Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Trade him this year. 5 31.25%
Trade him next year. 2 12.50%
Resign him. 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2014   #1
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Should the Texans trade Whitney Mercilus?

Whitney Mercilus has not had his name heard much this preseason. The Texans first round pick in 2013 is a okay linebacker at best. Now that the Texans have drafted Jadeveon Clowney with the number one pick in this year's draft, and who is playing very well, but has had a few injury's in collage. I can understand keeping Whitney Mercilus for depth this year, but if Whitney Mercilus can not produce this season. He should be traded with his contract ending in 2016.

Would you trade him now, next year, or resign him?

I would personally try to trade Whitney Mercilus this season. Because I feel the Texans are not far from being contenders again. A few draft picks, or a solid left defensive end to help Jared Crick. Would help this team in the long run.
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Should the Texans trade Whitney Mercilus?

Well, they should, but no one will give them much for him. So they may as well give him this one final season to see if he can show something.
Old 08-18-2014   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Where is the "Don't re-sign him" option? He'll be cheap depth right now, I think this is his last season on his contract
Old 08-18-2014   #4
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Where is the "Don't re-sign him" option? He'll be cheap depth right now, I think this is his last season on his contract
I do believe, he signed a four year contract.
Old 08-18-2014   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, they should, but no one will give them much for him. So they may as well give him this one final season to see if he can show something.
This.

What are you going to trade him for? We have no choice but to give him this year to try to improve. The guy was younger than average when he was drafted (turned 24 this year), so it's not out of the question to see him improve this year. Maybe he's not a starting caliber player when all is said and done, but he may actually be valuable as a backup down the line. Teams need quality backups. Six and seven sacks in the last two years isn't terrible, even if it's mostly from picking up scraps.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #6
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd trade him or outright cut him if he hasn't shown progress by the end of pre-season.

He's going to be playing in that 4th pre season game. He'll get a lot of time to prove himself.

If there's no one on the roster that is absolutely better, then I'd hold on to him and see if I could move him during the season after he racks up some hollow stats off the bench.

But seriously...I'd rather the dude just get better and stay here.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #7
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 14806 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless another backup outplays him I wouldn't cut him. Trade him if you can get something of decent value out of the trade for the Texans.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2014   #8
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Ship him to WAS for cousins. Good back up plan if Orakpo rolls in FA
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #9
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'd trade him or outright cut him if he hasn't shown progress by the end of pre-season.

He's going to be playing in that 4th pre season game. He'll get a lot of time to prove himself.

If there's no one on the roster that is absolutely better, then I'd hold on to him and see if I could move him during the season after he racks up some hollow stats off the bench.

But seriously...I'd rather the dude just get better and stay here.
Costs more to cut or trade than to just IR him if I'm not mistaken.
Old 08-18-2014   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade him? For what?

Mercilus is at that point where he's either going to become an asset (in which case he's an affordable asset that we need) or he's not. If that happens nobody is going to give us a damn thing for a bust LB.

Personally I think he's not that bad and will provide affordable depth for this year and maybe next year depending on how things are going. I want to see what he does this season under Romeo Crennel before I give up on him so I keep him around for another year.
Old 08-18-2014   #11
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude should have been a 4-3 DE. Sometimes the transition to 3-4 OLB works, sometimes it doesn't.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #12
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Trade him? For what?

Mercilus is at that point where he's either going to become an asset (in which case he's an affordable asset that we need) or he's not. If that happens nobody is going to give us a damn thing for a bust LB.

Personally I think he's not that bad and will provide affordable depth for this year and maybe next year depending on how things are going. I want to see what he does this season under Romeo Crennel before I give up on him so I keep him around for another year.
I agree 100%
Old 08-18-2014   #13
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Dude should have been a 4-3 DE. Sometimes the transition to 3-4 OLB works, sometimes it doesn't.
But he struggles when it comes to handling rushing plays, and setting the edge
is even more important for 4-3 DEs than 3-4 OLBs, so it would seem he'a very challenged no matter his position.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think we're going to need him at least this season. clowney's still adjusting to the game and he seems to get gassed pretty quickly. mercilus has shown a tendency to come in and make things happen as part of a rotation, so i think he's going to be a welcome asset this season. next year and beyond, who knows? it will depend on his adjustment and results in 2014. he may end up forcing reed out this season, or he may end up cut before next year.

besides, as it's been said ... who's going to trade anything of value for a backup OLB who's struggling a bit?
Old 08-18-2014   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
This.

What are you going to trade him for? We have no choice but to give him this year to try to improve. The guy was younger than average when he was drafted (turned 24 this year), so it's not out of the question to see him improve this year. Maybe he's not a starting caliber player when all is said and done, but he may actually be valuable as a backup down the line. Teams need quality backups. Six and seven sacks in the last two years isn't terrible, even if it's mostly from picking up scraps.
This especially if he can get at least 6 sacks in this D. I thought he had pretty solid game against Falcons and want to see him against Denver. Still if we were offered a third..he's be gone, gone gone.
Old 08-18-2014   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

So who have we got to replace him with? Whether he starts or not, he's still a good back up.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

how much do we have to pay the team that takes him?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would trde him to the Bears for any decent OT/OG that could get Newton off the field.

Ankrah has outplayed Mercilus. I do believe that Mercilus tries hard but isn't physical enough.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I would trde him to the Bears for any decent OT/OG that could get Newton off the field.

Ankrah has outplayed Mercilus. I do believe that Mercilus tries hard but isn't physical enough.
that's why you cannot trade him...other teams can see this also.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Clowney and Reed are assured of spots and I think Ankrah has definitely won his spot.

If we go with 4 OLBs, then it's all down to who's the next best guy we have. I think it's Mercilus, Groves, and Sidbury fighting it out for that spot.

If Mercilus doesn't look like he's going to be our 4th best OLB, then I've got no problem trading him. But. Like some people have said, somebody out there has to want him enough to give us something for him and I'm not so sure there's anyone out there that will. In that case, cut him.

If we keep 5 OLBs, then I think we'll keep him for at least another season.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read