Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-30-2014   #121
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans making moves at safety (Clemens 2 year contract)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He's always graded out positive as a deep safety so I see no reason to move him. Also, IIRC, I think Lewis has experience as a CB so maybe he will play some slot CB.
Thanks, I don't know either of them
Old 03-30-2014   #122
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
From another perspective:

Strange evaluation for a safety who rated in the top 20 by PFF.

The Battleredblog article 2014 Houston Texans Offseason: "The Safety Dance"
offers some interesting comparisons of our newly-acquired safeties.
I think it's grain of salt time, with all our safeties. None of them proved to be starter material.... imo, last year there were flashes, or stats, or some reason to believe two of the four should be able to start in 2014; DMann's past history, Dj Swag's flashes, Keo was a solid safety, & Clemons has got PFF in his corner.

I think the name of the game here is competition.
Old 03-30-2014   #123
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Doesn't Clemons have much better speed that would translate to better at the slot?
I think speed equates to range. I want him covering center field. I want a physical guy in the slot to jam up the receiver/TE, not let him get into his route.
Old 03-30-2014   #124
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think it's grain of salt time, with all our safeties. None of them proved to be starter material.... imo, last year there were flashes, or stats, or some reason to believe two of the four should be able to start in 2014; DMann's past history, Dj Swag's flashes, Keo was a solid safety, & Clemons has got PFF in his corner.

I think the name of the game here is competition.
I agree with you whole-heartedly.........and hope that honest competition with this new regime carries over to ALL positions.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014   #125
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think speed equates to range. I want him covering center field. I want a physical guy in the slot to jam up the receiver/TE, not let him get into his route.
^^^ This.

A speedy guy like that is probably going to be better away from everyone where he can see what's going on and use his speed to put him in the right position.

Now... if he takes bad angles, that's a problem.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014   #126
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You want someone in the slot that is physical and has agility.

Slot guys on offense come in different forms. Big guys, wes welker type guys, Owen Daniels type guys, ect....

And IMO that's why I think Kareem is perfect to bump down into the slot position when needed. He's really, really good on short stuff which is where you want your slot guy to excel. He can handle different types of guys as well. I think Kareem is perfect for the role.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014   #127
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Why would you be tempted to do that? Swearinger seems much more natural at SS to me.

Clemons deep, DJ at SS and Manning in the slot wouldn't be a bad line up, imo.
It was meant to be implicit in my post that it was contemplating a 2 deep safety scenario.

Of the 3 I think Manning has the best ability to cover the Wes Welker's of the league who have given the Texans fits for years. He's more physical than his stature, has a knack for forcing fumbles when he can come downhill to tackle and most important has the agility to match the breaks of someone like Welker with long speed as well to boot. He has also shown plus ability to blitz from the position.
Old 03-30-2014   #128
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6986 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Safety was one of the few position groups on the roster that I felt was solid from a talent aspect with Manning , Swearinger , Keo (who I thought played well last season) and Pleasant.

Either they don't like the talent at the position or this is a wasteful allocation of cap space.
This, I don't know why we are pretty much only going after a position that we were not weak at compared to other positions of need.

How did most of you all of sudden decide Clemens is better than Manning?

I don't agree with that at all, this will only be a good signing if Manning stays on the team.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014   #129
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
This, I don't know why we are pretty much only going after a position that we were not weak at compared to other positions of need.

How did most of you all of sudden decide Clemens is better than Manning?

I don't agree with that at all, this will only be a good signing if Manning stays on the team.
One, it's probably adding pressure to negotiating with Manning.

Two, if Manning leaves, it's probably at least temporarily a backup plan.

Three, it's a very cheap acquisition (probably much cheaper than a so-called position of greater need)............cheap enough (only $450,000 guaranteed) that he is releasable virtually at any point.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014   #130
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It was meant to be implicit in my post that it was contemplating a 2 deep safety scenario.

Of the 3 I think Manning has the best ability to cover the Wes Welker's of the league who have given the Texans fits for years. He's more physical than his stature, has a knack for forcing fumbles when he can come downhill to tackle and most important has the agility to match the breaks of someone like Welker with long speed as well to boot. He has also shown plus ability to blitz from the position.
That would be a disaster. If manning was that good he could just play corner period. If he was that good the texans wouldn't be asking him to take a pay cut.
Old 03-30-2014   #131
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
That would be a disaster. If manning was that good he could just play corner period. If he was that good the texans wouldn't be asking him to take a pay cut.
You're of course correct. Our nickel back is clearly superior. Remind me who that is again?

I thought we were talking about IF they choose to put three safeties on the field.
Old 03-30-2014   #132
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29606 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I agree with you whole-heartedly.........and hope that honest competition with this new regime carries over to ALL positions.

Yeah, the impression I get is that they're making everyone pretty much earn their spot. Nice change of pace, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #133
_King_
All Pro

Manning has been released.
Old 03-31-2014   #134
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68323 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well that sucks.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #135
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Manning has been released.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nieal-manning/

so now the Texans safety position is probably the cheapest in the league in terms of costs after being one of the most expensive last year.
Old 03-31-2014   #136
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Well.

Damn.

I was hoping we'd be able to retain him.
Old 03-31-2014   #137
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I wonder what they "need" the money for.
Old 03-31-2014   #138
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well.

Damn.

I was hoping we'd be able to retain him.
Me too. I wonder how much they asked him to reduce his salary..??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #139
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wonder what they "need" the money for.
They're thinking ahead to JJ's massive contract next year. Or they may be negotiating for that extension now and are clearing future space to do so. It's almost certainly going to be the biggest defensive contract in NFL history.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #140
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Me too. I wonder how much they asked him to reduce his salary..??
I thought someone said something about him being asked to take a salary similar to the Clemons contract.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read