Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2014   #101
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Guys, you seem to be forgetting the best way to assess a QB.

How hot was his GF?

Dayum.. Screw A.J. McCarron.
Old 05-10-2014   #102
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
And what exactly did Keenum do this last season that says he is clearly better than Yates? Have one good game where he and AJ connected... but still lost? Took Carr-like 20 yard sacks trying to run away from the blitz? Not be able to make a hot read, which has nothing to do with the play of those around him?

I swear, I get the hometown hero bullcrap, but it's getting to be too much. People are talking about how he needs another shot at starting this coming season because it wasn't "fair" what he was asked to do last year. Well that is where the opportunities lie. When everything has gone to hell in a handbasket. And he wasn't able to do anything with that opportunity. Time to move on. I honestly don't care that it is fair.

Do I think that Yates is a starter? No. Do I think that he will be a much better back-up in this system than Keenum will be? Absolutely.

Size and mobility-wise Savage, Fitzy and Yates are very similar. Obviously OB wants his QB to look a certain way in his system. Keenum is not that QB.
Riddle me this riddle me that at what point did case start taking those 20 yard sacks.

I'll give you a clue, if i may do such. although i dont think it will change your opinion much.

Schaub on the bench, Kubiak itching to put him in. As if he would of actually helped us win.

Kubiak to keenum boy stay it the pocket. No more running around slinging that thing like a rocket.

Keenum so scared of losing his spot. He begins staying in the pocket which isnt tht smart.

So now he's doing what coach kubes wants him to do. With D Newtons protection you'd get sacked too.

So is it his fault that kubiak tried to mold him into something he's not. Do you really feel that case was given a fair shot ?

Simple enough ? Or do i need to elaborate ?
Old 05-10-2014   #103
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 50409 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
LMAO..

You are really going to give credit to Yates for that playoff win.. hahaha.. cough ha ha. Wow. I could've suited up under center in that game, would you gave me credit for the win too? Yates was a participant in that game.. nothing else.
Don't recall stating where I thought Yates was a starter in this league. In fact, I actually said that I thought he was a back-up. I'm not defending Yates, and I'm not sure why you think I am. My comments about him were related to Keenum and posters on this site giving their opinions that Keenum is clearly a better QB than Yates. In my personal and humble opinion, of course.
Old 05-10-2014   #104
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Great article about Savage here:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...py_ending.html
Old 05-10-2014   #105
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 50409 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Riddle me this riddle me that at what point did case start taking those 20 yard sacks.

I'll give you a clue, if i may do such. although i dont think it will change your opinion much.

Schaub on the bench, Kubiak itching to put him in. As if he would of actually helped us win.

Kubiak to keenum boy stay it the pocket. No more running around slinging that thing like a rocket.

Keenum so scared of losing his spot. He begins staying in the pocket which isnt tht smart.

So now he's doing what coach kubes wants him to do. With D Newtons protection you'd get sacked too.

So is it his fault that kubiak tried to mold him into something he's not. Do you really feel that case was given a fair shot ?

Simple enough ? Or do i need to elaborate ?
So it is everyone else's fault that Keenum played so poorly last year?

So give him a coach that is crushing on him, a guarantee that he won't get pulled, a good offensive line. THEN he will do good. Gotcha.

If I can channel Kubes for a moment... Case is a good kid. Don't wish him ill will. But life - and life in the NFL - isn't fair. He got a chance. Couldn't do anything with it. Even if all of it wasn't his fault. He isn't owed anything else.
Old 05-10-2014   #106
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1490 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
this Smith/OBrien organization is operating at another level. They have masterfully constructed this off-season-culminating with an incredible draft that has blended value with need better than any draft I have ever closely followed.
Except we have no idea what the level is, or if it's any higher than Smith/Kubiak, and we can't know for at least 2 years if this was an incredible draft or yet another crap draft by Smith.
Old 05-10-2014   #107
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm good with Savage at the spot we got him. I'm really liking the Texans entire draft. It is a bunch of big uglies and that is how you build a winner. From the inside out.
Old 05-10-2014   #108
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Just watched a couple utube vdos (Notre dame, Florida State) . Reminds me of Pick-6 before he got hurt.
Stronger arm, less accurate, can throw the long ball but poor accuracy, seemed to make poor decisions against FloState , Just depends on how he progresses. Just my opinion.
Old 05-10-2014   #109
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

This is nice.

Quote:
Pick Analysis: "I think this is a great fit for the Texans. He's got a hose. His arm is any bit as good as Logan Thomas' or Zach Mettenberger's. He took a beating at Pitt, but he continued to stand in the pocket. He's a natural thrower of the football. He's got all the mechanics, so now it's all about developing the kid's ability." -- Mike Mayock
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracke...team-input:hou

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 05-10-2014   #110
sandman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
Except we have no idea what the level is, or if it's any higher than Smith/Kubiak, and we can't know for at least 2 years if this was an incredible draft or yet another crap draft by Smith.
You don't have tomorrow's data available today. Based on the information at hand, this has been an incredible draft. Definitely better than anything we've seen from the Texans in several years.
Old 05-10-2014   #111
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You don't have tomorrow's data available today. Based on the information at hand, this has been an incredible draft. Definitely better than anything we've seen from the Texans in several years.
I agree. On paper this is the best draft I've ever seen from the Texans.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 05-10-2014   #112
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So it is everyone else's fault that Keenum played so poorly last year?

So give him a coach that is crushing on him, a guarantee that he won't get pulled, a good offensive line. THEN he will do good. Gotcha.

If I can channel Kubes for a moment... Case is a good kid. Don't wish him ill will. But life - and life in the NFL - isn't fair. He got a chance. Couldn't do anything with it. Even if all of it wasn't his fault. He isn't owed anything else.
No it is not everybody elses fault, BUT kubiak told keenum to stay in the pocket, the boy started listening to his coach in fear of getting benched and he began taking sacks.

before that he had a 8TD to 1 int ratio, he also led the yard in yards per completion. Not to mention he had no Foster, no O.D a gimpy D. Brown.
Old 05-10-2014   #113
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Dayum.. Screw A.J. McCarron.

Lol. She's definitely hot, but, let's be real: all QB girlfriend/wives basically look the same - blonde, hot, well-endowed, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2014   #114
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29231 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Selection 4.135: Tom Savage

Quote:
No it is not everybody elses fault, BUT kubiak told keenum to stay in the pocket, the boy started listening to his coach in fear of getting benched and he began taking sacks.

Yep. I'm not a Case Keenum fan, so I have no horse in the debate about his talents, but, it seemed to me that once Kubiak started coaching him, he got worse.

I do think the guy has some potential, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2014   #115
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No , he didn't.

In fact , they designed a large portion of plays to get Keenum outside the pocket.

Keenum's failures were largely pre snap. He couldn't recognize pressure and coverage packages and didn't make the proper adjustments to those pressures and coverage's.

Even when teams only rushed four but overloaded from one side or the other , Keenum struggled , just go back and watch the 4th quarter of the KC game or the second half against the Dolts.

Keenum's failures were his own , not the coaching staffs ... No , the OL didn't help him and having UDFA's toting the ball in the running game didn't either but he was as much the problem as they were.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Old 05-10-2014   #116
sandman
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No , he didn't.

In fact , they designed a large portion of plays to get Keenum outside the pocket.

Keenum's failures were largely pre snap. He couldn't recognize pressure and coverage packages and didn't make the proper adjustments to those pressures and coverage's.

Even when teams only rushed four but overloaded from one side or the other , Keenum struggled , just go back and watch the 4th quarter of the KC game or the second half against the Dolts.

Keenum's failures were his own , not the coaching staffs ... No , the OL didn't help him and having UDFA's toting the ball in the running game didn't either but he was as much the problem as they were.
This. No one is saying he was handed a perfectly healthy and coached team. If that were the case (pun intended), they wouldn't have activated their 3rd string QB. Regardless of the situation, he wasn't able to have results substantial enough to warrant anything other than a roster spot. May not be fair, but it is what it is.

Note: my 400th post and been here 5 years. This rash of postings on Draft Day may ruin my lurker status...
Old 05-10-2014   #117
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
His history and stats are weak. Better to concentrate on the fact that O'Brien likes him. Savage had a great pro day. I guess that means something around here. I'm just glad it was a late 4th, and not an early 2nd round pick.
Gonna disagree with you; look at stats after being off a year. He just needs good coaching and consistency.

Quote:
Savage enrolled at Rutgers University in 2009, and after Rutgers opened the season with a loss to Cincinnati, he was named the starting quarterback. He led the team to a 9-4 record. During his freshman year at Rutgers, Savage passed for 2,211 yards and 14 touchdowns, while throwing only 7 interceptions. In arguably his best game of the year, he completed 14 of 27 passes for a season-high 294 yards and 2 touchdowns against the University of Central Florida in the 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl.[2] He was named on the All-American Freshman Team by the Football Writers Association of America.[3]

In 2010, Savage threw for 521 passing yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions.[4] Early in the season, he was sidelined by an injury to his hand and replaced with freshman quarterback Chas Dodd. Dodd remained the starting QB based on his performance against Connecticut in his first ever start. On January 8, 2011, Savage announced he would be transferring from Rutgers University.[5] Rutgers granted Savage a conditional release. In February 2011 he announced that he was transferring to Arizona. He would have had to sit out the 2011 season due to NCAA transfer rules but would be eligible to play in 2012.[6]

Late in 2011, Savage announced that he would be leaving Arizona. This move followed the announcement that Arizona had hired Rich Rodriguez as Head Coach. In June Savage announced via his Twitter page that he would be transferring to Pittsburgh where he redshirted in 2012.[7] Savage initially wanted to play at Rutgers again; however a hardship waiver was denied by the NCAA.

On August 14, 2013, Pitt head coach Paul Chryst officially named Savage the starting quarterback for the 2013 season opener against Florida State.[8] For the season he passed for 2,958 yards and 21 touchdowns.

References[edit]
Jump up ^
Old 05-10-2014   #118
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014tsavage.php

Quote:
Strengths:
Strong arm
Pocket presence
Height to see the field well
Ability to spin the ball
Can make all the throws
Can fit the ball into tight windows
Good mechanics
Quick release
Good size, height and bulk
Willing to run
Experience in a pro-style offense
Upside

Weaknesses:
Questions about his commitment, intangibles
Must improve his ability to work through progressions
Lacks mobility
Not a true dual-threat quarterback
Raw
Inconsistent
Needs to improve accuracy
Needs to improve footwork
Only played two seasons
Sat out two seasons due to transferring twice
Had a concussion in college

Player Comparison: Chad Henne. If Savage develops, he looks like he could become a better version of Henne (6-4, 230). Both of them are thick pocket passers with the arms to make the necessary throws. They can be inconsistent with accuracy and decision-making. Henne was a second-round pick by Miami, and Savage could easily go on the second day of the 2014 NFL Draft.
Tom Savage | 2013 Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjf78sZxrfU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 05-10-2014   #119
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
We can't assess how this group will turn out. What I'm referring to is the discipline they used sticking with their board, the quality gambles they made (waiting for that group of QBs to drop instead of reaching early), the success in grabbing need positions at high value, and the execution in transitioning the roster into a much more physical one.
Old 05-10-2014   #120
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Guys, you seem to be forgetting the best way to assess a QB.

How hot was his GF?

I want to pet that cat .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read