Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-29-2014   #101
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans making moves at safety (Clemens 2 year contract)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You know I'm one of the rah-rah, forever optimists on the board. However, I'm cautious for some reason about what we've seen so far. Quentin Demps was the starting FS on the team we got Lewis from.
That's incorrect. Demps was the 3rd safety for KC last year. Eric Berry started 15 games at SS and Lewis started 15 games at FS. Demps started 6 games last year...1 at SS, 1 at FS, and 4 as a 3rd safety when KC opened the game in a Nickel alignment.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #102
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I tried to point that out when F/A first began and posters were griping that we hadn't done anything. Unless there's someone out there you just HAVE to have (see Bob McNair's Ed Reed fetish last year) just wait for the first wave to subside and get the value signings when the free agents start to worry that they might be without a job this season. Players - at least the ones without big name recognition - are willing to sign up for more reasonable contracts as the draft approaches.
I was one of those gripers. I wasn't expecting us to go after a lot of FA's early, but I did want to see us go get one of the better RTs rather than try to find one in the draft. There were some very good young ones available in the $6 million range. Then we could've waited for the bargains to pop up. Securing a veteran starting RT would've solidified our O'Line & left us free to focus on the defensive side of the draft with all our picks except for the one used on a QB. Now, I'll just have to hope that Brennan Williams & the "Q" have recovered from their injuries & can step up their games.

However, having said all that, I am pleased with the FA's we have signed.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #103
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Now, I'll just have to hope that Brennan Williams & the "Q" have recovered from their injuries & can step up their games.
There was an article somewhere, where OB said Paul Dunn was familiar with Quessenberry, that Dunn was interested in him when he was working Atlanta's draft last year.

So maybe they've already got designs for him. His injury isn't anything like Brennan's. He should be good to go.
Old 03-29-2014   #104
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
There was an article somewhere, where OB said Paul Dunn was familiar with Quessenberry, that Dunn was interested in him when he was working Atlanta's draft last year.

So maybe they've already got designs for him. His injury isn't anything like Brennan's. He should be good to go.
As I mentioned before, it bothers me that the Texans have never characterized Quessenberry's injury at all past calling it a "foot fracture" Let's just hope it wasn't a Lisfranc fracture (which is a mid foot fracture), and they are too skittish to reveal it in light of what the Schaub situation brought.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #105
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Safety was one of the few position groups on the roster that I felt was solid from a talent aspect with Manning , Swearinger , Keo (who I thought played well last season) and Pleasant.

Either they don't like the talent at the position or this is a wasteful allocation of cap space.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #106
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Safety was one of the few position groups on the roster that I felt was solid from a talent aspect with Manning , Swearinger , Keo (who I thought played well last season) and Pleasant.

Either they don't like the talent at the position or this is a wasteful allocation of cap space.
I love the signing. Clemons is better in coverage than Manning. I won't be surprised if Manning is cut since he isn't taking a pay cut.
Old 03-29-2014   #107
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I love the signing. Clemons is better in coverage than Manning.
Not so sure about that.

Manning is a lot better at turnovers - almost twice the pace (that includes accounting for the games started differential).

I wonder if the intent isn't to have Clemons and Manning start (both have started at SS & FS) and Swearinger be the 3rd safety - if Manning can be convinced to reduce his contract.
Old 03-29-2014   #108
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love the signing. Clemons is better in coverage than Manning. I won't be surprised if Manning is cut since he isn't taking a pay cut.
has that been decided finally? I thought Manning's camp said they weren't against taking a pay cut/restructure but during the initial talks they and the Texans weren't all that close together. Yet.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #109
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not so sure about that.

Manning is a lot better at turnovers - almost twice the pace (that includes accounting for the games started differential).

I wonder if the intent isn't to have Clemons and Manning start (both have started at SS & FS) and Swearinger be the 3rd safety - if Manning can be convinced to reduce his contract.
FWIW, I heard a discussion with some scout on 610 today that addressed that very subject...........essentially saying that for whatever reason his prior team only felt comfortable using him virtually exclusively at the strong safety position (despite the fact that he only played ~ 1/3 of the plays in the box).
Old 03-29-2014   #110
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 17553 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not so sure about that.

That's actually a good move. Could Swearinger be able to come in as a slot? Not sure he's got the quick twitch ability to make a play on a quick slant/hitch/out route.

Swearinger looks like he could be a solid piece to our defense, but not sure he could do that.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #111
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning and Clemens at safety is actually really solid.

But I'm not high on manning as a FS. He does not flip his hips all that great. He's more of a straight line player.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #112
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
That's actually a good move. Could Swearinger be able to come in as a slot? Not sure he's got the quick twitch ability to make a play on a quick slant/hitch/out route.

Swearinger looks like he could be a solid piece to our defense, but not sure he could do that.
I'd be tempted to put Swearinger deep and pull Manning into the slot.
Old 03-29-2014   #113
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FA S Chris Clemons(Miami) visiting Texans

I'd be tempted to grab one if these vet FA corners and putting Kareem in the slot and the vet outside in 3 wide sets. I think he'd be excellent there.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #114
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not so sure about that.

Agree on all points, Manning and Clemons would be a nice safety tandem with Swearinger or Pleasant as the third option.
Old 03-30-2014   #115
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

From another perspective:

Quote:
Before we get too excited about the Clemons signing, consider what a local sports radio host in Miami had to say about him.

Quote:
Orlando Alzugaray, 640 Sports in Miami, joined The B-Straw and Pauly G Show to discuss the Chris Clemons signing. Alzugaray is not high on the new Texan. He says he might be good for competition but thinks it would be a bad idea for the Texans to start him. - houston.cbslocal.com
When asked what the Texans are getting in Chris Clemons:

Quote:
Alzugaray said, "A mediocre [safety] who takes bad angles and is not very good back there. He's a nice kid, but he's not much of a football player. He was up for free agency last year, and nobody wanted him. And [Miami Dolphins' GM] Jeff Ireland, who is a moron, brought him back for a year. He just makes no plays. Miami doesn't have a good free safety, and they let him go. That tells you all you need to know."
That's a pretty damning review from a local sports radio host. Let's hope Rick & RAC know more than that Alzugaray.
Strange evaluation for a safety who rated in the top 20 by PFF.

The Battleredblog article 2014 Houston Texans Offseason: "The Safety Dance"
offers some interesting comparisons of our newly-acquired safeties.
Old 03-30-2014   #116
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd be tempted to put Swearinger deep and pull Manning into the slot.
Why would you be tempted to do that? Swearinger seems much more natural at SS to me.

Clemons deep, DJ at SS and Manning in the slot wouldn't be a bad line up, imo.
Old 03-30-2014   #117
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78242 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we at least spell his name right in the thread title?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014   #118
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

If Crennel and Rick Smith aren't smarter than a radio host then we're in for a brutally long year.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014   #119
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why would you be tempted to do that? Swearinger seems much more natural at SS to me.

Clemons deep, DJ at SS and Manning in the slot wouldn't be a bad line up, imo.
Doesn't Clemons have much better speed that would translate to better at the slot?
Old 03-30-2014   #120
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Doesn't Clemons have much better speed that would translate to better at the slot?
He's always graded out positive as a deep safety so I see no reason to move him. Also, IIRC, I think Lewis has experience as a CB so maybe he will play some slot CB.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read