Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Surprise, surprise... McClain Mock

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Johnny McClain's Mock 2.0
1. Houston: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M.
2. St. Louis: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina.
3. Jacksonville: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida.
4. Cleveland: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson.
5. Oakland: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M.
6. Atlanta: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn.
7. Tampa Bay: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M.
8. Minnesota: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville.

Trap_Star

SiteContributor
lol 3.0 it will be Clowney....that way he can always go back and say "at one point I had ___________ mocked to the Texans, so I'm not surprised"

_King_

McClain has said he has no clue who the pick will be and he will do different mocks with us taking different guys. He's admitted he's spit balling.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
lol 3.0 it will be Clowney....that way he can always go back and say "at one point I had ___________ mocked to the Texans, so I'm not surprised"
That's what they all do. That's why I pay more attention to people's rankings than their mocks. I know what our needs are, all I am interested in is the difference in opinion on the rankings of the prospects.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
McClain has said...he will do different mocks with us taking different guys.
My bad on the title, then. Problem is his stuff gets picked up nationally and turned into a big story... the he's on every football show known to man supporting his "spitballing" as truth.

_King_

My bad on the title, then. Problem is his stuff gets picked up nationally and turned into a big story... the he's on every football show known to man supporting his "spitballing" as truth.
Wasn't calling you or your title out at all.

Just providing some additional info. McClain said he's going to do different mocks with us taking each one of the top guys because he has no idea who we'll take and at this point he doesn't think the Texans are 100% sure either.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Wasn't calling you or your title out at all.
Got that, was just owning my mistake. :)

McClain said... he has no idea who we'll take and at this point he doesn't think the Texans are 100% sure either.
I've heard him multiple times on t.v. and radio shows around the country stating unequivocally the Texans will draft a QB at 1-1... without the qualifier you & I have heard from him on 610 locally. He makes himself the story, and isn't honest in the way he presents imo.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Got that, was just owning my mistake. :)

I've heard him multiple times on t.v. and radio shows around the country stating unequivocally the Texans will draft a QB at 1-1... without the qualifier you & I have heard from him on 610 locally. He makes himself the story, and isn't honest in the way he presents imo.
Trust me when I say you are not the only one who feels this way. :handshake:

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
I would love to see pundits (and using that term loosely with McClain because even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while) just produce ONE mock draft 2 weeks before the official draft. Make a list and stick with it. Anyone can do several mock drafts then think they're a genius when they see their pick go first.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Trust me when I say you are not the only one who feels this way. :handshake:
And McClain's mocking Manziel to the Texans is at the top of the NFL AM show on NFLN.

Why do 3 or 4 "I don't know" hometown paper mocks for the 1st overall pick, except to raise the author's profile? Do local media guys get paid appearance fees for radio and television???

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I would love to see pundits (and using that term loosely with McClain because even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while) just produce ONE mock draft 2 weeks before the official draft. Make a list and stick with it. Anyone can do several mock drafts then think they're a genius when they see their pick go first.
Largely, the same reason that entertainment sections are always producing top 10 lists on everything, readers like them. The guys the produce and most of the people that read know that all of these are pretty meaningless, but the format is perfectly made for people to agree disagree and post in the comment section.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
And McClain's mocking Manziel to the Texans is at the top of the NFL AM show on NFLN.

Why do 3 or 4 "I don't know" hometown paper mocks for the 1st overall pick, except to raise the author's profile? Do local media guys get paid appearance fees for radio and television???
Normally, for a short segment (less than 10 minutes)they are not paid. If they have some weekly or regular segment that is normally paid.

Vinny

shiny happy fan

for a football scribe this is one of those times where you are smart to saturate your market and raise your profile. McClain is smart to abuse his status even though us old timers find it redundant and put less and less weight on it each year.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
He actually said on the radio just that , he would have a different guy at the top over the next few weeks so he could say "I had it right." Tho the statement was about the quarterbacks.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Yes.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I think the national guys figured out people love it when they talk about Johnny Manziel, so they're going to talk about him regardless. McClain just gave them another excuse.