Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2014   #81
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair: Texans wont repeat mistakes we made with David Carr

Quote:
I think that were going to greatly strengthen our team as a result of the draft, McNair said. Weve got 11 picks now in the draft and its a deep draft. So were going to get some good players regardless as to what we do. If we trade down and pick up two or three more players, wed have 13 or 14 [draft picks]. So youre going to see some significant strengthening of our team as a result of this draft.
And with that, I become a McNair fan.

Never in my life would I have thought I'd ever post that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #82
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

He's not saying anything that the media and fans aren't already thinking
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #83
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
He's not saying anything that the media and fans aren't already thinking
That much is very true. It was just cool to hear it from the owner is all. The bad thing about it, it sounds like he has a bit more say so in the draft than I would like an owner to have. But at least his logic is sound.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #84
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
That much is very true. It was just cool to hear it from the owner is all. The bad thing about it, it sounds like he has a bit more say so in the draft than I would like an owner to have. But at least his logic is sound.
oh I thought he was just parroting the dumbed down fan speak he was given

Brain Cushing
Old 05-02-2014   #85
JB
Old Curmudgeon

It was cool he came out and said it tho. He's a fan too
Brain Cushing
Old 05-02-2014   #86
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Imagine you are Clowney, Maziel, TB or Bortles wouldn't you really want to play for this guy? whahaha
Old 05-02-2014   #87
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Flame me if you want, but I wish someone would show McNair what else he can do with his socks.
Mr. McNair obviously didn't get the memo about baiting the OT hook.

Here's the source article: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/25...t-of-the-draft
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2014   #88
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Anytrade offer would be good.
Old 05-02-2014   #89
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully Bob wont repeat mistakes he's made in the 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th and 7th rounds again either.
Old 05-03-2014   #90
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Well the scoreboard disagrees with you. Since the Texans have adopted the yearly policy of having little no salary cap room to start the new year, along with having to borrow $$$ from future years in order to pay a full 53 man roster this year, the Texans have gone down hill since every year since and are currently in complete disarray. Until the salary cap allows the Texans the ability to afford replacing lost free agents with equal or better talent, instead of vet minimums the best you can expect is 8-8. You can not build a winning franchise from the draft alone. You have to be able to supplement the draft with above average talent through free agency. These last 3 years the Texans haven't been able to afford average talent. These 3 years the Texans did not have enough money to fill out the roster with vet minimums.

There is HOPE that one day you will be able to understand this and be able to follow this basic logic. We're not giving up HOPE on you yet. It's not that difficult. Fairly basic stuff here. When the Colts have $40 million to spend 2 years in a row and your team has to borrow money to field a team, YOU SIMPLY CANNOT COMPETE.
Come back and talk to me when they have to cough up a $20 mil/yr contract for Andrew Luck and find they can't pay anyone else.

And I don't know if you've noticed but even with all that "spare money" they really haven't done a lot better than we have. Our suckage in 2013 wasn't due to salary cap issues, it was due to injuries and QB performance implosion and McNair meddling (demanding that Keenum be named the starter) ...again.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #91
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Come back and talk to me when they have to cough up a $20 mil/yr contract for Andrew Luck and find they can't pay anyone else.

And I don't know if you've noticed but even with all that "spare money" they really haven't done a lot better than we have. Our suckage in 2013 wasn't due to salary cap issues, it was due to injuries and QB performance implosion and McNair meddling (demanding that Keenum be named the starter) ...again.
Colts went worst to first in 2 years and have $40 mil to spend this year. When you have $0 to spend and a team has $80 mil to spend over a couple of years you can't compete. Colts again, are odds on favorite to win division in 2014, the Texans maybe 8-8 if they're lucky. 4 wins may be more reasonable.

Yeah the results for 2013 suckage was directly responsible for having little or no salary cap space for a couple of years. When 25% of your starters and the B team is rookie and vet minimums your depth and special teams are a major part of that suckage. Depth and special teams ranked at the bottom and you can thank the poorly managed salary cap for that. The unacceptable number of holes on this team is direct result of little or no salary cap. McNair's interference (Ed Reed) and "I will spend whatever it takes", attitude, is also a reason for little or no salary cap room every year for the last 3 years.

A team cannot live by the draft alone. 09' draft only Cushing is here, 10' draft, only Jackson and Graham and Graham should be gone. Each year a team can lose a handful of high profile free agents. Unfortunately going on 3 years, the Texans have not been able to replace these lost players with equal talent, much less better talent. This is what finally caught up with them. It doesn't get any better this year, only worse.

Oh, and the Colts were paying Manning a $20 mil a yr contract and still winning the Super Bowl, so it can be done. It's not that difficult. If you have a $130 mil salary cap, $20 mil for QB, $5 mil for special teams, $5 mil for IR, LTBE and practice squad, $50 mil for Offense, $50 mil for defense.

Last edited by Texian; 05-03-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #92
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Blameful, imo.

In 2006, the team took 43 sacks total, 41 on Carr (a 5 year starter).

In 2007, the team took 22 sacks total on 60 more attempts.

We added Jordan Black and lost Zach Wiegert (OTs), and our first 4 draft picks were Amobi Okoye, Jacoby Jones, Fred Bennett, and Brandon Harrison.

So was it the offensive line, or was it the QB (Schaub/Rosenfels vs Carr)?

In 2007, Carr took 13 sacks in just 136 attempts for Carolina, a ~10% sack rate. Transposing to 2007 Texans attempts, that would've been 51 sacks.

You'd better draft pocket presence, because its darned near impossible to teach at this level.
LOL so for three years he gets no protection and then suddenly we get a little and he's supposed to just stand there like the last 3 years have never happened and not be a little gun shy?

Don't get me wrong David was to blame, but I also can't blame him for being gunshot after so many sacks and getting killed.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #93
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Colts went worst to first in 2 years and have $40 mil to spend this year. When you have $0 to spend and a team has $80 mil to spend over a couple of years you can't compete. Colts again, are odds on favorite to win division in 2014, the Texans maybe 8-8 if they're lucky. 4 wins may be more reasonable.

Yeah the results for 2013 suckage was directly responsible for having little or no salary cap space for a couple of years. When 25% of your starters and the B team is rookie and vet minimums your depth and special teams are a major part of that suckage. Depth and special teams ranked at the bottom and you can thank the poorly managed salary cap for that. The unacceptable number of holes on this team is direct result of little or no salary cap. McNair's interference (Ed Reed) and "I will spend whatever it takes", attitude, is also a reason for little or no salary cap room every year for the last 3 years.

A team cannot live by the draft alone. 09' draft only Cushing is here, 10' draft, only Jackson and Graham and Graham should be gone. Each year a team can lose a handful of high profile free agents. Unfortunately going on 3 years, the Texans have not been able to replace these lost players with equal talent, much less better talent. This is what finally caught up with them. It doesn't get any better this year, only worse.

Oh, and the Colts were paying Manning a $20 mil a yr contract and still winning the Super Bowl, so it can be done. It's not that difficult. If you have a $130 mil salary cap, $20 mil for QB, $5 mil for special teams, $5 mil for IR, LTBE and practice squad, $50 mil for Offense, $50 mil for defense.
You're wrong. We have about 1.5 mil less to spend than the Colts in 2014 and about the same to spend as the Seahawks. Where did you get that $40 million in cap space number from???
LINK
Super Bowl Champs Cap data
Seattle Seahawks 2014 Salary Cap
Est. Salary Cap Space: $12,979,652
Offensive Spend: 24 Players - - - - $58,460,821
Defensive Spend: 24 Players- - - - $51,964,559
Specials Spend: 3 Players - - - - - $3,987,500

Houston Texans 2014 Salary Cap

Est. Salary Cap Space: $12,430,615
Offensive Spend: 24 Players - - - $59,063,642
Defensive Spend: 24 Players- - - $40,078,522
Specials Spend: 3 Players- - - - - $3,491,610

Indianapolis Colts 2014 Salary Cap
Est. Salary Cap Space: $13,989,370
Offensive Spend: 23 players - - - - $43,398,647
Defensive Spend: 25 players- - - - $65,327,676
Specials Spend: 3 players - - - - - - $5,770,000
Old 05-03-2014   #94
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're wrong. We have about 1.5 mil less to spend than the Colts in 2014 and about the same to spend as the Seahawks. Where did you get that $40 million in cap space number from???
LINK
Super Bowl Champs Cap data
Seattle Seahawks 2014 Salary Cap
Est. Salary Cap Space: $12,979,652
Offensive Spend: 24 Players - - - - $58,460,821
Defensive Spend: 24 Players- - - - $51,964,559
Specials Spend: 3 Players - - - - - $3,987,500

Houston Texans 2014 Salary Cap

Est. Salary Cap Space: $12,430,615
Offensive Spend: 24 Players - - - $59,063,642
Defensive Spend: 24 Players- - - $40,078,522
Specials Spend: 3 Players- - - - - $3,491,610

Indianapolis Colts 2014 Salary Cap
Est. Salary Cap Space: $13,989,370
Offensive Spend: 23 players - - - - $43,398,647
Defensive Spend: 25 players- - - - $65,327,676
Specials Spend: 3 players - - - - - - $5,770,000
In simple terms, why I am right:

A. The Seahawks who today have the same salary cap as the Texans are a Super Bowl Champions, the Texans are 2-14 and full of holes. So far this year the Seahawks have signed or re-signed: Earl Thomas, Marcus Trufant, Sidney Rice, Tony Daniel, Michael Bennett and are in negotiations to extend Richard Sherman and have approx $12.9 mil remaining under the cap..

B. The Colts started 2014 w/ approx $38 million under the cap and have since signed: Vontae Davis, Arthur Jones, Hakeem Nicks, Phil Costa, Ahmad Bradshaw, Adam Vinateri, Pat McAfee, Fili Moala, D'Qwell Jackson and have approx. $13 mil remaining under the cap

The Texans, on the other hand have signed; Garrett Graham, Jarrell Powe, Kendrick Lewis and Chris CLemons after cutting Owen Daniels and Daniel Manning (better players than they've signed) and have approx $12.4 million under the cap.

When you look at the players signed or re-signed by Seattle and Indianapolis vs the players signed by Houston there is no comparison, it's night and day. This is a great example. This is exactly what has been happening to the Texans the last 3 years. This is a perfect illustration to explain the demise and deterioration of the Texans over the last 3 years.
Old 05-03-2014   #95
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

At least next week these self anointed GM's can b!tch about the draft instead of this drivel.

Last edited by DBCooper; 05-03-2014 at 07:10 PM.
DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Colts went worst to first in 2 years and have $40 mil to spend this year.
The Colts were the worst team in football in 2011.

They won 11 games in 2012. Who were the big named FAs they signed that ushered in that turn around? How much did they spend?

They started the next offseason with $40M to spend and as a result, they won 11 games in 2013. How much of that $40M did they spend & on who? How did those players help them win in 2013?

And lastly, I'm sure you wouldn't have had a problem if our wonderful FO traded our 1st round pick for Trent Richardson? Of course, the Colts knew their first round pick was going to be in the 20s so you can't really compare them right? So instead, what would you think if Rick Smith traded Cleveland our 2nd for Trent Richardson?
Old 05-03-2014   #97
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
At least next week these self anointed GM's can ***** about the draft instead of this drivel.
Probably not since this has been an ongoing problem for 3 years. Post draft
will offer a break though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The Colts were the worst team in football in 2011.

They won 11 games in 2012. Who were the big named FAs they signed that ushered in that turn around? How much did they spend?

They started the next offseason with $40M to spend and as a result, they won 11 games in 2013. How much of that $40M did they spend & on who? How did those players help them win in 2013?

And lastly, I'm sure you wouldn't have had a problem if our wonderful FO traded our 1st round pick for Trent Richardson? Of course, the Colts knew their first round pick was going to be in the 20s so you can't really compare them right? So instead, what would you think if Rick Smith traded Cleveland our 2nd for Trent Richardson?
Sounds like the Kool Aid is tasting a little bitter today.
Old 05-03-2014   #98
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Sounds like the Kool Aid is tasting a little bitter today.
Sounds like you're sidestepping his question
Old 05-03-2014   #99
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sounds like you're sidestepping his question
I answered the question completely and sincerely in post #94. I even gave you a rep for illustrating so well the Texans dysfunctional cap management so much better than I have been able to. As to Thunderkyss response, that was just a little kool aid reflux and regurgitation that happens and often results in the babble of homina homina homina

TK can do his own homework, I'm not his secretary. In regards to Richardson, no disagreement from me. I agree completely it was definitely a WTH is going on decision, head scratcher. Pep Hamilton has since been relegated to play 2nd fiddle to Rob Chudsinski as a result of the Richardson decision. In the general discussion TK couldn't help himself and Richardson argument was the best that he could do even though it led to more homina homina homina babble. On another note when was the last time the Texans were able to trade for and AFFORD a 1st RD draft pick whether the player was GOOD, BAD or INDIFFERENT?
Old 05-03-2014   #100
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I answered the question completely and sincerely in post #94. I even gave you a rep for illustrating so well the Texans dysfunctional cap management so much better than I have been able to. As to Thunderkyss response, that was just a little kool aid reflux and regurgitation that happens and often results in the babble of homina homina homina

TK can do his own homework, I'm not his secretary. In regards to Richardson, no disagreement from me. I agree completely it was definitely a WTH is going on decision, head scratcher. Pep Hamilton has since been relegated to play 2nd fiddle to Rob Chudsinski as a result of the Richardson decision. In the general discussion TK couldn't help himself and Richardson argument was the best that he could do even though it led to more homina homina homina babble. On another note when was the last time the Texans were able to trade for and AFFORD a 1st RD draft pick whether the player was GOOD, BAD or INDIFFERENT?
Peace.
On the surface, it looks like the Colts have made the bigger splash and the Seahawks have been able to keep some key pieces. Although losing McDonald, Bryant, and Clemmons off that defensive line - which was a strength for them - might adversely affect the pass rush that gave Peyton fits in the SB.

Only the upcoming season will show who made the better moves.

Oh and I do appreciate the rep.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read