Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014   #381
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Montana was playing behind the Texans OL last yr he wouldn't have gotten to his 2-3rd read much less his 5th read.
Disagree, most of those reads were pre snap, unlike the rest of the Houston offense.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
Old 05-28-2014   #382
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How long's it been since Brady won his last Super Bowl? I know he's won three to Favre's one, but if 14 years mean anything, what does 10 years mean?
Careful... Tom has been back to the "big game" twice since his last SB win. Brett only went back once.
So advantage Brady.
Old 05-28-2014   #383
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Montana was playing behind the Texans OL last yr he wouldn't have gotten to his 2-3rd read much less his 5th read.
Remember that RBs in Walsh's system had to be able to catch. If Montana's 1st or 2nd read was not there, it was time to dump off to the RB. And that possibly could have been done here last season if our RB who could catch and run (Foster) hadn't been down in the back most of the year.
We all know Ben Tate wasn't exactly known for having soft hands.
Old 05-28-2014   #384
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
If you can get the ball out before they get to you; yes, sure.
The thing is not all things are equal to all QBs,.

Like I said, I'm a Bill Walsh kind of guy, not a Jon Madden guy.
I'm not arguing your point. There are several reasons arm strength is important in addition to the most obvious.
Old 05-28-2014   #385
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Careful... Tom has been back to the "big game" twice since his last SB win. Brett only went back once.
So advantage Brady.
Then let me throw out the Manning & Marino examples.

The fact that Bret didn't go in his final 14 years doesn't say as much about him but the team/coaches he played on/for. Winning is a team game, as important as the QB position is, he's not bigger than the team.

As fans, we like to look at the QB, & put him on a pedestal. But Brett won more games than he lost with his gunslinger lack of self discipline.
Old 05-28-2014   #386
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:

The fact that Bret didn't go in his final 14 years doesn't say as much about him but the team/coaches he played on/for. Winning is a team game, as important as the QB position is, he's not bigger than the team.
Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
As fans, we like to look at the QB, & put him on a pedestal. But Brett won more games than he lost with his gunslinger lack of self discipline.
That's the media's doing in my opinion. And most of the great, unwashed fan base buys into it hook, line, & sinker.

And give me a tactically sharp, surgically precise QB like Brady, Montana, or Johnny U. over a gunslinger like Favre every day of the year.

Now I like to watch him on the other guy's team because sooner or later he's gonna give my team an opportunity that it probably wouldn't have had otherwise.
Old 05-29-2014   #387
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Some interesting thoughts from Patrick Starr (patthestat Twitter) from stateofthetexans.com

Quote:
The quarterback situation maybe "wide open" at the moment but by the end of Mandatory Mini-Camp the picture will be clearer. #Texans

The quarterback situation in Houston is taking shape quicker than most realize. #Texans

O'Brien's offensive system requires the QB to make throws from inside the pocket to every part of the field. Arm strength is tested.
At first I thought it was Savage he was referring to since everyone in the media is calling his arm a howitzer. But the I read his OTA recap for today:

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog...-day-2-review/

Quote:
There is no about that T.J. Yates is the forgotten quarterback in this situation, but this offense is better suited for him. He has shown that he can make some NFL throws from the pocket and easily has the second best arm strength of the group behind rookie Tom Savage.

Yates looks much more confident on the field and it is showing with his early two days of work at OTAs. Quarterback coach George Godsey has been working hard with the quarterbacks and there is already a difference in his footwork and delivery of the football. There are some over looking Yates at the moment but he could be one to watch with a clean slate under this new coaching staff
TJ time?
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2014   #388
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

TJ time?
If Tj wins then it was truly a clean slate open competition. He's played less than Savage in the last 14 months.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2014   #389
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TJ time?
I believe!

Go Heels!

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
Old 05-29-2014   #390
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Tj wins then it was truly a clean slate open competition. He's played less than Savage in the last 14 months.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
He should've gotten more of an opportunity last year before Case got a look...but stupid ass Kubiak panicked and succumbed to the pressure of the home crowd.

people don't understand how difficult it is to perform well when you're coming off the bench with no 1st team reps all week....in his case, hardly no 1st team reps all year.
Old 05-29-2014   #391
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some interesting thoughts from Patrick Starr (patthestat Twitter) from stateofthetexans.com

At first I thought it was Savage he was referring to since everyone in the media is calling his arm a howitzer. But the I read his OTA recap for today:

TJ time?
I follow Starr on Twitter and enjoy reading his comments on practices. That said, he's about as bias as you can get when it comes to reporting anything Texans.

Just piggy-backin on your post due to mentioning Pat.
Old 05-29-2014   #392
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...6-27460d05c9cd
Quote:
Watching pass skelly late in practice with soon-to-be Texans Radio gameday colleagues Marc Vandermeer and Andre Ware, the former Heisman winner and I made a similar observation when rookie quarterback Tom Savage got his reps.

The ball didn’t hit the ground. Literally.

Andre noted how comfortable the former Pitt star was making his reads and going through his progressions. If that drill was a pop quiz, so to speak, he passed that portion with flying colors. There was no pass rush and it was just pass skelly, but he looked very much at ease finding open receivers and slinging the rock. Then, he completed each throw. This quarterback battle is just as wide open as Bill O’Brien said on Tuesday and Savage won’t sit idly by the next few months.
"Skelly" = skeleton = without offensive/defensive linemen.
Old 05-29-2014   #393
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

TJ time?
In reality, I don't care whose time it is, as long as they win games for us.

Everyone here has their favorite, and mine's not TJ. But I also don't think anyone here really cares as long as the team is successful.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 05-29-2014   #394
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to laugh my ass off if TJ Yates gets the starting job.

I doubt it happens, though. I think Savage will ultimately be the guy.

I might chuckle a little, though, if Yates gets the no. 2 spot.
Old 05-29-2014   #395
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm going to laugh my ass off if TJ Yates gets the starting job.

I doubt it happens, though. I think Savage will ultimately be the guy.

I might chuckle a little, though, if Yates gets the no. 2 spot.
Everything that people see at practice is different.

I am not as high on TJ in this offense as Pat is.

Though I knew of Savage's good and bad tape before he got here, it really is stunning how great his arm is. Just throws a gorgeous, effortless ball.

If they can coach him up, it should would be pretty. But he is behind right now just playbook wise. Hopefully will be able to catch up a ton by training camp.
Old 05-29-2014   #396
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
He should've gotten more of an opportunity last year before Case got a look...but stupid ass Kubiak panicked and succumbed to the pressure of the home crowd.
I don't think the pressure of the home crowd influenced his decision as much as the pressure from the owner.
Old 05-29-2014   #397
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I don't think the pressure of the home crowd influenced his decision as much as the pressure from the owner.

yessirrr...
Old 05-29-2014   #398
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

yessirrr...
Ditto, as it was discussed quite a bit at the time.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 05-29-2014   #399
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

All the QBs seem to like the offense and each have positives so preseason should give us some idea of what they have learned. That is long time to wait.
Old 05-29-2014   #400
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Favre cost his team much more than Manning or Marino ever did. I'm not a Favre fan though, so I'm sure I'm biased.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read