Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2014   #121
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage

Official Highlights | Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage

Tom Savage's maturity impressed O'Brien

Quote:
"I was just a young 19-year-old bitter kid who thought I was entitled to some things," Savage said.
Old 05-10-2014   #122
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 967 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
There ya go. A rational, thought our comment. Serious.
English please.
Old 05-10-2014   #123
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No , he didn't.

In fact , they designed a large portion of plays to get Keenum outside the pocket.

Keenum's failures were largely pre snap. He couldn't recognize pressure and coverage packages and didn't make the proper adjustments to those pressures and coverage's.

Even when teams only rushed four but overloaded from one side or the other , Keenum struggled , just go back and watch the 4th quarter of the KC game or the second half against the Dolts.

Keenum's failures were his own , not the coaching staffs ... No , the OL didn't help him and having UDFA's toting the ball in the running game didn't either but he was as much the problem as they were.
hmmm maybe you should go read some of Kubiaks quotes back when keenum started his first few games. You know the ones where keenum was lighting it up. He clearly stated that Keenum needs to do a better job staying in the pocket and trusting his protection. He said this many times.

I dont recall seeing any designed plays to get keenum out of the pocket, infact when he was in i saw some of the most plain/vanilla play calling i had ever seen in the Kubiak era.

Oh and you mean the KC game where we had 0 running backs,,, yeah situational in that case. Prob not a fair assessment there.
Old 05-10-2014   #124
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134405 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Daym. Week 1 starter.

Welcome to Houston Ms. Savage!
Oh man the SPCA is not gonna like that. then who's the chick?
Old 05-10-2014   #125
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
This is worth watching...

Video: goPro Helmet Cam on Pitt Quarterback Tom Savage

4th Round compensatory pick

OB really liked him at his pro day, which was one of the first on the calendar. OB must see his flaws as fixable. Watching tape, his O-line play was just horrid at times. Derek Newton is 10x better than Pitt's RT.

Not really. Id be surprised if he's anything more than a backup or flash like derek anderson. He's not good at all. He graded out as the worse qb in in terms of accuracy in both short,medium,and long. He gets sacked a lot because he has no pocket presence and throws a lot of questionable balls. He's a poor mans logan thomas. Except logan can run like a deer at times.
Old 05-10-2014   #126
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Really didn't know anything about this kid, but I've watched a ton of tape on him in the last hour.

Really nice arm if you ask me. He isn't mobile, but he'll take the ball and has a body that can absorb some hits. He'll sit in the pocket and take that hit to deliver a pass unlike many QB's.

I'm on a wait and see approach with this guy. Definitely like the touch on his passes though. He can sling it.
Old 05-10-2014   #127
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 5803 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

It's about time! He has some downside and let's hope he can learn. They say he has enough intelligence to learn. A grade of A- for this pick.
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2014   #128
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Clearly possesses a "laser-rocket arm" and I think with a couple of camps and only a single offense to learn he might just amount to something special.

I've got high hopes.
Old 05-10-2014   #129
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Not really. Id be surprised if he's anything more than a backup or flash like derek anderson. He's not good at all. He graded out as the worse qb in in terms of accuracy in both short,medium,and long. He gets sacked a lot because he has no pocket presence and throws a lot of questionable balls. He's a poor mans logan thomas. Except logan can run like a deer at times.
Lee,

I respect your knowledge of the game and know that you are able to rational assess players in an unclouded and unbiased fashion. So, I certainly respect your opinion on Savage, and I'm sure you have spent more time studying him than I have. That being said, I was very impressed with him- loving his delivery and natural arm strength and also believing that he illustrated a very good feel in the pocket considering all the rust he had to overcome this year. I'm not foolish enough to predict he'll turn into our future QB, but I see plenty to be hopeful for and nothing precluding the possibility.
Old 05-10-2014   #130
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80525 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Long lost... father and son?

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
Old 05-10-2014   #131
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post

Long lost... father and son?
Looks more like the younger brother of Trey Parker to me.

Old 05-10-2014   #132
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Can someone clarify this? Was Savage recruited by O'Brien or something?
Savage considered transferring to Penn State when he began his college tour.
Old 05-10-2014   #133
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

interesting. i hope he becomes a r,eally good qb for us.
Old 05-10-2014   #134
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
interesting. i hope he becomes a r,eally good qb for us.
He doesn't play for the Browns.
Old 05-10-2014   #135
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
stupid nfl network put commercials right when texans were picking -.-

qb at last, let's hope he is the right choice
this happens every time every year its like Texans didn't pay something to the NFL to were they do this on purpose LOL
Old 05-11-2014   #136
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Lee,

I respect your knowledge of the game and know that you are able to rational assess players in an unclouded and unbiased fashion. So, I certainly respect your opinion on Savage, and I'm sure you have spent more time studying him than I have. That being said, I was very impressed with him- loving his delivery and natural arm strength and also believing that he illustrated a very good feel in the pocket considering all the rust he had to overcome this year. I'm not foolish enough to predict he'll turn into our future QB, but I see plenty to be hopeful for and nothing precluding the possibility.
He can throw the ball through a car wash. I've said this in another thread,if the texans wanted a guy like this,why not sign Josh Freeman or draft Logan Thomas? I mean,this dude is a long,long way away. As many noted about TB long ball inaccuracies,savage is worse. The tv people said they didn't see a college qb who could throw a 20 yd comeback route,but there are 6 or 7 qb in the nfl who can do that. Guess what? None are named brees,brady,manning. The guys who can throw those are ben,flacco,stafford,cutler,cam,kaep,and maybe rg3. That's it. I still think mallett is in play for the texans. I doubt they go into camp with any of these 4 and expect to win 7 games.
Old 05-11-2014   #137
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
He can throw the ball through a car wash. I've said this in another thread,if the texans wanted a guy like this,why not sign Josh Freeman or draft Logan Thomas? I mean,this dude is a long,long way away. As many noted about TB long ball inaccuracies,savage is worse. The tv people said they didn't see a college qb who could throw a 20 yd comeback route,but there are 6 or 7 qb in the nfl who can do that. Guess what? None are named brees,brady,manning. The guys who can throw those are ben,flacco,stafford,cutler,cam,kaep,and maybe rg3. That's it. I still think mallett is in play for the texans. I doubt they go into camp with any of these 4 and expect to win 7 games.
And why would you want Mallett?

Weren't you one of those who said that a team needs a first rounder at QB?
Old 05-11-2014   #138
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't love the pick, but I see the upside and the possibilities. I'll like for now and trust in Bill O'Brien.
Old 05-11-2014   #139
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I don't love the pick, but I see the upside and the possibilities. I'll like for now and trust in Bill O'Brien.

Same here. I like the potential, I just hope he learns fast and gets a chance to play quickly. I graded him a B in the grade the draft thread. Based on girlfriend, I give him an A+
Old 05-11-2014   #140
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Same here. I like the potential, I just hope he learns fast and gets a chance to play quickly. I graded him a B in the grade the draft thread. Based on girlfriend, I give him an A+
So what starting QB at a large university either does not have a really hot girlfriend or a harem of skanks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read