Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2014   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair: Texans won’t repeat mistakes we made with David Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Losing to the Ravens by 7 with a rookie late round QB, and 13 to the Patriots in a shootout isn't what any intelligent person would call getting "blown out".

Again, only on Texans talk.
Agreed on the Ravens

The pats game was hardly a shootout. Unless we have diferent definitions of the word shootout. That game was over after the 1st qtr.

Sorry that I've got different expectations of my favorite team than getting a wildcard wins a couple of yrs out of a decade. I could see how that would be good enough for the Aggie crowd, since they haven't known what it's like to be the best 1940.

This is the crowd that the Texans org is counting on to fill Reliant and probably the main reason Manziel will be a Texan, whether it be at 1-1 or a trade down to 1-6 with Atlanta, or a trade up if JM falls to the 13-16 range. (Gotta keep them Aggies coming out to the ole ballpark.)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Sorry that I've got different expectations of my favorite team than getting a wildcard wins a couple of yrs out of a decade. I could see how that would be good enough for the Aggie crowd, since they haven't known what it's like to be the best 1940.
I don't have a problem with your expectations. My issue is that it's like you expect McNair to change the past. He can't.

The first 4 years were a flop. He realized that. The only thing he can do from that point is to scrap it all & start over, which he did.

He doesn't deserve any more criticism for what happened the first four years. He saw it, he did what we had to do & we moved forward.

Over the next 4 year period, we only had one losing season & finally had a winning season. I'll put it another way. He took a failed expansion team from losers to winners in 4 years.

Some people expected play offs in that time. I admit, it would have been nice. It didn't happen. Could any other coach/GM combination come in & rebuild a failed expansion team & win a Super Bowl in 4 seasons? Could another coach/GM combination come in & take that failed team to a play off game?

I doubt it. Why? Because we haven't seen it anywhere else. Haven't seen it with the Browns. The Browns have fired coaches & GMs & changed owners like "everyone" wants here & they are not the better for it.

After the initial success of the Panthers & the Jags... they haven't done much since. The Panthers got to the Super Bowl, with a team not very different from what we started with last season. So maybe that's saying something, but overall those teams have not been any better than the Texans over the last 4 years.

So what if they fired Kubiak/Smith after 2010, what would you have expected? A play off berth? A division championship? A Play off win? Heck, you probably think the Colts are a better team than we are, but we've done better than them over the last three years.

First 4 years, we sucked. Get over it. We can't change it. McNair can't do anything about it.

Second 4 years, he turned this thing around. We were the Browns, we were the Lions.

Third 4 years, better than half the league. Think about it. Go look. We were better than half the league over the last 4 years.

Hopefully McNair has made moves that will make our next 4 years better than 2/3rds of the league. Hopefully four years from now, we'll look back & realize we were a top 10 team over that time period.

Because that's where we are at. We're on the brink of being a top 10 team in this league, or falling back into mediocrity.
Old 05-01-2014   #63
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Just because they haven't done things in a manner that you approve of doesn't make it a bad decision
It doesn't necessarily make it a good decision either.
Old 05-01-2014   #64
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't have a problem with your expectations. My issue is that it's like you expect McNair to change the past. He can't.

The first 4 years were a flop. He realized that. The only thing he can do from that point is to scrap it all & start over, which he did.

He doesn't deserve any more criticism for what happened the first four years. He saw it, he did what we had to do & we moved forward.

Over the next 4 year period, we only had one losing season & finally had a winning season. I'll put it another way. He took a failed expansion team from losers to winners in 4 years.

Some people expected play offs in that time. I admit, it would have been nice. It didn't happen. Could any other coach/GM combination come in & rebuild a failed expansion team & win a Super Bowl in 4 seasons? Could another coach/GM combination come in & take that failed team to a play off game?

I doubt it. Why? Because we haven't seen it anywhere else. Haven't seen it with the Browns. The Browns have fired coaches & GMs & changed owners like "everyone" wants here & they are not the better for it.

After the initial success of the Panthers & the Jags... they haven't done much since. The Panthers got to the Super Bowl, with a team not very different from what we started with last season. So maybe that's saying something, but overall those teams have not been any better than the Texans over the last 4 years.

So what if they fired Kubiak/Smith after 2010, what would you have expected? A play off berth? A division championship? A Play off win? Heck, you probably think the Colts are a better team than we are, but we've done better than them over the last three years.

First 4 years, we sucked. Get over it. We can't change it. McNair can't do anything about it.

Second 4 years, he turned this thing around. We were the Browns, we were the Lions.

Third 4 years, better than half the league. Think about it. Go look. We were better than half the league over the last 4 years.

Hopefully McNair has made moves that will make our next 4 years better than 2/3rds of the league. Hopefully four years from now, we'll look back & realize we were a top 10 team over that time period.

Because that's where we are at. We're on the brink of being a top 10 team in this league, or falling back into mediocrity.
I agree that this year is very key to quality of next few years & why I am so focused on this draft. We can bring in starters as low as fifth round & greatly improve this roster or the bottom can fall out. A so so draft and couple of injuries to key vets and we could be "deja vuing" all over again in 12 months.

Brown, Watt and Cushing (again) miss most of a season and we should all go get drunk. We not only need to add starters but improve our depth
Old 05-02-2014   #65
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

well said.
+rep
Old 05-02-2014   #66
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we did it wrong under capers and casserly. "it" being everything. as a quote of a quote said - we were a marketing company with a football division. mcnair hadnt the foggiest idea what he was doing so he got the coach who had success (got lucky) with an expansion, a GM who had success (got lucky) under a great head coach, and a face of the franchise qb first. we looked good, but had zero substance and predictably failed spectacularly.

we did it right the second time. we got a head coach who knew what he was doing, and had a proven successful system with his name attached to it's development. he was a rookie with zero oversight though because he had the most experience in the organization. we grew from 1 wide receiver to an extremely strong core because of that experience however. several bumps in the road, and the first time coach wasnt quite up to the task because a few shortcomings trampled several strengths.

now we have another coach who is again a rookie, but took a more varied path to get here. he's bringing in veteran assistants opposite his strengths right away instead of more rookies in his young tree. like the first two attempts, we need a quarterback to carry the team, but we learned with carr that it's not safe to throw a rookie into an unstable situation. we learned with schaub that experience can bring the team together. that's what mcnair's saying, and why we brought in fitz - if we do take a quarterback early, fitz is what tony banks should've been - the guy with the experience to hold it together or take the hits while we mold our future safely. we also have a wildcard or two in the previous regime's projects - yates and keenum, both of which could be used as either a hail mary hope over fitz, or as the veteran fodder for the draft pick.

we all want superbowls every season, but as i said in 2003, i'm going to be here for the long haul. as long as i see growth, i'm going to keep the faith. we're the youngest franchise in the league and our senior citizen is 32 years old. this coaching staff is starting off better prepared than the last, and we enter this third attempt with 8+ players who've been to the probowl, and at least 4 all pro's. it's not always pretty, but we're still moving in the right direction.

edit: drunk rambling.

Last edited by Scooter; 05-02-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #67
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The pats game was hardly a shootout. Unless we have diferent definitions of the word shootout. That game was over after the 1st qtr.
truth. the box score tends to distort memories, this was never a game. there were a couple moments that could've drastically changed the course, such as the owen daniels (or was it casey?) drop, but the game as it went was a very ugly blowout.
Old 05-02-2014   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
truth. the box score tends to distort memories, this was never a game. there were a couple moments that could've drastically changed the course, such as the owen daniels (or was it casey?) drop, but the game as it went was a very ugly blowout.
That's not the way I remember it.

Don't remember a shootout either.

We were in that game until midway through the third, when the wheels fell off. I'm not blaming Schaub for that loss, but there was at least two moments that could have made "Matt Schuab" but he choked & the rest is history.

I think those moments are what started all the "We need Schaub to step up" talk from the FO that offseason (deservedly so) & that's what screwed up his head for 2013. He tried to become "the play maker" & he's just not that guy.
Old 05-02-2014   #69
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Must spread rep.
Some hold on to the past like a vengeful spouse who will never let you forget the fact that you forgot an anniversary ten years ago.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #70
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In essence McNair bankrupted the team in order to BUY success. He did this by borrowing money from future years to pay for the third 4 years. As a result this practice has come back to bite him in the butt. The beginning of the fourth 4 years resembles the first 4 years.

You used HOPE twice in a paragraph. If your are good at what you do, know what you're doing, HOPE is not part of the equation. At this point, being a top 10 team is more HOPE and WISHFUL THINKING. The DOLLARS and CENTS haven't changed and until they do, expect more of the same.
Old 05-02-2014   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
In essence McNair bankrupted the team in order to BUY success. He did this by borrowing money from future years to pay for the third 4 years. As a result this practice has come back to bite him in the butt. The beginning of the fourth 4 years resembles the first 4 years.

You used HOPE twice in a paragraph. If your are good at what you do, know what you're doing, HOPE is not part of the equation. At this point, being a top 10 team is more HOPE and WISHFUL THINKING. The DOLLARS and CENTS haven't changed and until they do, expect more of the same.
I hope. I didn't say Bob Hopes. He probably feels pretty confident.

& there you go beating that dead horse again. I still do not agree that mismanagement of the cap is the root cause of our salary cap situation. Not in terms of contract value & structure anyway. You make a good arguement tha... no I take that back. Only an idiot can follow your logic.
Old 05-02-2014   #72
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I hope. I didn't say Bob Hopes. He probably feels pretty confident.

& there you go beating that dead horse again. I still do not agree that mismanagement of the cap is the root cause of our salary cap situation. Not in terms of contract value & structure anyway. You make a good arguement tha... no I take that back. Only an idiot can follow your logic.
Well the scoreboard disagrees with you. Since the Texans have adopted the yearly policy of having little no salary cap room to start the new year, along with having to borrow $$$ from future years in order to pay a full 53 man roster this year, the Texans have gone down hill every year since and are currently in complete disarray. Until the salary cap allows the Texans the ability to afford replacing lost free agents with equal or better talent, instead of vet minimums the best you can expect is 8-8. You can not build a winning franchise from the draft alone. You have to be able to supplement the draft with above average talent through free agency. These last 3 years the Texans haven't been able to afford average talent. These 3 years the Texans did not have enough money to fill out the roster with vet minimums.

There is HOPE that one day you will be able to understand this and be able to follow this basic logic. We're not giving up HOPE on you yet. It's not that difficult. Fairly basic stuff here. When the Colts have $40 million to spend 2 years in a row and your team has to borrow money to field a team, YOU SIMPLY CANNOT COMPETE.

Last edited by Texian; 05-03-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Well the scoreboard disagrees with you.
There's that logic of yours again. You must have like an 11' standing broad jump. It's freakily amazing.
Old 05-02-2014   #74
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There's that logic of yours again. You must have like an 11' standing broad jump. It's freakily amazing.
and what is the flavor of the week, this week?
Old 05-02-2014   #75
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and what is the flavor of the week, this week?
I think for you its "slap somebody chili", heavily seasoned with past thyme

Old 05-02-2014   #76
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think for you its "slap somebody chili", heavily seasoned with past thyme

If the frigging draft don't hurry an and get here so we have something concrete to talk about, I'm gonna go crazy with these bull**** threads. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #77
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bob McNair: Texans won’t repeat mistakes we made with David Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
What makes you think the fruit of that foresight isn't taking shape now? I see the moves they made(shedding several overpaid contracts)/didn't make (throwing money away in FA) as a positive start toward turning this franchise around. I think anyone with an open mind, sans an agenda (which I KNOW is too much for some to give up).

I would agree that's it's too early to know for sure but it seems to me they've been proactive as far as the cap is concerned and we only have to wait a little over a week to see how the draft plays out.

I'm off the Kool-Aid but at the same time am willing to take a wait and see stance before I'm ready to pull the pitch fork out. I know that's not an overly popular stance. So be it.

Agree with you 1000%. Some people can't see the possibility that we are currently in a stage where we are re-booting the franchise. Not just "the team," but the entire Houston Texans as an organization.

I'll give O'Brien the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason not to. I'm not 100% on kool aid, either, but, I don't see where this franchise can go but up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #78
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I hope. I didn't say Bob Hopes.
Bob Hope is dead!
Old 05-02-2014   #79
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bob Hope is dead!
Never!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #80
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Flame me if you want, but I wish someone would show McNair what else he can do with his socks.

Quote:
McNair sheds more light on Texans’ plans
May 2, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

It’s becoming more clear that the Texans would like to trade the top pick in the draft to someone who wants defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

Texans owner Bob McNair addressed the team’s plans on Friday. While intending to say nothing, he said plenty.

“Really at this point we don’t know and we really won’t know until right up at the time we have to make a decision because people are talking to us about the possibility of trading down and it’s a question of what people offer, whether their offer is such that it’s worthwhile to trade down,” McNair told FOX 26 in Houston regarding the team’s plans for the pick.

The more McNair talked, the more obvious it became that the plan is to trade the ability to select Clowney for the chance to get a quarterback, plus extra picks — or to take Clowney and then trade him to a team that drafts the player the Texans prefer. Presumably, a quarterback.

“You take a guy like Clowney,” McNair said. “He’s obviously the best player in the draft, but he’s a defensive end. He’s not a quarterback. If he’s a quarterback and the best player it’s easy, but that’s not the case. So can that defensive player have a greater impact on the success of your team than one of these quarterbacks? It’s not a sure thing that he is. . . . If somebody wants you to drop down and they give you two or three more picks that would let you get two or three more quality players, are you a stronger team dropping down a little bit, getting these additional picks and getting more depth?”

Even if the Texans trade down to get a quarterback, McNair has concerns.

“You got three quarterbacks and all of them have some holes in their resume,” McNair said. “A quarterback that goes out and performs for you and is a franchise quarterback is more valuable than a player playing another position, but there’s a lot more risk there. It’s a more difficult position to play and there are lot more failures.

“You drop down and there’s another group close behind, not exactly where they are, and maybe one of those quarterbacks will become better than one of these other three,” McNair said. “There are no slam dunks. There are no Andrew Lucks out there, no Peyton Mannings. If there were it would be an easy decision, but that’s not the case.”

Regardless of how it plays out, McNair remains confident that the Texans will emerge from the three-day player-acquisition exercise in much better shape.

“I think that we’re going to greatly strengthen our team as a result of the draft,” McNair said. “We’ve got 11 picks now in the draft and it’s a deep draft. So we’re going to get some good players regardless as to what we do. If we trade down and pick up two or three more players, we’d have 13 or 14 [draft picks]. So you’re going to see some significant strengthening of our team as a result of this draft.”

How much stronger depends on whether the Texans make the right move with the first No. 1 overall pick they’ve earned in eight years.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read