Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2004   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lord Happy to be a Texan

Quote:
Sunday Q&A: Lord set to go from QB to DB
Sunday, May 02, 2004
ELI GELMAN
Star-Ledger Staff

Houston Texans draft pick Jammal Lord was hardly nervous during last weekend's NFL Draft. The University of Nebraska quarterback and former Bayonne High star relaxed with his family in Bayonne, flipping between the draft and a game between the Boston Celtics and Indiana Pacers.

Finally the call came and Texans head coach Dom Capers was on the line. "How would you like to be a Texan?" Lord recalled Capers asking him. "(Afterward), I didn't call anybody. I was still in shock. After a while, it kicks in. Wow, I just got called by the Texans. I'm going to be playing for the Texans. At first you don't realize what happened. Then it kicks in and you're like, 'Wow, I can't believe it.'"

Lord, who was selected in the sixth round, 175th overall, heads to rookie camp in Houston next weekend and is determined to make the team. He spoke to The Star-Ledger about the time leading up to draft day and his hopes for the future.

Why weren't you nervous on draft day?

I talked to every team in the NFL so I wasn't really concerned. I figured if I didn't get the call, some (team) would pick me up through free agency.

What did you go through leading up the draft?

I worked out in Atlanta on my own. Pro day was March 10 at Nebraska. Scouts come and work you out there individually. I did pretty good there. I went back and forth from Atlanta to Nebraska, because some teams could come in and work you out again. I had a few teams (do that). I had individual workouts with the Chiefs and Louis Rams. I went to visit Green Bay, Tampa Bay and the Jets.

Did any of the teams hint that they might draft you?

Everybody says they like you. But you never know what they're really thinking. The draft is so crazy, you don't know what's going to happen. You just sit, be patient and wait for the phone call.

Was there one team you wanted to get selected by?

I was kind of hoping to go to the Jets. They were my childhood team. I would have been home in my backyard. My mother is in New Jersey and the rest of my family is in Brooklyn, so they wouldn't have had to travel too far to see me play.

What do you know about Houston? Do you know anyone out there?

I don't know anybody. Raheem Orr, who went to Rutgers, was drafted by Houston. I played with him in the high school all-star game.

The Texans want you to be a free safety instead of quarterback. Disappointed?

No, not at all. I'm just excited to get an opportunity. It was (all) defensive back drills at pro day in Nebraska. I never took any reps at quarterback.

How tough will the transition be?

I played corner and safety in high school, so I have some experience there. Now I just have to tone back up my backpedaling and DB skills. It's not going to be easy.

What's your best Nebraska football memory?

Playing against Texas (in) my junior year, even though we lost by three. It was me vs. Chris Simms, two Jersey guys. He threw for about 300 yards, I ran for 230 yards and threw for 100 yards. It was fun.

What do you know about new Giants quarterback Eli Manning?

I played against him in the (December 2002) Independence Bowl. They beat us. I did all right against him. I had about 100 yards passing, 100 yards rushing.

What do you want to do with your communications degree?

Play in the NFL.
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...7212230890.xml

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #2
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

lord has always been a stand up guy...this just proves it...he's your classic coaches player...i don't care where i play just play me type of player...love his attitude
Old 05-02-2004   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

i was a little confused when we drafted him but he seems like a good guy. hopefully he adjusts well to the FS position.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Do you guys think Lord could be a 3rd string RB? I never saw him play so I was just wondering about his running skills.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #5
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I saw him play, didn't examine him with a microscope but I can tell you he's pretty elusive and has good speed. With alot of polishing he might be developed into a 3rd string running back, but I think it's much more feasible to see him becoming a safety.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #6
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up

I hope he makes the roster. If nothing else, it's just more proof that the Texans are the LORD'S TEAM.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I know that Capers loves players that are versatile. Seems as though those types of players have better chances of making the team. Just like he likes corners that can play safety I am sure running back was another reason why they liked Lord.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-03-2004   #8
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

The title of this thread reminds me of a sappy country song.
Lord, I'm Happy to be a Texan.

I bet we could come up with some pretty good lyrics. :p
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #9
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

How about the second coming of Slash, plays DB, Speciality Teams (returns or coverage), a little RB (halfback pass or threat of), maybe WR (Reverse Pass), and Maybe Emergancy QB (option plays on the goaline). The possiblitiesy are endless.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

V Man, I think what you said are the exact things that Capers has in mind for this type of player. Keep in mind the trick plays the Texans have done throughout the first two years of the franchise that helped us get some wins ie..Aaron Glenn against Jville.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #11
Dreadpiratebonzz
Rookie

We have a real possibilty of turning this guy into a real good FS. He has the size and the speed needed. We just have to hope that Capers places him under Marcus Coleman ASAP so that Lord can get all the mentoring he can a soon as possibly. As Marcus is going to make ONE HELL of a Safety.
Old 05-03-2004   #12
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lord I am happy too

I am happy he is a Texan Too
Joe Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #13
BigTex
Rookie

I Am very glad he is a texan he is one of those guys I can see playing just about any position that he sets his mind to, that is with the correct amount of work and determination. Lord is a standup guy from what I have read, glad he is a TEXAN
Old 05-04-2004   #14
Shotgun30
Rookie

I hope Lord changes his attitude. He lost the respect on several Nebraska fans by laughing and joking around on the sidelines during some butt kickings including a couple of losses to K-State. Also, his mom lipped off a few times about how great of player he is. Hopefully, his attitude will change as a Texan.
Shotgun30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #15
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun30
I hope Lord changes his attitude. He lost the respect on several Nebraska fans by laughing and joking around on the sidelines during some butt kickings including a couple of losses to K-State. Also, his mom lipped off a few times about how great of player he is. Hopefully, his attitude will change as a Texan.
I hadn't heard that. It is concerning, but if it was a major issue, I don't think CC or DC would have drafted him. They like the high character players.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #16
Shotgun30
Rookie

It really was nothing you would have read about it in his attitude unless you were following the Huskers. You had to be watching the games or reading the Nebraska newspapers. And I am probably the only on this board that reads the Nebraska papers.

Don’t get me wrong I hope he does well b/c I think he has the talent. Also, it is nice to see the 5th Nebraska player on the Texans’ roster. Pretty soon the Texans are going to have to wear red at all the home games.
Shotgun30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #17
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Lord is an athlete with 4.4 40 speed. J Lord is smart and I think he will pick it up enough to make the team.
Old 05-04-2004   #18
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun30
Don’t get me wrong I hope he does well b/c I think he has the talent. Also, it is nice to see the 5th Nebraska player on the Texans’ roster. Pretty soon the Texans are going to have to wear red at all the home games.
So THAT explains the red alternate jerseys!
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #19
Frap
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Frap

I like Lord's attitude.
Frap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The early word out of rookie camp was that Lord was very impressive in drills. He was much larger and quicker than some expected.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read