Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Manning released

A quick google shows a lot of new stories coming out with this.

Sources including Schefter.

Bummer, I had high hopes for the Manning signing.

According g to 610 radio manning is gone. Still have doubt this is a rebuilding year?

New head coach with a new coaching staff = rebuilding. It was settled for me a long time ago. But it's not a point worth arguing about unless you want to argue about Bob McNohair's ridiculous little speeches.

New head coach with a new coaching staff = rebuilding. It was settled for me a long time ago. But it's not a point worth arguing about unless you want to argue about Bob McNohair's ridiculous little speeches.

Well don't forget the 06 Saints that completely turned over the roster and went deep into the playoffs.

Now they did have Brees leading but I don't think it will take that long to turn it around..

At least I hope not...

I hope....

We'll be fine. Manning was a baller but he was hurt an awful lot. When your best guys are always injured you don't have any "best guys". We see that all the time with Cushing and Manning was no Cushing. He was an asset but he wasn't that kind of difference maker.

Makes sense to me that it's time to move on.

We'll be fine. Manning was a baller but he was hurt an awful lot. When your best guys are always injured you don't have any "best guys". We see that all the time with Cushing and Manning was no Cushing. He was an asset but he wasn't that kind of difference maker.

Makes sense to me that it's time to move on.

^^^^ This! Looks like we are trying to get younger as well as improve cap space

first time in texans history it seems we're really trying to address the safety position.. 2 new young guys at the position in less than a month and a 2nd round pick from last year will all be competing for time next year...

Apparently Manning was asked last week to take a pay cut, and he refused thus the Texans released him.

Not much more to say. Good luck. Good but not great player who had some injury issues. I would have liked to have kept him, but I can see why they wanted him to take a cut in pay. Clemons can do a decent job replacing him I think.

I've said all along this is a rebuild. Anyone that thinks otherwise is not living in reality.

first time in texans history it seems we're really trying to address the safety position.. 2 new young guys at the position in less than a month and a 2nd round pick from last year will all be competing for time next year...

Two new young players?

Not a fan of leaving the safety position to a new acquisition and two young guys but eh, at least we clear some money.

Apparently Manning was asked last week to take a pay cut, and he refused thus the Texans released him.

Not much more to say. Good luck. Good but not great player who had some injury issues. I would have liked to have kept him, but I can see why they wanted him to take a cut in pay. Clemons can do a decent job replacing him I think.

I've said all along this is a rebuild. Anyone that thinks otherwise is not living in reality.

I haven't come to terms with it just yet. In other threads, I suggested we cut OD & DMann to free up cap space, but that was arguing with people saying we needed the money to sign "starters"

I understand their histories, but when they were healthy they both earned their money, I thought. The only reason to cut them, is if you plan on signing difference makers.

We already had enough money to fill out the roster with roll players, vet minimum guys, our draft picks & a few UDFAs... most of the "starters" are already signed by other teams. I can't imagine the Texans are clearing cap space to roll into next season when we gained $17M by trading Schaub, the cap goes up $10M due to the Thursday night contracts, & the new TV deal should give us another bump.

Makes you wonder if something is going on down on Kirby.

I haven't come to terms with it just yet. In other threads, I suggested we cut OD & DMann to free up cap space, but that was arguing with people saying we needed the money to sign "starters"

I understand their histories, but when they were healthy they both earned their money, I thought. The only reason to cut them, is if you plan on signing difference makers.

We already had enough money to fill out the roster with roll players, vet minimum guys, our draft picks & a few UDFAs... most of the "starters" are already signed by other teams. I can't imagine the Texans are clearing cap space to roll into next season when we gained $17M by trading Schaub, the cap goes up $10M due to the Thursday night contracts, & the new TV deal should give us another bump.

Makes you wonder if something is going on down on Kirby.

Something as in status quo?

Clemons 16 games started last two years. Manning 13 missed games in last 3 years. We got younger at the position, at a third of the price Manning was getting paid.

I am enjoying the hard nose approach the front office is taking.

The way Texans operates recently reminds me of how Patriots FO negotiate with their players. The Patriots seems to me pay good money for a key/core quality player only. I think this is the way to go so we won't be tied up with cap situation in the future. Besides, JJ Watt's contract is coming up next season.

Dam I forgot about Lewis. My heads been stuck in the draft section to long.

Don't worry, Kendrick Lewis' play was very forgettable last year. As stated in his thread:

Lewis was rated 52nd/85 Safetys overall in 2013 (>25% snaps) by PFF.

That would be ahead of Swearing and Keo and just behind Manning. (And ahead of Quintin Demps, KC) So below average. 2012 he was bottom 10.

I never believed it when he said it. No head coach, staff, or starting QB at the time. It was obvious to everyone, but he still needs to rah rah to sell tickets and keep that on-going 12 year sellout streak going. I don't hold it against him, though. It's what he's supposed to do.

Yes I expect this team to be competitive next year. At least 8 win depending on who they get at QB.

Our division isn't tough. There is still a lot of talent on this team. We have 11 picks in a good draft. We can still shore up some spots in FA and we just got 4.5 mil from Dman being cut.

But again, all depends on QB play.

What a game that was that Manning had against his x-teammates in Chitown a couple years ago. If he ends up on the roster of a team the Texans will see on their schedule, our guys had better buckle up their chin straps when they show up for that game.

Don't worry, Kendrick Lewis' play was very forgettable last year. As stated in his thread:

The following conversation occurred between my brother (Chiefs season ticket holder for over 30 years) and my nephew (who now shares his season tickets) during a recent visit home:

Brother: The Texans just signed the guy who lost the Colts playoff game for us.

Nephew: Good!

Just sayin'

The way Texans operates recently reminds me of how Patriots FO negotiate with their players. The Patriots seems to me pay good money for a key/core quality player only. I think this is the way to go so we won't be tied up with cap situation in the future. Besides, JJ Watt's contract is coming up next season.

This might be an unpopular opinion but you don't throw all of your money on one player, even if it is JJ. This is a TEAM game, after all. There are 10 other players on the field, each playing an important role.

Something that seems to be overlooked is that the Texans had a way of also calling on Manning when returners on the team would falter.

Not worried at all. I didn't think much of Manning's play last year and I think Clemons is an upgrade at FS.

I love Swearinger as a SS, but that's based mostly on potential.

I think we can draft a good athlete at safety to provide depth, learn and possibly contribute. But I'm not concerned with this at all.

Currently I'm more worried about the D-line, CB's and OLB's...general pass rush. I think Safety is about the least of the defenses worries.

I still think it's something different. Call it a "modern rebuild". I think they're trying to rebuild and win at the same time. We've really seen a "build" (2002-2005) and one bare-cupboard "rebuild" (2006-2009) in our time as Texans fans. this is a different kind of rebuild. There are players here. There are players here who have won here. This is an attempt to fix what's broken and start winning in a year, maybe two tops.

That's what I think. Not much to go on yet but the Texans approach so far to free agency has been intelligent, dynamic (for them), and consistent. This is kind of like the year that Manning and Joseph were signed. That year you got a feeling that the Texans were working according to a plan which felt really different from most years. They may have had a plan most years for free agency but it always felt like it was a stupid plan or a very short-sighted plan. Grabbing guys who were over the hill, paying too much for too little (basically the Ed Reed deal is the perfect example of that).

The year we brought in Joseph and Manning you got the feeling that the Texans were doing things the smart way. This year feels like that. Good moves in free agency. Nothing stinking of desperation for a change. Getting something for Schaub was smart. Letting Manning go when they couldn't make a deal to restructure was smart.

Feels like the new era that it is. Makes it easier to enjoy being a fan of the team when you don't feel like they're wandering around blindfolded in a minefield taking directions from the other GM's.

Not worried at all. I didn't think much of Manning's play last year and I think Clemons is an upgrade at FS.

I think we can draft a good athlete at safety to provide depth, learn and possibly contribute. But I'm not concerned with this at all.

Currently I'm more worried about the D-line, CB's and OLB's...general pass rush. I think Safety is about the least of the defenses worries.[/QUOTE]

Past Texans regimens unfortunately for a long time had that same philosophy. Not having a reliable LAST line of defense isn't a significant concern. OK.:rake:

Currently I'm more worried about the D-line, CB's and OLB's...general pass rush. I think Safety is about the least of the defenses worries.[/QUOTE]

Past Texans regimens unfortunately for a long time had that same philosophy. Not having a reliable LAST line of defense isn't a significant concern. OK.:rake:

signed,

Matt Stevens
Glen Earl
CC Brown
Eugene Wilson
Dominque Barber
Brandon Harrison
Troy Nolan

& now you can add Shilo Keo to this list of futility.

Okay, I'm scrambling around trying to figure out whether it the the Giants or Broncos that released "Manning" and why?
laugh-1.gif

I thought he agreed to a pay cut to stay on.....
Waited to publish this, but apparently Manning was asked to take a pay that would have put his contract in the neighborhood of the one Clemons signed...
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli Mar 28
From what I understand, Clemons got a similar salary to what Manning was offered in the pay cut the #Texans asked him to take.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Chris Clemons counts $1.15 million against the cap this year.

Chris Clemons two years for 2.7 mil and 450,000 guaranteed.

Would have been a hefty cut, although he'll likely find the market not much higher. What's interesting is...
Texans saved $4.5 million on cap by waiving Manning, making them more than $13 million under the cap.

Appears we're stockpiling cap room... to target a free agent?... or put it to other use? :hmmm:

:logo:

Last edited:

Swearinger was a 2nd round pick that showed some promise. Has some issues. Needs to continue to get better.

Clemons has been a solid starter. Not great. Solid or maybe you could argue slightly below average.

Lewis who has been a starter. Ok depth. Eddie pleasant. Special teams. Ok depth. Shilo....I'm not a fan, but he started some games...Special teams guy..ok depth..

I didn't say we had Earl Thomas and Jairus Byrd back there. Or anyone close. But I do think they are the least of the defenses worries.

At corner you have Kareem who has grown into a solid corner. Joseph who was injured a bunch and got burned quite a bit. No known commodity at nickle corner. No depth there.

At LB you have two 0's at OLB. No second ILB to speak of. Cushing who's coming off another injury. Depth?

At D-line you have Watt...The new NT and two guys who may not even fit the scheme the new D-coordinator wants to run in Crick and Jamison. And Jamison is coming off an injury and Crick has not really done anything noteworthy anyways.

And the Pass rush is Watt.

So yes, the safety position is currently one of the least of my worries on defense. Didn't say they were going to be a great group, but atm I feel better about their prospects next year than I do any other position group or aspect of the defense.

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
"Just being home and bringing my family back home and just to play in your back yard was special." Manning (2/2) #texans

"It was just so surreal. To get back to Texas and play in front of my family..." Manning (1/2) #Texans

"Two grown men agreeing to disagree. It was nothing bad. I think the world of that organization." Manning on his meeting with GM Smith

Just talked to recently-cut Manning. He thanked #Texans for time here. Said he'll keep his home in HOU. Wants to live here after retirement.
Class.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Career stats on Danieal Manning: 112 gms, 91 starts. 521 total tackles, 428 solo, 11 ints, 9 FF, 5 fumble recoveries, 2 blocked FGs. #Texans

Danieal Manning's career kick return avg is 26.8 yards per return. 4th highest kickoff return average since entering NFL in 2006. #Texans

Okay, I'm scrambling around trying to figure out whether it the the Giants or Broncos that released "Manning" and why?
laugh-1.gif

Waited to publish this, but apparently Manning was asked to take a pay that would have put his contract in the neighborhood of the one Clemons signed...
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli Mar 28

Would have been a hefty cut, although he'll likely find the market not much higher. What's interesting is...

Appears we're stockpiling cap room... to target a free agent?... or put it to other use? :hmmm:

:logo:

Or several? IMO, our front 7 is in shambles. What we currently have on the roster:

DE: Watt, Jamison, Crick And Browner
NT: Powe, lol
ILB: Cushing, Mohamed, Tarpinian
OLB. Mercilus, Reed, Hazel, Sapp, Tuggle, Williams

I might be missing someone, but we need a lot.

Or several? IMO, our front 7 is in shambles. What we currently have on the roster:

DE: Watt, Jamison, Crick And Browner
NT: Powe, lol
ILB: Cushing, Mohamed, Tarpinian
OLB. Mercilus, Reed, Hazel, Sapp, Tuggle, Williams

I might be missing someone, but we need a lot.

That **** looks terrible.

Back