Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-30-2014   #161
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Report: Texans G.M. prefers Khalil Mack to Jadeveon Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
right next to giving Arian the contract they gave him...

soooo if this was to happen why would it be a surprise?

Cutting Arian down the road is a better option than trading him now for a backup QB that probably wants an 8 million dollar a year contract, who we also don't know if he'll perform well at all. Sign Mallett next year for a modest contract when he becomes a FA if it is really what you want. Don't trade a star RB because he had one wasted season for a backup QB who has proven less than nothing.

Foster's contract is going to be a problem, but he is not going anywhere at least for this season and that would be an idiotic trade.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014   #162
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Cutting Arian down the road is a better option than trading him now for a backup QB that probably wants an 8 million dollar a year contract, who we also don't know if he'll perform well at all. Sign Mallett next year for a modest contract when he becomes a FA if it is really what you want. Don't trade a star RB because he had one wasted season for a backup QB who has proven less than nothing.

Foster's contract is going to be a problem, but he is not going anywhere at least for this season and that would be an idiotic trade.
As far as the goes, We don't know if Foster will perform well at all. He had back surgery and missed eight games last year. And I love how you keep throwing out non factual arguments to support your POV. First it was his arm has gotten weaker and now you know how much money he will want. Whatever!

I won't go as far as saying it would be idiotic to keep him another year but it really is a waste of time. He's not going to be in this teams future. Hell he likely doesn't have much of a future. His time is nearly up. That is a forgone conclusion. Mallet on the other hand could turn out to be a decent QB. Trading a soon to be washed up RB even for a decent backup is a win for this team at this point.
Old 04-30-2014   #163
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post

I won't go as far as saying it would be idiotic to keep him another year but it really is a waste of time. He's not going to be in this teams future. Hell he likely doesn't have much of a future. His time is nearly up. That is a forgone conclusion. Mallet on the other hand could turn out to be a decent QB. Trading a soon to be washed up RB even for a decent backup is a win for this team at this point.
If I had your negative outlook... yeah. I see where you're coming from.

We're not going to win a championship in the next year or two... he's a wasted luxury & if Mallet can be a decent starter, we're the better for it.
Old 04-30-2014   #164
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If I had your negative outlook... yeah. I see where you're coming from.

We're not going to win a championship in the next year or two... he's a wasted luxury & if Mallet can be a decent starter, we're the better for it.
What would you say the odds are that we sin a championship in the next year or two.
Old 04-30-2014   #165
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126709 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting anything out of arian would be a shrewd buisness move. While I like the idea of getting something outta him, thats not the kind of move the texans make. We hold on to players to long and reward them with huge contracts right before their performance falls off the cliff.

Should see what we can get....but we won't.
Old 04-30-2014   #166
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What would you say the odds are that we sin a championship in the next year or two.
40:1

But for me, that's not the point. I believe from the top down everything we do needs to be done with the goal of winning, both in the near & long term. If I think Ryan Mallet has a very good chance of being a franchise QB & the only way I can get him means I've got to trade my franchise RB, then yeah, I do it.

But I believe there's more football left in Arian Foster & I don't think he's getting too much of the salary cap. I do not believe he is so much of a drag that it would benefit us to trade him this year or next.
Old 05-01-2014   #167
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As far as the goes, We don't know if Foster will perform well at all. He had back surgery and missed eight games last year. And I love how you keep throwing out non factual arguments to support your POV. First it was his arm has gotten weaker and now you know how much money he will want. Whatever!

Speaking of "non-factual arguments", do you have a quote to post from Bill O'Brien that supports this "forgone conclusion" that Foster isn't in his plans for this offense?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-01-2014   #168
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Speaking of "non-factual arguments", do you have a quote to post from Bill O'Brien that supports this "forgone conclusion" that Foster isn't in his plans for this offense?
Where did I say That foster isn't in OBs plans for this offense?
Old 05-01-2014   #169
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Where did I say That foster isn't in OBs plans for this offense?
Perhaps I misunderstood your post. Who were you speaking of when you said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #170
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Getting anything out of arian would be a shrewd buisness move. While I like the idea of getting something outta him, thats not the kind of move the texans make. We hold on to players to long and reward them with huge contracts right before their performance falls off the cliff.

Should see what we can get....but we won't.
Why is this the kind of move the Texans org doesn't make? Is it the owner/GM/HC that has refused to make these kinds of moves in the past?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #171
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
40:1

But for me, that's not the point. I believe from the top down everything we do needs to be done with the goal of winning, both in the near & long term. If I think Ryan Mallet has a very good chance of being a franchise QB & the only way I can get him means I've got to trade my franchise RB, then yeah, I do it.

But I believe there's more football left in Arian Foster & I don't think he's getting too much of the salary cap. I do not believe he is so much of a drag that it would benefit us to trade him this year or next.
So you're not concerned that Foster will be coming off of the kind of back surgery that ended Shaun Cody's career? Kubiak overworked Foster and now he's damaged goods. It would be best to trade Foster a yr early and get something for him than a yr too late. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014   #172
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood your post. Who were you speaking of when you said this:
I was referring to foster. But you did misunderstand. I'm saying the combination of his age, recent injury history and the wear on him has added up. He's on the backend of his career. He has a limited amount of time left. It doesn't fit within the time frame of this teams return to contention.

Never said anything about how OB would or wouldn't use him in his offensive plans. Of course he won't be able to use him of he is broke down.
Old 05-01-2014   #173
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
So you're not concerned that Foster will be coming off of the kind of back surgery that ended Shaun Cody's career? Kubiak overworked Foster and now he's damaged goods. It would be best to trade Foster a yr early and get something for him than a yr too late. IMHO
I have as much concern about the changing and dismantling of the OL that Foster was use to running behind. That OL was a two year project it Alex Gibbs to install and refine. Sometimes ZBS RB don't perform as well in other systems.
Old 05-01-2014   #174
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If he is damaged goods, what do you think we would get in a trade for him? ... Assuming he passed the physical... I think there is more value in keeping him, hoping fora healthy season, than in dumping him for a late round pick... The mistake to avoid is keeping him and managing the position with an expectation he will remain healthy.
Old 05-01-2014   #175
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The point being most people have complaints of Foster's cap number this year and the years coming, and I don't think it helps the team's case trading for an unproven QB who is due for an extension in the next year.

I'm not under the belief that Arian is still in his prime or anything, but I do believe we can get more production out of him than you believe, and we can find a QB to match Mallet's likely production in the middle rounds of this year's draft for next to nothing cap wise. Mallett has not taken meaningful snaps in almost 4 years, and he's not exactly an Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young ability wise.
Old 05-01-2014   #176
Ryan
THIS YEAR

*edit*
Old 05-01-2014   #177
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Not at all worried. I'd be thrilled if Arian can lead us to a division title.

& yes, with the schedule we're playing in 2014 with an improved OL, I believe he can.

Longshot... maybe. But I don't think he's damaged goods.
Old 05-02-2014   #178
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN's Adam Schefter indicated on SportsCenter Friday that Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack may still be in the mix to go No. 1 overall to the Texans.
"I do not believe Khalil Mack can be dismissed from the conversation at the No. 1 pick," were Schefter's words. Mack has never been truly dismissed from the discussion, but the commonly held expectation is Houston will select South Carolina DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney. It's worth noting Mack might be a better scheme fit than Clowney for Romeo Crennel's 3-4. In April, SI's Peter King reported a "friend" of Houston GM Rick Smith told him Smith prefers Mack over Clowney. The Texans also shocked the world in 2006 when they picked Mario Williams over Reggie Bush at No. 1, though Smith wasn't their GM at the time.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #179
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now today, Mack would probably be a better fit in Crennel's defense than Clowney, but who even knows if Crennel will be in Houston much beyond this year, while whoever the Texans draft with their 1.1 will almost certainly be a Texan for atleast 4 or 5 years.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #180
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
ESPN's Adam Schefter indicated on SportsCenter Friday that Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack may still be in the mix to go No. 1 overall to the Texans.
"I do not believe Khalil Mack can be dismissed from the conversation at the No. 1 pick,"
were Schefter's words. Mack has never been truly dismissed from the discussion, but the commonly held expectation is Houston will select South Carolina DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney. It's worth noting Mack might be a better scheme fit than Clowney for Romeo Crennel's 3-4. In April, SI's Peter King reported a "friend" of Houston GM Rick Smith told him Smith prefers Mack over Clowney. The Texans also shocked the world in 2006 when they picked Mario Williams over Reggie Bush at No. 1, though Smith wasn't their GM at the time.
One can only hope. At least one is.

That's in spite of that Texian guy/gal chirping about me being a "TeddyBot". Whatever the hell that is.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read