Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-29-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 232779 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default UDFA TE Anthony Denham's road took him 'to hell and back'

Video from FOX26: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/25...anged-his-life

Anthony Denham's road took him 'to hell and back'

Quote:
ďWhatís harder is whatís best,Ē Denham said. ďWhatís easy is not the way. It donít take nothing to drop out. It donít take nothing to choose the wrong path. You donít have to think to do certain things. When youíre thinking, youíre on the right path. When youíre thinking, your mind is good. Just stay focused and maintain your goals. Set them. Set goals.Ē

That mentality took a while for Denham to develop. He grew up in Pasadena, Calif., a suburb of Los Angeles. In addition to his motherís drug problems, he had no contact with his father. His mother was in and out of jail during his childhood.

In elementary school, wanting to be like his older brothers and cousins, there were days when he didnít get up to go to school. He guesses he missed school more than he attended in fifth and sixth grade.

One day Denhamís great grandmother had enough of his motherís inability to take care of her children. She called child protective services and had them removed. 11-year-old Anthony Denham was taken from his family and placed into foster care, he often felt alone.
Quote:
"When I moved into the foster home, just being around everybody that wasnít like me, not being from that culture, I was just like, 'Whatís the point?'" Denham said. "'Everybodyís different. I donít fit in this area because itís predominantly Hispanic.' I was like, 'I could at any moment just leave.' But I didnít do that. I stayed positive and just focused. I had a goal. My goal was to do my best and make it to the NFL."
Quote:
He passed the classes he took in high school, but was missing a core class he needed to qualify to play at a Division 1 college. So Denham went to East Los Angeles College instead, and worked his way up to a Division I program.

"Very shy, very reserved kid that didnít talk much," said Nick Garrett, then an assistant at East L.A. College who recruited Denham. "Just kind of kept to himself a lot. He had a hard time trusting people and dealing with people. ... My impressions of Anthony, heís a quiet kid, very respectful kid. Once you earn his trust he would run through a brick wall for you."

He became a two-time junior college All-American, the top receiver in junior college and earned scholarship offers from a handful of schools. He chose Utah
Quote:
"I see [my mother's] situation and I know sometimes you canít beat drugs. Itís really up to her. Itís all in her head. Sheís been in and out of jail a majority of my life, but every time she sees me she canít do nothing but cry...

" ... I look at it all the time like, man, Iíve been through hell and back. Honestly, Iíve really been there. Iíve always managed to find positive and upside to every negative situation. You know what they say in math, a negative and a negative is a positive. So everything that happened negative turned into the situation I have today."
A'ight, I'm pulling for this kid. Geez.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: UDFA TE Anthony Denham's road took him 'to hell and back'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
No kidding. X2 pulling for him.
Old 05-29-2014   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Count me in, too!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good looking upper physique. I love hearing stories not only about the kid but someone helping. Sorry that grandma couldn't raise him and he went foster care but definitely better than what mom was doing.
Old 05-29-2014   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, really hope he makes it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read