Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2014   #461
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

I do as well, where he ends up (#2 or #3) is the real question. I personally believe that he's a lock to be the #3 guy. I don't think BoB wants to put him out there unless he has to. Everything BoB has said about him & young qb's in general seems to suggest that.
Old 06-03-2014   #462
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Where did practice squad come from?

I doubt Savage will be on the practice squad. I think he'll make the roster. I honestly don't know where he will be slotted on the depth chart, but if he is 3rd on the depth chart (which I think is most likely), he'll be running with the scout team.
Old 06-03-2014   #463
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Where did practice squad come from?

I doubt Savage will be on the practice squad. I think he'll make the roster. I honestly don't know where he will be slotted on the depth chart, but if he is 3rd on the depth chart (which I think is most likely), he'll be running with the scout team.
I introduced it and i only brought it up b/c of the talk of them possibly only carrying 2 qbs. If that were to actually be the case, Savage would have a hard time making the roster with 3 other veteran guys in front of him, imo of course.

In that regard the only way for BoB to attempt to keep him would be to stash him on IR or the PS....this is assuming that BoB believe he is in fact the future of this franchise.

But then again, if he truly believed that, I don't think he would try to get away with stashing him on the PS.
Old 06-03-2014   #464
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I introduced it and i only brought it up b/c of the talk of them possibly only carrying 2 qbs. If that were to actually be the case, Savage would have a hard time making the roster with 3 other veteran guys in front of him, imo of course.

In that regard the only way for BoB to attempt to keep him would be to stash him on IR or the PS.
Savage almost definitely makes the 53. He'd have to stink it up really bad not to. If he does play horrible, then they'd try to stash him on the PS and not even worry if someone nabbed him.

Fitzpatrick almost definitely makes the 53, as well.

The real questions surround Case and T.J. If one of them really just kills it and Fitzpatrick stinks it up (or is just so far behind the other guys), then Fitzpatrick could be gone. If BOTH Case and T.J. play great, I expect them to keep one of them and try to ship the other one out.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 06-03-2014   #465
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

If I had to guess right now, I'd say that three QB make the roster and they'd be Fitz, Keenum, Savage.

I heard they tried to trade Yates before the draft. I also heard that of the three QB's he's been the lease impressive with his throws so far. I also heard that Fitz arm strength was noticeably weaker than the other QB's.

Take it FWIW.

I think Yates is in an uphill battle to make the roster, but things change when the pads are on...When guys head into pre-season...

I'm not ruling anything out.
Old 06-03-2014   #466
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It's nothing personal. I just think you are operating off assumed rules which do not exist. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, my bet is coaches player development decisions are as varied as opinions around here on how it should be done.
Again, not operating under assumed rule.

How much coaching is actually done with the scout team? Are they actually going over their performance in the film room to address mistakes to correct, that kind of thing.
Old 06-03-2014   #467
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well...There's different kinds of coaching...Technique work...Throwing form...Foot placement...Play fakes....

And then there is the coaching a guy up for a specific system...reads, calls and things like that....

I'd imagine that Savage isn't going to be getting as much work as the 1st and second string QB are.

Now, since OB is the type of coach that seems to want his hands on everything I'd imagine he'd make his way over to where Savage is and check him out. If he sees a coaching opportunity..Hey, Tom..."yada, yada, yada"...And then work his way back to the offensive field...

Also, when the coaches watch film, if OB sees Savage dropping his elbow...or taking a bad step...or whatever....He'll see it and mention it to him.

So basically....From my experiences and IMO...Savage will most likely be working on his technique this coming season if he's on scout team...He'll be studying our offense, but he won't get as much first hand work in it making live reads..calling the offense...all the nuances of what we run.

But he will have a playbook...He will watch film. If there is an injury he'll get some reps in practice running our offense...

But...You can and should get better as a player on Scout team. It's going to require a little more self discipline on his part because he's not going to have an offensive coach watching him every second of practice like the other QB's will...IF he is third string/scout team designated QB. So he will have to take some coaching and carry it over when they go 'live' for scout team.

Again...This is just my opinion based on how I've seen it done and from what I know.
This is how I imagined it would be as well. Don't know if it's true, but your opinion shows me I'm not alone.

When people talk about being a project, this is where I think that QB should be. Focus is more on technique & getting him the reps, working on that technique is probably more of the focus on the scout team. I mean who really cares, if a QB missed a read running the scout team? If it's something easy, like a check down vs forcing a pass, sure. But getting his calls right or lining up the team right, or changing protections... (asking the question, not saying it as fact) how much of that kind of correction is going on?

I think Savage is past the technique portion of his training. His mechanics are not flawless, but very close & natural that he's throwing fairly accurate perfect spirals while he's getting hit & falling backwards. Very much like Aaron Rodgers was when he came out. I think, much farther along than Jay Cutler was when he came out.

I think Savage needs to be learning his offense. Learning the reads, the calls, the formations, the protections. Get that stuff on film, & correct it in the film room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Isn't that what Tom Brady was doing his rookie year... running the scout team?
& Tom Brady wasn't drafted to be the starter. That's where a lot of people think the difference is with Savage. We (I'm one of them) think we got a steal & OB drafted him to start for this team at some time.

Brady won over the Patriots in Practice. Bledsoe had to be injured before he had an opportunity to play on game day & he took advantage of it.

I think the plan is to get Savage ready for game day sometime in the next two years. I don't think that was the thinking when the Patriots drafted Brady.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 06-03-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2014   #468
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I do as well, where he ends up (#2 or #3) is the real question. I personally believe that he's a lock to be the #3 guy. I don't think BoB wants to put him out there unless he has to. Everything BoB has said about him & young qb's in general seems to suggest that.
There were a few quotes from O'Brien recently (not sure exactly when) that I think were from a visit up to Pennsylvania. Basically said he would be on the scout team and would most likely learn for a year there, anything before the first 8 weeks would be wrong to put him out there to fail... Something along those lines, I can't find a link but they were reading off the quotes on the Blitz today.
Old 06-04-2014   #469
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
There were a few quotes from O'Brien recently (not sure exactly when) that I think were from a visit up to Pennsylvania. Basically said he would be on the scout team and would most likely learn for a year there, anything before the first 8 weeks would be wrong to put him out there to fail... Something along those lines, I can't find a link but they were reading off the quotes on the Blitz today.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...12#post2347412
Old 06-04-2014   #470
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Savage needs to be learning his offense. Learning the reads, the calls, the formations, the protections. Get that stuff on film, & correct it in the film room.
He will be learning that stuff. He just may not be getting a lot of reps doing it in practice. That's what I was trying to explain....If he's running scout team, he's running another team's offense...not ours...But he can still work on things like throwing motion, footwork...ball placement...ect....

He just won't be actively running our offense much in practice...He'll still watch film with the guys though...get mental reps in the film room...see the mistakes...learn our offense....

Really....The starters take almost all of the practice reps. Even the back up QB doesn't get a lot of actual reps. The back ups are normally watching most of that portion of practice when you work against a scout team.
Old 06-04-2014   #471
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
He will be learning that stuff. He just may not be getting a lot of reps doing it in practice. That's what I was trying to explain....If he's running scout team, he's running another team's offense...not ours...But he can still work on things like throwing motion, footwork...ball placement...ect....

He just won't be actively running our offense much in practice...He'll still watch film with the guys though...get mental reps in the film room...see the mistakes...learn our offense....
I hear you. I understand exactly what you're saying. It'll be like Case. Ran the scout team, worked on his technique. But when it came to running our plays, he couldn't execute it very well.

I know he was taking mental reps. I hoped it would all start clicking after a few games. Never seemed like it did.

I like Savage's mechanics. I know I'm not an NFL coach & my analysis is most likely lacking. But I think we're wasting his time on the scout team.
Old 06-04-2014   #472
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Gil Brandt @GilBrandt
Quote:
I believe @HoustonTexans QB Tom Savage will be among third-day drafted players who will start as rookies.

http://t.co/akOSsOunSd
Quote:
Tom Savage, QB, Houston Texans
Draft position: Round 4, No. 135

Savage sat out 2011 (after transferring to Arizona from Rutgers) and 2012 (after transferring to Pittsburgh from Arizona), and thus was rusty in the early part of last season. Still, he showed outstanding improvement in the second half. He has the ideal size (6-4, 228) for the position and excellent arm strength. What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with intangibles, including smarts, decision-making and leadership qualities. If he'd gotten on the field more frequently in college, I suspect he'd have been drafted higher. I think he'll outperform veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick and the rest of the quarterbacks in Houston; in fact, it would not surprise me to see Savage become the starter at some point this season, if not by Week 1.
Old 06-04-2014   #473
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

OH YEAH!!!
Old 06-05-2014   #474
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This is awesome stuff and I hope it happens but if it does then please let it be because he was better than all these guys and not because they all suck so damn much that he was the lesser of "four evils".

Fitz, Case, and TJ are far from world beaters but I think any of the three could be trusted to start an NFL game. If we got a kid in the fourth round who could legitimately beat all of them out for the starting job right out of the gate then that's an epic steal.
Old 06-05-2014   #475
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
This is awesome stuff and I hope it happens but if it does then please let it be because he was better than all these guys and not because they all suck so damn much that he was the lesser of "four evils".

Fitz, Case, and TJ are far from world beaters but I think any of the three could be trusted to start an NFL game. If we got a kid in the fourth round who could legitimately beat all of them out for the starting job right out of the gate then that's an epic steal.
Good post Herv. I think between the three vets one of them will get the playbook down eventually. I don't have any fantasies about the team coming out ripping off huge chunks through the air right off the bat because of the admittedly "complex" playbook where QB and receiver have to be in synch for the passing game to be viable. Brady has been in this offence for 10+ years and several times during a given season we still see Brady throwing to one spot and the receiver being in another place because each read their "keys" differently. You know, when we see Tommy throw one of his little hissy tantrums because of course, he can never be wrong. There will be times our QBs and receivers will be on different pages, hell, different books wouldn't surprise me until they can build that "thinking the same" mentality. Who knows how long that will take? I hope I'm wrong but I can see it taking the better part of the season, if not into the next.

As to the bolded. The mid to late round QB very seldom pans out. It would be Houston Texans nirvana if that is eventually what unfolds for Tom Savage and the Texans. This kid has a rocket launcher for an arm. I could sit and watch those 40 yard outside the hash lasers all day long and then hit rewind. If I've read and retained the observations/comments referencing what he needs to work on are a few minor mechanical flaws and the mental aspect. As has been discussed regarding any QB, those things can be "fixed". I don't know how deeply ingrained his mechanical deficiencies are but O'Brien is supposed to be one of the best at bringing out the best in young guys.I also know from personal experience that retraining muscle memory can be a long term proposition. In the heat of battle the old memory seems to take over. Here's to hoping it's true and he's successful here. That leaves the part between the ears which according to many folks who know much more than I is the most difficult and what often causes many a Tarzan QB to end up playing like a Jane QB.

If TS does end up being "coachable" and stays "in the playbook" learning to be a "good team mate" how long do the learned folks here expect it to take for QB Savage to correct his flaws that seem to be responsible for his scattergun accuracy and his being able to execute the playbook?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 06-05-2014   #476
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
OH YEAH!!!
Browns fans...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
...If TS does end up being "coachable" and stays "in the playbook" learning to be a "good team mate" how long do [you] expect it to take for QB Savage to correct his [fundamental] flaws...
~100 days to a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
...and his being able to execute the [complete] playbook?
~5 to ~16 months.

JMO.
Old 06-05-2014   #477
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1qazvigN800

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cr0BljPKksM

These made me SOLD on Savage.. Ooh yeah
Old 06-06-2014   #478
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
I thought these would be about Tom Savage.
These are from some dude named Mario Poffo.
Old 06-08-2014   #479
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

OH YEAH!!!
Couldn't help myself.
Old 06-08-2014   #480
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Couldn't help myself.
I want Savage to succeed so bad just to see the 100's of Macho Man impersonators in the stands on Sundays.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read