Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-28-2014   #81
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119300 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Danieal Manning agrees to pay cut/restructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I would rather have a lot from Clemson than Colorado State.
I feel that way about Aggie-Texans...lol.
Old 03-28-2014   #82
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 20429 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I think Kubiak was holding Rick Smith back.
Yes, but unfortunately Smith was trying to jump off a cliff at the time.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #83
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chris Clemons visiting Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think it's fairly clear Crennel isn't too high on our safeties
I'm not either. They don't get over and help out the cornerback.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #84
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 50432 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chris Clemons visiting Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
I'm not either. They don't get over and help out the cornerback.
Yeah cuz Wade had them man to man on every defensive call.
Old 03-28-2014   #85
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans making moves at safety (Clemens 2 year contract)

Agent: There are limits to the pay cut Danieal Manning is willing to take
Quote:
"He would be willing to take a pay cut, but not the amount they've asked him to take," said Russel Hicks in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "He's willing to do something to take one for the team and help them save some cap space.

"The numbers, where we are and where they are, there's just a difference right now. Hopefully, we can meet at some middle ground and move forward."

Hicks did not get specific about what Manning is willing to do and what the team would like him to do.

He said the talks are amicable.

"Very, very (amicable)," Hicks said. "One of the things that he understands and I understand that this is a business. I understand how things happen. He's coming off of an injury. You've got a new coaching staff in here. You got a new defense, new everything. This may be where they are with him at the safety position right now.

"They said they did not want him to leave. They made that more than clear. They need to save some money cap-wise and they're looking at him."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #86
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I would have to remain somewhat guarded re. JJo going into this season.

Following the 2012 season, he underwent bilateral "sports hernia" surgery. He reinjured his groin mid December 2013, then 2 weeks later was placed on IR due to an acute "foot" injury, that actually led to "toe" surgery. What most did not pay much attention to is the fact that his original toe injury occurred in September 2013. He was never rested outside of being allowed a couple of "limited" practices. He continued to play on what is now evident to have been what I initially suspected........a Turf Toe......until the ligament/capsule finally tore entirely, thus requiring surgery. This year, one must ask if either the groin(s) and/or toe be injuries he can overcome........or will they remain a chronic performance-inhibiting problem, which both such injuries have such potential of becoming.
I was just looking at pictures online of grade 3 tears. Looks like a really crappy injury to endure. Is there a chance that the surgery was necessary to only remove a bone spur?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014   #87
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like Manning's agent is still gauging what his value would be on the open market. I hope they can keep Manning, but a Clemons/Lewis/Swearinger combo at safety would be OK.
Old 03-29-2014   #88
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull View Post
What has impressed me the most about the free agent signings so far is that Rick appears to have figured out how to sign them to fair market value.
i feel like he is not jumping the gun, has some confidence in his coaching and the schemes instead of having to have the best player
Old 03-29-2014   #89
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Sounds like Manning's agent is still gauging what his value would be on the open market. I hope they can keep Manning, but a Clemons/Lewis/Swearinger combo at safety would be OK.
Another pressing issue is Johnathan Joseph's $7.5 million and $8.5 million base salary in 2014 and 2015. He's an aging cornerback and his play has gone down hill since his all pro season in 2011. Should we just trust the young kids and release Manning and Joseph? Let's save some significant cap space and bite the bullet with whatever dead money. Well actually I think Joseph is a pretty big name and many contenders would be lining up to give up at least a fourth round pick for him even at that salary.

Use the draft to refuel our talent level on defense and let's bring in another ballhawking cornerback in the third or fourth round. Unless you think the Texans will compete for the playoffs in 2014. I think as of right now, we're a 6-10 team on paper. With some luck staying healthy and improved quarterback play, we may have a 10-6 team. The difference in 2 wins, to 6 wins, to even 10 wins is a few more plays being made in the fourth quarter. We had several opportunities last season to win a lot more games even without Arian Foster and Brian Cushing.
Old 03-29-2014   #90
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Man coverage with zero pass rush aside from Watt distorts the capability of Manning and J-Jo. Manning is an excellent tackler and pretty good in coverage, I don't want Swearinger whiffing on tackles the next 3 years just to save a couple mil.
Old 03-29-2014   #91
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I was just looking at pictures online of grade 3 tears. Looks like a really crappy injury to endure. Is there a chance that the surgery was necessary to only remove a bone spur?
The big toe bone spurs are actually the end-stage arthritic result of turf toe cartilage damage to the joint of this toe. This occurs following repeated damage to the volar capsule (plantar plate) and collateral ligaments of that joint. The need for any surgery (reserved for only severe advanced cases) on turf toe still leaves the toe with expected ongoing degenerative changes.

The diagram below shows the the tear of the volar capsule and the cartilage/bone damage. With the resulting denuding of the cartilage (bone-on-bone), arthritis quickly develops......and a bone spur develops there at the joint, obstructing and limiting the range of motion of the joint, thus creating grinding with accompanying severe pain with movement.

Damage (Diagram below) to the stabilizing collateral ligaments allow abnormal side-to-side rocking movements of the joint to further contribute to the grinding down of joint cartilage.

So, in summary, bone spurs here do not occur in isolation and is a far more worrisome reflection of underlying serious degenerative processes. Surgery is directed not only to removal of the movement-obstructing bone spur, but also to the repair of the damaged volar capsule and stabilizing soft tissue structures of the joint.

Hope this answers your question.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Don't forget Keo.
Old 03-29-2014   #93
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Love the reactions from around the league fan bases on Clemons signing,

Why the £^€# didn't [insert team/GM name here] sign this guy???
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #94
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Seriously, I'm not sure what to do here right now. Within a few weeks this staff has addressed several nagging concerns that have hurt this team during Gary's . Namely to start lack of depth and quality at the safety position.

Look, whether this is Crennel's call or Smith or both kudos are in order specially for the upgrades at reasonable cost. I can only hope this end Keo's tenure with the team.

I'll give Rick this while it hasn't been a FA free for all re-tooling, aside from the Graham signing some fairly Savy signings here. This to me adds fuel back to speculation about the relationship between Gary and Rick when it came down to football operations of the team.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #95
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad people are starting to step back from the edge of the cliff now.

This is what you use FA for. Wait out the first and second wave of wild spending. Hold onto the guys that you want. And then find the bargains out there.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #96
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Seriously, I'm not sure what to do here right now. Within a few weeks this staff has addressed several nagging concerns that have hurt this team during Gary's . Namely to start lack of depth and quality at the safety position.

Look, whether this is Crennel's call or Smith or both kudos are in order specially for the upgrades at reasonable cost. I can only hope this end Keo's tenure with the team.

I'll give Rick this while it hasn't been a FA free for all re-tooling, aside from the Graham signing some fairly Savy signings here. This to me adds fuel back to speculation about the relationship between Gary and Rick when it came down to football operations of the team.
I also think Kubiak also put pressure on Smith to get Schaub's extension done early that season.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #97
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade Manning also?
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #98
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
Trade Manning also?
Well... the Raiders do still exist...
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #99
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

Look, whether this is Crennel's call or Smith or both kudos are in order specially for the upgrades at reasonable cost.
You know I'm one of the rah-rah, forever optimists on the board. However, I'm cautious for some reason about what we've seen so far. Quentin Demps was the starting FS on the team we got Lewis from.

Kubiak/Wade didn't feel like Demps had a spot on this team.

Now Clemens... the numbers look good, the Miami fan reaction seems favorable, the chatter around the league looks good... but the money. The money doesn't give me cause to be too excited, or expect much.

I'll get excited after camp, if either Lewis or Clemens beat out Manning or Swag for a starting job. Otherwise, we're waiting for an injury before these guys can contribute.

I've had about enough injuries on this defense to last a lifetime.
Old 03-29-2014   #100
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm glad people are starting to step back from the edge of the cliff now.

This is what you use FA for. Wait out the first and second wave of wild spending. Hold onto the guys that you want. And then find the bargains out there.
I tried to point that out when F/A first began and posters were griping that we hadn't done anything. Unless there's someone out there you just HAVE to have (see Bob McNair's Ed Reed fetish last year) just wait for the first wave to subside and get the value signings when the free agents start to worry that they might be without a job this season. Players - at least the ones without big name recognition - are willing to sign up for more reasonable contracts as the draft approaches.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read