Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-21-2014   #1
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8022 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Chopping Block

610 was going over a list they had of players that they think are on the bubble of being cut/released. Here is my list in no particular order.

5. Chris Myers
4. Shiloh Keo
3. Whitney Mercilus/Brooks Reed ( one or the other)
2. Keyshawn Martin
1. Case Keenum
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #2
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Chopping Block

Welp semi-related to this.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 9m
Quote:
#Texans have waived OT Brennan Williams with Failed physical designation per @FieldYates
I think you're right on Keo and Martin. Have to think on the others.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83884 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post

About time.

Brennan was a good guy, but he should've never been drafted by us. Injuries, and honestly his film wasn't that good either.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #4
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
610 was going over a list they had of players that they think are on the bubble of being cut/released. Here is my list in no particular order.

5. Chris Myers - TOO THIN IN OL TO RELEASE HIM.
4. Shiloh Keo - YOU MAY BE RIGHT.
3. Whitney Mercilus/Brooks Reed ( one or the other) - YOU MAY BE RIGHT - I'D BET ON MERCILUS BEFORE REED.
2. Keyshawn Martin - PERHAPS.
1. Case Keenum - UNLESS THEY ACQUIRE ANOTHER QB, I DOUBT THEY WOULD GO INTO THE SEASON WITH ONLY A ROOKIE AS BACKUP.
see above
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My top 6.

1.Martin
2.Keo
3.Bullock
4. Trevardo Williams
5. Dennis Johnson
6. Tim Jamison

Glad to see the failed Brennan Williams experiment is finally over.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #6
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83884 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Gonna go with Martin and Keo. I don't think either one of those guys will make it.

Other players I'm not sure about.

If Trevardo doesn't get healthy he'll be gone. If he looks like he looked last pre-season, he'll be gone. If he shows some playmaking with his athleticism he might be worth keeping around.

I don't know about this group of RB's. I really like them all. That's going to be a tough cut. I'm a big Grimes, Johnson and Blue fan.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #7
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8022 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
My top 6.

1.Martin
2.Keo
3.Bullock
4. Trevardo Williams
5. Dennis Johnson
6. Tim Jamison

I was looking forward to seeing Trevardo play
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2014   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Gonna go with Martin and Keo. I don't think either one of those guys will make it.

Other players I'm not sure about.

If Trevardo doesn't get healthy he'll be gone. If he looks like he looked last pre-season, he'll be gone. If he shows some playmaking with his athleticism he might be worth keeping around.

I don't know about this group of RB's. I really like them all. That's going to be a tough cut. I'm a big Grimes, Johnson and Blue fan.
I love what Johnson brings to the game. He's got break away speed, which is something this offense is currently lacking. I hope he can show something in the return game and force BOB to keep 4 RB's. I believe he could be a Woodhead clone.
Old 07-21-2014   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My top 6.

1.Martin
2.Keo
3.Bullock
4. Trevardo Williams
5. Dennis Johnson
6. Tim Jamison

I think Jamison's versatility will be highly regarded by this staff. If healthy, he can play OlB, or on the line. I would be surprised to see him let go.
Old 07-21-2014   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My top 6.

1.Martin
2.Keo
3.Bullock
4. Trevardo Williams
5. Dennis Johnson
6. Tim Jamison

Why Trevardo Williams? You can't fire him. He ain't done nothin'. Wasn't he the flavor of the month last preseason but was really raw? With the lack of depth at OLB, I don't see him going anywhere. I also don't see Martin or Jamison going anywhere, either. It's not like they're breaking the bank and there are depth issues to be concerned with. And Martin could still be a returner, even though he pretty much sux at it.

I think the rookie kicker is going to have to be lights out, or at least the clear cut better kicker or Bullock stays. He's at least got some NFL experience now and he was doing quite a bit better towards the end of last season.

All in all, I'm very open minded about who gets cut and who stays. There was so much discussion for so many years about how Kubiak and his coordinators misused players or kept better talent on the bench in favor of draft position. I think it's going to be a very interesting preseason, especially when other teams start making cuts.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

5. Chris Myers
4. Shiloh Keo
3. Whitney Mercilus/Brooks Reed ( one or the other)
2. Keyshawn Martin
1. Case Keenum
You must have a really different method to coming up with a list. IMO, only Keo is likely to get cut. Myers is an excellent center and the others aren't breaking the bank and provide much needed depth, if nothing else.
Old 07-21-2014   #12
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You must have a really different method to coming up with a list. IMO, only Keo is likely to get cut. Myers is an excellent center and the others aren't breaking the bank and provide much needed depth, if nothing else.
I'd rather Ben Jones play center. Keyshawn is terrible IMO. The Brooks/ Whitney pick is just my gutt thinking, I just see them as ok journeymen.
Old 07-21-2014   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Vets only that need to have very good season:

Offense

Foster
AJ
Posey
Keshawn Martin
Newton

Defense

Cushing
J. Joseph
Keo
Chris Clemons
Lewis
Harris
Trevardo
Mercilus
Reed
Elbert Mack
Old 07-21-2014   #14
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd rather Ben Jones play center. Keyshawn is terrible IMO. The Brooks/ Whitney pick is just my gutt thinking, I just see them as ok journeymen.
Not sure why you would include Mercilus or Brooks Reed. Mercilus makes no sense from a financial stand point, his dead money out weighs his cap hit since most of his contract is fully guaranteed. Brooks Reed is in the final year of his contract and there is viable replacement on the roster for him. Brooks gives you options since he can play both ILB and OLB.

Surprised you would say you would rather have Jones play over Meyers...just curious why? Meyers calls the line adjustments and hasn't missed a game in what..107 games now. He played 100% of the snaps last year. Maybe 2015 offseason I could see this.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #15
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 17470 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Vets only that need to have very good season:

Offense

Foster
AJ
Posey
Keshawn Martin
Newton

Defense

Cushing
J. Joseph
Keo
Chris Clemons
Lewis
Harris
Trevardo
Mercilus
Reed
Elbert Mack
Cushing isn't going anywhere after this season, even if he doesn't have a great season. At least from a financial stand point he isn't going anywhere. It would have to be something dramatic to release him after 2014.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post

I think you're right on Keo and Martin. Have to think on the others.
Wow, both of those 3rd round picks last year just wasted. That's big.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #17
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy chapman View Post
not sure why you would include mercilus or brooks reed. Mercilus makes no sense from a financial stand point, his dead money out weighs his cap hit since most of his contract is fully guaranteed. Brooks reed is in the final year of his contract and there is viable replacement on the roster for him. Brooks gives you options since he can play both ilb and olb.

Surprised you would say you would rather have jones play over meyers...just curious why? Meyers calls the line adjustments and hasn't missed a game in what..107 games now. He played 100% of the snaps last year. Maybe 2015 offseason i could see this.
spoiler alert: Myers will be exposed as a product of the kubiak zbs
Old 07-21-2014   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think Jamison's versatility will be highly regarded by this staff. If healthy, he can play OlB, or on the line. I would be surprised to see him let go.
Agreed

However given his injury history this puts him behind the 8 ball.
Old 07-21-2014   #19
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Not sure why you would include Mercilus or Brooks Reed. Mercilus makes no sense from a financial stand point, his dead money out weighs his cap hit since most of his contract is fully guaranteed. Brooks Reed is in the final year of his contract and there is viable replacement on the roster for him. Brooks gives you options since he can play both ILB and OLB.

Surprised you would say you would rather have Jones play over Meyers...just curious why? Meyers calls the line adjustments and hasn't missed a game in what..107 games now. He played 100% of the snaps last year. Maybe 2015 offseason I could see this.
Nobody truly knows if Brooks can play ILB.
Old 07-21-2014   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
spoiler alert: Myers will be exposed as a product of the kubiak zbs
The Texans will still use the ZBS some of the time. Myers may be light, but he's not weak...well as long as he's not facing Jenkins ( is he still playing?) or Wilfork. Both of those guys have schooled every center in the NFL, though. Myers will be fine. If not, I have no problem with BO'B cutting him or sitting him. No way he's getting cut, though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read