Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135

• Up

Votes: 112 83.6%
  • Down

Votes: 22 16.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
research his history and stats before you condemn him. Has the physicals and could be taught.

This is THE guy OB wanted.

Worked him out a lot at his Pro Day.

Some of the guys on the board were expecting us to draft him at 33.

I've got no problem with this pick.

stupid nfl network put commercials right when texans were picking -.-

qb at last, let's hope he is the right choice

I love this pick. I mentioned him being a possible sleeper in my mock. I'm really liking the entire draft so far.

Is this a pick? It's 0300 in the morning in Okinawa and I'm a tad lit right now. This was a pick by some people.

Another good pick, IMO. Big, strong-armed QB that can be molded into a starter. I dont think he starts this year, but stranger things have happened.

Just found the draft on tv… wow, McCarron still on the board. In Obie we trust I guess. Has been a great draft so far, let's see how this pans out.

Savage life.

And I wouldn't rule out Yates. Appears OB like him some big qb's.

Keenum going to have to be really good.

research his history and stats before you condemn him. Has the physicals and could be taught.
His history and stats are weak. Better to concentrate on the fact that O'Brien likes him. Savage had a great pro day. I guess that means something around here. I'm just glad it was a late 4th, and not an early 2nd round pick.

I like it... but I´m an optimist.

If you take a chance on a late rounder, you might as well take on with a cannon of an arm and prototypical size. He has a lot to learn, but at least he has all the tools.

O´Brien likes him and that`s good enough for me. I´d be ecstatic about Bridgewater, but Savage in the very least could be our next Yates - backup QB with the chance to develope into something more. And if he doesn`t pan out, there is always next season. We probably won`t win too many games this year anyways (because of QB), so we should be able to get a "real" QB-talent next season. Now let`s get an ILB...

Edit: Oh, and it`s by far the QB with the coolest name... a lot easier to root for Savage than for Mettenberger or Bortles...

For what it's worth (cue Buffalo Springfield) this was Mel Kiper's 4th rated QB and OB's boy. Jump for joy!

"There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear... young people carrying signs, mostly saying, hooray for our side..."

First non "value" pick, could've been round 5 or 6th, but i appreciate if Savage is who they targetted to not be cute and take him.

Rounding out to be a really good draft.

I'm really happy with this draft now. We've got our nasty in for the D, got a huge TE target, o line upgrade and now a guy that BOB appears to have been high on from the outset.

This is one of the best drafts I can remember, and we still have time to fill out the last couple of needs.

I didnt want Clowney... And, as you all know, I was a big supporter of Kubiak. That being said, this Smith/OBrien organization is operating at another level. They have masterfully constructed this off-season-culminating with an incredible draft that has blended value with need better than any draft I have ever closely followed.

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Tom Savage said he was running Pitt's offense "a lot more" by the end of his time there. #NFL #Texans

Tom Savage learned four offensive systems in four years.

#Texans' Tom Savage said "hitting rock bottom" was the best thing for him. Was humbled, became a man and fell in love with football again.

#Texans' Tom Savage: "I obviously have a lot to learn. I went 1,024 days without playing a game." #NFL

#Texans' Tom Savage: "I know what I don't want to do after football and that's work construction." Said his time doing so was "brutal."

#Texans' Tom Savage: "Tom Brady is always one of my favorite quarterbacks." #NFL

Tom Savage acknowledged being a "young, 19-year-old bitter kid" at one point during college career. #NFL #Texans

#Texans QB Tom Savage: "I always felt real comfortable with coach (Bill) O'Brien." Knew him from Penn State days. #NFL
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Savage says toughness/ability to get back up after getting knocked down is his best quality as a QB.
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Savage referred to himself as a young, bitter, entitled when he left Rutgers. Feels he matured a lot in the past few years.

Has a cannon, pretty ball, fine release, good feet, good size, can process the field.

BUT its all from a small sample size. That is his big knock. Transferred from Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt. Alot of time missed and alot of change to deal with really hurt his stock.

Needs alot of reps.

His history and stats are weak. Better to concentrate on the fact that O'Brien likes him. Savage had a great pro day. I guess that means something around here. I'm just glad it was a late 4th, and not an early 2nd round pick.

Of course it means something. If you look back on every draft we have the typical folks in here swear up and down that we have an amazing draft every year despite our losing history. I've heard that same line stating "If Kubiak likes this guy then I'm sold" stuff a Million times. Did you not expect it in this draft? Of course you did.

I don't know much about the kid. Hopefully he is just depth and can sit behind Keenum/Fitzpatrick.

Liked the pick plus it told Belichick that we don't have to trade with you right now.

good thing is this guy can sit and learn a bit

I voted 'No' because I win either way. If I'm right, I get to come back and troll you guys. If I'm wrong, the Texans FINALLY get their QB.

:fans:

nice call from those Savage table-pounders. You know who you are.

A developmental guy who's kinda well traveled. Long story short...he was injured at Rutgers as a Freshman starter and lost his job to Chas Dodd (I'm vague on this part) so he transferred to Arizona. Rich Rodriguez later came in as Head Coach and has a different play style so he transferred again to Pitt. Drafted by the Texans and went on to be the next back to back MVP.

Can he throw farther than 35 yards? Check - better than Schaub.

There ya go. A rational, thought our comment. Serious.

BnSyWMzCAAAkLgo.jpg:large

reminds me of Bortles but with a stronger arm.
Savage doesn't have Bortles mobility. Not by a long shot. But, he's not a statue, either. Has the same reverse pivot move Bridgewater employs. The main problems I see in watching him are ball security and locking onto receivers. A lot of young QBs have this problem. But then, most rookie QBs are younger than 24.

Does this guarantee that the Texans will carry three QBs this year?

Does this mean that Savage get an automatic free ride?

#Texans QB Tom Savage: "I always felt real comfortable with coach (Bill) O'Brien." Knew him from Penn State days. #NFL

Can someone clarify this? Was Savage recruited by O'Brien or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back