Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2014   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2014 roster set better or...?

We know the roster now, any opinions changed? We have definitely strengthened middle for defense and I am enthusiastic about Manning coming back at safety.
Old 08-31-2014   #2
banned1976
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 banned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 roster set better or...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We know the roster now, any opinions changed? We have definitely strengthened middle for defense and I am enthusiastic about Manning coming back at safety.
No, but I'd like to see Tyson Clabo gone and add another DL. Nix worries me and I'm not convinced they have an answer for losing Antonio Smith. I like Jamison over Crick and I hope Pagan can surprise.
banned1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

There are just too many unknowns about what our offense is really going to look like. And our defense, for that matter.

OB has played it close to the vest, not showing us anything other than glimpses.

Right now... I think I like this roster better than what we started off with last year. I think we're better on the back end of the defense and in the middle. On the offensive side, we are essentially the same starting group except at QB and FB.

I'm feeling better about this draft than I was last year's draft.

With the apparent weakness of our schedule, this might not be too crappy of a year. Or I might have just jinxed everything.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014   #4
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I'm excited about Manning coming back also. I think our d-line is better than I originally thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned1976 View Post
No, but I'd like to see Tyson Clabo gone and add another DL. Nix worries me and I'm not convinced they have an answer for losing Antonio Smith. I like Jamison over Crick and I hope Pagan can surprise.
I'm with you on Clabo, but I think Nix will be fine once he gets into playing shape. I think Crick is a better player than Jamison and I think Pagan will develop into a solid player.
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014   #5
banned1976
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 banned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respectedbanned1976 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
There are just too many unknowns about what our offense is really going to look like. And our defense, for that matter.

OB has played it close to the vest, not showing us anything other than glimpses.

Right now... I think I like this roster better than what we started off with last year. I think we're better on the back end of the defense and in the middle. On the offensive side, we are essentially the same starting group except at QB and FB.

I'm feeling better about this draft than I was last year's draft.

With the apparent weakness of our schedule, this might not be too crappy of a year. Or I might have just jinxed everything.

It won't be a crappy year. Sometimes it won't be fun to watch when the QB's are struggling...which they will. But this team will be physical and fast on defense and that will be fun to watch.
Old 09-01-2014   #6
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I will say this, at this point we have more "potential" depth/future starter talent than i have seen in recent years.

In the past i saw a lot of scrubs on the roster and couldn't ever figure out why, but now it seems we have a lot of upside guys with tons of talent.

Personally with the moves yesterday i feel as good about this roster as i have in a while. How it translates to success on the field is yet to be seen though.
Old 09-01-2014   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Different is the word I would use...not enough data to make a better/worse call.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2014   #8
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

The season is going to start out slow, but don't lose heart. It's just the new personnel learning the system. After a few games we will level out into a medium grade team.
Old 09-01-2014   #9
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36629 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

huge turnover in coaching staff
huge turnover in roster
huge change in scheme
easier schedule
it will be a wash IMO

they will be anywhere between 2-14 and 6-10

If fitz gets hurt could be between 0-16 and 4-12
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
huge turnover in coaching staff
huge turnover in roster
huge change in scheme
easier schedule
it will be a wash IMO
Over the past 2 seasons, 14 teams brought in a new staff. 9 of those teams finished with a better record the following season. 4 of those teams made the playoffs in the first season with a new head coach. That's not a wash. New staff and easier schedule is a plus + plus.
Old 09-01-2014   #11
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

New system, new attitude and 10 rookies! When you look at this team, there is a ton of youth with a blend of some great vets. I believe we can win somewhere between 6-9 games given the talent level and schedule we have. Luck with injuries will play a huge role in getting there. Fitz is one of those QBs that is very streaky, if he can put together a hot streak and minimize his downside, we could get to .500 or slightly above.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still thinking we'll have between 6 to 9 wins this year, depending on injuries.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a bit disappointed in the low number of waiver wire claims we submitted after the cut to 53. I expected closer to 10. I think we missed some opportunities there.

This roster is thin at so many positions, still. We've got a backup starting at RT, no T depth, we don't have quality G depth and we have an aging C. We don't have a true Move TE on the roster. I don't think we have a true SlotWR in the Welker mold -- short area quickness & toughness. What does the WR room look like if AJ goes down? QB room now has ~two guys who can execute most of this offense, but not sure we have the CEO of the organization in there, yet.

On defense I'm concerned about us up the middle this year. Powe looked good and awful at different times. I hope we resign Ricardo Mathews. Cushing is a ? and we have backups starting next to him. Our Safety group is troubling. Crick I think needs to be upgraded, Reed probably as well. We need better CB depth.

Overall team speed is lacking, imo. I want to see smarter play on both sides of the ball. 12 penalties for 125 yards (pre-rules fiasco) can't happen. Missed assignments cost points. Lazy minds can't be retained.

I think OB was handcuffed by not getting any on the field time with his veterans before the draft... hell, he saw more of draft prospects than he could his own players. But, understanding that, I liked our draft. Having a full season and off-season under his belt will help him make better informed decisions. I expect we'll have a much deeper/smarter/more-optimal roster for the schemes we're running on both sides of the ball at this time next year.

If this group can get 8 wins it'll be a feat. As I've said before, I think we're one key injury away from a top 10 pick in 2015. And we've got key players who have one foot on IR and the other on a banana peel.

Re-reading the above it sounds pretty depressing , but I'm actually very optimistic about where the Texans are headed. Just trying to be realistic at the same time.

Old 09-01-2014   #14
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21559 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I have more confidence in the current regime to identify talent. Now it remains to be seen if they can develop it and make the necessary decisions to get the franchise back on track.
Old 09-01-2014   #15
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2723 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

• If we have significant injuries or injuries to key personnell, I can see the 6 win sceanario. i think that's a worst case.
  • If we get what we expect from Fitz (-MAGIC over -TRAGIC) and the team stays relatively healthy I see 7-9 wins.
  • If we get a good start from Fitz, a strong finish from Mallet, and the defense brings pain... I see 8-10 wins.
  • If O'Brien surprises us again and turns out to be all that we could hope for and helps the Texans be the kind of team the fans always wanted, I see the Colts getting a wild card and feeling LUCK-y about it.

So, I'm going to narrow it down to 6-12 wins
Old 09-01-2014   #16
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn View Post
  • If we have significant injuries or injuries to key personnell, I can see the 6 win sceanario. i think that's a worst case.
  • If we get what we expect from Fitz and the team stays relatively healthy I see 7-9 wins.
  • If we get a good start from Fitz, a strong finish from Mallet, and the defense brings pain... I see 8-10 wins.
  • If O'Brien surprises us again and turns out to be all that we could hope for and helps the Texans be the kind of team the fans always wanted, I see the Colts getting a wild card and feeling LUCK-y about it.
So between 6 and 15 wins. We throw a game because we have the #1 seed locked up.

DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #17
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm a bit disappointed in the low number of waiver wire claims we submitted after the cut to 53. I expected closer to 10. I think we missed some opportunities there.

This roster is thin at so many positions, still. We've got a backup starting at RT, no T depth, we don't have quality G depth and we have an aging C. We don't have a true Move TE on the roster. I don't think we have a true SlotWR in the Welker mold -- short area quickness & toughness. What does the WR room look like if AJ goes down? QB room now has ~two guys who can execute most of this offense, but not sure we have the CEO of the organization in there, yet.

On defense I'm concerned about us up the middle this year. Powe looked good and awful at different times. I hope we resign Ricardo Mathews. Cushing is a ? and we have backups starting next to him. Our Safety group is troubling. Crick I think needs to be upgraded, Reed probably as well. We need better CB depth.

Overall team speed is lacking, imo. I want to see smarter play on both sides of the ball. 12 penalties for 125 yards (pre-rules fiasco) can't happen. Missed assignments cost points. Lazy minds can't be retained.

I think OB was handcuffed by not getting any on the field time with his veterans before the draft... hell, he saw more of draft prospects than he could his own players. But, understanding that, I liked our draft. Having a full season and off-season under his belt will help him make better informed decisions. I expect we'll have a much deeper/smarter/more-optimal roster for the schemes we're running on both sides of the ball at this time next year.

If this group can get 8 wins it'll be a feat. As I've said before, I think we're one key injury away from a top 10 pick in 2015. And we've got key players who have one foot on IR and the other on a banana peel.

Re-reading the above it sounds pretty depressing , but I'm actually very optimistic about where the Texans are headed. Just trying to be realistic at the same time.

OHHHH so that's what optimism looks like
Old 09-01-2014   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Not to pat myself on the back but let me pat myself on the back and say I called 2-3 waiver wire adds before the cut-down. That wasn't a big surprise to me. I just didn't see where we were going to be able to make that many changes to our roster based on what I expected to get cut.

Granted, I expected to cut Dent and get another ILB out of the deal, but c'est la vie.

At the end of last season, I made my prediction that we'd go about 6 wins this next season but I also said that my prediction would change as the season got closer and I started drinking the kool-aid. Because. I'm an optimist. Can't help it.

After seeing glimpses of what this defense could do, my estimation has creeped up to the 6-8 range. And with this Mallett move... a move I'm actually excited about... I've found myself letting it creep up to 9 and possibly fighting for the division crown or a playoff berth.

So, I figure by this point, I can pretty much claim to be right no matter how we end up.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #19
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2723 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
So between 6 and 15 wins. We throw a game because we have the #1 seed locked up.

I'm not as small as I used to be. Didn't wanta go out too far on a limb

It'll be great to win a SB someday, but I don't imagine we are there yet. I think this could be a fun year, though. If football was only about winning it wouldn't be this popular. There's excitement in getting there.
Old 09-01-2014   #20
bayoudreamn
Veteran

I get the feeling that Playoffs is trying his best to temper his excitement in the hope any possible let down doesn't create such a crash. Good strategy, but it never works for me.....so I just try to be reasonable and let the emotion go where it goes.

The record projections aren't my achilles heel this year anyway, I'm quite certain I'll miss on those. It's all the unknowns. Injuries, offensive look, defensive look, special teams surprise?, will all the adjustments in camp work? Even though I agree with what they did holding out starters, it's nerve wracking.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read