Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Su'a-Filo, Xavier at 2.33?
Up 112 95.73%
Down 5 4.27%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2014   #101
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 2.33: Xavier Su'a-Filo OG

After hearing and reading all I have about X and how superior he'll be to Wade Smith, and I'm sure he's quite the upgrade, it was kind of a buzz kill to read this seemingly well researched and documented take on our second round pick.

I'm constantly trying to improve my knowledge of the X's & O's but it seems as this guy is way ahead of me. Duh!

Agree, disagree, indifferent? What do you guys/gals think about this in depth observation and write up?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #102
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135670 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
After hearing and reading all I have about X and how superior he'll be to Wade Smith, and I'm sure he's quite the upgrade, it was kind of a buzz kill to read this seemingly well researched and documented take on our second round pick.

I'm constantly trying to improve my knowledge of the X's & O's but it seems as this guy is way ahead of me. Duh!

Agree, disagree, indifferent? What do you guys/gals think about this in depth observation and write up?

He pointed out some errors. All players have them.

X is a solid player with a chance to be really good. I wouldn't worry too much.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #103
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He has some of the same problems that Iupati had when he joined the 49ers. (Grabbing and hooking/ being too aggressive and going for the kill shot and missing in the running game.) All he needs is to be coached up like the 49ers did with Iupati. Anything would be an upgrade over Wade Smith.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #104
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I went thru your linked story pretty quickly (it was quite lengthy), but generally it seemed to be favorable, even highly complimentary in places on the X-man, so I'm not sure what your problems/concerns are about him based on the piece ?
And I would disagree with the author about his claim that everyone has been very worried to the point of being preoccupied with finding somebody to play left guard for us when we all know the biggest concern on the OLine by far has been right tackle ? That's why using the 33rd overall on a guard instead of a tackle (or QB), was a big surprise to me.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #105
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand where you're coming from. I think X was drafted over a RT for 2 reasons 1) he was rated higher than any RT and 2) I wonder if we have our RT on our roster already. I wonder if Newton was playing hurt out of necessity last year and the staff knows it. Or, Quessenbury is the guy they want at RT
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #106
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
He pointed out some errors. All players have them...
Yep, and there's not many other "softer" landing spots for a rookie G than between Duane Brown and Chris Myers.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #107
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yep, and there's not many other "softer" landing spots for a rookie G than between Duane Brown and Chris Myers.
Exactly. X is a first round Og talent sandwiched between 2 pro bowl Olineman. He will improve their play from last season and they will help him transition to the pro game.

Very excited about our Oline!
Old 06-01-2014   #108
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
He has some of the same problems that Iupati had when he joined the 49ers. (Grabbing and hooking/ being too aggressive and going for the kill shot and missing in the running game.) All he needs is to be coached up like the 49ers did with Iupati. Anything would be an upgrade over Wade Smith.
I can certainly see that and agree. I probably phrased my initial post incorrectly as it wasn't my intent to sound alarmist at all. I dig the pick and see where O'Brien is with this retool/remodel/rebuild. I think it's smart sound decision making setting this team up solidly for the long haul.

Now it we can just capture some Pixie Dust at the QB slot I think that most on here would agree the Texans will be set to be very competitive for years to come. (As long as they draft as soundly as this year to reload/keep adding talent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I went thru your linked story pretty quickly (it was quite lengthy), but generally it seemed to be favorable, even highly complimentary in places on the X-man, so I'm not sure what your problems/concerns are about him based on the piece ?
And I would disagree with the author about his claim that everyone has been very worried to the point of being preoccupied with finding somebody to play left guard for us when we all know the biggest concern on the OLine by far has been right tackle ? That's why using the 33rd overall on a guard instead of a tackle (or QB), was a big surprise to me.
See steelb's post and my response above.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #109
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Pixie dust would be cool.

The Texans org is due for a lot of luck.

Luck is by and large a product of hard work and hopefully BOB is the man for the job.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #110
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

In my amateur eyes, I like him maybe better than Brooks or at least the same.
I do like his potential more than Jones or Caldwell.

I was with Three toe peed on Iupati.
I'm not quite as high on X.

On my amateur grading scale, I like where each of them were drafted.

I think he's gonna do well.
He should do better than Jones in the long term, but I won't be surprised if Jones get the nod to start the year.

Or perhaps they can spell each other as needed.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #111
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://houseofhouston.com/2014/05/16...-go-joe-bruin/
Quote:
To discuss everything Xavier Su’a-Filo is Mike W.R. from Go Joe Bruin. Mike is the editor at Go Joe Bruin, a FanSided site talking all things UCLA Bruins. Mike will enlighten us on what to expect from Su’a-Filo and hopefully quash all your concerns regarding some question marks.
Quote:
Yoni Pollak
Quote:
This conversation is a part of a series of conversations I am doing with other blogs about their college players being drafted by the Texans.

I'm joined Mike W.R. who is the editor of gojoebruin.com, a Fansided site dedicated to all things UCLA.

Thank you for joining me Mike.

Several Texans fans were aiming for other players at #33 other than Su'a-Filo. Tell Texans fans why they should be excited for Su'a-Filo?
Mike W.R.
Quote:
Thank you very much, Yoni. Glad to be here. Well...

Never judge a book by it's cover, and just as well, do not judge Xavier Su'a-Filo by his size. He may look small, but there is a lot of grit, heart and leadership in him. Su'a-Filo is a player the entire UCLA Bruin fan base depended on and he never disappointed.

One of the things about UCLA is that they have had a very shaky O-line for several years. Even last year when they had depth, they still managed to catch the injury bug. Su'A-Filo, despite all that, started every single game.

The only draw back to having so many injuries was that he was used to help out those positions lacking depth, mostly at left guard and left tackle. For Su'a-Filo, that was an advantage. Although he is slated to play left guard, that knowledge has helped him to be a leader and help out others at those various line positions.

Last season as a junior, he was one of the oldest and most experienced offensive lineman. Last year was his fifth removed from high school. He had taken two years off after his freshman year for a LDS mission and with that he matured. Upon his return to UCLA, he was a player everyone looked up to. Plain and simple, he is a leader.

Here is a fact Texans fans might not know: Xavier Su'a-Filo was UCLA's offensive MVP last year. Even with Brett Hundley, who was running the offense and breaking records left and right for the Bruins, none of it could have happened with out Su'a-Filo.
Yoni Pollak
Quote:
That's pretty exciting to hear. So the Texans do plan on using him at LG, at least that's what it sounds like they're doing. Do you think that's his best position, or is he better at a different spot?
Mike W.R.
Quote:
Experience-wise, that is his position. Su'a-Filo owns it! He has played the "blindside" left tackle spot, but is sort of limited with his size. He did well in college, but the lack of length or height might hurt his game, especially going up against the bigger, faster defensemen of the NFL. Right now, with his talent and strength, he is best utilized at the left guard spot.
Yoni Pollak
Quote:
Is there anything to be worried about that he spent two years away from football on a mission? At 23, he's a bit old for an underclassmen.
Mike W.R.
Quote:
Definitely. There is always that worry about a player going backward or stalling in production. The two years took away from being consistently in top shape, especially with spring camps, fall camps and off-season workouts. The good news is, that was over two years ago and he has built himself back into, well, a high second round draft pick.
Yoni Pollak
Quote:
Glad to hear that.

Who do you think Su'a-Filo compares to in the NFL?
Mike W.R.
Quote:
That is a tough one for me because I do not follow the NFL as closely as I do college football. It is definitely not a glamour position, but it is important. Su'a-Filo knows this and has made it his mission to be the best he can and at UCLA, that is all he did. He is strong, has great feet and excellent in run blocking. Sorry about not naming a NFL O-lineman.
Yoni Pollak
Quote:
Ha, no problem. From what we've been hearing, Su'a-Filo can be a starter for the next 10-15 years, which would be excellent value at #33. Do you think Su'a-Filo can be a Pro Bowl tackle? What type of O-Line scheme is he better fit for?
Mike W.R.
Quote:
He can definitely be a Pro Bowler (if it continues to exist)! He just seems to get better and better and accepts nothing less. In the up-tempo system that UCLA has utilized the past two seasons, the line had to be solid and agile in order for the offense to go, go, go!. The Bruins were fast last year, so that is something Su'a-Filo will flourish with. At the same time, he has learned to adapt to different schemes.

Late last season, the Bruins started to use a "power package" with defenders playing offense. This was nothing but a smash-mouth type of formation which UCLA wrecked defenses with. It seemed for Su'a-Filo, it was just another play.
Yoni Pollak
Quote:
Great! Hopefully looking forward to seeing Su'a-Filo flourish for many years to come in a Texans uniform.
Old 06-18-2014   #112
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
The Xavier Su-a-Filo era has begun! The Xavier Su-a-Filo era has begun!!!! #OLinePorn #StartingLG
LZ momentarily goes all fanboy on X.
Old 06-18-2014   #113
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Well..

"Jambalaya, a-crawfish pie and Su'a-Filo gumbo
'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou."
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #114
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 135670 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein

LZ momentarily goes all fanboy on X.
Well that answers some questions I had...
Old 06-18-2014   #115
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Well..

"Jambalaya, a-crawfish pie and Su'a-Filo gumbo
'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou."
Well played.
Old 08-28-2014   #116
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, honestly.. After watching this guy play during camp and during preseason, how do you feel about the pick now?

I have to admit, with the 33rd pick, first pick in the second round, I'm starting to feel they royally screwed up here. I've been watching this kid and NOTHING he does pops off the screen and says "that's why you took him 33rd ovrl..a guard". Nothing that is worth the first pick in the second round or anything that resembles a special player at his position (which is what you should see right off the bat with a guard taken that high).

I hope this guy works out, but so far I'm not seeing it..

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #117
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Okay, honestly.. After watching this guy play during camp and during preseason, how do you feel about the pick now?

I have to admit, with the 33rd pick, first pick in the second round, I'm starting to feel they royally screwed up here. I've been watching this kid and NOTHING he does pops off the screen and says "that's why you took him 33rd ovrl..a guard". Nothing that is worth the first pick in the second round or anything that resembles a special player at his position (which is what you should see right off the bat with a guard taken that high).

I hope this guy works out, but so far I'm not seeing it..
Until he gets his NFL feet under him, he needs to be left at Guard and leave OT alone. He should be fine between Brown and Myers next game.
Old 08-28-2014   #118
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

I don't want to overreact. I liked the pick. I'll give him more time, but his pass pro sucks bad. He cannot play tackle.

Now I'm feeling like we should've moved back for more picks and taken jimmy g, but x still has a bunch of time to improve.
Old 08-29-2014   #119
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Until he gets his NFL feet under him, he needs to be left at Guard and leave OT alone. He should be fine between Brown and Myers next game.
My criticsm isn't even about his attempt to play tackle tonight, I think his play at guard hasn't been worth his draft position. I haven't been impressed at all.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014   #120
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, let's try and be a bit more objective. He missed quite a bit of time because of school and then we've played him at both guard spots and tackle. He's probably a bit overwhelmed at this point and is thinking more than playing.

I liked the pick because Lord knows we needed help on the line, he needs more time to adjust and some time to work at his craft.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read