Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2014   #401
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think the pressure of the home crowd influenced his decision as much as the pressure from the owner.
I would not be surprised if pressure from the owner was a result of the massive adoration by local fans for Keenum.

McNair doesn't live in a bubble. He listens to Vandermeer's shows.
Old 05-30-2014   #402
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I would not be surprised if pressure from the owner was a result of the massive adoration by local fans for Keenum.

This is kind of what i meant. Fans ultimately pay to come & see these games. It's not at all out of the realm of possibilty that McNair's decision was greatly influenced by the fans.
Old 05-30-2014   #403
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Was listening to LZ this morning and he said that he heard that the Texans were offered a later draft pick in this last draft for Yates but we didn't take whoever it was up on it. Take that for what it's worth but I'd think Yates is more of a QB for this system than Keenum is so I can see Keenum being the odd man out.
Old 05-30-2014   #404
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think that was a big reason for it. And I think it was part of the reason Kubiak was fired in season (which some people said would never happen).

That last game Kubiak coached showed a lack of discipline...It looked like the team had quit...and then Kubiak pulled Case again to put Schaub in...

I think McNair wanted to give the fans a reason to be enthusiastic and I also think he believed Case had the highest upside of the QB's on the roster so he wanted to give him the reigns at the time.
Old 05-30-2014   #405
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249782 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Was listening to LZ this morning and he said that he heard that the Texans were offered a later draft pick in this last draft for Yates but we didn't take whoever it was up on it. Take that for what it's worth but I'd think Yates is more of a QB for this system than Keenum is so I can see Keenum being the odd man out.
I can't see any scenario where by either Keenum or Yates is the odd man out. Unless for some strange reason they ditch Fitzbeard, which I think is unlikely but still possible. DocSavage is the only one with a sure job this year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 05-30-2014   #406
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88550 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I can't see any scenario where by either Keenum or Yates is the odd man out. Unless for some strange reason they ditch Fitzbeard, which I think is unlikely but still possible. DocSavage is the only one with a sure job this year.
This is going to be an interesting pre-season...For several reasons...

I can't wait to see the position battles...
Old 05-30-2014   #407
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure they're going to want to carry 4 QB's. The point LZ made is that we'll be running with 4 TE's which is more than we're used to and he even questioned if we'd be using even 3 QB's. I think Savage and Fitzpatrick are sure things and Keenum vs Yates for QB3.
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2014   #408
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249782 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure they're going to want to carry 4 QB's. The point LZ made is that we'll be running with 4 TE's which is more than we're used to and he even questioned if we'd be using even 3 QB's. I think Savage and Fitzpatrick are sure things and Keenum vs Yates for QB3.
Carry four QBs on the 53 man roster? Has anyone ever done that before?

EDIT: Ha! The answer to that is yes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-qbs-on-roster

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 05-30-2014   #409
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Quote:
Carry four QBs on the 53 man roster? Has anyone ever done that before?
Not that I can think of which is why I was saying that somebody would have to be the odd man out between Yates and Keenum. Fitz is guaranteed as is Savage. I can't stand Yates personally and would much prefer Keenum but if the rumor is true that we were offered a late pick for Yates and we didn't take it then maybe OB likes something he sees in Yates.
Old 05-30-2014   #410
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not that I can think of which is why I was saying that somebody would have to be the odd man out between Yates and Keenum. Fitz is guaranteed as is Savage. I can't stand Yates personally and would much prefer Keenum but if the rumor is true that we were offered a late pick for Yates and we didn't take it then maybe OB likes something he sees in Yates.
I'm not a big yates fan either although i do like his calm cool demeanor in the huddle/game/pocket
Old 05-30-2014   #411
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Based on what Fitz is being paid, i agree with the bolded & think that he's the odd's on favorite to start despite all the hoola about it being open competition. The only thing that's open imo is the #2 spot for Keenum or TJ. I think BoB wants to keep Savage in the 3rd spot to let him learn and the only way he inserts him this year is if the top 2 guys get hurt and/or he plays so well in preseason that he force BoB to start him. Think Harbaugh & Kaepernick here.
Old 05-30-2014   #412
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Based on what Fitz is being paid, i agree with the bolded & think that he's the odd's on favorite to start despite all the hoola about it being open competition. The only thing that's open imo is the #2 spot for Keenum or TJ. I think BoB wants to keep Savage in the 3rd spot to let him learn and the only way he inserts him this year is if the top 2 guys get hurt and/or he plays so well in preseason that he force BoB to start him. Think Harbaugh & Kaepernick here.
I just don't see that happening. I see Case and TJ cut and we're rolling with the Amish Rifle and Savage. I really hate to say that as I am a big fan of both Yates and Keenum, but this is a new coach that values different things than the last and has a completely different view of the offense. I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's just my gut feeling right now.
Old 05-30-2014   #413
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Since we've signed Fitz, I figured we were going to run with:

*. Fitzpatrick
*. Whichever QB we drafted -- Savage
*. Either Yates or Keenum, unless neither of them took to the offense.

I figured the QB spot would be an open competition with Fitzpatrick the most likely Game 1 starter but with Savage being the strong preference. If Yates or Keenum can step up and change their minds, then they could sneak in and take that starter position.

And if it comes down to a situation where Savage isn't quite as good but is moderately close and has made huge strides over the course of the offseason, then he wins the job on growth potential.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 05-30-2014   #414
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I just don't see that happening. I see Case and TJ cut and we're rolling with the Amish Rifle and Savage. I really hate to say that as I am a big fan of both Yates and Keenum, but this is a new coach that values different things than the last and has a completely different view of the offense. I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's just my gut feeling right now.
No way are we cutting both. That would be stupid and we do need to carry 3 QBs. Both have started for us, one of them has even won us a playoff game, the other has shown plenty of promise. I do believe that OB has an open QB competition with 2 things being set: he is not going to cut Fitzpatrick or Savage, so both of them will be in the top3 of our QBs. I do believe either Yates or Keenum will be cut or tried to stashed on our PS. But the other one will be here next season. And why shouldn`t they? They are cheap, they know their teammates and the whole situation here and they both have proven at least something that should be good enough for a QB3 at least.
Old 05-30-2014   #415
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
This is going to be an interesting pre-season...For several reasons...

I can't wait to see the position battles...
The question that's been rolling around in the back of my mind is:
When A.J. comes back (assuming he does), where is he on the depth chart?

Will O'Brien just hand A.J. the first string, WR1, spot after he missed so many teaching opportunities?? Or will he play hard ball (sorta) and make him earn his way back up the depth chart since all the guys who have been here be ahead of him in learning the new offense?

Thoughts
Old 05-30-2014   #416
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Will O'Brien just hand A.J. the first string, WR1, spot after he missed so many teaching opportunities?? Or will he play hard ball (sorta) and make him earn his way back up the depth chart since all the guys who have been here be ahead of him in learning the new offense?

Thoughts
AJ's a made man at this point in his career. No way O'brien does that to him. matter of fact I think a big part of the conversations they've reportedly already had are O'brien being realistic with him about the situation but also empathizing with him about the direction of the franchise while letting him know, there will be a place for him if/when he decides to come back. "take all the time you need AJ....we'll be here and your spot will be here if/when you decide to come back.."
Old 05-30-2014   #417
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
AJ's a made man at this point in his career. No way O'brien does that to him. matter of fact I think a big part of the conversations they've reportedly already had are O'brien being realistic with him about the situation but also empathizing with him about the direction of the franchise while letting him know, there will be a place for him if/when he decides to come back. "take all the time you need AJ....we'll be here and your spot will be here if/when you decide to come back.."
I agree. I think O'Brien will use the Jimmy Johnson approach where he treats each player differently based on a variety of factors. It's not something that we are privy to, but I have little doubt that a player of AJ's stature garners a lot of respect.
Old 05-30-2014   #418
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Thoughts
Even in BoB made AJ "earn it", how long would it take? A week? A day? 15 minutes?
Old 05-30-2014   #419
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Even in BoB made AJ "earn it", how long would it take? A week? A day? 15 minutes?
A phone call saying "I'll be in tomorrow."
Old 05-30-2014   #420
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I think McNair saw what I saw. With Schaub in the game, we're going to screw up our chances for that #1 pick. With Case in the game, it was virtually assured we'd get that #1 pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read