Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-07-2014   #41
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Minicamp quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Quessenbery looks good, healthy and is participating. B Williams is still out. So is Trevardo Williams (looks yoked).

Hard to eval linebackers not hitting. Will say that just eyeballing the coaches, looks like they are more hands on, particularly the outside linebacker coaching.

New LB coach Vrabel is intense. He is all up in Mercilus' kitchen, but in a good way. You know, you give players the bidness when you see their potential. When they are running to different fields, areas on the fields, Vrabel is often the first guy there.

(The David Carr rule? You stop yelling at a guy when you give up on them).
Thanks for the on-the-scene reports!! Puh-leeease keep 'em coming.
+1
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
not a fan of this alignment. brooks was really coming along at right guard and didnt seem as comfortable at left. not only that, brooks's biggest issue is in his head, he needs to be put into a spot and kept there, changes are severely hampering his progress. jones looked better at left, though "better" is misleading because he wasnt very good at either spot.
I liked Ben Jones on the right side & I loved Brooks on the left. Ben Jones looked as good to me as Chris Meyers in the run game. Whether he pops out to the second level, or Meyers does, I think it adds versatility you don't get with Brooks there. I also prefer to see Ben pull around the left end when we run to the left.

As far as pass pro goes, Brooks belongs over there with Duane. That's an impenetrable wall over there. Forget about the left side for the next 5 years.

That's how I wanted to do it last year. Wade Smith had no business playing, much less starting.

I know everybody has high expectations for Quessenberry, but that guy looks like a tackle to me. He should be in the mix with Williams as the RT/Swing tackle.

I believe it's possible that we've got all the pieces we need to field a starting OL. A good starting OL & may not need to address it as early in the draft as I would like. If we see Ben Jones in the starting lineup, if we see Quessenberry as a tackle, that's just going to add to my theory that the RickSmith/GaryKubiak fued has been going on a lot longer than we think & it finally came to a head in 2014.

Kubiak, Wade, Harris, Kollar, even Frank Bush & Vance Joseph. Those guys are teachers. It's hard for me to believe we've developed basically no one that Rick Smith has brought in, but these guys go to other teams & are able to scrape together decent NFL careers (longer than 3 years). I think they manipulated the roster for years, because they didn't like Rick's guys.

But we'll see.
Old 05-07-2014   #43
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I appreciate the offer. Main things I'm concerned about are the interactions with O'Brien/Godsey & the QBs and with the OL personnel..... what the heck is Newton doing? Q? Brennan & Jones.
O'Brien is all over the place. Doing a lot of very verbal, hands on coaching.

I don't recall seeing it before, but they have another end zone view, not from the scissor lifts but rather dude on a ladder right behind the action.

As a condition of going to camp, media not allowed to talk personnel formation stuff. Even photos are supposed to be tight. You might want to look at photos from the Texans site.

Newton looks fit. Ben looks like Ben. Brennan is not participating yet.
Old 05-07-2014   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 390762 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quessenbery looks good, healthy and is participating...

New LB coach Vrabel is intense. He is all up in Mercilus' kitchen, but in a good way. You know, you give players the bidness when you see their potential. When they are running to different fields, areas on the fields, Vrabel is often the first guy there.
Great news on both counts. Somebody needed to get up in Whitney's kitchen. Needs to be coached up big time. Vrabel is going to be fantastic.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #45
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
O'Brien is all over the place. Doing a lot of very verbal, hands on coaching.

I don't recall seeing it before, but they have another end zone view, not from the scissor lifts but rather dude on a ladder right behind the action.

As a condition of going to camp, media not allowed to talk personnel formation stuff. Even photos are supposed to be tight. You might want to look at photos from the Texans site.

Newton looks fit. Ben looks like Ben. Brennan is not participating yet.
Well BEANS!

That's exactly what I wanted to know about. Are they running spreads? I formation? double TEs? Quick tempo?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #46
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Looks like "coach speak" to me, or "don't rock the boat" speak..... we'll see how it plays out on the field.
I would be shocked to hear anything even close to controversial. If you didn't like Kubes on this, you're gonna hate BOB.
Old 05-08-2014   #47
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

My sources tell me that large men seem to be following a brown oblong shaped object made of animal skin..
Old 05-08-2014   #48
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I heard from someone covering minicamp that Vrabel was in Mercilus's ear for a good deal of time day 1, which was more coaching that Mercilus got than the last two years from the previous staff.

Stuff like that pisses me off. Why wasn't this guy coached up more? Just throw a guy out there and hope he performs? Nothing to teach him?

I hope Mercilus turns things around this year and plays to his potential. I was very excited when he was drafted, but his inconsistent play is troublesome.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #49
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob Allen on Channel 11 last night suggested that the reason Andre Johnson is absent from O'Briens first team practice this week is because he might be involved in a trade for a Draft pic(s). OK I'd be the first to say that's probably horse crap, but whatever ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #50
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Trading AJ is not the way a new regime wants to start out here in Houston. That'll get them on lot's of folks **** list quickly.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #51
Qman
Veteran

Rep Power: 390 Qman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respectedQman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Trading AJ is not the way a new regime wants to start out here in Houston. That'll get them on lot's of folks **** list quickly.
If trading Andre is the best for the team shouldn't the fans accept that?

I really hope that the Texans FO isn't very worried about upset the fans.

Now if they trade Andre for basically nothing-- that is a problem. They would have to get some value.
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #52
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122673 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman View Post
If trading Andre is the best for the team shouldn't the fans accept that?

I really hope that the Texans FO isn't very worried about upset the fans.

Now if they trade Andre for basically nothing-- that is a problem. They would have to get some value.
I would take a 1 and a 3 this yr from the Ravens and a 2015 1st for AJ and never look back.

BTW, does anybody else think it's stupid to have mini camps on the week before the draft? Thanks God'ell hope those sweeps week ratings are worth it.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #53
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone on 610 was saying he attended Dunta Robinsons wedding, that's why he missed workouts
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Absent a Herschel Walker trade I see zero chance the Texans start off the new regime by trading away one of their best two players.
Old 05-08-2014   #55
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Bob Allen retired? Bob's opinion meant nothing to me when he was hired, much less retired
Old 05-08-2014   #56
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I admit it's somewhere between far-fetched and absurd, but the reality is that even though AJ is inarguably the best offensive player if not the best player period this franchise has ever had, he's part of this teams history more than it's future. OK let's just say that they talked to AJ about "modifying' his contract, and AJ didn't like their ideas and one thing led to another and he's saying, "OK fine, but you have to trade me to a SB" contender." Stranger things have happened - nobody every imagined that Montana would leave the 49ers.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #57
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering what Andre did last year getting into a shouting match with Matt on the sideline and then storming off the field, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Andre is realllllllly tired of losing.

Texans blow out the coaching staff. They sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. That's got to make him feel warm and fuzzy right?

Andre is probably waiting to see what we do in the draft and if we get a QB that can make an immediate impact.

Dre has been a loyal player, but everyone has limits. Personally, I wouldn't fault him if he wanted to go some place where he had a better chance of winning a Superbowl next year.

If I'm not mistaken, Dre has only missed one team type practice and that was when he had that little contract issue.

It would not surprise me at all if Dre ends up getting moved.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
My sources tell me that large men seem to be following a brown oblong shaped object made of animal skin..
Wrong thread
Old 05-08-2014   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Considering what Andre did last year getting into a shouting match with Matt on the sideline ...
There was no shouting match.

Good lord, in the retelling a brief exchange is going to become fisticuffs.
Old 05-08-2014   #60
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I would take a 1 and a 3 this yr from the Ravens and a 2015 1st for AJ and never look back.

BTW, does anybody else think it's stupid to have mini camps on the week before the draft? Thanks God'ell hope those sweeps week ratings are worth it.
Thats the thing with Dre.

There is no team that is willing to pay what the Texans fanbase would want for him. He is impossible to be objective about.

If we're really talking about what we'd want in a package, I'd want at least a 1st and a couple of 2nds for him (or trade a second for a bona fide WR prospect). No one is touching that price for a 32 year old #1 WR.

AJ stays, wins a Superbowl, becomes GM, wins 10 more Superbowls. It is that simple.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read