johnson Is Molding DeAndre Hopkins Into A Mon

Great read! Thanks for posting it.

We are really going to miss AJ around these parts when he's gone.
Old 04-24-2014   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Anatomy Of A Great Route: How Andre Johnson Is Molding DeAndre Hopkins Into A Mon

Yeah Brett, thanks for posting.

Anyone notice Brooks getting totally blown up on that play?

& that's Garrett Graham on the bottom, why does he wait for the LB to engage him? The LB is clearly waiting to see what happens, why don't Graham hook him & take him with the rest of the line?
Old 04-24-2014   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I honestly don't know what I'd do in this situation if I were Schaub.

Knowing that Aj is going to break that route outside I'm happy that the FS stays high & on the hash. But with Sherman on Andre's outside hip, I'd have probably given up on that route & hit DeAndre on his outside route.

But surely Schaub's played with Andre long enough to know not to give up on that route.... tough call.
Old 04-24-2014   #5
Brett
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Brett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

To be fair he was trying to slide to take on a 5i. He's naturally at a disadvantage to someone ripping from that far outside, but I'd prefer to NOT see that happen of course.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

matt and andre had a inner uhhh comfort with each other Matt would sometimes throw to andre even if he was double teamed ifff the % was good
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 224375 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

There's a lot of good stuff in there on Hopkins. I like it.
Old 04-24-2014   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 268260 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nope.

Was too busy watching Sherman... jockstrap... seperated.

Best ever, imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

two heavyweights going at it in that replay. andre, along with possibly reggie wayne, runs the best routes in football. he beat and spun the best CB in the league last year, and sherman is somehow still there just as the ball arrives. awesome video.
Old 04-24-2014   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish I was as optimistic about Hopkins as you guys. I could pick a few plays by Gaffney where he does this stuff too.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #11
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I wish I was as optimistic about Hopkins as you guys. I could pick a few plays by Gaffney where he does this stuff too.
I agree. The one thing andre had and still have is speed. Hopkins doesn't strike fear vertically in dbs. That doesn't mean he can't or won't be a good wr. It just means he has to be more of a tactician to be effective. I think if all things are equal, posey has more physical attributes to become a #1 type wr.
Old 04-24-2014   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 224375 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I agree. The one thing andre had and still have is speed. Hopkins doesn't strike fear vertically in dbs. That doesn't mean he can't or won't be a good wr. It just means he has to be more of a tactician to be effective. I think if all things are equal, posey has more physical attributes to become a #1 type wr.
I think Hopkins is ahead of the game. He did a very good job as a rookie. He doesn't have the physical skill set that a guy like AJ has, so he'll never really be a true #1 guy. But he can be a tactician that creates separation through technique and catches everything thrown his way, because the guy does have some sticky hands. So I think he can be a good #2 WR. They're still going to need a #1 guy at some point (soon), but I'm happy Hopkins has AJ to learn from for now.

We've all seen lots of WRs come along with the physical tools, but never put it together. Hopkins has what it takes upstairs and in terms of work ethic. What he lacks in physical tools, he can overcome to a large degree.
Old 04-25-2014   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

& that's Garrett Graham on the bottom, why does he wait for the LB to engage him? The LB is clearly waiting to see what happens, why don't Graham hook him & take him with the rest of the line?
Depends how you look at it. I see it as a nice recovery and not giving up on the play. When I think of "blown up" I think of getting easily beaten and put on your ass (see Myers/Jenkins). I'd say it's a win for Brooks, but he should thank Schaub for the help.

All that said, I'm more surprised that Schaub maneuvered his way up in the pocket.
Old 04-25-2014   #14
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. I was hoping for a much larger sample size when clicking the article.
Allstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No, I don't.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #16
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

What I noticed was a bunch of pass interference that wasn't being called. At what point does pushing, grabbing and obstructing the receiver 6+ yards downfield warrant a flag?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #17
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
What I noticed was a bunch of pass interference that wasn't being called. At what point does pushing, grabbing and obstructing the receiver 6+ yards downfield warrant a flag?
When your opponent isn't Seattle. They got away with it all year long and the playoff game vs the 49ers was the most obvious of them all.
Old 04-28-2014   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 268260 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm very optimistic about DeAndre. He had the 2nd lowest dropped passes rate in the league last year, behind only Fitzgerald. Drops killed the Patriots last year.

But I've always seen Nuk as a #2. Alshon Jeffrey, Roddy White, Randall Cobb all pretty important pieces as #2s.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_as...21/hopkins.gif

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q...s-td-catch.jpg

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b...11/dehop22.gif

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpres...ver-titans.gif
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #19
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm very optimistic about DeAndre. He had the 2nd lowest dropped passes rate in the league last year, behind only Fitzgerald. Drops killed the Patriots last year.

But I've always seen Nuk as a #2. Alshon Jeffrey, Roddy White, Randall Cobb all pretty important pieces as #2s.

Nice GIFs.

Old 04-28-2014   #20
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Is it just me or has Nuk seemed to have found his version of Innegan in Jason McCourty? There may not be a large sample size here but it seems to me that the corner simply doesn't have an answer for Hopkins' sticky fingers.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read