Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Su'a-Filo, Xavier at 2.33?
Up 112 95.73%
Down 5 4.27%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2014   #81
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 2.33: Xavier Su'a-Filo

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I'm pulling for Ealy #65. QB at 4.1
WTG.

Jinxed it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #82
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

cant really argue with the philosophy, but I cant help but crave a playmaking offensive player considering the health and age of the current leaders on that side of the ball, either that or just keep building up the defense, and then SPLAT! Have a guard.

there's still time I guess.

Filo is a grinder, i'll give him that, im pretty sure he'll grow on me.
Old 05-09-2014   #83
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
cant really argue with the philosophy, but I cant help but crave a playmaking offensive player considering the health and age of the current leaders on that side of the ball, either that or just keep building up the defense, and then SPLAT! Have a guard.

there's still time I guess.

Filo is a grinder, i'll give him that, im pretty sure he'll grow on me.
Curious, isn't AJ the only aged play maker? He is healthy & should play at least two more seasons. I like their philosophy.
Old 05-09-2014   #84
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
We are not going to draft a QB. You heard it here first!
You may be right, but we darn well better. We have no one who can even do an adequate job as a starter.
Quote:
OB has big plans for Keenum. Just get him some decent protection that he didn't have last season. On paper, we have a pretty decent line now that Filo is on board. Also, this time OB will call plays that will work with Keenums strength unlike Kubiak.
Keenum was so panicked under a rush that he would miss a wide open back in the flat. What do you call that? Maybe no guts.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #85
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
You may be right, but we darn well better. We have no one who can even do an adequate job as a starter.
And anyone we can draft will do better?
Old 05-09-2014   #86
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter Football is where I get my scouting reports:
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...14xsuafilo.php

Quote:
Strengths:
Excellent pass-protector
Mirrors speed rushers with ease
Strong base to anchor against bull rushes
Extremely well built
Good speed
Rare mobility, athleticism
Fast for an interior lineman
Quality run-blocker
Tough on the second level
Adept at pulling
Hits blocks on the run
Intelligent
Good technique with hand placement
Good knee bend
Strong hands
Sustains blocks
Durable
Should be able to start immediately
Good at adjusting to blitz pick up
Could play in any offense
Excellent fit for a zone-blocking system
Could play left tackle if needed
Experienced
High floor
Upside

Weaknesses:
Could use a little more power

Player Comparison: Ben Grubbs. Su'a-Filo's game reminds me of Grubbs. Grubbs (6-3, 310) is similar size and both are very athletic for their size. They are quick and agile to defend speed rushers while also being strong enough to get movement in the ground game. After being a first-round pick for the Ravens in 2007, Grubbs has had a good career for Baltimore and New Orleans. Su'a-Filo could turn into a similar Pro Bowl guard in the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #87
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

It's like a completely different team with just four picks. No love these guys. These are the kind of thoroughbreds you win with.
xtruroyaltyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2014   #88
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Keenum was so panicked under a rush that he would miss a wide open back in the flat. What do you call that? Maybe no guts.

Keenum's problems were more pre snap than anything else. He didn't recognize coverage and pressure packages before the snap & make the proper adjustments. Even simple concepts like an overload to one side with a 4 man rush befuddled him (4th quarter in KC).

IF he can solve that puzzle (Huge IF) I think he can be successful in the league. The question is , can he figure that out. That's what sets guys like Manning , Brady & Brees apart from the rest of the league - their ability to recognize pre snap reads and take advantage of them.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #89
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Shilo Keo?
I'm talking Samoans all over the field....Samoan dB's, wr's, o line, d line....the whole lot.
Old 05-11-2014   #90
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Walter Football is where I get my scouting reports:
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...14xsuafilo.php
I don't know, guys, he just doesn't seem very good.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #91
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Keenum's problems were more pre snap than anything else. He didn't recognize coverage and pressure packages before the snap & make the proper adjustments. Even simple concepts like an overload to one side with a 4 man rush befuddled him (4th quarter in KC).

IF he can solve that puzzle (Huge IF) I think he can be successful in the league. The question is , can he figure that out. That's what sets guys like Manning , Brady & Brees apart from the rest of the league - their ability to recognize pre snap reads and take advantage of them.
Just want to say that I continue to disagree with this.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #92
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 2.33: Xavier Su'a-Filo OG

I really like this pick. It's not sexy but should help this year, instead of that crappy predictable OL that had the Texans picking #1 in the draft.
Old 05-11-2014   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Just want to say that I continue to disagree with this.
I will say Keenum would look a lot better with a running game that can pick up 3rd & 2, or 4th & 1 (a very short 1 at that).

We'd have won at least 3 more games.
Old 05-11-2014   #94
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 10634 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Selection 2.33: Xavier Su'a-Filo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
He can probably play G or RT. He stated that he is not sure where he will play for us just now.

Looks like his nickname is X
So we now have X & Q on the OL
Old 05-12-2014   #95
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Seth Paynes Deceptively Fast: Sua-Filo The Stout Pear
Quote:
Im feeling especially good about Xavier Sua-Filo, who will likely start at left guard this year... Normally Im not this optimistic about offensive linemen contributing immediately. Most of them have awful habits that they can get away with in college, but that kill them in the NFL. Not so with Sua-Filo. Hes not the strongest guy in the world, but he plays with good hands and hips. He is rarely off balance, and is athletic enough to be effective when pulling. He simply looks like an NFL player on film.
Sua-Filo has the magnificent physique for an interior offensive lineman that I like to call The Stout Pear. A bottom heavy o-lineman has a lower center of gravity. He can take a punch to the chest and not go down, like a weeble wobble or a pear shaped Terminator.

...Sua-Filos technique and pad level will serve him well in this challenge, and he also has a frame that can easily another 10-15 pounds of bulk...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #96
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Excellent pick. I'm not comfortable with RT yet and they didn't address it in the draft. Hope the "Q" can step in and do the job.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #97
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
im just glad we got more samoans.

far too long we were deficient in the number of samoans we had on our roster which was one of the reasons why we sucked for such a long time.

you must have at least one fat samoan in our roster at all times.

that is a key ingredient in winning.
Who is the fat Samoan on the Seahawks?
Old 05-13-2014   #98
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Who is the fat Samoan on the Seahawks?
Jesse Williams has parents from the Torres Islands, which is close enough

Let's expand and say you need a fat Oceanian.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #99
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

As an Oceanian, let me say I am ready to bulk up and fill that responsibility for the Texans.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #100
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Zierlein had XSF as his #4 rated offensive lineman in the draft...

LZ's O-line Grades, 2014 Draft
Quote:
4. Xavier Su'a Filo UCLA G 6.17
Powerful and nasty. Su'a-Filo features fluid hips and can get around the corner with good quickness when asked to pull and usually finds and hits his target. Will play to and past the whistle. Has the foot quickness and strength to redirect when needed. Tends to get caught up on first man and takes too long to come off and pick up second rusher on twists. Gives up more pressure in pass protection than you want. His ability to move well and play with plus power will make him a late 1st round to early 2nd round target.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read