Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2014   #421
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I'm not sure they're going to want to carry 4 QB's. The point LZ made is that we'll be running with 4 TE's which is more than we're used to and he even questioned if we'd be using even 3 QB's. I think Savage and Fitzpatrick are sure things and Keenum vs Yates for QB3.
I find that hard to believe, but not unbelievable. Yates favors Savage in a lot of ways, both of them remind me of Jay Cutler. While I'm not a big Cutler fan, he was a first rounder & most people put him in that "first rounder" talent category... still waiting on him to fulfill his potential.

Savage looks ready to go to me. His mechanics are flawless, he ran a pro system, he played relatively well for where he was in his career, & appears to be a born leader.

Since we signed Fitz, there was no doubt in my mind the plan was for Case to beat him out. Could just as easily be Yates in my mind.

Since we drafted Savage, I figured we're going with two QBs. Savage & one of the other three. Don't know which one will start, don't really think it matters. Fitz is the only one that is handicapped, I think because of his age. The only thing he brings to the table, imo, is the "be ready to play at any time, make the most of your opportunity" mentality. If Tj & Case show that they have the same type of outlook & work ethic... no reason to keep him.
Old 05-30-2014   #422
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I find that hard to believe, but not unbelievable. Yates favors Savage in a lot of ways, both of them remind me of Jay Cutler. While I'm not a big Cutler fan, he was a first rounder & most people put him in that "first rounder" talent category... still waiting on him to fulfill his potential.

Savage looks ready to go to me. His mechanics are flawless, he ran a pro system, he played relatively well for where he was in his career, & appears to be a born leader.

Since we signed Fitz, there was no doubt in my mind the plan was for Case to beat him out. Could just as easily be Yates in my mind.

Since we drafted Savage, I figured we're going with two QBs. Savage & one of the other three. Don't know which one will start, don't really think it matters. Fitz is the only one that is handicapped, I think because of his age. The only thing he brings to the table, imo, is the "be ready to play at any time, make the most of your opportunity" mentality. If Tj & Case show that they have the same type of outlook & work ethic... no reason to keep him.
'cept maybe that cap hit. Too lazy to look it up again now but I've posted it before. 4.9 mill rings a bell but like I said, I'm too lazy right now to look it up again.

I'm pretty sure he makes the roster.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 05-30-2014   #423
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 75036 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
'cept maybe that cap hit. Too lazy to look it up again now but I've posted it before. 4.9 mill rings a bell but like I said, I'm too lazy right now to look it up again.

$4M Dead Money hit with a $3.375M 2014 cap hit so it would cost us $625K to release him although we'd take the $4M hit to the cap this season.
Old 05-30-2014   #424
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yup. I see about .0000000001% chance Fitz doesn't make the roster. They aren't paying $4 mil for him to attend training camp.
Old 05-30-2014   #425
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If $4.5M is more important than putting the best players on the Roster, then yeah... they may very well keep him.

But I don't see us keeping three QBs, not with the increase I expect in the number of TEs & OLmen we're going to carry.

Yeah, I'm saying he's not among the two best QBs on the team. They probably expected to carry Case & Fitz. But Savage came along, & Yates may end up beating both Fitz & Case. Things change. People adjust their plans.
Old 05-30-2014   #426
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104942 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's Fitz, Savage, and either Yates or Keenum. We aren't carrying 4 QBs.
Old 05-31-2014   #427
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree. I think O'Brien will use the Jimmy Johnson approach where he treats each player differently based on a variety of factors. It's not something that we are privy to, but I have little doubt that a player of AJ's stature garners a lot of respect.
Perhaps you're right.
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2014   #428
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Nothing substantial, but here's a little piece on Tom Savage at OTAs
Old 06-01-2014   #429
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice Magic Jack interview with a local sportswriter from "team stream".
Old 06-02-2014   #430
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 101731 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, here he is in his uni.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
Old 06-02-2014   #431
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126039 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post

#7 would look good wearing a Texans uni too. Is the Cardinals guy Logan Thomas?
Old 06-02-2014   #432
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post

I can't help but thinking Savage looks like Kris Brown with that number.

-Ben Franklin
Old 06-02-2014   #433
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Is the Cardinals guy Logan Thomas?
#6 is Thomas, 6'6"+, 250 lbs, near 11" hand, scattershot arm.
Old 06-02-2014   #434
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126039 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
#6 is Thomas, 6'6"+, 250 lbs, near 11" hand, scattershot arm.
Looks the part in pads but all the research I did on him leading up to the draft made me realize that I'd draft him... as a TE.
Old 06-02-2014   #435
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill O'Brien downplays possibility of Tom Savage starting

Quote:
"I really think that it’s important that that guy learns in his first year," O’Brien said. "I think it’s very, very, very difficult to play quarterback as a rookie, especially in the first 6-8 weeks of the season in your first year. We’ve got veteran quarterbacks here… those guys are battling out for the starting job, and Tom’s in there, and he’s battling too, but hopefully Tom can come into this season and learn a lot, and run the scout team, and then go from there after this season."
http://www.cardiachill.com/2014/6/2/...rs-case-keenum
Old 06-02-2014   #436
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoogs View Post

In Case we trust. (If he really believes that there's no shot that Savage starts)
Old 06-02-2014   #437
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoogs View Post

Originating article & podcast: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/...rt-for-texans/
Old 06-02-2014   #438
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Good stuff, as always, thanks Playoffs.
Quote:
He also had plenty of good things to say about former Pitt QB and Texans 4th round pick Tom Savage, saying that he heard nothing but good things about Savage at Pitt and has seen so many great attributes in Savage, remarking that Savage’s car was in the parking lot as he pulled into the Texans facility shortly before 6:45 a.m. local time during the interview.
“We were impressed by his intelligence, his ability to communicate, his demeanor- I felt like he was a calm kid that was a competitive kid,” O’Brien said. “At the end of the day, we felt really good about where he was when we picked him, and we feel like he has come in here and he’s really worked extremely hard.”

...hopefully Tom can come into this season and learn a lot, and run the scout team, and then go from there after this season.
If Savage ends up running the scout team that tells me he wasn't picked to be the future of the Texans at that position. If he ends up being our back up, we cut two of our current QBs & we bring another QB in to run the scout team, then that would tell me they drafted him to be our starting QB.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 06-02-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2014   #439
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Good stuff, as always, thanks Playoffs.
If Savage ends up running the scout team that tells me he wasn't picked to be the future of the Texans at that position. If he ends up being our back up, we cut two of our current QBs & we bring another QB in to run the scout team, then that would tell me they drafted him to be our starting QB.
Are you under the impression back up and running the scout team are mutually exclusive?
Old 06-03-2014   #440
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Are you under the impression back up and running the scout team are mutually exclusive?
Pretty much. The back up imo should be learning the game plan & be prepared to come into the game & pick up the offense.

If I were OB & my plan was for Savage to be starting 2015, then I don't want him running the scout team.

Then again, from what I understand, the Cowboys felt really good about Romo his second season, but he was still third on their depth chart, the year they thought he might be ready, the promoted him to back up...

so I may have to rethink that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read