Thumbs up or down on Alfred Blue at 6.181

• Up

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Down

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Can't say I know a lot about him. I am a little surprised that we did not go ILB or DB. Seems like a decent pick though.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I actually like Blue...SOlid down hill runner...Catches the ball well...Gan get tough yardage and can knock out some big gains if he gets space...

He's just a solid grind it out player.

He was a fan favorite at LSU.

There isn't a pick so far we've made that I don't like including this one. Not the greatest measurables, but I like how he plays football.

JMO.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Getting on these threads quick

Btw, john mcclain going absolutely crazy right now on twitter. Calling him alfred boo and saying rick smith should be fired for passing on Seatrunk.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
McStupid should be ignored. As far as 6th round picks go, this guy is just fine.

Edit - the McStupid thing was meant about McClain. Since everyone is so damn defensive around here lately, I just though I'd say that before I started another flaming war.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!

Btw, john mcclain going absolutely crazy right now on twitter. Calling him alfred boo and saying rick smith should be fired for passing on Seatrunk.
Size matters to OB. 6'3" beat out 5'9".

Or was that 9 5/8 beating out 9 1/4 ?

Rules 1 through 10 for running backs.

DON'T DROP THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Dan Shonka's scouting report...
Played in 40 games with seven starts in four years. Played in a three back rotation including Jeremy Hill this past year. Carried the load in the first game of 2013 versus TCU when Hill was suspended. He rushed for 89 yards on 19 carries. A big downhill I-formation back who runs with power and strength. Hits the whole hard and drives his legs. A developing prospect with size and draftable qualities.

Last edited:

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
I wonder which of the three RB profiles Blue was drafted for?

I don't like drafting RBs as a principle.

Nothing against this guy though seems talented and to be a system fit.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
I knew nothing about him before the pick. I like what I'm reading about him though. Solid downhill runner that catches the ball out of the backfield, he's built like Adrian Peterson & he doesn't fumble the football. He has had injury concerns and was never the main back at LSU, but for a 6th rounder: I like the pick.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
That's funny since he only caught 5 passes this past year... 16 in his career
Hey, I just quote the information. LOL

I watched some highlights of him on ytube, and he looks nice in his films. But I don't seem to remember any highlights of him catching a pass now that I think about it.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Should get plenty of play time. He doesn't have a lot of mileage and was productive, good size and good enough speed.

Every single one of our picks except Savage is going to play early and often.

nut

Veteran

mcclain is a huge Baylor cubbie fan. he is an idiot also.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
From Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah notes LSU senior RB Alfred Blue "is a smooth, gliding runner with excellent hands."

Speaking of Blue, Jeremiah observed the running back "lacks ideal stop/start quicks but he finishes every run."

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Injuries were the norm for him at LSU.

If healthy, we're potentially looking at the next Eddie George.

Not expecting much out of him for 2014. Third-string back at best behind Arian Foster and Andre Brown. I think Alfred Blue can beat out Dennis Johnson for the third-string spot.

Future could be bright for Alfred Blue. Should have been a high first-round pick if his college career at LSU wasn't so disappointing. The kid is a beast and can play at a high level if healthy.

That's the thing guys. We have Foster, Brown, Blue. All three are amazing when they're healthy. Key word: Healthy. None of them will do us any good if injured.

LikeMike

Veteran
I find it kinda funny when people are freaking out over 6th round picks. All of the prospects at this time have question marks and for most there is a reason why they slipped. Right now I only look at position and strengths and weaknesses and trust our coaches and scouts with the rest. They've probably watched a ton of tape and might even have worked out with them in person.

A powerful runner that can catch the ball? I am in...

Texn4life

All Pro
mcclain is a huge Baylor cubbie fan. he is an idiot also.
McClain is in fact an idiot, but I like Seastrunk better in this offense as well as a compliment to the backs we have right now. I guess they feel comfortable with Dennis Johnson as a change of pace back if he's kept on the roster.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
McClain is in fact an idiot, but I like Seastrunk better in this offense as well as a compliment to the backs we have right now. I guess they feel comfortable with Dennis Johnson as a change of pace back if he's kept on the roster.
We really don't know what "this offense" is, yet.

HuttoKarl

Veteran
Isn't Seastrunk kind of a dipstick? For some reason that name rings a bell in a bad way.

Who calls for the GM to be fired over a 6th round pick? As if McNeckroll scouted 500+ players.

Even most draftniks generally don't know much outside of the 150-200 most high profile prospects, and McLizardneck is certainly not anything close to a draftnik.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I love it. I want to see us run the ball down other teams throats. Ground and pound em. On defense swarm to the ball, create havoc.
It certainly seems that's the direction we are going in. I'm not complaining a bit considering the QB situation.

Texn4life

All Pro
We really don't know what "this offense" is, yet.
True, but O'Brien has said he likes to be able to do different things on offense and be multiple. I'm not complaining about the pick, but for the sake of versatility I think Lache could have been a better option. He is kind of arrogant and a knucklehead, but he's pretty damn explosive too.

drs23

Veteran
True, but O'Brien has said he likes to be able to do different things on offense and be multiple. I'm not complaining about the pick, but for the sake of versatility I think Lache could have been a better option. He is kind of arrogant and a knucklehead, but he's pretty damn explosive too.
Exactly the kind of guys O'Brien steers clear of and is on record of saying "Smart and team" since day one. Arrogant and knucklehead need not apply.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
Blue is a great pick. I've seen enough LSU football to be able to tell you that. I love love love this pick at this round.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Blue is a great pick. I've seen enough LSU football to be able to tell you that. I love love love this pick at this round.
I like this pick. Blue is somewhat a hard nose runner like Tate.
He can complement Foster well.
We've already have several smaller backs on the team.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
I like this pick. Blue is somewhat a hard nose runner like Tate.
He can complement Foster well.
We've already have several smaller backs on the team.
Yes, it'll be nice to have a bigger bruiser. I think he will help in goal line and short yardage situation and hopefully keep some mileage off Foster.

Wolf6151

All Pro
When you consider Lache Seastrunk was still on the board and we took a low mileage rotational depth player, I SMH at this pick.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So I have no idea what to think of this pick, except a lot of people besides John Mcclain seem to think the Baylor RB would have been a better choice ?

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
So I have no idea what to think of this pick, except a lot of people besides John Mcclain seem to think the Baylor RB would have been a better choice ?
Lache caught zero passes out of the backfield whereas Blue is a good receiver out of the backfield .

bhsman

Rookie
Blue showed a lot of promise in 2011 as part of a rotation and was great for red-zone carries as he's a huge dude already and picks up a lot of momentum going forward (and is hard to stop when he's at full speed; the lack of quick-start/stop ability comments by scouting reports don't surprise me but I'm not upset by them, either). As an aside his house actually burned down in 2011 just before the Kentucky game IIRC but he came in and played well, garnering 72 yards (again, as part of a rotation of backs when Spencer Ware was the go-to guy).

In 2012 he came in and was talked up as being the 3-down back (while still making use of Ware and the other backs as part of a rotation) and had some good games but injured his ACL. The LSU running game sputtered until they decided to start Jeremy Hill who blew up against South Carolina, at which point Blue became buried on the depth chart.

When Hill was suspended for the start of 2013, Blue took up the role of traditional back whereas Terrance Magee was used as a more traditional halfback, and Blue ran well. As soon as Hill was back, Blue again fell behind on the depth chart. On the other hand, this also means he doesn't have a lot of wear-and-tear compared to other running backs coming out of college.