Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2014   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair: Texans won’t repeat mistakes we made with David Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
What makes you think the fruit of that foresight isn't taking shape now? I see the moves they made(shedding several overpaid contracts)/didn't make (throwing money away in FA) as a positive start toward turning this franchise around. I think anyone with an open mind, sans an agenda (which I KNOW is too much for some to give up).

I would agree that's it's too early to know for sure but it seems to me they've been proactive as far as the cap is concerned and we only have to wait a little over a week to see how the draft plays out.

I'm off the Kool-Aid but at the same time am willing to take a wait and see stance before I'm ready to pull the pitch fork out. I know that's not an overly popular stance. So be it.
I admire your stance.

I wish I felt the same way, but a decade of medicore at best football has jaded me to the point I expect the Texans org to screw the pooch.

What would it take for you to pull out the pitch forks. The pitch forks should've come out after the 6-10 2010 season.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #42
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
What makes you think the fruit of that foresight isn't taking shape now? I see the moves they made(shedding several overpaid contracts)/didn't make (throwing money away in FA) as a positive start toward turning this franchise around. I think anyone with an open mind, sans an agenda (which I KNOW is too much for some to give up).

I would agree that's it's too early to know for sure but it seems to me they've been proactive as far as the cap is concerned and we only have to wait a little over a week to see how the draft plays out.

I'm off the Kool-Aid but at the same time am willing to take a wait and see stance before I'm ready to pull the pitch fork out. I know that's not an overly popular stance. So be it.
The term long term planning has a different meaning for some, with or without an agenda. I too, think it's to early to tell about the new changes. However the initial transactions are somewhat concerning to me.

Releasing Daniels and signing Graham at 80% of Daniel's salary is something I wouldn't have done. Especially with Graham rating as one of the worst at his position by PFF. By keeping Daniels another year and letting him be a FA in 15' a 16' comp would've been in order.

The same is true with Manning. Keeping Manning for a year and then letting him become a FA would've been another comp pick in 2016. Why throw these comp picks away? These early transactions have been short and long term steps backwards for the Texans.

The reason the Texans have NOT thrown money away in free agency these last two years is because they haven't had the money available to throw away at free agency these last two years.

Last edited by Texian; 04-29-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #43
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yes it is where were you?Are you satisfied that we traded all 2014 picks for picks in 2015? My sources tell me we are going to move up and take Winston..if he is not in prison.

Didn't we draft him and cut him once already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #44
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate hearing the excuses for David Carr. Most franchises that have the #1 pick don't have great protection for a young QB. That's why they have the #1 pick.

Carr didn't study film nearly enough and he has admitted that himself. He didn't study defenses and become a master at recognizing coverages and take on that leadership role. Sure, the Texans had some negligence at the Oline, but the Steelers had that problem for years with Ben and so did that Packers with Rodgers and both guys played through it and had some great seasons. Carr was never going to be a good QB no matter where he played or what the Texans did.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #45
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What would it take for you to pull out the pitch forks. The pitch forks should've come out after the 6-10 2010 season.
We won back to back division titles and had playoff wins in 2011 and 2012. Maybe you should reevaluate the things that make you whip out the pitchforks.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #46
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
We won back to back division titles and had playoff wins in 2011 and 2012. Maybe you should reevaluate the things that make you whip out the pitchforks.
Like everything you've to take the good with bad. The good is what you've mentioned above. The bad is, it happened when Peyton was sitting on the sideline, Jeff Fisher had resigned, since then Andrew Luck is now the Colts QB, Gus Bradley is Jags HC, Ken Whisenhunt is Titans HC and the Texans don't have a QB.
Old 04-30-2014   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The term long term planning has a different meaning for some, with or without an agenda. I too, think it's to early to tell about the new changes. However the initial transactions are somewhat concerning to me.

Releasing Daniels and signing Graham at 80% of Daniel's salary is something I wouldn't have done. Especially with Graham rating as one of the worst at his position by PFF. By keeping Daniels another year and letting him be a FA in 15' a 16' comp would've been in order.

The same is true with Manning. Keeping Manning for a year and then letting him become a FA would've been another comp pick in 2016. Why throw these comp picks away? These early transactions have been short and long term steps backwards for the Texans.

The reason the Texans have NOT thrown money away in free agency these last two years is because they haven't had the money available to throw away at free agency these last two years.
OD was 20% better than "one of the worst" & you want him? They must think the players replacing these two will be better. It might be wrong to assume Graham will start.
Old 04-30-2014   #48
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
OD was 20% better than "one of the worst" & you want him? They must think the players replacing these two will be better. It might be wrong to assume Graham will start.

You missed the point. According to PFF Daniels ranked 26th and Graham 56th. By keeping Daniels for another year you gain a comp pick in 2016. Now you don't and you're NOT any better off for it.
Old 04-30-2014   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You missed the point. According to PFF Daniels ranked 26th and Graham 56th. By keeping Daniels for another year you gain a comp pick in 2016. Now you don't and you're NOT any better off for it.
26 is much better than 56. Perhaps OD's injury history was a factor.
Old 04-30-2014   #50
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Conducting business based on whether you may or may not get a comp pick two years down the road is sheer folly
Old 04-30-2014   #51
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127251 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like everything you've to take the good with bad. The good is what you've mentioned above. The bad is, it happened when Peyton was sitting on the sideline, Jeff Fisher had resigned, since then Andrew Luck is now the Colts QB, Gus Bradley is Jags HC, Ken Whisenhunt is Titans HC and the Texans don't have a QB.
I love this logic!

Right up there with the Rockets only won back to back championships because Jordan went to play baseball.
Old 04-30-2014   #52
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
26 is much better than 56. Perhaps OD's injury history was a factor.
It didn't seem to be with Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Conducting business based on whether you may or may not get a comp pick two years down the road is sheer folly
This might make sense if the team was actually taking steps forward but they're not. Actually they took 3 steps backwards in the process of releasing Daniels and Manning and have replaced them with much worse players. Come 2016 you will wish you had those 2 comp picks. Some folks can plan for the future, some folks can't.
Old 04-30-2014   #53
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This might make sense if the team was actually taking steps forward but they're not. Actually they took 3 steps backwards in the process of releasing Daniels and Manning and have replaced them with much worse players. Come 2016 you will wish you had those 2 comp picks. Some folks can plan for the future, some folks can't.
The draft hasn't been held yet, fa period is not over, ota's haven't started. You don't have a clue what they may or may not be planning for those positions
Old 04-30-2014   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I get your point but it should be considered.
Old 04-30-2014   #55
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The draft hasn't been held yet, fa period is not over, ota's haven't started. You don't have a clue what they may or may not be planning for those positions
Actually I do have somewhat of a clue what they might do in FA. Not much! The Texans do not have the money (cap space) to do much of anything except a few vet minimums to fill out their roster.
Old 04-30-2014   #56
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Actually I do have somewhat of a clue what they might do in FA. Not much! The Texans do not have the money (cap space) to do much of anything except a few vet minimums to fill out their roster.
Ok, you have a point (as it stands right now). But there is still the draft and the option of reworking contracts if OB doesn't think that Graham and Griffin can do what he wants done AND/OR he can't utilize what they can do.

It's too early for me to look on the negative side the roster until I see how they fill that roster and plan to utilize it.

Just because they haven't done things in a manner that you approve of doesn't make it a bad decision
Old 04-30-2014   #57
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok, you have a point (as it stands right now). But there is still the draft and the option of reworking contracts if OB doesn't think that Graham and Griffin can do what he wants done AND/OR he can't utilize what they can do.

It's too early for me to look on the negative side the roster until I see how they fill that roster and plan to utilize it.

Just because they haven't done things in a manner that you approve of doesn't make it a bad decision
I said at the beginning it was early, no argument there. Also OB is a rookie HC in the NFL. I expect OB to make some rookie HC mistakes. I was just pointing out that the initial transactions made from OB is something I wouldn't have necessarily done. I am on record and have been saying for years that there is HC think and there is GM think. The Daniels, Manning decisions fall under HC think and NOT GM think IMHO.
Old 04-30-2014   #58
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
And got blown out by good teams in the playoffs.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Makes me think that some of the culture of taking chances on players with significant injury history has traveled east with Kubiak.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #60
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
And got blown out by good teams in the playoffs.
Losing to the Ravens by 7 with a rookie late round QB, and 13 to the Patriots in a shootout isn't what any intelligent person would call getting "blown out".

Again, only on Texans talk.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read