Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Doppelmock Version 8

I have been super busy and just have not been able to dedicate as much time as I have in the past in regards to the mocks and draft process. Thus I threw together a quick mock. Hope it makes sense.

1. JaDaveon Clowney, 6'5, 266lbs, OLB South Carolina
At 6'5 266lbs, Clowney slots into the OLB spot in the new Texans 3-4. However, look for the Texans to play a ton of nickle, which means the Texans would need to play a 4-3. In that formation Watt would be on one side and Clowney on the other.

2. Teddy Bridgewater,6'2, 214lbs, QB Louisville
Hard to imagine, but Teddy is sliding. Maybe I am believing the lies and smokescreens, but there is a real possibility he falls completely out of the first round. I am hearing that some teams have Manziel, Bortles, Carr, and Garrapolo ahead of Bridgewater. If he is here, I'll grab him.

3. Justin Ellis, 6'1, 334lbs, DL, Louisiana Tech
I don't think its a secret the team needs DL help. Jones is a very versatile player. He can slot in as a NT in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. In addition, he can play as a 4-3 DT. Adds a lot of versatility along the line.

4. DaQuan Jones, 6'4, 322 lbs DL, Penn State
I know I just grabbed a NT, but I am going to take another one. It won't happen to begin the year, but one thing I advocated was the use of 2 NTs on the DL with Watt. Having 2 big athletic guys would force the D to use 4-5 offensive players on those DL thus freeing up Watt. Thats the point behind this pick. Like Ellis, Jones also can play either DE or NT in a 3-4 or DT in a 4-3. In time, can you imagine a 4-3 DL in which you have Watt on one side, Clowney on the other, Jones on the inside, and Ellis right next to him? Scary. Plus, he is a PSU guy and O'Brien may want a couple of his former guys as players on the team.

4.Charles Sims, 6'0, 214lbs, RB, West Virginia
A versatile back who can run, catch, and block. Has good speed as well. With Foster coming off back surgery and fumble/injury prone Andre Brown as the backup, the Texans need someone a bit more reliable to tote the rock.

5.Andre Hal, 5'10, 188lbs, CB, Vanderbilt
A team that plans to spend a fair amount of time in Nickle need lots of CBs. Hal would be a good option. He had 49 tackles, 6.5 tackles for a loss, 3 interceptions and 15 pass deflections in 2013. In 2012 he had 48 tackles, 14 pass deflections and 2 interceptions. He will be on special teams and backup CB to start. Can also compete as the nickle corner since that may be a wide open competition.

6. Andrew Norwell, 6'6, 319lbs, OT/G, Ohio State
He is a good run blocker and pass protector. The key is that he is reliable on both fronts. He is a super versatile OL that would be great to have. He would compete for the RT spot with Brennan Williams and Derek Newton. At Ohio State he played RT, LG, and LT(when Mike Adams was suspended.) His best spot is likely RT and that's where I would have him compete. At worst he is a versatile depth player. At best, your new RT.

6.Caleb Lavey, 6'3, 240lbs, ILB, Oklahoma State
A nice sleeper ILB prospect the Texans could surely use. He could be depth, special teams, or probably a starter considering the injuries to the ILB the last couple of years.

7.DeVonte Holloman,6'2 241lbs, S/OLB, South Carolina,
A very interesting prospect. If he could drop about 10 lbs, he would be an interesting player. In nickle packages he could be deployed as an extra DB playing right behind the two ILBs. He is big enough to take on the TEs. An interesting prospect to say the least. If that doesn't work out, he would be great depth at ILB.

7. Jalen Saunders, 5'9, 165lbs, WR, Oklahoma
Meet Mr. Irrelevant. O'Brien needs a speedy slot receiver and here he is. Sure, he needs to put on some weight, but even with another 10lbs of muscle he will be fast.

If we get those first two picks I almost don`t care who else we pick. That would be a huge win. But I still don`t believe Bridgewater will get past the Browns #24.

Nice mock though.

If we get those first two picks I almost don`t care who else we pick. That would be a huge win. But I still don`t believe Bridgewater will get past the Browns #24.

Nice mock though.

Yep, it has a high probability of becoming Aundray Bruce and Geno Smith.

I love it. Everything in there has at least a legitimate chance of happening except for Sims in the 4th, IMO. That kid is severely underrated. I'm about 99.9% sure he is a 2nd round pick.

I like most of your players picked, but I don't care what the so called draft experts say there's no way TB falls to #33.

Back