Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-09-2014   #641
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68452 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Overreaction on my part. I lost it when Bridgewater got snagged by the Vikes since he was my QB of choice.

I felt the same way. After the top 2 quarterbacks were taken, I thought the Texans were going to trade back before the Cardinals. But when Seattle traded their pick to Minnesota, I knew Bridgewater was gone.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #642
BorrowMe
Rookie

Rep Power: 316 BorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respected

Jimmy Garrapolo. That is all.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
BorrowMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #643
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Gus Frerotte comes to mind. Tom Brady's first SB comes to mind. Ben Roethlisbereger's first SB comes to mind. Those guys might not be "meh" now, but they were early on. Eli Manning is not exactly "meh", but he sure as hell isn't steady. He just got hot at the right time. And I don't consider Flacco any better than the 2011 version of Schaub. And of the guys who made it to the SB but didn't quite pull it off, Jake Delhomme and Rex Grossman sure aren't superstars. Hell, Delhomme came really close to being on the list of winners. Then there's Kerry Collins and Chris Chandelier.

There's no doubt that the NFL is a passing league, but that also means you need people to get after the other team's QB and defend. Russell Wilson is a pretty good young QB, but he didn't outduel Payton Manning - the SEA defense did. It's still a team game.
Fair enough. Which is why at this point I think we should invest in our defense. The cards are there for us to get a really nice haul for our front seven.
We can take a QB in the later rounds, but IMO they are not likely to amount to much. I think we will be hunting for a starting QB next year.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #644
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Now we can sit back and watch Mallet throw picks for us for the next several years after Bellicheck rapes us in the trade.
A 2015 3rd is raping?

Can you say Sam Montgomery?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #645
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
A 2015 3rd is raping?

Can you say Sam Montgomery?
I'm not worried "getting raped" in that trade.

What worries me is that Belichek thinks Mallet is worth a 3rd.
Old 05-09-2014   #646
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Either way, my point still stands. Do you want the next GOAT, or do you want a guy who can take you there? You might never find the first, but you are more likely to find the second.

That "wait till next year" stuff is bull****. All those QBs will have their stuff exposed and people we were talking about drafting next year will suddenly be unattractive.

Did we all already forget about Tajh Boyd, everyone's first rounder from last year?
This is what I'm afraid of as well. No player is perfect and at some point we're going to have to pick a QB and see if he turns into a franchise caliber player, but we won't know till we pick one!
Old 05-09-2014   #647
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I think we will be hunting for a starting QB next year.
I think so as well. They'll probably still take one of Garo/Mett/Murray and develop him for a year before they make that final decision,a nd you never know. Maybe that guy develops. But I think they are looking at this as a two year rebuild.
Old 05-09-2014   #648
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I wanted nothing to do with Clowney. I don't understand his lack of production, nor do I understand how he can fit in with Watt in Crennel's defense.

That being said, I can't imagine one draft pick determining whether the team can win games or not the following season... That is, unless they took a QB at 1.1... The clearest signal that this team would be in for a losing season would be if it committed to a rookie QB (leading to lots of growing pains). Even if Clowney is as bad as I fear, he doesn't preclude the team from having a good season. Similarly, missing out on a single player doesn't eliminate the possibility of success. This is the ultimate team sport.
Says the guy who thought Kubiak was a SB winning HC.
Old 05-09-2014   #649
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
This is what I'm afraid of as well. No player is perfect and at some point we're going to have to pick a QB and see if he turns into a franchise caliber player, but we won't know till we pick one!
Exactly. And I don't care if you think it's Manziel or Bridgewater or Bortles or Carr. You have to swing for the fences at some point.

That could be one of next years guys. Maybe Marcus Mariota or Bryce Petty is the guy to do it. Maybe - but next year again we'll pass because they're just too risky for this FO.
Old 05-09-2014   #650
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they are looking at either Garoppolo or McCarren tomorrow in the 2nd round, And for the record, I think either one of them will have a better NFL career than either Manziel or Bridgewater.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #651
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think so as well. They'll probably still take one of Garo/Mett/Murray and develop him for a year before they make that final decision,a nd you never know. Maybe that guy develops. But I think they are looking at this as a two year rebuild.
Yeah. I think we all knew otherwise when Bob McNair insisted this wasn't a rebuild, just a retooling.
Old 05-09-2014   #652
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I think they are looking at either Garoppolo or McCarren tomorrow in the 2nd round, And for the record, I think either one of them will have a better NFL career than either Manziel or Bridgewater.
It's your opinion, and I respect that. I disagree though. You may be right with Manziel, because I can only see him either booming or busting, nothing in between. But I think Bridgewater will have the best career out of any of these quarterbacks. I don't know much about Garoppolo but I just don't see it in AJ McCarron.
Old 05-09-2014   #653
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Rd1 = 5 years
What does that matter if he's a backup QB?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #654
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have holes all over the field I want them to pick the BPA each round.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #655
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans draft Mcarron, i think i will throw up on the spot.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #656
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
Exactly. I'm not a fan of Teddy to be honest with you, but I mean hell, the Vikings are a team with arguably more holes than the Texans and have a new coach as well. They aren't drafting scared and sitting pat. What angers me is the sheer fact that the Texans seemingly aren't trying here. The Vikings and Browns are making the effort to win now despite being a worse team. It's frustrating.

I'd be happy with Teddy at 1.28 ish because at least that shows me the Texans are not scared. They are.
The Texans were 2-14

What was the Vikings/Browns record?
Old 05-09-2014   #657
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Texans have holes all over the field I want them to pick the BPA each round.
This. I think most of the angst around here stems from two things: 1.) A misplaced sense that the Texans HAVE to take a QB, regardless what their board says, and 2.) a deep lack of trust in Rick Smith's overall draft record.
Old 05-09-2014   #658
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
You have a team with no QB, a washed up hippie at RB, and a geriatric Andre Johnson, in an NFL were defense is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Baring a few freakish picks like Wilson, you aren't finding a good QB in round 2 or 3.
So you're suggesting that we draft a guy in the 1st round that SHOULD have been picked in round 2 or round 3 like THAT's going to make a difference? You're going to draft the next Christian Ponder or Vince Young or Jake Locker and hope they're going to turn into Peyton Manning?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #659
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really hoping we take a DT like Louis Nix or Ra'shede Hageman tomorrow night... I think it'd be HUGE for our defense. QB can wait a round.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #660
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Next up Rick Smith's waterloo the 2nd-3rd round.
Repped

LOL

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read