Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2014   #21
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anatomy Of A Great Route: How Andre Johnson Is Molding DeAndre Hopkins Into A Mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
Is it just me or has Nuk seemed to have found his version of Innegan in Jason McCourty?
Pretty darned good player, imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #22
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anatomy Of A Great Route: How Andre Johnson Is Molding DeAndre Hopkins Into A Mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Pretty darned good player, imo.
Agreed, but that Nuk guy ain't no slouch. I was kinda surprised to see him being seemingly smeared a week or so ago.

I see a few crow dinners being served up. Starting next season. And going on for many more to come.

If I'm wrong, serve it up.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #23
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I wish I was as optimistic about Hopkins as you guys. I could pick a few plays by Gaffney where he does this stuff too.
i see a lot more larry fitzgerald in hopkins than jabar gaffney. strong route runner, not particularly great physically but exceptional body control, can struggle to find separation at times, and one of a select few as a "go up and get it" receiver. fitz coming out of college had an ability to win the ball in the air better than anyone i'd ever seen, and that attribute has only grown as a pro. hopkins has some of that. i dont know that he'll become fitz enough to be a #1, but it wouldnt surprise me in the least to see him become a 10+ touchdown a year receiver, with some spectacular catches added to his resume (to go with a few already made).
Old 04-28-2014   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i dont know that he'll become fitz enough to be a #1, but it wouldnt surprise me in the least to see him become a 10+ touchdown a year receiver, with some spectacular catches added to his resume (to go with a few already made).
We don't need him to be a #1 right now anyway, so it's a moot point. It would be sweet if he has that jump in production we'd like to see from a 2nd year player, turning in #1 type WR numbers.

Before the season started I said as plainly & clearly as I could that I wanted him to avg 13+ ypc.... he avg'd 15+. I'm happy. That's a WR, that's what we needed. Someone who could stretch the field & command some attention away from Aj.

I think he did that.

I also feel if Aj were to miss a game or two, we'll be ok, because of what we saw Nuk do as a rookie.
Old 04-29-2014   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We don't need him to be a #1 right now anyway, so it's a moot point. It would be sweet if he has that jump in production we'd like to see from a 2nd year player, turning in #1 type WR numbers.

Before the season started I said as plainly & clearly as I could that I wanted him to avg 13+ ypc.... he avg'd 15+. I'm happy. That's a WR, that's what we needed. Someone who could stretch the field & command some attention away from Aj.

I think he did that.

I also feel if Aj were to miss a game or two, we'll be ok, because of what we saw Nuk do as a rookie.
exactly. heck he went 52 for 800+ as a rookie, with chaos at quarterback on a 2 win team, and an elite drop rating. i wouldnt worry if hopkins had to take over as #1 for a while, though our lack of depth scares me if andre went down. i dont know that he'll ever be "the man", but as v3rm0nt3r pointed out earlier - it sure would be nice to have a big timer like roddy white as your #2.

that's where i'm on the fence. hopkins is a player. i disagree with vinny that he's in the gaffney mold - a 3rd or 4th possession option with good hands and decent physically, but poor routes and struggles to separate. dude can play, but where does he fall between fitz and roddy? either way, he's got a bright future and is someone we'll be holding onto.

i'm watching a lot of old timers and two names come up when watching hopkins. the first i was drawn to compare him to was torry holt, but the scheme got holt so open it's hard to see the similarities. the other, and i realize i'm comparing a #2 sophomore to a hall of famer, is cris carter. the routes, the fight in traffic, the sideline catches, the "go get it". carter is a good comparison i think. it's obviously much too early to say hopkins will compare to someone, but he is a very good match to cris carter.
Old 04-29-2014   #26
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
exactly. heck he went 52 for 800+ as a rookie, with chaos at quarterback on a 2 win team, and an elite drop rating. i wouldnt worry if hopkins had to take over as #1 for a while, though our lack of depth scares me if andre went down. i dont know that he'll ever be "the man", but as v3rm0nt3r pointed out earlier - it sure would be nice to have a big timer like roddy white as your #2.

that's where i'm on the fence. hopkins is a player. i disagree with vinny that he's in the gaffney mold - a 3rd or 4th possession option with good hands and decent physically, but poor routes and struggles to separate. dude can play, but where does he fall between fitz and roddy? either way, he's got a bright future and is someone we'll be holding onto.

i'm watching a lot of old timers and two names come up when watching hopkins. the first i was drawn to compare him to was torry holt, but the scheme got holt so open it's hard to see the similarities. the other, and i realize i'm comparing a #2 sophomore to a hall of famer, is cris carter. the routes, the fight in traffic, the sideline catches, the "go get it". carter is a good comparison i think. it's obviously much too early to say hopkins will compare to someone, but he is a very good match to cris carter.
Torry Holt had top end speed,quickness,and route running. Holt was a 4.3 guy with elite quickness. He got open even when the offense lost a lot of tgheir great players. I can see carter in your comparison. He's more of a border wr. Not gonna run by anyone,but can locate the ball and make good catches. I thought the texans drated hopkins because he's a good bad ball catcher. I liked justin hunter more because of his vertical speed and seperation. I think Nuk will be a more complete wr,but I think hunter will be more feared because of his speed and leaping ability.
Old 04-29-2014   #27
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Torry Holt had top end speed,quickness,and route running. Holt was a 4.3 guy with elite quickness. He got open even when the offense lost a lot of tgheir great players. I can see carter in your comparison. He's more of a border wr. Not gonna run by anyone,but can locate the ball and make good catches. I thought the texans drated hopkins because he's a good bad ball catcher. I liked justin hunter more because of his vertical speed and seperation. I think Nuk will be a more complete wr,but I think hunter will be more feared because of his speed and leaping ability.
i'm with you entirely. i am VERY much on the record wanting justin hunter (annoyingly so). i wanted to eye holt as a comparison as a bigtime #2 playing with an elite #1 (i also used size in that attempt), but as you said i couldnt because of the scheme as well as holt's short area quickness that hopkins doesnt have. hopkins will be a fantastic #2 for today's game though. whether that's a good thing or not as a first rounder is up for discussion. he doesnt look to be able to scare teams as a #1, but similarly noone is going to let him run free ... 800yds as a rookie is only a precursor. i'll stick with cris carter as a comparison. route, hands, sideline ability, body control, and "go get it" ... if we can keep a talent on the other side hopkins is going to flourish.
Old 04-29-2014   #28
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

I myself find it hard to compare Nuk's game to anyone so my theory is he is a new breed of WR. Watkins and Benjamin are in the same mold as Nuk, red zone monsters. With how Nuk is showing that he can be coached and is learning from another WR who was a new breed when he came out, the big bodied WR, the ceiling is very high on our boy. Now.........is it September already?
Old 04-29-2014   #29
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I can see the appeal of Hunter's physical capabilities, I still feel Nuk was the better, safer option. We've drafted physical freaks at WR before with the mindset that they could be coached up (Jacoby and/or KeyMart anyone?) but we've learned, perhaps too slowly, that speed alone doesn't get receivers open and it sure as hell doesn't catch them the ball. What this offense really needed was a compliment to Andre and that's what I believe we found in Nuk. Andre has always had enough athletic ability to scare defenses by himself but after Walter lost his legs completely there simply wasn't a viable option on the other side of the field that had the ability to consistently get open, hold onto the goddamn ball, and take at least SOME of the focus off Johnson. Nuk was able to step into this role immediately and operate more than effectively. So yeah, I really couldn't care less how ineffective he is at stretching the field, just so long as he continues utilizing those magnets he had embedded in his fingertips to move the chains every once in a while.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #30
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm with you on the Cris Carter comparison. I said that before here, but didn't get any responses either agreeing with it disagreeing, so I figured nobody had a strong opinion on it one way or the other. I definitely see C Carter as a parallel.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Depends how you look at it. I see it as a nice recovery and not giving up on the play. When I think of "blown up" I think of getting easily beaten and put on your ass (see Myers/Jenkins). I'd say it's a win for Brooks, but he should thank Schaub for the help.

All that said, I'm more surprised that Schaub maneuvered his way up in the pocket.
That doesn't look like a guy with bum feet to me.
Even in the face of the rush, Schaub's eyes stayed down field. And the thing about that completion that strikes me the most is the confidence those guys have in each other. Schaub throws the ball before A.J. breaks to the sideline.
A.J. runs a precise route, knowing that Schaub's pass will be right it needs to be when he makes his break. When those two were clicking it was a thing of beauty.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Torry Holt had top end speed,quickness,and route running...
Plus he had that bionic football catching finger.
Old 04-29-2014   #33
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Chris Carter as a WR.

I think Nuk has the same ability to catch the ball Carter had.

Neither are amazing athletes.
Old 04-30-2014   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I wish I was as optimistic about Hopkins as you guys. I could pick a few plays by Gaffney where he does this stuff too.
I am actually very skeptical of young players. More than most. I often think that fans/media tend to over embellish what the new guy will be able to do, and then after they've been with the team for a while, go ugggh, man not that good.

The biggest thing I see with Hopkins is he is having to think too hard, so he is having a hard time just making the plays. That the biggest jump he needs to make is concentration. Doing precision route running, so he's in the right spot to make plays. (I've heard some unkind things about some of his routes, and their consistency).

But I can tell you that at least in what I've seen in camp stuff, he does some amazing, hard to do things. First whoa receiver they've had in camp since AJ. His catch radius is astonishing, and does a nice job of locating the ball once it is in the air.

I'm not sure what exactly the mental demands will be moving to this offense from the old one, but I think that he is poised to have a jump from year one to two, assuming that OB can put together a functioning NFL offense.
Old 05-02-2014   #35
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18764 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

DeAndre Hopkins has some of the best hands in the league. If he can ever focus and play to his potential he should become a steady 1200-yard, 8-to-12 TD a year type of player who can excel in the red zone. His rookie season had its ups and downs, more downs than ups, but I feel like he learned a lot and let's hope he continues to improve.
Old 05-02-2014   #36
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopkins is slow for an outside receiver. Texans should find another guy who can take the top off and put Hopkins in the slot.
Old 05-03-2014   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Hopkins is slow for an outside receiver. Texans should find another guy who can take the top off and put Hopkins in the slot.
A.J. has enough speed for both of them

Link
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #38
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

Wut
Old 05-03-2014   #39
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Wut
+1 & ditto!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Quote:
Trainer on Hopkins' hill at Clemson: "Gutbuster. All mental from the bottom to the top." #Texans

Hopkins' family has intentionally kept some members "around him" since rookie year. "Stay in his head and know where hes at at all times."

Working with his uncle and Sammy Watkins, Hopkins ran around cones placed on hill. "It is challenging. But the reward is great," uncle said.

#Texans' DeAndre Hopkins spent two months this offseason training on 100-yard hill about five minutes from Clemson. Focused on stride length

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read