Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is it time to part ways with Foster?
Yes 36 30.51%
No 82 69.49%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2014   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should foster be next to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just imagine if we fix our OL issues.
Then I think we'd be looking at the possibility of seeing a young QB flourish in a very supportive environment. Granted most of us wouldn't recognize what we were seeing since that would be damn near unprecedented for any Houston football team but hey, it sure would be nice to see it happen here for a change.

Seems like we get our young QB's when there's nothing there for them to work with or to protect them. Pastorini, Carr, it's the same situation. You can't see what you got because he's running for his life and has no running game. Pastorinis youth was wasted and Carr's shortcomings hid far too long on that barren expansion team. Even Moon came into a team that was years from coming together. The next Houston QB would look a lot better with time to throw and a guy to hand the ball of to who was a legitimate threat to break one off.
Old 03-31-2014   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Then I think we'd be looking at the possibility of seeing a young QB flourish in a very supportive environment. Granted most of us wouldn't recognize what we were seeing since that would be damn near unprecedented for any Houston football team but hey, it sure would be nice to see it happen here for a change.

Seems like we get our young QB's when there's nothing there for them to work with or to protect them. Pastorini, Carr, it's the same situation. You can't see what you got because he's running for his life and has no running game. Pastorinis youth was wasted and Carr's shortcomings hid far too long on that barren expansion team. Even Moon came into a team that was years from coming together. The next Houston QB would look a lot better with time to throw and a guy to hand the ball of to who was a legitimate threat to break one off.
Right. I think a lot of people don't give Schaub his due. The line looked a lot better with him behind it, because he know how to work a 3 & 5 step drop. I might recall one time that he's been able to stand in a pocket & survey the field without having to use play action or a boot.
Old 03-31-2014   #23
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

No...

I don't think he's going to be the guy he was a couple years ago, but I think he's at least solid at this point in his career. Likely going to have a rookie QB, so you want a reliable back that also understands pass protection. Arian will still be a good dump off option.

I expect OB to use Arian more wisely than Kubiak did as well. He's talked about having different types of RB's. He called Arian an every down back, but I think he'd like to use a scat back and bruiser back type as well...depending on various factors.

But overall, Arian should at least be here one more year. IMO.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #24
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Better a year to early than a year to late...
Old 03-31-2014   #25
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 31617 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

As many have said, his trade value is low because of the contract, and there's almost no cap saving. We should spend a mid-late pick on trying to find his long term replacement and pick up a couple of UDFAs.

There's still a decent chance he's got a bit left in the tank and a smaller (but still significant) chance that he can come back strong.

Keep.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #26
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think this is the good time for that.

I don't think he's going to be what he was in the past but he should still give us a few good games.

BUT.

When you look at the Patriot model for using RBs, they tend to platoon the position (although they had some pretty good success with Corey Dillon as the feature back, iirc). I'm expecting them to move to that 2-3 back rotation that NE uses. So Foster's career could be extended because he'll be used more in rotation and situationally. I was a little surprised we didn't go after Blount.
I don't think that is just a NE thing now. A lot of teams seem to go with 3 mid level guys that can provide some decent numbers but don't break the bank. In the current NFL I'd rather have 3 1.5-2 million/year guys than a $5 million guy and 2 guys at the league minimum.
Old 03-31-2014   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I don't think that is just a NE thing now. A lot of teams seem to go with 3 mid level guys that can provide some decent numbers but don't break the bank. In the current NFL I'd rather have 3 1.5-2 million/year guys than a $5 million guy and 2 guys at the league minimum.
I brought up NE because of the O'Brien connection to NE.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2014   #28
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure why not I was on they Lets d a complete 100% Purge along with the GM but hey .... and it looks like there doing that but on a much slower pace we shall see ..???

its not like we are going any where dis year
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #29
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1978 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I know foster has a lot off supporters here but when you look at his mileage, contract, injury history and current off field issues it should be considered. I believe his value will only decline from this point forward. IMO we should seeing what we can get in return for him in a trade.

There should be some very good backs available late in this draft.
I would let him go. Hollywood is calling.
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #30
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm for keeping Foster for another year and seeing how he does. I have high hopes that the new S&C team will do wonders with the team, as a whole, and Foster in particular.

It's going to be interesting to see OB's approach as far as schemes go. All of this talk of different schemes for different teams has me wondering how the final roster will look and what OB covets at different positions. A one cut and go RB fits just about any scheme. I doubt any coach has every wanted a "dance around in the backfield and see what happens" RB that wasn't named Barry Sanders or maybe Chris Johnson.

I would think the OL would be the biggest difference compared to Kubiak's scheme.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #31
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is negligible cap savings to trading him. He is coming off an injury and hasn't had an opportunity to show he has recovered. Combine that with the Texans trying to trade him and his value will be squat. Let him play next year and then re-ask the question.
This. We don't have a better option either. I think that he'll be in a position where he'll know that he has to work hard next year and produce. New coach, new situation. I think he will probably be cut after next season though. Even with a good season he likely won't be worth the contract.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #32
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
This. We don't have a better option either. I think that he'll be in a position where he'll know that he has to work hard next year and produce. New coach, new situation. I think he will probably be cut after next season though. Even with a good season he likely won't be worth the contract.
As long as he produces in 2014, who cares?
Old 03-31-2014   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm for keeping Foster for another year and seeing how he does. I have high hopes that the new S&C team will do wonders with the team, as a whole, and Foster in particular.

It's going to be interesting to see OB's approach as far as schemes go. All of this talk of different schemes for different teams has me wondering how the final roster will look and what OB covets at different positions. A one cut and go RB fits just about any scheme. I doubt any coach has every wanted a "dance around in the backfield and see what happens" RB that wasn't named Barry Sanders or maybe Chris Johnson.

I would think the OL would be the biggest difference compared to Kubiak's scheme.
I don't expect there to be too many OL changes. The main thing is solving the question of RT and deciding what they want to do at LG. I think the rest of it will be stable.

OB's offense will employ a lot of zone based schemes when it comes to blocking. Although he'll pepper in some more power and trapping and whatnot, I think he'll work with the pieces that we've got.

The defensive front 7, otoh...
Old 03-31-2014   #34
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't expect there to be too many OL changes. The main thing is solving the question of RT and deciding what they want to do at LG. I think the rest of it will be stable.

OB's offense will employ a lot of zone based schemes when it comes to blocking. Although he'll pepper in some more power and trapping and whatnot, I think he'll work with the pieces that we've got.

The defensive front 7, otoh...
How do you come to these decisions?
Old 03-31-2014   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How do you come to these decisions?
I'm not sure I understand the question.

But...

I don't expect there to be any changes at LT, C, or RG. Brown, Myers, and Brooks are solid pieces there.

The biggest question is Quessenberry. OB has specifically mentioned him as someone his line coach has been looking forward to work with. I am one of the people who has a really high expectation for Q. Best case, I think he becomes our RT and solves that problem for years and worst case, I think he becomes a backup to LG, RG, and RT. Well. Actually. Worst case is he doesn't get healthy.

If we take Robinson or Matthews, I expect them to become the RT and Q to be our LG. However, this is a draft rich in guards. So we could nab a guard later in the draft to go in at LG.
Old 03-31-2014   #36
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly wouldn't want to see him go but I'm sure no one in philly wanted jackson gone

Maybe you let him go if you don't want to have that kind of money invested in the running back position

Kubiak was a players coach.. we will have to wait and see if foster is gonna have the right kind of work ethic for OB
Old 03-31-2014   #37
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not sure it was by you, maybe by many, but I swear I read this same exact thing before in this forum
Old 03-31-2014   #38
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Not sure it was by you, maybe by many, but I swear I read this same exact thing before in this forum
From what I heard, the S&C coaches under Casserly & Capers were old style, bodybuilding based weight training. Very idiotic chrome and tone kinda stuff.

Kubiak and Smith kept those guys for the first few years. THEN they changed to what was said to be a more free-weight based approach. And I'm all for that. I prefer a free weight approach based on simulating the things they need to strengthen to perform the functions of their positions as well as pre-hab lifts to correct various imbalances, to work on specific weaknesses, and to work on general physical preparedness (GPP).

Now... these guys are coming in and saying that they're the free-weight based approach and the LAST guys weren't.

I don't know what to think anymore.
Old 04-01-2014   #39
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Better a year to early than a year to late...
I appears kubiakeyetus is running rampant around here.
Old 04-01-2014   #40
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I also read the the exact same thing every year. There are "many" who overplay the significance of the S & C coaches. Especially at finger-pointing time. It's the player himself that decides how dedicated he is in getting in shape.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read