Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2014   #1
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rank Team Needs.

The talk in the rebuilding thread got me to thinking about which needs have a higher priority.

I think it starts at QB , but that's pretty obvious. There is a lack of bodies along the defensive line (Watt , Crick & Powe). The OL has some holes too , especially RT and to a lesser extent LG.
Cant forget about ILB and the secondary either. That nickel CB is a starter ....

Here's my list. Obviously some get filled thru the draft but the rest need attention after the draft with bargain FA's , kinda like Mays last year.

QB - Fitzpatrick , Keenum & Yates. I don't see a starter for a contending team.

DE - Watt & .....

CB - That Nickel corner is a starter. Seriously lacking talent behind KJax and JJo.

DT/NT Only one on the roster.

RT - Newton was just bad last year. Harris is gone (for now). Neither of last years rookies contributed and finished the season on IR. The Andrew Gardner project should be over. If you think Quessenberry or B.Williams will contribute the need is less critical.

RB - Tate gone , Foster coming off of an injury riddled season. Had street FA's toting the rock late in the season. If Foster is healthy there isn't much concern for anything but a backup.

ILB - Cushing & who ? Maybe Tuggle contributes ?? Reed moves inside making a hole at OLB ??

WR & TE probably belong on the list. Not much talent behind #80 , Hopkins & Posey when healthy. Graham looks capable & Griffin showed well but neither are traditional blocking TE's.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rank Team Needs.

Qb

rt, de, ilb, nb

nt, rb
Old 03-21-2014   #3
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Qb

rt, de, ilb, nb

nt, rb
I would add TE to the 2nd group and OLB to the third group.
Old 03-21-2014   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We need 20+ players, imo... BPA.

QB, DE, SCB, RT, NT, rush OLB, big ILB, LG, Slot WR, RBs, SS, LG, and depth across majority of these and other positions plus quality move and Y TEs with an eye on replacing #1 WR, C, CB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

1. QB.. I don't see a future with what we've got
  2. RT... maybe he's on the roster, Q or Brennan, maybe not
  3. TE.... again, maybe on the Roster, doubt it
  4. WR... I still got hope for Posey, but it's running out
  5. RB... the one thing I did like about Tate, was that I thought he pushed Foster. I hate that it's got to be that way, but I think Foster works better with competing against someone on our team
  6. K... I don't trust the Hobbit
  7. ILB... Batman needs a Robin
  8. SS... I miss Glover. I hope DJ works out & Crennel's defense helps him shine
  9. OLB... if our DEs play as 2 gap defenders over the OT, maybe Brooks & Whitney can be who we need them to be

Defense beat Peyton Manning the last two years... but putting pressure on him to score was just as important as chasing him off his spot & harassing his receivers.

I don't think we'll be contending for a Super Bowl next year, but I'd rather start on our offense in 2014 since it takes longer for an offense to mature. We can add 3 or 4 defensive players in 2015 & they can start kicking butt right away.... and our offense will pull it's own weight.

I believe if we add our defensive pieces now, their efforts will be wasted as we struggle to score 16 points. Then add a few offensive pieces in 2015 & they still not gel until it's too late in the season to mean anything.
Old 03-21-2014   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Catching up on today's television chatter about the Schaub trade (and Fitz)...

What does it mean for the Raiders?
The Raiders do not need to take a QB at pick #5 now, there's no QB worth top 5 pick.
What does it mean for the Texans?
The Texans will be taking Blake Bortles #1.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #7
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The talk in the rebuilding thread got me to thinking about which needs have a higher priority.

I think it starts at QB , but that's pretty obvious. There is a lack of bodies along the defensive line (Watt , Crick & Powe). The OL has some holes too , especially RT and to a lesser extent LG.
Cant forget about ILB and the secondary either. That nickel CB is a starter ....

Here's my list. Obviously some get filled thru the draft but the rest need attention after the draft with bargain FA's , kinda like Mays last year.

QB - Fitzpatrick , Keenum & Yates. I don't see a starter for a contending team.

DE - Watt & .....

CB - That Nickel corner is a starter. Seriously lacking talent behind KJax and JJo.

DT/NT Only one on the roster.

RT - Newton was just bad last year. Harris is gone (for now). Neither of last years rookies contributed and finished the season on IR. The Andrew Gardner project should be over. If you think Quessenberry or B.Williams will contribute the need is less critical.

RB - Tate gone , Foster coming off of an injury riddled season. Had street FA's toting the rock late in the season. If Foster is healthy there isn't much concern for anything but a backup.

ILB - Cushing & who ? Maybe Tuggle contributes ?? Reed moves inside making a hole at OLB ??

WR & TE probably belong on the list. Not much talent behind #80 , Hopkins & Posey when healthy. Graham looks capable & Griffin showed well but neither are traditional blocking TE's.
Qb

Rt, de, nt, olb
( I dont believe powe is a starter and I think reed shifts inside making olb more urgent then ilb)

nickel (agree with corrosion completely, this is basically a starting role.)

Lg, rb, ilb
(Q is my favorite for LG easily, we're counting on Cushing who's comming off 2 injuries, yeesh)

Somewhere far away in the distance i'd include te and slot wr.
Old 03-21-2014   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

1. QB -- We need someone who's going to lead this team.
2. RT -- We need someone who keeps the guy who's going to lead this team from getting killed.
3. OLB -- We need someone who can put pressure on the other team's QB without putting his hand in the dirt. Right now, I'm not convinced that's Whitney Mercilus or Brooks Reed.
4. DE -- We need someone opposite JJ.
5. ILB -- We need someone beside Cush. If Brooks Reed can fill this role, great.
6. K -- Seriously. Get Rob Bironas on the phone, STAT!
7. CB -- We need a nickel corner and/or depth. Not feeling the Brandon NoFly Harris love.
8. G -- In case Quess isn't the guy I think he is.

That would be my shopping list based on need. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't draft a TE or a WR or some other position if they were the BPA.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #9
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
1. QB -- We need someone who's going to lead this team.
2. RT -- We need someone who keeps the guy who's going to lead this team from getting killed.
3. OLB -- We need someone who can put pressure on the other team's QB without putting his hand in the dirt. Right now, I'm not convinced that's Whitney Mercilus or Brooks Reed.
4. DE -- We need someone opposite JJ.
5. ILB -- We need someone beside Cush. If Brooks Reed can fill this role, great.
6. K -- Seriously. Get Rob Bironas on the phone, STAT!
7. CB -- We need a nickel corner and/or depth. Not feeling the Brandon NoFly Harris love.
8. G -- In case Quess isn't the guy I think he is.

That would be my shopping list based on need. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't draft a TE or a WR or some other position if they were the BPA.
Absolute best case scenario with bold is that we draft an OLB high (Van Noy or Dee Ford @ 2-1) and Brooks has the ability to play inside. Kill two birds with one stone IMO.
Old 03-22-2014   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Absolute best case scenario with bold is that we draft an OLB high (Van Noy or Dee Ford @ 2-1) and Brooks has the ability to play inside. Kill two birds with one stone IMO.
That's what I'm hoping.

Last year, I was really, really wanting us to find a good ILB in the draft. It didn't happen and that hurt us in the long run.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

right tackle, inside linebacker, nose tackle, and depth in the secondary are our main concerns.

left guard, right defensive end, outside linebacker, and depth at runningback are question marks.

obviously i'm missing a big one that most will label first, and that's quarterback. i'm leaving it out because honestly i dont know where we're at at quarterback. i'm not ready to write off keenum because he couldnt carry the epic failure our team became last year, and i'm a bit curious to see what fitz can do on a team that isnt quite the disaster that he's used to. we most likely need our "QB of the future", but i'm in more of a wait and see approach here.
Old 03-22-2014   #12
No Worries
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 No Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respectedNo Worries is a quality contributor and well respected

Offense starters:

QB, RT, LG, FB

Defense starters:

Front seven minus JJ and Cushing
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. QB - Starter
2. DE - Starter
3. NT - Starter
4. RT - Starter
5. ILB - Starter
6. OLB - Starter
7. RB - Depth
8. DE - Depth
9. ILB - Depth
10. CB - Depth
11. S - Depth
12. TE - Depth
13. OT - Depth
14. OLB - Depth
15. OG - Depth
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #14
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is my ranking:

1. QB
2. RT
3. ILB
4. NT
5. DE
6. TE
7. OLB
8. OG
9. HB
10. WR
11. K

QB is obviously our biggest need. We might have our RT on the team already, but that`s what we were thinking the last two seasons. With a real RT we`d have made the playoffs last season (no, I am not crazy - we headed into a downward spiral because of losses...), so I am not ready to just hope on the guys on our roster.

We don`t really have anyone who can play next to Cushing, and his health is a concern. NT is an important position in Crennels defense, so is DE. TE is a little bit more of a luxury, but I expect BoB wants to play with lots of 2 TE sets. We can always use another pass rusher, or at the very least depht behind Mercilus and Reed. Our O-line could use another guard, maybe Quess can take that spot.

With Tate gone, we could really usa an HB to push Foster. We don`t know if we have a reliable slot receiver yet - who knows if Martin or Posey can fit that role. And our kicking last year was atrocious - I don`t know if I feel comfortable to give Bullock another chance.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #15
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

QB, RT, 2 ILB's (not Brooks Reed, can't rely on Cushing), OLB (replace Reed), DE, NT, nickel CB (please not Harris).
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
right tackle, inside linebacker, nose tackle, and depth in the secondary are our main concerns.

left guard, right defensive end, outside linebacker, and depth at runningback are question marks.

obviously i'm missing a big one that most will label first, and that's quarterback. i'm leaving it out because honestly i dont know where we're at at quarterback. i'm not ready to write off keenum because he couldnt carry the epic failure our team became last year, and i'm a bit curious to see what fitz can do on a team that isnt quite the disaster that he's used to. we most likely need our "QB of the future", but i'm in more of a wait and see approach here.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I'd like to use this year to install/improve the supporting cast for our franchise QB - whoever that might be. I know I'm alone here, but I'm just not convinced that guy is in this draft.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

speed, nt, speed, ilb, speed, OT, speed, cb, speed, ILB, speed, S, speed, rb

Really need to improve team speed
Old 03-23-2014   #18
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

QB
CB
ILB
DT
RT
OLB
K
cheerleaders with bigger butts
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #19
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Defensive Tackle - Powe and nobody...... yeah huge issue.
ILB - Cushing might get back on the field but at some point we need to write him off and apart from him...... yeesh.
DE - JJ, Crick, Jamison.... that is a precipitious fall off
CB - JJo and KJ are solid enough but after that, AAARGH my eyes
T - Newton is still projected to start FULLSTOP
QB - I don't mind Pickspatrick, but he is not the future
IL - Left Guard is an issue we need to fix
Old 03-23-2014   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Qb

rt, de, ilb, nb

nt, rb
What is an nb? nickel back?
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read