Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2014   #221
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Give me some sleepy guys to look out for, 76T.

Connor Cook? Dax Prescott?
You're ahead of me there, PO.
I'm still busy making notes of the top ones to see what I like for them to improve on.

Those two names are good ones to watch.

Besides the more familiar names like winston, Mariota, and Hundley, I'm interested in the development of Gardner and Miller.
I think Miller is making good strides.

Then there's a bunch of guys that I want to review.
Is Petty a considerarion?
What about Driskel?
And quite a few others in the so - so class.

What's been happening to the rest of the top of the recruiting classes of 2010-2012?

Some lesser known names that caught my eyes, maybe just for a fleeting moment like Cato,
Fajardo, Kelly.

Will Nick Montana amount to any good?

Then there's a bunch of guys a year further away, but you never know when the lights might come.

Then I want to count on other draftniks (like our 3 amigos) to give me a lead on prospects from smaller schools; I've become dependent on them for that.
Old 05-15-2014   #222
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40896 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I want to see the Texans in a Super Bowl victory parade in downtown Houston. Who we celebrate as our winning quarterback makes no difference to me whatsoever. I would go crazy happy if it was Keenum, but even if it's Putin draped in a Soviet flag I still cheer for the winning QB no matter who he is.

Savage is like every other QB in this years draft, not a damn one of them was worth the 1.1 pick, and who you pick is a matter of fitting into the coaches system. Besides, Savage has a cool name and is big and tall and strong. For now, that's good enough for me. We all know Fitzybeard will be starting game one anyway. Who's left standing at starting QB by game 16 this year is anyone's guess.
well, putin does have more superbowl rings than keenum
Old 05-15-2014   #223
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I like his stats 2013 after basically sitting out two seasons and going thru coaching changes. Give him some consistent good coaching & he could be really good.
What I want to remind people is that Savage is not ready; I don't even think I need to add "IMO" or "IMHO".

To dalemurphy, for example, he ought to know that I take into consideration the chronological order of development of players, and also the caliber of the competition.
What kind of O-line he has (or any QB for that matter - see Bryce Petty or McCarron.)

I still remember Caldwell when we drafted him.
Many, as in "MANY" , people thought I was either "Crazy" or a relative of Myers.
I even spent the time to check out every Lineman that Caldwell faced in his last two years in college.

I also reported on the lack of caliber of receiver Kareem Jackson faced.

When I compared Keenum, I only pull out games of common opponents that he faced as other QBs that were drafted.
I even took notes of injuries that might change the make- up of the teams.

Not that I can be thorough, but I do like to compare oranges to oranges, if possible.
But I also realize that my info is far from complete, no matter how hard I try.

You guys ought to know by now that my nature is never to shot down nobody.
Old 05-15-2014   #224
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
What I want to remind people is that Savage is not ready...
Yep, NOT ready. ~750 college attempts and some lost time in there.

Bortles ~900

Bridgewater ~1150

Aaron Murray ~1500

Needs to redshirt.
Old 05-15-2014   #225
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The meat of Pitt ' schedule:

10 points scored against Ga. TECH. (Loss)

28 points scored against a heavily depleted Iris squad (watch the game; you would hear about it.) (WIN)

A 27-pt scored against UNC.
Watch this game; it's most telling.

This kind of games and the Fla. St. Game are the kind of games I watch the QB play.
The heavier the pass rush, the better for my evaluation.
Old 05-15-2014   #226
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And why I wasn't sold on Teddy B?
Easy, if you know where I'm coming from.
A name school doesn't necessarily give you the best challenge.
You just have to watch how they operate.
By watching a good numbers of games

... to start.
Old 05-15-2014   #227
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 29m
Texans reached agreement with fourth-round pick, former Pitt QB Tom Savage.

It begins! #SAVAGEFUTURE

OH YEAH! SNAP INTO IT!
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2014   #228
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Savage's High School coach: 'He was like Rocky'
Quote:
...they were losing a starter per game due to injury and were down eight starters, including three offensive lineman, heading into a game with St. Joseph’s Prep.

“He got killed,” Algeo said of the beating Savage took during that game. “I’ve never seen a kid in a high school game take a beating the way he did.”

After each hit, Savage returned to his feet, never complaining or seeking an excuse to stand behind. He also, more importantly, never said a negative word toward his offensive line.

“He showed so much grace in that game,” Agleo said. “He was like Rocky in that game.”

Savage was running the majority of the offense by his senior season and was the eighth ranked quarterback in the country. He had the arm that he’s known for now, back then.

“His senior year he made a 60-yard throw completely across the field,” Agleo said laughing. “He hits the guy in stride and he walks into the end zone. I’ve never seen a throw like that in high school.”
Old 05-15-2014   #229
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What I want to remind people is that Savage is not ready; I don't even think I need to add "IMO" or "IMHO".

To dalemurphy, for example, he ought to know that I take into consideration the chronological order of development of players, and also the caliber of the competition.
What kind of O-line he has (or any QB for that matter - see Bryce Petty or McCarron.)

I still remember Caldwell when we drafted him.
Many, as in "MANY" , people thought I was either "Crazy" or a relative of Myers.
I even spent the time to check out every Lineman that Caldwell faced in his last two years in college.

I also reported on the lack of caliber of receiver Kareem Jackson faced.

When I compared Keenum, I only pull out games of common opponents that he faced as other QBs that were drafted.
I even took notes of injuries that might change the make- up of the teams.

Not that I can be thorough, but I do like to compare oranges to oranges, if possible.
But I also realize that my info is far from complete, no matter how hard I try.

You guys ought to know by now that my nature is never to shot down nobody.
I think it is clear to everyone that Savage is not ready. QBs drafted at the end of the 4th round are basically never ready. Especially if it is a QB that went almost 1000 days without playing football in between. Savage is a project - and I believe that is exactly what OB wanted.

Savage is tall, has a strong arm and throws a beautiful accurate ball. He can also move pretty good in the pocket. Those are things OB can work with. He can`t dissect defenses yet, he isn`t fast enough going through his reads and he holds on to the football a little too long. It would probably be best for him to sit for a year, hold the playbook, breath in everything around him and get better.

The thing that makes me and others feel good about this pick: the only reason he wasn`t a first round pick is, he is not ready because he missed so much football and never had time to learn a system. He is a gamble, a high risk high reward kinda guy. But we only gave up a 4th for him. If he works out, that`d be amazing. If he doesn`t, well let`s go for it again in a year or two.
Old 05-15-2014   #230
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking for a franchise QB is like playing the lottery . The 1st round gives you more tickets and increases your odds but there are no guarantees you'll hit . Like the lottery , all it takes is one lucky pick or one ticket .

Round Dan
Old 05-15-2014   #231
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Looking for a franchise QB is like playing the lottery . The 1st round gives you more tickets and increases your odds but there are no guarantees you'll hit . Like the lottery , all it takes is one lucky pick or one ticket .

I couldn't agree more. I just hope Savage is that franchise QB the Texans have been looking for.

Sent from the future...
Old 05-15-2014   #232
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Biggest concern I have on Savage is actually twofold. First I am concerned, he will be forced to start due to injury or failure of Fitz and Keenum. Second, he took a beating in high school & college and I'm concerned he does not psych out ala Schaub. The time off between college seasons had to help + he just looked mentally strong last year.

Another QB I will focus on again is Oregon's Sean Mannion. Despite going to a more balanced attack, he doubled his attempts, completions and yards while maintaining his avg. His accuracy improved only to 66% and really needs to improve on that. TDs 37 to 15 INTs needs to be better also. Arm strength turned me off last year & he was smart to accept the 3rd round eval he received & return to school despite having his degree.
Old 05-15-2014   #233
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Jaguars may finally got their franchise QB but they over paid in the process doing it while Texans acquired Savage for fair value. Something to be said for each franchise, however Clowney is far more immediate impact & it's not out of the question Savage could develop as fast, even faster, into a franchise QB.
I originally thought the same thing.

Then I got to thinking, if you factor in what they've done this offseason... I mean, really... they may not be half bad this year.
Quote:
Grade: A

Best addition: Chris Clemons, DE
Biggest (likely) loss: Maurice Jones-Drew, RB

Yes, the Jaguars might miss MJD and they’re clearly still closer to being a 5-11 team than an 11-5 bunch. There is really no disputing, however, that this team both has improved its talent level and found a way to better fit Gus Bradley’s mold over the past month. Clemons and fellow defensive linemen Red Bryant both know Bradley’s system (they played for Bradley when he was Seattle’s D-coordinator), which should help expedite the improvement process for the entire unit. Ziggy Hood has a shot to be a steal, too.

Obviously, the missing piece in all this is at quarterback. Keeping Chad Henne at least leaves Jacksonville a serviceable option, though he’s nowhere near the answer. Whichever guy ends up under center will have help from RB Toby Gerhart and WR Tandon Doss, both underrated talents. The Jaguars overpaid for Zane Beadles … but teams that have struggled like Jacksonville sometimes must bite that bullet.
I mean they could probably be pretty good this year.
Old 05-15-2014   #234
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Wait, didn't you at one point say you would take AJ McCarron with the first pick in the draft? Where did he go again? And I'm now supposed to believe in your ability to assess the fate of Savage and Keenum?
I said that knowing full well he would most likely go as late as he was being projected. The book isn't closed on Aj McCarron. Get back with me in three years.

& you don't have to believe in my ability to assess anything, that was not at all what that post was about.

My opinion is slanted heavily towards anyone in a Texans Uniform. I can btch & moan about the worst that can happen, but I don't find any enjoyment in that. I'd rather stick my head in the sand, cross my fingers, & hope for the best.

It sucks when you end up 2-14, but it pays off when you're chearing your ass off in the stadium for a home play off game... which I've been lucky enough to experience twice in the last three years & hope to do at the end of the 2014 season.
Old 05-15-2014   #235
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope, not by a long shot.
Watched the FSU, NC, ND, and UofM games. I saw little to like.
Maybe O'Brien can make a silk purse out of this sow's ear.
We'll see.
Old 05-15-2014   #236
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Nope, not by a long shot.
Watched the FSU, NC, ND, and UofM games. I saw little to like.
Maybe O'Brien can make a silk purse out of this sow's ear.
We'll see.
Pennsylvania is the breeding ground for great QB's (Namath/Montana/Marino/Kelly etc...) lets hope Savage can join this group.
Old 05-15-2014   #237
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Biggest concern I have on Savage is actually twofold. First I am concerned, he will be forced to start due to injury or failure of Fitz and Keenum. Second, he took a beating in high school & college and I'm concerned he does not psych out ala Schaub. The time off between college seasons had to help + he just looked mentally strong last year.
The only way I see him starting is if the season is already lost. In the AFC, that means that 8-8 is no longer mathematically possible. Then it's up to OB to protect him.

Football players learn by playing football. His biggest problem is that he hasn't played a lot of football in the last three years. Can't fix that on the bench.

Edit: on the protection front. I believe (hope, fingers crossed) we're going to see a focus on protecting the QB. Teaching the OL to do their job better than the defense is doing their job. Which has not been a focus in Houston, ever. Schaub was taught to get rid of the ball on time, in rhythm. All QBs need to learn that, but all offensive lines need to learn how to defend a pocket.
Old 05-16-2014   #238
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Pennsylvania is the breeding ground for great QB's (Namath/Montana/Marino/Kelly etc...) lets hope Savage can join this group.
yes, let's hope....

what is Corrosion tag line...
Oh yeah, "Hope is a poor man's disease."

call me poor, cause I'm hoping too.
Old 05-16-2014   #239
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
yes, let's hope....

what is Corrosion tag line...
Oh yeah, "Hope is a poor man's disease."

call me poor, cause I'm hoping too.
Schaub came from here as well
Old 05-16-2014   #240
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Schaub came from here as well
Pennsylvania would like to forget that....kinda like aliens, ghosts or Star Wars movies 1, 2 & 3

They don't exist....it never happened...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read