Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-21-2014   #41
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Texans G.M. prefers Khalil Mack to Jadeveon Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Peter King is a blithering idiot...

Heard about this article by Peter King and who he thinks the Texans should pick #1. Now I know this is his opinion but this has got to be the dumbest opinion by a journalist I have seen yet, aside from hearing that some NFL executive compared Teddy Bridgewater to "Steamin" Willie Beamen, a fictitious football character...

Mack at #1 is extreme but Greg Robinson at #1 is just flat out stupid...IMO

here is the link

Not a Peter King fan by any means but what would be stupid about taking not only the best OT in the entire draft, but also arguably the best athlete?
Old 04-21-2014   #42
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I would prefer Rick Smith not have anything to do with the draft or for that matter the Texans org. 2-14.
but, at least you can have confidence that he will get the 1st round right!:

His record is stellar in the first round (particularly if you assume he learned from the mistake made in his first draft: 2007-Okoye)

Duane Brown
Brian Cushing
Kareem Jackson
JJ Watt
Mercilus
Hopkins

--Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt were all unpopular picks at the time. No GM in the NFL has a better record in the 1st round the past 6 years. If you disagree, let's see the list (also, of note, 3 picks were in the 20s, and Watt was the highest selection at 11)
Old 04-21-2014   #43
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were in charge of any other team, I don't think I'd have any interest in giving what it took to get that #1 pick. I don't think the trade is going to happen, unless we are stupid enough to practically give it away.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #44
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
but, at least you can have confidence that he will get the 1st round right!:

His record is stellar in the first round (particularly if you assume he learned from the mistake made in his first draft: 2007-Okoye)

Duane Brown
Brian Cushing
Kareem Jackson
JJ Watt
Mercilus
Hopkins

--Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt were all unpopular picks at the time. No GM in the NFL has a better record in the 1st round the past 6 years. If you disagree, let's see the list (also, of note, 3 picks were in the 20s, and Watt was the highest selection at 11)
Duane Brown = Alex Gibbs
Brian Cushing = Frank Bush
Kareem Jackson = Rick Smith
JJ Watt = Wade Phillips
Mercilus = Wade Phillips
Hopkins = Gary Kubiak

Ian RapoportVerified account ‏@RapSheet

#Texans front office a bit frustrated with Kubiak/coaches (4-10 in last 14). Coaches have too much draft input, keep stars on field too long

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/399592512933101568
Old 04-21-2014   #45
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Mack is a hell of a lot safer of a pick than Clowney, that's for sure. I hope this is true, but I bet it is a smoke screen. At this point, I'll be happy to get anyone "but Clowney." Mack looks like a really good player with a low potential bust rate as well unlike Clowney.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #46
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Moving the draft back two weeks was just stupid.
I read somewhere that the draft was moved back to more closely align with the mid-point between either the SB or Combine and the start of TC on the NFL calendar. Or maybe it was the start of FA and the new league year. Anywho, the gist was the NFL wanted the draft closer to right in the middle of things. I'll see if I can find a link.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #47
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Mack is a hell of a lot safer of a pick than Clowney, that's for sure.
Based on what? Crap you've read?
Old 04-21-2014   #48
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I read somewhere that the draft was moved back to more closely align with the mid-point between either the SB or Combine and the start of TC on the NFL calendar. Or maybe it was the start of FA and the new league year. Anywho, the gist was the NFL wanted the draft closer to right in the middle of things. I'll see if I can find a link.
The draft was moved to May because Radio City Musical Hall was previously booked the normal weekend of draft. The draft conflicted with RCMH's annual Easter show. I heard that Easter show cancelled but it was to late to change the draft.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/03/21...unch-next-week
Old 04-21-2014   #49
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mack is a hell of a lot safer of a pick than Clowney, that's for sure. I hope this is true, but I bet it is a smoke screen. At this point, I'll be happy to get anyone "but Clowney." Mack looks like a really good player with a low potential bust rate as well unlike Clowney.
I'm not overly enamored with Mack, but I do believe he'll be a better pro than Clowney. I'm not sure there's a lot of separation between Mack and Barr.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #50
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Duane Brown = Alex Gibbs
JJ Watt = Wade Phillips
Mercilus = Wade Phillips
Hopkins = Gary Kubiak

#Texans front office a bit frustrated with Kubiak/coaches (4-10 in last 14). Coaches have too much draft input, keep stars on field too long

Negationism at it's finest. When it's a hit, someone else OBVIOUSLY made the pick. When it's a strike out, the GM obviously made the pick. Funny how all those guys but the GM have been fired. No need to wonder who made those picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #51
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Negationism at it's finest. When it's a hit, someone else OBVIOUSLY made the pick. When it's a strike out, the GM obviously made the pick. Funny how all those guys but the GM have been fired. No need to wonder who made those picks.
How does that explain that the Houston Texans front office was at odds with coaches having to much say in the draft.

I think the reason Rick Smith wasn't fired is because he didn't have a lot of say in the selection of draft picks. It works both ways, Rick wasn't responsible for Montgomery. And you can't ignore the rumors, Kubiak promised Gibbs the first pick to become the assitant head coach and full responsibilty for the running game. Frank Bush commenting that he new in the Fall before the draft that if Cushing was available, that Cush would be their draft pick and Bob McNair promising Wade Phillips the next two 1st RD picks to become the Texans DC. I think that Rick Smith was Gary Kubiak and Bob McNair's make it happen guy and I think the same situation is true, now with O'Brien and McNair.
Old 04-21-2014   #52
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm not overly enamored with Mack, but I do believe he'll be a better pro than Clowney. I'm not sure there's a lot of separation between Mack and Barr.
Well they are all a roll of the dice. We really never know what guys in the top ten will end up being franchise position players. SO many of them are busts. If I thought Clowney would be the next Demarcus Ware, I'd want him over everyone. He has way to many character issues for me to want this team to even touch him. Mack seems like a cornerstone LB though that could help this team right away, and I don't have any character concerns about him.

Another thing that people totally forget about Clowney is that we would only have him for this first contract. Once we re-sign Watt we won't have enough money to pay to big DE's if Clowney is pretty good. He'd be gone after his first contract most likely.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #53
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

If true, I'm on board. Mack is my favorite player in this draft and fills a huge need. Duet!
Old 04-21-2014   #54
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well they are all a roll of the dice. We really never know what guys in the top ten will end up being franchise position players. SO many of them are busts. If I thought Clowney would be the next Demarcus Ware, I'd want him over everyone. He has way to many character issues for me to want this team to even touch him. Mack seems like a cornerstone LB though that could help this team right away, and I don't have any character concerns about him.

Another thing that people totally forget about Clowney is that we would only have him for this first contract. Once we re-sign Watt we won't have enough money to pay to big DE's if Clowney is pretty good. He'd be gone after his first contract most likely.
I think if people took the time to get to know Jeremiah Attaochu, they would prefer Attaochu in RD 2 over to Clowney or Mack in RD 1.
Old 04-22-2014   #55
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Duane Brown = Alex Gibbs
JJ Watt = Wade Phillips
Mercilus = Wade Phillips
Hopkins = Gary Kubiak

Yes, like every other GM in the NFL, Rick Smith collects information from coaches and scouts before making each selection. And, like every draft pick in every round by every NFL team- one of the coaches that lobbied hard for the eventual pick is quite pleased. By the way, many others are disappointed. When Alex Gibb was lobbying for Duane Brown (I'm taking your word for it), don't you think that scouts and position coaches on defense were in Rick's ear about other players? In 2009, did everyone get silent for Frank Bush? In 2010, all of a sudden Rick Smith made a pick in a vacuum?

I remember an interview with Jimmy Johnson about the Cowboys' drafts. He discussed the importance of knowing his assistant coaches... He listed his assistants and described how he factored each man's attitudes/perspective into the decison-making process... He concluded with, "... and Butch Davis loved everybody (laughing)." I can't find it on youtube... However, it is the decision-making that makes a GM more than his scouting ability. The GM is given a mountain of information from many different sources- each with different self-interests, perspectives, philosophies- and the GM is accountable and expected to make the best set of decisions by sifting and prioritizing through all of that information.
Old 04-22-2014   #56
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think if people took the time to get to know Jeremiah Attaochu, they would prefer Attaochu in RD 2 over to Clowney or Mack in RD 1.
I like Attaochu a lot but I would prefer Mack because I think he is a more explosive athlete and far more versatile.

But passing on Clowney/Mack in the 1st and picking up Attaochu in the 2nd would be just fine with me, depending on who that first pick is.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #57
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Yes, like every other GM in the NFL, Rick Smith collects information from coaches and scouts before making each selection. And, like every draft pick in every round by every NFL team- one of the coaches that lobbied hard for the eventual pick is quite pleased. By the way, many others are disappointed. When Alex Gibb was lobbying for Duane Brown (I'm taking your word for it), don't you think that scouts and position coaches on defense were in Rick's ear about other players? In 2009, did everyone get silent for Frank Bush? In 2010, all of a sudden Rick Smith made a pick in a vacuum?

I remember an interview with Jimmy Johnson about the Cowboys' drafts. He discussed the importance of knowing his assistant coaches... He listed his assistants and described how he factored each man's attitudes/perspective into the decison-making process... He concluded with, "... and Butch Davis loved everybody (laughing)." I can't find it on youtube... However, it is the decision-making that makes a GM more than his scouting ability. The GM is given a mountain of information from many different sources- each with different self-interests, perspectives, philosophies- and the GM is accountable and expected to make the best set of decisions by sifting and prioritizing through all of that information.
Kubiak had final say on the 53 man roster and was very Liberal with allowing coaches their picks. That's the way it was done in Denver under Shanahan and Smith was doing in Denver what he's doing in Houston. Kubiak was the director of the draft, Smith was the operator. If you watched the interviews with coaches after draft picks were made it wasn't difficult to discern how much the coaches were involved in the final decisions of the draft picks. The only two times that I know that Kubiak's final say on the 53 man roster was breached was when McNair promised Wade the next two 1st RD picks to intice him to be the next DC.

This goes hand in hand with reports that the front office was complaining to Ian Rappoport of NFLN that coaches had to much say and input in to the draft process. That report makes absolutely no sense if Smith was responsible for all the draft picks.

and Jimmy Johnson had a degree in Psychology.

Last edited by Texian; 04-22-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #58
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I like Attaochu a lot but I would prefer Mack because I think he is a more explosive athlete and far more versatile.

But passing on Clowney/Mack in the 1st and picking up Attaochu in the 2nd would be just fine with me, depending on who that first pick is.
I have only watched Mack in 2 games and I saw nothing that really got me excited. In those games he was easily blocked by the TE and to often taken out of the play. There must be better tape out there for so many to have him so high. However I saw nothing at all that suggest he's anything like Von Miller.
Old 04-22-2014   #59
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The versatility for Mack to play anywhere in our defensive scheme makes him well worth the 1st overall. Attoachu is a player, I don't mind the selection in the second but we have the worst OLB core in football, and Brooks Reed will not magically stop sucking at ILB. Why not have a guy that can effectively play 4 different positions of need that is by far the BPA in our biggest hole?
Old 04-22-2014   #60
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only two times that I know that Kubiak's final say on the 53 man roster was breached was when McNair promised Wade the next two 1st RD picks to intice him to be the next DC.

link?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read