Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Report: Texans G.M. prefers Khalil Mack to Jadeveon Clowney

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Smoke screen or valid is the question?

'
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 21, 2014, 7:39 AM EDT

When the longer-then-ever pre-draft process began, the general assumption was that the Texans would draft a quarterback.

Then, as everyone began to realize what a generational talent Jadeveon Clowney was, the pendulum of conventional wisdom swung that way.

Turns out, neither may be the case in two and a half weeks when the draft finally starts with the Texans on the clock.

According to Peter King of TheMMQB.com, one “Friend of Rick Smith” (the Texans’ General Manager) said that Smith preferred Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack to Clowney, but his preference in quarterbacks was unclear.

While Clowney might be a better fit in a 4-3 defense than in a 3-4 such as Houston’s, that’s still a bold call.

In fact, it’s almost like the kind of thing that gets out there on purpose this time of year, as the Texans hope that someone calls a Friend of Rick Smith and says “Hey, if you don’t want that pick, we do.”

We only have 17 more days to wait to find out.
link

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
In fact, it’s almost like the kind of thing that gets out there on purpose this time of year, as the Texans hope that someone calls a Friend of Rick Smith and says “Hey, if you don’t want that pick, we do.”
Well if so, then why not just wait for him to fall into your lap if the Texans aren't interested ?
Not that I buy these kind of stories, but the logic escapes if it's meant to be a strategy to induce a trade. Seems the desired approach would be for the Texans to express a strong preference for the most sought after player in the Draft if they are looking to flush out a trading partner.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
MMQB
Houston, at No. 1, isn’t set on Jadeveon Clowney. In fact, one FORS (Friend of Rick Smith) told me the Texans general manager likes Khalil Mack over Clowney, and we still don’t know which quarterback Houston would choose if it chooses one first overall. I still think the Texans would go with a more sure thing with the first overall pick than a quarterback-and that sure thing could also be tackle Greg Robinson. But imagine Mack, the outside linebacker from the University of Buffalo, being the first pick in a stacked draft. Wouldn’t that be something-a second straight Mid-American Conference player (Eric Fisher, Central Michigan, by Kansas City) as the top pick in the NFL draft?
Last week it was Rick wanted Teddy Bridgewater, O'Brien wanted Clowney, and McNair wanted Manziel.

This week it's Rick wants Mack, does not want QB, but might go Robinson.

Clear as mud..... 17 days.

[IMGwidthsize=200]http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/news-articles-driver-education-safety/1297598d1383965525-fog-alert-driving-fog-when-visibility-turns-bad-tumblr_me6aazet3z1rvn6njo1_500.gif[/IMG]

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
If true, trade back should be on the table.
Trading is always "on the table' for the team with a pick, it is finding someone to sit down with said team at the table. in a draft with no sure fire number 1, but several rounds of solid depth, I would not be trading up to that position.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
MMQB

Last week it was Rick wanted Teddy Bridgewater, O'Brien wanted Clowney, and McNair wanted Manziel.

This week it's Rick wants Mack, does not want QB, but might go Robinson.

Clear as mud..... 17 days.

[IMGwidthsize=200]http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/news-articles-driver-education-safety/1297598d1383965525-fog-alert-driving-fog-when-visibility-turns-bad-tumblr_me6aazet3z1rvn6njo1_500.gif[/IMG]
I would rather the Texans take whatever player they had the most conviction for than taking Clowney or QB because "the rest of the of the world"

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
Considering most of my stuff gets done this week school wise, it's going to be a long wait till the draft.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
And the next leak will be Robinson and the next will be Watkins. Listen up NFL, we're targeting the player you want. If you want him your going to have to trade with us.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would prefer Rick Smith not have anything to do with the draft or for that matter the Texans org. 2-14.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
I would rather the Texans take whatever player they had the most conviction for than taking Clowney or QB because "the rest of the of the world"
Pretty sure that's how they'll do it, no? I don't think the Texans will be drafting on a consensus of other people's opinions.

Question is, who makes the choice? If it's QB (or even offense) I think we can agree that's OB 's domain. But who's choosing if it's a defensive player? Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

As to the Mack attack, I wonder if there's a team who'd trade up to #1 for Mack? ... So they dangled this tidbit out there to give them a nudge to make an offer. No "secrets" make it to Peter King this time of year. Oops, I accidentally revealed our draft strategy to the biggest NFL writer in the country. Sorry, Rick.

Looking forward I expect to be reading about Teddy's gang affiliation, Blake's crack addiction, Manziel's broken arm, Clowney's broken legs, and Mack & Robinson as roommates in a psychiatric hospital last summer. :kitten:

Texian

Hall of Fame
I would prefer Rick Smith not have anything to do with the draft or for that matter the Texans org. 2-14.
I concur.
Based on the reading of the interview McClain did with O'Leary and others, the one consistent piece of advice O'Brien received from multiple mentors is, "Make sure you're in charge." I highly suspect that this is the case, same as it was with Kubiak and Smith remains O'Brien and McNair's make it happen guy.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
Pretty sure that's how they'll do it, no? I don't think the Texans will be drafting on a consensus of other people's opinions.

Question is, who makes the choice? If it's QB (or even offense) I think we can agree that's OB 's domain. But who's choosing if it's a defensive player? Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

As to the Mack attack, I wonder if there's a team who'd trade up to #1 for Mack? ... So they dangled this tidbit out there to give them a nudge to make an offer. No "secrets" make it to Peter King this time of year. Oops, I accidentally revealed our draft strategy to the biggest NFL writer in the country. Sorry, Rick.

Looking forward I expect to be reading about Teddy's gang affiliation, Blake's crack addiction, Manziel's broken arm, Clowney's broken legs, and Mack & Robinson as roommates in a psychiatric hospital last summer. :kitten:
We have actually swung the door too far the other way in terms of thinking about smokescreens. It is like a poker player who gets a reputation as a 'bluffer," when other players always read bluff, the best play is to tell the truth, since nobody is believing you anyway.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
We have actually swung the door too far the other way in terms of thinking about smokescreens. It is like a poker player who gets a reputation as a 'bluffer," when other players always read bluff, the best play is to tell the truth, since nobody is believing you anyway.
I bet the "trade into 1-1" phone has not rung one time yet, with the draft pushed back. Other than the good-hair brothers already having a conditional trade in place, I don't think much will happen until the week of the draft. Playing chicken. [IMGwidthsize=30]http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?avatar=3871.gif[/IMG]

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Moving the draft back two weeks was just stupid.
Agree. If they want to keep it in May, add 2 rounds to the draft and 10 team visits. If we continue to see underclassmen declarations swell, leaves too much talent on the table as UDFAs imo.

disaacks3

Staff member
I bet the "trade into 1-1" phone has not rung one time yet, with the draft pushed back. Other than the good-hair brothers already having a conditional trade in place, I don't think much will happen until the week of the draft. Playing chicken. [IMGwidthsize=30]http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?avatar=3871.gif[/IMG]
I'd take that bet, guessing that what's been offered hasn't been met with appropriate enthusiasm.

Porky

Hall of Fame
If RS prefers Mack to Clowney, that at least makes two of us. I do too.

Either way, I suspect the friend of RS is actually not any more of a friend then the teenager who goes into the drug store saying his "friend" needs a pack of condoms.

It's RS putting out smoke screens and trying to draw a trading partner. I think they want to trade down bad. Don't think it happens - but I think they would like too.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Agree. If they want to keep it in May, add 2 rounds to the draft and 10 team visits. If we continue to see underclassmen declarations swell, leaves too much talent on the table as UDFAs imo.
That would require NFLPA approval.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I bet that phone has rang a few time, if just to get an idea of how badly the Texans want to trade or feel them out for their price.

I agree that nothing will come of it til the draft is nearer. And I hope something does happen. I don't want to see the Texans picking at 1.1

Nawzer

Alienz
Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Texans drafting Khalil Mack provided it's a trade down. He not only feels a dire need, but is better suited to the position than Clowney. But 'tis the season of lies and deception, so take everything out there with a grain of salt.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Both. Mack may be a better player for our scheme, but I think all of this is being done to facilitate a trade down by pumping up other players.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Texans drafting Khalil Mack provided it's a trade down. He not only feels a dire need, but is better suited to the position than Clowney. But 'tis the season of lies and deception, so take everything out there with a grain of salt.
I keep thinking back to Mario Williams and the hella fast start he got off to as a 3-4 OLB and wondering what might have been.

Peter King is a blithering idiot...

Heard about this article by Peter King and who he thinks the Texans should pick #1. Now I know this is his opinion but this has got to be the dumbest opinion by a journalist I have seen yet, aside from hearing that some NFL executive compared Teddy Bridgewater to "Steamin" Willie Beamen, a fictitious football character...

Houston, at No. 1, isn’t set on Jadeveon Clowney. In fact, one FORS (Friend of Rick Smith) told me the Texans general manager likes Khalil Mack over Clowney, and we still don’t know which quarterback Houston would choose if it chooses one first overall. I still think the Texans would go with a more sure thing with the first overall pick than a quarterback-and that sure thing could also be tackle Greg Robinson. But imagine Mack, the outside linebacker from the University of Buffalo, being the first pick in a stacked draft. Wouldn’t that be something-a second straight Mid-American Conference player (Eric Fisher, Central Michigan, by Kansas City) as the top pick in the NFL draft?
Mack at #1 is extreme but Greg Robinson at #1 is just flat out stupid...IMO

here is the link

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
I'd call the piece more "reporting" than "journalism"... garbage in/garbage out... sometimes (like these pre-draft times) these guys allow themselves to be used as conduits. As long as it's not personal attacks on these kids, I recognize it as part of the process and accept it for what it's worth.

4/21: A friend of general manager Rick Smith told Peter King that the Texans prefer Khalil Mack over Jadeveon Clowney. This is 100-percent smoke.

Last edited:

LikeMike

Veteran
I hate the late draft... why did they push it back again?

Mack shouldn`t be in the discussion for the #1 pick. If you are not sold on any player that teams in the top 5 would most likely select, then trade down. Mack is a great player, and I would be happy if we took him with, say the 6th pick. But so would I with Robinson, Watkins and a bunch of other guys.

I´d say either take the QB you like, or take Clowney. Maybe Robinson desevers to be in the discussion - and a big maybe around Watkins. Nobody else should be in the discussion.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I hate the late draft... why did they push it back again?
For an event that didn't even take place. The people booked for Radio City Music Hall canceled their production, so the place will be sitting there empty.

I'd have much preferred they moved the location... like Toyota Center, or the George R Brown.

For an event that didn't even take place. The people booked for Radio City Music Hall canceled their production, so the place will be sitting there empty.

I'd have much preferred they moved the location... like Toyota Center, or the George R Brown.
I heard a another reason was it was sweeps month and ESPN/ABC wanted to dominate the ratings that week...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You should put that in your signature block...just so you can stop beating that dead horse. :deadhorse
Not beating a dead horse

Just pointing out he's the GM of a 2-14 team. So his thoughts should be held in very low opinion. Unless you're OK with 2-14.

LikeMike

Veteran
Not beating a dead horse

Just pointing out he's the GM of a 2-14 team. So his thoughts should be held in very low opinion. Unless you're OK with 2-14.
While I don`t disagree - his draft track record isn`t bad. A couple of home runs, a couple of real good picks, and a couple of bad picks. Last seasons roster shouldn`t have been a 2-14 team - in fact most people expected it to be a playoff team.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Peter King is a blithering idiot...

Heard about this article by Peter King and who he thinks the Texans should pick #1. Now I know this is his opinion but this has got to be the dumbest opinion by a journalist I have seen yet, aside from hearing that some NFL executive compared Teddy Bridgewater to "Steamin" Willie Beamen, a fictitious football character...

Mack at #1 is extreme but Greg Robinson at #1 is just flat out stupid...IMO

here is the link

Not a Peter King fan by any means but what would be stupid about taking not only the best OT in the entire draft, but also arguably the best athlete?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
but, at least you can have confidence that he will get the 1st round right!:

His record is stellar in the first round (particularly if you assume he learned from the mistake made in his first draft: 2007-Okoye)

Duane Brown
Brian Cushing
Kareem Jackson
JJ Watt
Mercilus
Hopkins

--Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt were all unpopular picks at the time. No GM in the NFL has a better record in the 1st round the past 6 years. If you disagree, let's see the list (also, of note, 3 picks were in the 20s, and Watt was the highest selection at 11)

HJam72

Hall of Fame
If I were in charge of any other team, I don't think I'd have any interest in giving what it took to get that #1 pick. I don't think the trade is going to happen, unless we are stupid enough to practically give it away.

Texian

Hall of Fame
but, at least you can have confidence that he will get the 1st round right!:

His record is stellar in the first round (particularly if you assume he learned from the mistake made in his first draft: 2007-Okoye)

Duane Brown
Brian Cushing
Kareem Jackson
JJ Watt
Mercilus
Hopkins

--Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt were all unpopular picks at the time. No GM in the NFL has a better record in the 1st round the past 6 years. If you disagree, let's see the list (also, of note, 3 picks were in the 20s, and Watt was the highest selection at 11)
Duane Brown = Alex Gibbs
Brian Cushing = Frank Bush
Kareem Jackson = Rick Smith
JJ Watt = Wade Phillips
Mercilus = Wade Phillips
Hopkins = Gary Kubiak

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet

#Texans front office a bit frustrated with Kubiak/coaches (4-10 in last 14). Coaches have too much draft input, keep stars on field too long

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/399592512933101568

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Mack is a hell of a lot safer of a pick than Clowney, that's for sure. I hope this is true, but I bet it is a smoke screen. At this point, I'll be happy to get anyone "but Clowney." Mack looks like a really good player with a low potential bust rate as well unlike Clowney.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Moving the draft back two weeks was just stupid.
I read somewhere that the draft was moved back to more closely align with the mid-point between either the SB or Combine and the start of TC on the NFL calendar. Or maybe it was the start of FA and the new league year. Anywho, the gist was the NFL wanted the draft closer to right in the middle of things. I'll see if I can find a link.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I read somewhere that the draft was moved back to more closely align with the mid-point between either the SB or Combine and the start of TC on the NFL calendar. Or maybe it was the start of FA and the new league year. Anywho, the gist was the NFL wanted the draft closer to right in the middle of things. I'll see if I can find a link.
The draft was moved to May because Radio City Musical Hall was previously booked the normal weekend of draft. The draft conflicted with RCMH's annual Easter show. I heard that Easter show cancelled but it was to late to change the draft.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/03/21/radio-city-scraps-big-budget-rockettes-show-that-was-supposed-to-launch-next-week

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Mack is a hell of a lot safer of a pick than Clowney, that's for sure. I hope this is true, but I bet it is a smoke screen. At this point, I'll be happy to get anyone "but Clowney." Mack looks like a really good player with a low potential bust rate as well unlike Clowney.
I'm not overly enamored with Mack, but I do believe he'll be a better pro than Clowney. I'm not sure there's a lot of separation between Mack and Barr.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Duane Brown = Alex Gibbs
Brian Cushing = Frank Bush
Kareem Jackson = Rick Smith
JJ Watt = Wade Phillips
Mercilus = Wade Phillips
Hopkins = Gary Kubiak

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet

#Texans front office a bit frustrated with Kubiak/coaches (4-10 in last 14). Coaches have too much draft input, keep stars on field too long

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/399592512933101568
Negationism at it's finest. When it's a hit, someone else OBVIOUSLY made the pick. When it's a strike out, the GM obviously made the pick. Funny how all those guys but the GM have been fired. No need to wonder who made those picks.