Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-19-2005   #1
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Default Nice comments related to Carr

David Carr

If you go to the bottom of that page it has stuff on David Carr and it talks about him becoming the NFL's next great quartback along the lines of Peyton Manning and Daunte Culpepper. Also very good stuff on his play skills.
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't say I disagree with him. Carr is going to be special.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

""I don't mean he's the next Chad Pennington or Trent Green," Joyner writes. "I mean he's possibly the next Manning (Peyton, not Eli) or Culpepper. Just take a look at his numbers from last year ... He ranked fourth in yards per attempt, third in tight/good coverage percentage and fifth in bad decision percentage. ... Besides ranking in first in deep completion percentage, he also ranked fourth in accurate deep pass percentage and fourth in deep yards per attempt."
High praise to be sure.
"We truly believed last season that Carr was being completely held back by his terrible offensive line and receiver group, and these numbers back it up. No team has frustrated us more this off-season with their inactivity than the Texans. Carr looks like he has the potential to be great. But he may continue to be limited by Houston's secondary receivers (Corey Bradford and Jabar Gaffney) and their offensive line."
Sounds like sentiments some on this board have had - but that's last year and I for one am gonna have an open mind and positive attitude for the upcoming season.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #4
Jwwillis
All Pro

Great on Carr and really disses the O-Line and receivers. Kinda like our message board
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #5
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes the truth hurts. . .
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #6
tacoman_j
Veteran

Default Visioon COne

Why then is Carr Vision Cone so limited??? HUH!!!

http://sports.ign.com/articles/634/634981p13.html
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman_j

Time???

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2005   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

why is it smaller than trent dilfer's?!?!?!?!?!? i know espn 2k6 would have been a far greater game.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm intrigued. If you're wondering what the author means by "bad decision" & "tight/good coverage", here are the definitions from his web site, The Football Scientist.

Quote:
Bad decision - Usually when the QB forces the ball into coverage, or does something that he obviously shouldn't do. Too many of these, especially if under a pass rush, is a sign that the QB can be rattled.

Good coverage - When a DB is within 1 step of the receiver as the pass arrives, or when they have good position on a pass. Compare to tight coverage.

Tight coverage - When a DB is all over a receiver as the pass arrives. To differentiate between this and good coverage: Good coverage can be beaten with a perfectly thrown pass. Tight coverage is almost never beaten.
OK, it's great that Carr has a good % throwing into good/tight coverage. That doesn't surprise me, Carr has a cannon and he's accurate. But if Carr is so great at throwing into coverage, how can he have a good "bad decision" percentage? That's defined as not throwing into coverage. I just bought the book, so when I figure it out, I'll let you know.
Old 07-20-2005   #10
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Maybe he differentiates between 'throwing' into coverage and actually 'forcing' it into coverage. If the pass is completed, then the risk was worth it. If it's tipped, well you live to play another down. If it's intercepted, then it counts strongly as a bad decision.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #11
h2so4
Rookie

I think Carr's gonna be one of the best QB in the NFL.He shows great potential now.

HOUSTON RULES !!!
h2so4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #12
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

A bad decision doesn't end in a completion for a TD. BTW the book is a little pricey for me, but I think I will get the draft guide.
Old 07-20-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
OK, it's great that Carr has a good % throwing into good/tight coverage. That doesn't surprise me, Carr has a cannon and he's accurate. But if Carr is so great at throwing into coverage, how can he have a good "bad decision" percentage? That's defined as not throwing into coverage. I just bought the book, so when I figure it out, I'll let you know.
I think the distinction is going to be primarily the positioning of the DB's and whether than can make and INT. Tight coverage on the far shoulder of the WR means the DB may bust up the play but is unlikely to get the INT. Tight coverage on the near shoulder or with another DB rolling over means not only that the DB may bust up the play but will have a good shot at picking the pass off. Another option is how the ball was thrown. In the Vikings game last year it seemed to have dawned on DC that he could throw a ball higher than he would for most WR's even into tight double coverage and AJ would just go up and get it--that's a ball which won't get INT'd by most DB's except off a deflection.
Old 07-20-2005   #14
DreamCatcher
Rookie

Carr is the real deal and can be a great QB,he just needs more protection.
Old 07-20-2005   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I think the distinction is going to be primarily the positioning of the DB's and whether than can make and INT. Tight coverage on the far shoulder of the WR means the DB may bust up the play but is unlikely to get the INT. Tight coverage on the near shoulder or with another DB rolling over means not only that the DB may bust up the play but will have a good shot at picking the pass off...
Yeah it could mean something like that. I would find it problematical to ascertain these differences over each pass thrown in the NFL. I'm not sure if you can see all of these things from a TV feed. How much is objective, how much subjective?

I'n not dismissing his numbers, just suggesting that he's taken an awful big bite of data here. And I'm not sure how he came upon it. I can't help it - I'm a born cynic. Still, if I learn 1 thing from this book, a single bet can cover the expense.
Old 07-20-2005   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
In the Vikings game last year it seemed to have dawned on DC that he could throw a ball higher than he would for most WR's even into tight double coverage and AJ would just go up and get it
If you're referring to the crossing route with the high pass at the back of the end zone, I watched them practice that play quite a bit in the free training camps last year, as well as before games in warm-ups. So I doubt it just dawned on him, but maybe the situation was right for him to hit it that way. I love that play, though. Aside from the falling on his head part (yikes!), I wouldn't mind seeing that play get utilized more frequently. Perhaps it's the injury potential of leaving your feet near a defender that's kept them from doing it.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #17
JacksonvilleJaguar4
Rookie

I know what the vision cone is but say if you were playing whats the point of the cone and all that why does it matter, and what are the advantages of having a big vision cone compared to a smaller one? just curious
Old 07-21-2005   #18
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

You can only throw to receivers inside the vision cone.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #19
Texan80Buc80fan+
Rookie

Carr IMO should have a great career with the Texans. He is a great QB and I'm very very happy for you guys down there in Houston. Carr to Johnson should be so much fun to watch for a decent number of years. You Texans are rising up the NFL charts and I'm very happy about that.
Texan80Buc80fan+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #20
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers

Quote:

It's better than Michael Vick's

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read