Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014   #121
drs23 
Veteran
 
drs23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Age: 57
Posts: 4,480
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Greatest on-sides kickoff ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JHECblcKko
That's for sure the first time I've seen that!
__________________

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #122
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man
 
Thorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston
Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Age: 63
Posts: 22,352
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That's for sure the first time I've seen that!
totally cool!!!
__________________


"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #123
Speedy
Yeller Dweller
 
Speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Livable Forest
Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Posts: 3,200
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home team fan View Post
Not healthy ( stroke )
That was Malcolm Young not Angus.
__________________

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #124
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame
 
WolverineFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,691
Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Did you scout Brock Coyle from Montana? I think he's the protypical lb of the future, an over sized safety that never comes off the field. He went to seattle UDFA and if he doesn't make their squad I hope we scoop him up. Does everything well and is extremely quick. Bullough reminds me of the second coming of idiot cannonball, constantly shooting the wrong gap with his hair on fire.
I did not. I'm aware of him because I took a good look at Jordan Tripp, but did not focus on Coyle much at all. I know he had a tremendous pro day.
__________________
"Those who stay will be champions."

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #125
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,177
Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

I wish the Texans would give fellow Gamecock alum Victor Hampton a look. He would be an upgrade at nickel CB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #126
b0ng
Ooops
 
b0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 34
Posts: 7,769
Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Greatest on-sides kickoff ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JHECblcKko
Only 2 words:

holy and ****
__________________
Į\_(ツ)_/Į
http://www.thedrawplay.com/?p=88
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #127
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor
 
kiwitexansfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Age: 37
Posts: 9,411
Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Credit goes to some dude in the comments section of BattleRedBlog.



Nathan Slaughter

STRENGTHS Very well put together for his size. Has a 44 1/2-inch vertical jump. Displays top-end, finishing speed in the return game and can pull away from the pack (returned three kickoffs for TDs as a senior). Tracks the ball well over his shoulder and is a reliable catcher. Scraps and battles for extra yardage after the catch. Gritty blocker. Flashes explosive, playmaking ability. Nice vision and creativity after the catch. Rare speed to scream off edge in blocking situations.

WEAKNESSES Small and a bit straight-linish, gearing down to cut. Ran a simple route tree and does not separate with much savvy. Drifts in his routes. Could stand to do a better job stemming and setting up defensive backs. Was not challenged by Lone Star Football Conference competition.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE Possesses rare speed and leaping ability to factor immediately in the return game and bring additional value as a slot receiver. Unique athletic traits could allow him to overcome lack of size.

Chris Boswell

STRENGTHS Very good leg strength to convert consistently beyond 50 yards, with 13 career 50-yard-plus field goals. Consistently drives the ball through the end zone on kickoffs. Has proven he can handle pressure. Works at his craft. Confident approach. Outstanding career production ó Rice career record-holder in many categories. Four-year starter.

WEAKNESSES Marginal rise, lift and hang-time on kickoffs. Tends to line the ball with a low trajectory. Could stand to hasten his approach (8 career missed extra-point attempts). Has a quirky follow-through.

DRAFT PROJECTION Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE Tall, right-footed, 3-by-2 kicker with NFL starter-caliber leg strength and kickoff potential.

Chris Martin

STRENGTHS Good overall mass and weight-room strength. Flashes some straight-line power and nastiness to finish blocks. Has enough strength to hold the point of attack.

WEAKNESSES Tight-crotched, short-stepper with limited blocking range. Has short arms and plays short-armed with limited extension and reach. Has a soft punch and is more of a grabber than a puncher. Does not play strong in the run game. Overextends and falls off blocks easily. Feet tend to die on contact. Marginal balance ó spends too much time on the ground.

DRAFT PROJECTION Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE A big-bodied, grabber lacking the length and agility ideally suited to handle the edges and the core strength desired on the inside. Has a chance when he plays square and has an angle, but athletic limitations could always be restricting.

Matt Feiler

STRENGTHS Outstanding size. Good upper-body strength. Can control and steer blockers when he gets his hands on them. Flashes pop in his punch.

WEAKNESSES Not a natural bender. Limited explosion and balance. Spends too much time on the ground. Marginal arm length and agility to cut off the rush and handle edge speed. Late to hit a moving target.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7 or priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE Top-heavy, thick-bodied, short-armed plodder best in a phone booth. College left tackle who needs to move inside for a man-blocking, power-based offensive line to fend for a roster spot in the pros.

Anthony Denham

STRENGTHS Outstanding size and overall length (body and arms). Can climb the ladder to secure the ball. Effective outside-the-numbers/red-zone target.

WEAKNESSES Marginal play speed. Does not sell his routes and gives up break points. Struggles to beat the jam, and most catches are contested. Does not keep working to uncover or show much awareness for zones. Disinterested, lackadaisical blocker. No special-teams value.

BOTTOM LINE Long-limbed, high-cut possession receiver must learn what it means to be a pro to stand a chance to realize his potential. Very raw size prospect. Was invited to the combine as a tight end and proving he could project to the position in spring workouts could enhance his draft status.

Chris Coyle
http://www.houseofsparky.com/2014/5/...istopher-coyle

Strengths: Coyle has always that play-making potential that he showed off in that 2012 game against Illinois. Itís performances like that may make teams want to take a flier on him. He is quick for a tight end, running the 40-yard dash in as a little as 4.86 seconds.

Weaknesses: He regressed a little in 2013 after a standout 2012, seeing his receptions, touchdowns and yardage numbers all drop. He is undersized for a tight end, and will likely need to put on some weight to help with his blocking.

Outlook: NFL teams will be wary to take him after disappointing in his senior season after showing so much promise in 2012. He is quick, but other tight end prospects are quicker. Teams in need of tight ends will likely spend one of their precious seven picks on a higher-upside player.

Max Bullough

STRENGTHS Terrific football intelligence. Keys and diagnoses quickly, understands run fits and spills willingly. Physical ó good take-on/tackle strengh between the tackles. Pursues hard. Good tackler when heís able to square up ball carriers. Two-year captain with outstanding football character. Leads vocally and by example. Football is in his blood and approaches the game accordingly. His 30 bench-press reps were tied for most among linebackers at the combine.

WEAKNESSES Average athlete. Not explosive. Tight hips (exposed in space). Limited foot speed, lateral agility and range. Can be late to the perimeter. Struggles in man coverage and is stiff dropping/turning in coverage. Non-explosive athlete: His 31-inch vertical and 9-foot, 3-inch broad jump were among the worst posted by linebackers at the combine.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5

BOTTOM LINE Big, tough, experienced, durable, competitive Mike linebacker who was a heart-and-soul type for the stingiest defense in college football. Like a coach on the field, Bullough is a throwback talent whose instincts and technique will have to compensate for athletic limitations for him to win a starting role.

Marcus Williams
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2...ate-cornerback

Strengths

Williams was ridiculously productive at North Dakota State. He has an eye for the ball and was an absolute ballhawk. He was also productive on kick returns. He is very good at mirroring wide receivers in coverage and knows how to be physical without drawing flags. He has solid instincts and can play press or off-man coverage. He is the type of cornerback that may give up a catch but will not give up much YAC (similar to Cary Williams). Williams is a nasty hitter when given the chance. He also plays the ball in the air with patience and confidence.

Weaknesses

Williams does not backpedal and likely was not coached on it. The technique is almost mandatory at the NFL level and he will need serious coaching on that aspect. He dominated small school talent, where he was clearly the most talented defensive player in the conference. He tends to sometimes forget about the ball in coverage and fails to turn around to avoid flags or produce another interception. He has average to mediocre speed and fails to catch up at times if heís beat on a long ball. He will bite on fakes at times.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2014   #128
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Playoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,362
Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
Bester likely to become a fan favorite in camp, McClung as well.

Quote:
Slaughter is the flash guy. Just an early guess but Id expect Travis Labhart to push Mike Thomas for slot role. McClung will excite, though

It depends on what Bill O'Brien wants out of the slot position. McClung is the most exciting, but not as dependable as Labhart.

Slaughter accels well on bubble, drags, etc. Shifty and fast in the kick return game.

Nathan Slaughter: 4.3 speed, doesn't always show on film. Willing over the middle. Insane vert / speed / broad. Tests off the charts.
Quote:
Labhart doesn't have long speed or acceleration. Dependable slot receiver.

Labhart catches naturally with his hands. Quick in and out of his breaks. Has a nasty, quick cut block. Willing blocker for teammates.

Travis Labhart: Great jab step, best route runner out of the 4. Makes precise cut off inside foot. Finds holes in zone. Killer out & up.
Quote:
McClung doesn't like to block & he's got a hop in his route before cuts. He'll have to polish this aspect up. Similar to Jacoby Jones

Anthony McClung: Highly productive, real shifty. Instant acceleration, very quick. Quick get off. But crucial drops / mistakes in games.
Quote:
I wouldn't expect Bester to make the 2014 #Texans roster, but an ideal candidate for the P Squad. Tons of upside. Immediate YAC ability.

Out of the 4 WRs Bester has the potential to be a star, but he has a lot of developing to do. Similar to a shorter Justin Hunter.

Lacoltan Bester: Scored 17 TDs in 1 season at junior college before transfer to Oklahoma. Quick accel off line, elusive in space. Very RAW
Texans are reportedly bringing in 4 UDFA WRs. Lacoltan Bester / Anthony McClung / Travis Labhart / Nathan Slaughter. Here's my thoughts:
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #129
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Playoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,362
Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
Chris Young is a slow ILB with limited range, very limited range. He's a 2 down ILB. I'd be surprised if he makes the 53.

Chris Young doesn't separate well from blocks. Smart tackler that always goes lows & takes out the legs. He helps vs run. Decent blitzer.

IF Max Bullough plays like the games of his that I saw in 2012, he's a no-brainer, ILB for the #Texans. 2013 Bullough is a push.

Bullough took smart angles & good straight line speed. For whatever reason his 2013 film wasn't as impressive. 2012 Bullough makes the 53

In 2012 Max Bullough had decent coverage, got off blocks w/ ease & force vs RBs. Could fight thru double teams &/or shoot gaps. Instinctual

Max Bullough & Chris Young are 2 guys that will come in and copete at ILB as well. Here's some thoughts on those two. #Texans

Chris McAllister is built & plays more like an ILB in Crennel's 3-4. None of his game is intriguing as a pass rusher. ILB could translate

Lloyd has the ability to flatten, but winning is the key. He has so much too develop, he wouldn't be a priority P-squad player IMO. Jack OLB

Terrance Lloyd gets out of position far too often & bites on ball fakes. Decent edge rush, 1 dimensional. Gets manhandled at times. Light

Terrance Lloyd & Chris McAllister were both DEs at Baylor. Both fit at different positions in Crennel's defense. Lloyd as OLB McAllister ILB

Henry could be used as a pass rush specialist, very shifty. Has to add weight. 238 lbs at pro day. Could earn 1 of 8 PS spots & add weight

Cory Henry: Quick get off. Leverage & fight. Made tackle 40 yds downfield. Good off arm pressure. Decent edge speed & dip. Agile & elusive.

Ankrah has strength, but needs to increase full body strength to win w/ more than technique. I expect him to make the 53 man #Texans roster

Jason Ankrah plays w/ leverage & very active. Low pad level, beautiful, natural swim. Arms & legs always moving. Can set the edge.

Jason Ankrah & Cory Henry are the most intriguing of the guys I pegged as 3-4 OLBs.

#Texans bringing in several LBs and DEs. Watching them to see how they should transition in Romeo's 3-4. DEs / DTs / ILBs / OLBs .

Feiler is a wildcard if they plan on moving him to OG for the Texans. He wouldn't be asked to kick wide. Learning curve vs potential. ??

Matt Feiler routinely crosses legs vs speed. Good tech & base vs bull rush. Good quick kick. Played OT, but 32" arms. Weak LOC as well.

Forsch doesn't anchor well & almost always lunges in pass pro. IMO, he'll be released w/o invite to the PS.

Kevin Forsch & Matt Feiler both should play inside in camp. Forsch struggles w/ the bull rush in pass pro. Mauler in run game, weak vs pass.

Bryan Witzmann & Chris Martin are both likely to stay at OT. Witzmann can make the 53 IMO. Martin could be a steal in 1-2 yrs of p-squad.

Martin has a good level base, lunges on insides move, raw w/ technique flaws. Opens hip inside or outside at times. Tons of upside.

Chris Martin: Former TE w/ good base. Bites hard on inside move. Weakness vs shiftiness. Has to improve hand placement. Tons of potential.

Witzmann showed the most potential, IMO, of the UDFA OTs. Level of comp is always an issue, but looked at home vs Nebraska.

Bryan Witzmann: Has a mean streak. Plays w/ quick feet & good leverage, especially for 6'7. Mammoth mauler w/ good feet.

Bryan Witzmann / Chris Martin / Kevin Forsch / Matt Feiler. Here's some of the O-linemen trying to earn a spot on the 53 & where I project

Studied some more on the #Texans UDFAs last night. I'll finish up later this evening. Here's some thoughts.

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-15-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #130
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,061
Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Bryan Witzmann actually reminds me of Charles Spencer..........he's not mean...........he's nasty!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #131
CuseFan
Rookie
 
CuseFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0 CuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respectedCuseFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Little trivia - Jason Ankrah and Alec Lemon played against each other in the Maryland State high school championship game.

Btw - hadn't seen it mentioned in the forum yet. Lemon took his college # back, he's now #15. EZ is now #17.
CuseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #132
El Tejano
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,824
Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Is Nathan Slaughter son of Webster Slaughter?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #133
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame
 
DX-TEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,574
Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Is Nathan Slaughter son of Webster Slaughter?
I googled it and found an interview with him. He says he grew up without a father.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #134
michaelm
vox nihili
 
michaelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring, TX
Section: 648
Age: 48
Posts: 5,670
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Is Nathan Slaughter son of Webster Slaughter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I googled it and found an interview with him. He says he grew up without a father.
That doesn't necessarily eliminate Webster from being his father, though...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #135
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame
 
xtruroyaltyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,196
Rep Power: 104195 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Slaughter:

Quote:
If you could compare your play to one person in the NFL who would it be?

Guys like Ty Hilton and Julian Eldeman. Their ability to impact the game from different positions across the offense, as well as in the return game are things I can do as well.


What system fits your style of play the best?

Teams that spread defenses out and get athletes in space suit my style of play, such as the Patriots, Saints, Broncos and Colts.
http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/draft-di...kr-west-texas/
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #136
ObsiWan
Site Contributor
 
ObsiWan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: League City, Tx
Age: 62
Posts: 14,502
Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
That doesn't necessarily eliminate Webster from being his father, though...
No, technically, it doesn't. But Webster isn't his father.
With a little Googling I found this...
Quote:
Upon retirement, Slaughter devoted more time to his family. He and Stacey, who teaches at St. Lawrence Christian Academy, live in Missouri City, Texas. They have four children: Shanelle, who just began her freshman year at the University of Texas-San Antonio on a track scholarship; Saschelle, who's 13 years old; Shantelle, 8; and Webster III, 6.
Note that the article was written in 2005 which should make the 6-year-old son around 15 these days.

This tells me that's not Webster Slaughter's son.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #137
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Playoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,362
Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

ILB Max Bullough
(on what he learned yesterday) ďA lot. Weíve been learning a lot ever since we got here. Obviously, just trying to get started with the new playbook, the new defense, getting to know the guys, the teammates, the coaches. I think thatís as big as anything when you come into a new place. Obviously, learning the playbook and things like that, but getting to know the guys around you; who you play next to, who youíre playing against and the coaching staff obviously is new here and new to all of us.Ē

(on his first impressions of everything the first day of rookie mini-camp) ďEverything has been good since Iíve been here. Itís been an exciting experience for me. Itís something Iíve wanted to do since I was a little kid and Iíve enjoyed every minute of it. The coaching staff obviously is a great coaching staff. The guys have a lot of experience. The people Iíve been playing with, my teammates, theyíre great. Theyíve been through similar things as I have. Thatís whatís cool when you get to this part of the process. Guys have been through the same things. Guys have been through high school, college and now weíre all kind of moving forward.Ē

(on what it was like to go undrafted after all the success he had playing college) ďTo be honest with you, itís not about how I got here. Itís not about what I did in college. Itís not about any of that because none of that matters for any of us now. Whether youíre me or anyone else, whatís important now is Iím in Houston doing things that I think are positive, moving myself and this team forward and trying to implement myself in this program the best way I can.Ē

(on if Hank Bullough is his grandfather) ďMy grandfather, yes sir.Ē

(on how tough it was to go through the draft process and not get drafted) ďTo be honest with you, Iíve really moved on from anything except these last few days in Houston. It doesnít matter how any of us got here. What matters is weíre here. Weíre trying to be coached as well as we can. Weíre trying to get to know each other, trying to learn the playbook, especially for a guy in my position. Iím just trying to do the things I can do to move forward as a player and as a team.Ē

(on his relationship with his grandfather and what heís meant to him) ďMy grandfather has been great for me. Heís been a guy thatís been a leader, a role model for me, someone thatís been through a lot of the similar things I have, in terms of playing football around the game. (He) knows a lot about it. Knows the stresses of it, the pressures, the positive and negatives. Him and my whole family combined have been a great resource for me, whether itís at Michigan State, high school and now that Iím trying out in the pros.Ē

(on carrying on the family name and how special that is moving forward) ďItís a name that Iíve been honored to carry, obviously since I was born. At Michigan State, it held a lot of weight and thatís something Iím used to. I look at it as a positive, as an advantage; I can go to people that understand what Iím going through, as opposed to a stresser.Ē

(on what other advantages he has with the football lineage in his family) ďI think itís tough. Obviously, I have talking to (his grandfather). But I think for the most part thatís where it ends, in my opinion. Iíve been around the game a long time. I understand the game. I have a love for the game like they do, so thatís instilled in me since I was a young kid. But really once you get to this level, the college level and at this level; itís about what you can do for us now, what you can put on film. Your film is your resume and thatís something that Iím taking part in now.Ē

(on if he agrees with the notion that his football IQ could set him apart from others) ďIíll definitely say that learning the game of football is something that I enjoy. I think thatís something thatís good for me because I enjoy the game. I enjoy the chess match of it, the Xís and Oís of it. When you enjoy something, you do it and you look farther into it and thatís as simple as it is with me. Yeah, I was around football for a while, but I didnít know anything about football going into Michigan State. I didnít know anything when I got there. Everything was new to me. Now itís just about learning new systems.Ē

(on his thoughts on his opportunity playing linebacker with the Texans) ďI mean, to be honest with you my whole focus, everything that is in my mind is do what I got to do in the next half hour to be ready for the next meeting, and take notes in the next meeting, do whatever I have to do to be the best player I can be. And then give myself a shot. We are all here trying to make this team no matter how you got here and that is what Iím excited to be a part of. I enjoy the competition. That is something that I have always loved.Ē

(on why he thought Houston was the best opportunity for him) ďLike I said, the way I got here whether it was a first round draft pick, undrafted, or whatever it was, Iím here now and that is whatís important. Iím trying to make the Texans a better organization.Ē

(on what heís trying to prove to the coaches during mini-camp) ďI think you have to show that you are going to be a professional, you have to show that you are willing to work hard, that you are going to pay attention and focus and be coachable. That is one thing in the NFL, I think Coach OíBrien has stressed. You have to be coachable and someone who can take in information and translate that and perform on the field. And be a good teammate. Itís always different environment whether going to a new classroom as a kid, or a new team, or a new coach. You have to get to know the people around you and that is how you are going to be the best unit you can possibly be.Ē

(on his off-the-field issues in the past) ďI think anytime you are in this situation you focus on your positives as a player, you understand your strengths, and then you attack and try to overcome any weaknesses or try to make those strengths for yourself. Iím in this position now because of whatever I did in the past, or what I didnít do in the past whether it be good or bad, but at the end of the day we are all here doing the same thing, we are in the same meeting rooms, and we are trying to become Houston Texans come fall.Ē

(on why he was suspended at the Rose Bowl) ďIím not talking about anything in the past. Iím looking forward to the future with the Texans.Ē

(on what he knows about LB Brian Cushing) ďI admire a lot of the players around the NFL, all the players, all the veterans, theyíve been through a lot, they kind of know the deal. As rookies, we donít really know what is going on, we donít know the playbook, we donít know what the relationships are like, we donít know even how to act in certain situations. I have a lot of respect for all the veterans. Theyíve been here, theyíve done it, they understand the work ethic, they understand little intricacies of the game we may not know as rookies. Iím looking forward to being around all the veterans and learning things from them.Ē

(on what it was like to line up next to Jadeveon Clowney at his first practice) ďItís been great lining up against everybody. There are a lot of great players around here no matter how they got here. Iíve just been focusing on trying to do my job, trying to do what I can do be focused, to be prepared, to pay attention and line up and be ready for the next play.Ē

(on what itís like learning from Mike Vrabel) ďI think itís always great when you can learn from a coach who obviously has the experience and the excitement and shares that emotion with you. I think that is something the next player is going to have innately. Heís been, along with all of the coaching staff, they have all been very helpful and trying to teach us in a way we understand, a way that we can learn and itís different for each player and Iíve had a positive experience with Coach Vrabel thus far.Ē
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #138
Insideop
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the "Control Room"
Age: 59
Posts: 1,728
Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
ILB Max Bullough
(on what he learned yesterday) ďA lot. Weíve been learning a lot ever since we got here. Obviously, just trying to get started with the new playbook, the new defense, getting to know the guys, the teammates, the coaches. I think thatís as big as anything when you come into a new place. Obviously, learning the playbook and things like that, but getting to know the guys around you; who you play next to, who youíre playing against and the coaching staff obviously is new here and new to all of us.Ē

(on his first impressions of everything the first day of rookie mini-camp) ďEverything has been good since Iíve been here. Itís been an exciting experience for me. Itís something Iíve wanted to do since I was a little kid and Iíve enjoyed every minute of it. The coaching staff obviously is a great coaching staff. The guys have a lot of experience. The people Iíve been playing with, my teammates, theyíre great. Theyíve been through similar things as I have. Thatís whatís cool when you get to this part of the process. Guys have been through the same things. Guys have been through high school, college and now weíre all kind of moving forward.Ē

(on what it was like to go undrafted after all the success he had playing college) ďTo be honest with you, itís not about how I got here. Itís not about what I did in college. Itís not about any of that because none of that matters for any of us now. Whether youíre me or anyone else, whatís important now is Iím in Houston doing things that I think are positive, moving myself and this team forward and trying to implement myself in this program the best way I can.Ē

(on if Hank Bullough is his grandfather) ďMy grandfather, yes sir.Ē

(on how tough it was to go through the draft process and not get drafted) ďTo be honest with you, Iíve really moved on from anything except these last few days in Houston. It doesnít matter how any of us got here. What matters is weíre here. Weíre trying to be coached as well as we can. Weíre trying to get to know each other, trying to learn the playbook, especially for a guy in my position. Iím just trying to do the things I can do to move forward as a player and as a team.Ē

(on his relationship with his grandfather and what heís meant to him) ďMy grandfather has been great for me. Heís been a guy thatís been a leader, a role model for me, someone thatís been through a lot of the similar things I have, in terms of playing football around the game. (He) knows a lot about it. Knows the stresses of it, the pressures, the positive and negatives. Him and my whole family combined have been a great resource for me, whether itís at Michigan State, high school and now that Iím trying out in the pros.Ē

(on carrying on the family name and how special that is moving forward) ďItís a name that Iíve been honored to carry, obviously since I was born. At Michigan State, it held a lot of weight and thatís something Iím used to. I look at it as a positive, as an advantage; I can go to people that understand what Iím going through, as opposed to a stresser.Ē

(on what other advantages he has with the football lineage in his family) ďI think itís tough. Obviously, I have talking to (his grandfather). But I think for the most part thatís where it ends, in my opinion. Iíve been around the game a long time. I understand the game. I have a love for the game like they do, so thatís instilled in me since I was a young kid. But really once you get to this level, the college level and at this level; itís about what you can do for us now, what you can put on film. Your film is your resume and thatís something that Iím taking part in now.Ē

(on if he agrees with the notion that his football IQ could set him apart from others) ďIíll definitely say that learning the game of football is something that I enjoy. I think thatís something thatís good for me because I enjoy the game. I enjoy the chess match of it, the Xís and Oís of it. When you enjoy something, you do it and you look farther into it and thatís as simple as it is with me. Yeah, I was around football for a while, but I didnít know anything about football going into Michigan State. I didnít know anything when I got there. Everything was new to me. Now itís just about learning new systems.Ē

(on his thoughts on his opportunity playing linebacker with the Texans) ďI mean, to be honest with you my whole focus, everything that is in my mind is do what I got to do in the next half hour to be ready for the next meeting, and take notes in the next meeting, do whatever I have to do to be the best player I can be. And then give myself a shot. We are all here trying to make this team no matter how you got here and that is what Iím excited to be a part of. I enjoy the competition. That is something that I have always loved.Ē

(on why he thought Houston was the best opportunity for him) ďLike I said, the way I got here whether it was a first round draft pick, undrafted, or whatever it was, Iím here now and that is whatís important. Iím trying to make the Texans a better organization.Ē

(on what heís trying to prove to the coaches during mini-camp) ďI think you have to show that you are going to be a professional, you have to show that you are willing to work hard, that you are going to pay attention and focus and be coachable. That is one thing in the NFL, I think Coach OíBrien has stressed. You have to be coachable and someone who can take in information and translate that and perform on the field. And be a good teammate. Itís always different environment whether going to a new classroom as a kid, or a new team, or a new coach. You have to get to know the people around you and that is how you are going to be the best unit you can possibly be.Ē

(on his off-the-field issues in the past) ďI think anytime you are in this situation you focus on your positives as a player, you understand your strengths, and then you attack and try to overcome any weaknesses or try to make those strengths for yourself. Iím in this position now because of whatever I did in the past, or what I didnít do in the past whether it be good or bad, but at the end of the day we are all here doing the same thing, we are in the same meeting rooms, and we are trying to become Houston Texans come fall.Ē

(on why he was suspended at the Rose Bowl) ďIím not talking about anything in the past. Iím looking forward to the future with the Texans.Ē

(on what he knows about LB Brian Cushing) ďI admire a lot of the players around the NFL, all the players, all the veterans, theyíve been through a lot, they kind of know the deal. As rookies, we donít really know what is going on, we donít know the playbook, we donít know what the relationships are like, we donít know even how to act in certain situations. I have a lot of respect for all the veterans. Theyíve been here, theyíve done it, they understand the work ethic, they understand little intricacies of the game we may not know as rookies. Iím looking forward to being around all the veterans and learning things from them.Ē

(on what it was like to line up next to Jadeveon Clowney at his first practice) ďItís been great lining up against everybody. There are a lot of great players around here no matter how they got here. Iíve just been focusing on trying to do my job, trying to do what I can do be focused, to be prepared, to pay attention and line up and be ready for the next play.Ē

(on what itís like learning from Mike Vrabel) ďI think itís always great when you can learn from a coach who obviously has the experience and the excitement and shares that emotion with you. I think that is something the next player is going to have innately. Heís been, along with all of the coaching staff, they have all been very helpful and trying to teach us in a way we understand, a way that we can learn and itís different for each player and Iíve had a positive experience with Coach Vrabel thus far.Ē
I like this guy a lot and I was hoping the Texans would draft him in the middle rounds. To get him as an UDFA has the potential to turn out like Foster did when they signed him as an UDFA. I know he's not the most athletic but he plays with a lot of heart and toughness. Hope he makes the 53 man roster. Was hoping they'd sign his teammate too from Michigan St., Isaiah Lewis, SS.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #139
sbalderrama
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 96 sbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

"Savage to Slaughter" has to become a thing, just because.
sbalderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014   #140
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Playoffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,362
Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2014 UDFAs

Somebody had a good enough rookie minicamp...

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
#Texans invited DT Julius Warmsley for try out. now have signed him. 1st-team All-Conf USA. Led Tulane in TFL (18.5) 3rd in sacks (6.0).
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
Warmsley was in rookie camp as a tryout player. He's a 6-2, 296-pound nose tackle from Tulane.

According to agent @Alliance_Sports DT Julius Warmsley has signed with the #Texans
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger