Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2014   #281
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Strong-armed, developmental, rookie QBs have been successfully in similar situations. With a good defense, a power running game, playmakers at WR, quality pass catchers at TE, and intelligent offensive game plans, Savage could be the starting QB of a playoff team. If he is coachable, BoB can utilize his strengths without overwhelming him. If BoB can successfully install a screen game, this can be a good offense, even with inexperience at QB.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens!
You forgot with perfect 78 degree weather, perfect woman to man ratio in the stadium, a message therapist on hand for Savage, a person standing in front of the sun so he wont have any glares in his eyes, the cast of the Avengers on the Texan's sideline cheering him on, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old 05-26-2014   #282
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Some of the stuff I watched on savage, he didn't look very good stepping up into the pocket IMO. Didn't slide very we within the pocket.

I don't know what to attribute all those sacks to, just giving my observation.

I'd like to see him operate a little more smoothly within the pocket.
What I saw was a horrible O-Line - probably the worst of every drafted QB. He regularly didn`t even have time to even set his feet. He was pretty good at avoiding pressure, but he also held onto the ball for too long at times. Add to the 43 sacks a high number of rushed throws and QB hits. He got killed in the pocket, and that`s a huge reason for his not eye popping numbers (and a high number of drops).

Savage probably was the best QB of this years bunch, if he`d play against no defense. That arm strength, that accuracy, that technique, these feet - all pretty good to elite. But those guys usually get killed in the NFL. What Savage has going for him is, that he doesn`t get rattled by pressure. He is tough as nails and willing to stand tall in the pocket, deliver a pass and then get hit hard.

He still needs to develope his inner clock and he needs to go through his reads faster and have more eye discipline. Can that be taught? Sure, but not every QB will be able to learn that. OB definetly thinks he can teach Savage that. If he can, we could have a winner.
Old 05-26-2014   #283
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
You forgot with perfect 78 degree weather, perfect woman to man ratio in the stadium, a message therapist on hand for Savage, a person standing in front of the sun so he wont have any glares in his eyes, the cast of the Avengers on the Texan's sideline cheering him on, and a partridge in a pear tree.
I am not sure what the point of your sarcasm was... I am simply pointing out that the Texans have the ingredients in place to compete with a young QB still needing development. It is a good situation for Savage to be in. I have no idea whether he will take advantage of it or not... I don't even know if the Texans will even consider starting him ahead of Fitzpatrick. But, if he wins the job, I see reason to hope for a winning season without expecting Savage to be a miracle-worker.
Old 05-26-2014   #284
TexansThunder
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansThunder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
What I saw was a horrible O-Line - probably the worst of every drafted QB. He regularly didn`t even have time to even set his feet. He was pretty good at avoiding pressure, but he also held onto the ball for too long at times. Add to the 43 sacks a high number of rushed throws and QB hits. He got killed in the pocket, and that`s a huge reason for his not eye popping numbers (and a high number of drops).

Savage probably was the best QB of this years bunch, if he`d play against no defense. That arm strength, that accuracy, that technique, these feet - all pretty good to elite. But those guys usually get killed in the NFL. What Savage has going for him is, that he doesn`t get rattled by pressure. He is tough as nails and willing to stand tall in the pocket, deliver a pass and then get hit hard.

He still needs to develope his inner clock and he needs to go through his reads faster and have more eye discipline. Can that be taught? Sure, but not every QB will be able to learn that. OB definetly thinks he can teach Savage that. If he can, we could have a winner.
Pitt's OL was ranked 118 out of 123 Division I-A teams.
Old 05-26-2014   #285
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does he have tyxtlexia?
Old 05-26-2014   #286
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I am not sure what the point of your sarcasm was... I am simply pointing out that the Texans have the ingredients in place to compete with a young QB still needing development. It is a good situation for Savage to be in. I have no idea whether he will take advantage of it or not... I don't even know if the Texans will even consider starting him ahead of Fitzpatrick. But, if he wins the job, I see reason to hope for a winning season without expecting Savage to be a miracle-worker.
Being sarcastic on the perfect scenarios it seems a Texans QB needs to be able to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Does he have tyxtlexia?
Even better.
Old 05-26-2014   #287
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Being sarcastic on the perfect scenarios it seems a Texans QB needs to be able to succeed.
No... I'm referring to the scenario most rookie QBs need for their team to have a good chance at short term success. It should be celebrated that the Texans' offense appears to have so much in place.

It's silly to cry about the Texans not getting the next Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck in the draft. Those elite QBs, who are NFL ready coming out of the draft, are once in a decade players. There was nobody like that in this draft... One or more of the QBs drafted in 2014 could become great NFL QBs, but if they do, a good deal of their success will come from development in the NFL... I believe guys like Peyton, Luck, Elway, Aikman are all guys that would be successful NFL starters regardless of what system, coach, etc... Most QBs that succeed in the NFL, require further development to be unlocked by NFL coaches in order to become good QBs. In those situations, talent evaluators are doing much more forecasting when grading them coming out of college. Brady, Montana, Rodgers, Brees, etc.. all could've had careers more like Alex Smith depending on circumstances beyond their control (coaches, systems).

All that is to say that the Texans did not miss out on drafting a great QB. Whether or not they chose the right QB to develop into a great one will be determined over the next few years. I believe the odds of Savage succeeding in the NFL is greater than that of Johnny Football, Blake Bortles, David Carr, etc., not because Savage is "better" but because the situation he is entering into is better.
Old 05-26-2014   #288
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

MMQB 5/56 Tom Brady
Quote:
There’s nothing that can wake me up at 5 o’clock in the morning on a Thursday in May like getting ready for a day of football. I want to play a long time. There’s nothing I like doing that’s close to football. What’ll I do when I’m done playing? I don’t know, but I know it won’t be nearly as fun...
Quote:
My favorite Brady line from our 40-minute chat, talking about longevity: “You know, you don’t have to suck when you get older.”

Said Brady: “It’s hard to explain this to people, but the commitment I make, in terms of keeping my body in shape and my nutrition right, should make me healthy. I feel better today than when I was 25, and I know that’s hard for people to believe, but I do. I work at it. Basically, I work all off-season to prepare my body to not get hurt. I can’t help the team if I’m on the sidelines. I’ve got to be durable.”

So he works with [Tom] House, the former baseball pitcher and maestro to many pro quarterbacks and major-league pitchers, and he is diligent about his eating and fitness. But beyond that, he’s not going to help you with specifics.

“It’s all very well-researched,” Brady said. “But that’s for the other guys to figure out. I’m not going to give away any state secrets. I’m not here to be king of the weight room. I do things to make me a better quarterback, whatever they are. Does it work? You be the one to judge. Watch me play. Then draw your own conclusions.”

Since returning at age 32 in 2009 from his one major NFL injury—the knee reconstruction after the injury suffered on opening day 2008—Brady has started all 89 Patriots game. So the durability is spotless, obviously. And the results? It’s pretty amazing to consider that, even with the 16-0, 50-touchdown-pass season of 2007 included in the pre-knee-surgery category, he’s been better in his 30s, and after the knee surgery, than he was in his 20s.
And this reminder...
Quote:
On self-scouting: “Sometimes we’ll be watching tape and [offensive coordinator] Josh McDaniels will say to me, ‘What happened on that play?’ And I’ll say, ‘I missed it. I just missed it.’ Throwing a football is a very, very tough to thing to do consistently well."

So, he love, loves the game... is fastidious about his diet & workouts(JJ Watt, anyone?)... and at 36 he still works on the fundamentals. the basics, the details...

Tom Savage, you listening?
Old 05-26-2014   #289
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I don't know what you're really getting at. Is it you're contention that they would have drafted him higher if they considered him a number two, or that they didn't consider Bridgewater a number two?

What is the bottom line point you're trying to make?
Since you missed it the first time (post 261), my contention is that if Bridgewater falls to #33 he gets taken by the Texans and Tom Savage goes to another team. The Texans simply don't have a history of trading UP in the Draft. If their guy falls, great, if not...
Old 05-26-2014   #290
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
MMQB 5/56 Tom Brady

And this reminder...

So, he love, loves the game... is fastidious about his diet & workouts(JJ Watt, anyone?)... and at 36 he still works on the fundamentals. the basics, the details...

Tom Savage, you listening?
Maybe Savage needs to move in the same apartment complex on Kirby Dr where Keenum resides.
Old 05-26-2014   #291
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Since you missed it the first time (post 261), my contention is that if Bridgewater falls to #33 he gets taken by the Texans and Tom Savage goes to another team. The Texans simply don't have a history of trading UP in the Draft. If their guy falls, great, if not...
You mean like Nix? Or Harris? Or Tate?
Old 05-26-2014   #292
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Even better.
He is saying this is the perfect situation for a rookie QB to step into. We have a greatly improved OL IMO, D line, WRs and Foster. We have all the things needed to make him succesful is what he is saying.
Old 05-26-2014   #293
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ahh, 2011 the draft we reached for Brooks Reed, traded up for Harris, with JUSTIN FRIGGIN HOUSTON still available.
Old 05-26-2014   #294
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Ahh, 2011 the draft we reached for Brooks Reed, traded up for Harris, with JUSTIN FRIGGIN HOUSTON still available.
We were Kubiaked
Old 05-26-2014   #295
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
They DO have a history of trading up. Which is why I think they WOULDN'T have taken Bridgewater at 33.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 05-26-2014   #296
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As much as I agree with you: Brooks Reed was considered a good pick back then. He was described as Clay Matthews junior. And Harris was falling - people expected him to go higher than at what we got him. He was considered a good pick as well.

Hindsight is always easy...
Old 05-26-2014   #297
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As much as I agree with you: Brooks Reed was considered a good pick back then. He was described as Clay Matthews junior. And Harris was falling - people expected him to go higher than at what we got him. He was considered a good pick as well.

Hindsight is always easy...
Houston was supposed to be a first rounder who stock fell due to a failed drug test at the combine IIRC.

Last edited by PHILLYTEXANFAN; 05-26-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 05-26-2014   #298
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Technically, the Texans traded down from 2/51 BEFORE moving back up later to 2/58 to take Tate.

Harris has worked out worse than Babin (something I didn't think possible).

Nix was a few weeks ago.

Tell me more about that history of moving up in drafts.
Old 05-26-2014   #299
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Houston was supposed to be a first rounder who stock fell due to a failed drug test at the combine IIRC.
You just answered why we did not pick Houston then.
Old 05-26-2014   #300
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
They DO have a history of trading up. Which is why I think they WOULDN'T have taken Bridgewater at 33.
Don't get me wrong, most of that history is BAD, there just isn't much of it to go on. Babin is on Casserly. Smith's early rounds include only Harris and Nix. (as stated earlier, Tate was a trade back THEN up scenario).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read