Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Andre Hal at 7.216
Up 30 88.24%
Down 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2014   #21
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 7.216: Andre Hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Belated poll.
Thanks.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #22
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Hal, but thought we should have gone in a different direction here. Hal is strictly a slot CB and has very limited upside. He'll probably stick on the roster as the 5th CB though.

I wanted Kendall James personally, but the Vikings took him in the 6th.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #23
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I know a lot if people don't like Brandon Harris, but I like him and I think he has a good chance to be the slot corner on this team.

I think we have some talent that wasn't properly used and I'm hoping that the new staff is smarter than the old one.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 7:216 Andre Hal CB

John Harris highlighted Hal's game against 6'2.5" WR Donte Moncrief...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4aUfnJ7xc

He loves the kid.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #25
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
John Harris highlighted Hal's game against 6'2.5" WR Donte Moncrief...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4aUfnJ7xc

He loves the kid.
He's going to be an upgrade over McCain at some point.

Looks like he's going to struggle some in coverage too. But I don't know if that's the technique his team had him playing or what. But he looks a little flat footed when the receiver gets even with him. Gets a little handsy too..That's going to be called in the NFL.

But it looks like he was playing that ragedy ass shuffle technique instead of the more standard back peddle which would explain a lot.

But he looks like a baller. Will come up and make a stick. Not afraid to throw his body around. Looks competitive out there.

I'd look for him to be a special teams guy initially with a slim chance of playing time
Old 05-12-2014   #26
Brett
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Brett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respectedBrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
He's going to be an upgrade over McCain at some point.

Looks like he's going to struggle some in coverage too. But I don't know if that's the technique his team had him playing or what. But he looks a little flat footed when the receiver gets even with him. Gets a little handsy too..That's going to be called in the NFL.

But it looks like he was playing that ragedy ass shuffle technique instead of the more standard back peddle which would explain a lot.

But he looks like a baller. Will come up and make a stick. Not afraid to throw his body around. Looks competitive out there.

I'd look for him to be a special teams guy initially with a slim chance of playing time
Er...Hal is one of the better pedal/t-step/close corners in this draft class. He's not a shuffle corner, and it's a crime he was even there in the 7th.
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #27
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Er...Hal is one of the better pedal/t-step/close corners in this draft class. He's not a shuffle corner, and it's a crime he was even there in the 7th.
Your last name isn't Hal, is it?
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2014   #28
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like he was a bit susceptible to a double move, unless he was happy releasing Moncrief to a deep safety.

Otherwise he looks pretty solid, seems to have good awareness and breaks well to the ball.

Might be a touch tackling adverse.
Old 05-12-2014   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Hal, CB, Vanderbilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
The Film Room: Why Vanderbilt's Andre Hal Is The Best Corner In The 2014 NFL Draft

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/4/...-corner-in-the
This guy says Hal has good eye discipline and the evaluation in posts above says the opposite, interesting. He can join the others trying to get reps.
Old 05-12-2014   #30
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool Re: Selection 7:216 Andre Hal CB

Read that article.

I agree with a lot of what he said and he has obviously done a lot more research than what I have.

I think without knowing if he was in man or zone on every play it's hard to judge accurately what a CB is doing.

His tackling though....
Old 05-12-2014   #31
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I'm just going off what I saw in the clips I watched. He looked flat footed at times when the WR got even with him. He got a but handsy.

Just my observation. In the nfl if he doesnt clean that up hell get roasted. He benefited by some not so great throws too.

But I like him overall. Physical, battles. Doesn't give up on a play and will throw his body around and dive to make plays. Looks like s good athlete on film.

Just pointing out that he has some things to work in and clean up.
Old 05-12-2014   #32
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Just read the article and the play(s) where he talks about Hal got beat...I saw a couple plays like that, but either the ball wasn't thrown at him or it wasn't thrown well.

I think he can be a good player, but he's going to have to clean up how he plays when the WR gets even with him/when the WR makes his move. Especially on this level as that is the point in which most guys get beat.

But like I said he battles and he does a good job fighting to make up any lost ground.
Old 05-13-2014   #33
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Just read the article and the play(s) where he talks about Hal got beat...I saw a couple plays like that, but either the ball wasn't thrown at him or it wasn't thrown well.

I think he can be a good player, but he's going to have to clean up how he plays when the WR gets even with him/when the WR makes his move. Especially on this level as that is the point in which most guys get beat.

But like I said he battles and he does a good job fighting to make up any lost ground.
Seems to make better plays on the ball than some of our past guys, even if he can't catch them.
Old 05-13-2014   #34
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked the video of him working against Moncrief a lot, especially since the Colts drafted Moncrief this year.
Old 05-13-2014   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a terrible judge of CB's. But I watched the Tennessee game in 2012 and Hal looked pretty good. I watched the Georgia game last yr and with all of Georgia's WR's hurt it seemed as though Hal regressed.

Anybody would be an upgrade over last yrs McCain. He appeared to be getting picked, (Seeing a lot of the backs of WR's jerseys and the only thing he was worse at was tackling a WR after the catch. Of which there were many.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #36
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

If it looks like a CB, plays like a CB and for the most part covers like a CB then it must be a CB.

I like this kid, besides him getting beat one time tonight i have really liked what i have seen from this kid.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
If it looks like a CB, plays like a CB and for the most part covers like a CB then it must be a CB.

I like this kid, besides him getting beat one time tonight i have really liked what i have seen from this kid.
He got beat for the long pass that got ball to about the ten then IIRC was beaten for the following TD. INT resulting in six points and giving up long gain that leads to 6 points pretty much a wash.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #38
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a rookie. When's the last time we had a CB return to INTs for TDs? Believe it was the Steeler game back in the day by a guy named Aaron.

I like this kid, he's got a nose for the ball. He'll make mistakes, but heck he's a 7th RD pick!

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
He's a rookie. When's the last time we had a CB return to INTs for TDs? Believe it was the Steeler game back in the day by a guy named Aaron.

I like this kid, he's got a nose for the ball. He'll make mistakes, but heck he's a 7th RD pick!
Yep and he could end up as a starter as did Newton.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #40
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 50409 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
He got beat for the long pass that got ball to about the ten then IIRC was beaten for the following TD. INT resulting in six points and giving up long gain that leads to 6 points pretty much a wash.
In a pass happy league where the rules are set to give DB's a distinct disadvantage, points are going to be scored. TD's will be allowed. Even on the great DB's because... rule changes.

But defensive takeaways AND TD's have been a rarity on this team. I personally feel that ability does more than just balance out giving up passing touchdowns. Especially one for one.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read