Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2014   #21
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which QB do you take at 1-1, 2-1, or later (if at all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm with you, but I would like to hedge my bets with Smith/Jimmy G/Savage/Murray/McCarron in the 3rd/4th rd range.
Those guys all have talent, but again why not just fill a more pressing need? LB,OL,RB, heck even special teams. I'd maybe take a swing at a guy in the 6th or 7th and hope to hit the lotto, otherwise just keep building up I wouldnt waste a 3rd or even 4th on a project when that slot could potentially yield a starter at another position.

Fitz is going to be the guy next year, Case will backup. I wouldnt be shocked if Case actually starts some games too.
Old 03-23-2014   #22
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm with you, but I would like to hedge my bets with Smith/Jimmy G/Savage/Murray/McCarron in the 3rd/4th rd range.
exactly. All these guys have talent. Lets see what OB can do with one or more of them for a year and if they don't pan out so what we weren't winning the super bowl this year anyway.

As far as I'm concerned this is a three year project. We should be patient and let the QB come to us. Draft heavily in the trenches so we have a strong team when he gets here.
Old 03-24-2014   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I guess I didn't explain it well. I'm saying assume you have no control (like the way we all really have no control) and the Texans take a QB at 1-1 (which we all expect them to do). Who do you want it to be?

Then say they plan on grabbing one at 2-1 and not 1-1, which one do you hope they take there?

If no QB is taken in the first two rounds then is there a guy you would take later?
1:1 right now I'm leaning Johnny Football. Waiting on his pro day , maybe he separates himself from the other two , neither of which really helped themselves in their pro days.
Manziel has some flaws but he also makes a whole lot of big plays and makes plays that the other two just cant make.

2:1 give me Garoppolo. He's got all the tools ...

3:1 McCarron. Just wins football games. Had he come out last year he probably goes in the first half of round 1. Now after posting a similar season statistically , he falls to round three or later ?!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #24
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Bridgewater, Bortles
3. Garoppolo
4. Murray
5. Smith
6. Renner, Savage
7. Wenning
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know how to get link but his is on nfl.com. The title is

Bill O'Brien: Little separation in QB draft class talent

O'Brien said the process is getting closer, but he hasn't narrowed down the list just yet. He told Wyche there isn't a lot of difference between the presumed top three quarterbacks and the rest of the prospects.

"I think the thing is, to me, there's not a lot of separation," he said when asked if any player was worth of the No. 1 overall pick. "And there are more quarterbacks than just three
. Obviously the three guys that everybody talks about -- Blake (Bortles), Teddy (Bridgewater) and Johnny (Manziel). They're good players. They've had great college careers.

"But there are other guys out there. You've got (AJ) McCarron. You've got (Zach) Mettenberger. You've got Logan Thomas. You've got (Tom) Savage. You've got (Jimmy) Garoppolo. I mean, I can go right down the list. To me, you've got 10 to 12 guys you've got to do a great job of evaluating and make the best pick possible wherever you pick these guys. So I just see a lot of good quarterbacks. All of the guys have potential, which is a dangerous word, and you're trying to make sure you're doing what's best for your organization -- what fits best for your organization when you make that pick of a quarterback."

The bolded is pretty much what we have been saying for awhile now. I just don't see enough out of any of the top three to justify 1.1. I'll say it again. We should be patient take the best player available. We aren't winning a championship I. The next two years.
Old 03-24-2014   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 376621 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Don't know how to get link but his is on nfl.com. The title is...
Here ya go...

and the video link: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...2-c11bd9235c53

Article omits the "we're still studying these guys."

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #27
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 51498 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Here ya go...

I translate that as: "please someone, trade up for 1.1, because there's no QB in this class worthy of that pick, and if I can't trade back I'm going to have to make a reach for bortles"
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2014   #28
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Here ya go...

Thanks! For some reason everytime I go to nfl.com it automatically switches to my nfl app which shows no address.
Old 03-24-2014   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 376621 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is why you'd draft Teddy Bridgewater...

Teddy Bridgewater shows off his intelligence

That's the first time I've seen the poise he demonstrates on the field in this draft process. Get him into his element, into the game... that's where he's comfortable and where he wins.
Don't miss this.
Old 03-24-2014   #30
mussop
Hall of Fame

Another article with good points from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap20...-to-2011-class

Here's where you go back to 2011, and look at the Panthers, Titans, Jaguars, Vikings, Bengals, 49ers, Dolphins and Redskins. The Panthers took Cam Newton first. The Titans, Jaguars and Vikings took Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder at the eighth, 10th and 12th spots, respectively. The Bengals waited, taking A.J. Green fourth overall, and Andy Dalton in the second round. The Niners did the same, going with Aldon Smith at No. 7, and Colin Kaepernick one pick after Dalton. The Dolphins and Redskins punted entirely, respectively taking Mike Pouncey and Ryan Kerrigan in the first round of 2011 -- before both going QB in Round 1 the following year (Ryan Tannehill and Robert Griffin).

The Niners and Bengals, the teams that patiently waited until the second round, have made the playoffs every year since. The Titans, Jaguars and Vikings all have fired coaches.

The lesson here is not hard to learn.

Tempting as it might be to take a quarterback in the first round, clubs can be prone to manufacturing franchise players at the position when they aren't really there. And this could be another one of those years where the draft class is exceptionally strong -- as it was in 2011, given that 12 of the top 16 picks already have gone on to make a Pro Bowl -- but with serious questions hovering over the top guys at the most important position.

I don't see us taking a QB at 1.1. Still waiting on the rumor about us liking Robinson to pop up.
Old 03-25-2014   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
exactly. All these guys have talent. Lets see what OB can do with one or more of them for a year and if they don't pan out so what we weren't winning the super bowl this year anyway.

As far as I'm concerned this is a three year project. We should be patient and let the QB come to us. Draft heavily in the trenches so we have a strong team when he gets here.
This is my mindset. If O'Brien doesn't like the top guys enough to value them as 1st round worthy, then he shouldn't force it. We should pick the best player available that fits a need; not just at 1-1 but in every round. That shouldn't be too hard since, as pointed out in a different thread, we have many, many positions that need - let's just say - "upgrading".

Now to step off the soapbox and answer the hypothetical question. I'm stealing Bah007's list because he's got the QBs ranked like I have.
1. Bortles, Bridgewater
2. If we've picked a QB (or OLB) at 1-1, I want a OT here. If we've picked a OT at 1-1 then I want a defensive stud here. QB can wait one more round.
3. Garoppolo
4. Murray
5. Smith
6. Renner, Savage
7. Wenning (I don't know this guy but I trust bah's research)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #32
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to think we are going to draft Logan Thomas in the 4th.

Big prospect to sit behind Pickspatrick for a year.

OB seems like a size/speed/strength kind of guy and no-one is that more that Thomas.
Old 03-25-2014   #33
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This is my mindset. If O'Brien doesn't like the top guys enough to value them as 1st round worthy, then he shouldn't force it. We should pick the best player available that fits a need; not just at 1-1 but in every round. That shouldn't be too hard since, as pointed out in a different thread, we have many, many positions that need - let's just say - "upgrading".

Now to step off the soapbox and answer the hypothetical question. I'm stealing Bah007's list because he's got the QBs ranked like I have.
1. Bortles, Bridgewater
2. If we've picked a QB (or OLB) at 1-1, I want a OT here. If we've picked a OT at 1-1 then I want a defensive stud here. QB can wait one more round.
3. Garoppolo
4. Murray
5. Smith
6. Renner, Savage
7. Wenning (I don't know this guy but I trust bah's research)
There's a huge difference between being first ROUND worthy and being first PICK worthy. I think that's the problem with jumping the gun. Too many mid first picks available and none worth top five. Why waste the difference?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #34
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40895 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a site with an updated list of each team picks?

including compensatory and trades and whatever....
Old 03-25-2014   #35
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I see and read of the socalled "big three" QBs, the more I'm of the opinion that the QBs on the Texans Board at the beginning of the second round will be as talented and have as much NFL potential as the big three.
So therefor draft a non-QB position with the 1.1 if it can't be traded and take our QB with the 2.1.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #36
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

For months people have been mocking three or four QBs in the top 8 and I said that was crazy. I expect three guys to go in the 1st round. One in the top 6. Another before 16. And the last one in the 20s. Not sure about the order of the first two, but I do expect Manziel to be the last one selected.
Old 03-25-2014   #37
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

So that's a pretty specific call there bah007, but I like your style man. OK looks like you don't see Carr getting drafted in the first round, but see I gotta disagree with you because I think he is picked in the earliest round while I see Mettenberger, Garoppolo, and McCarron going in the 2nd round.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #38
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Is there a site with an updated list of each team picks?

including compensatory and trades and whatever....
Yes: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap20...itter_nfldraft

or

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/sto...en-round-order
Old 03-25-2014   #39
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

1 - Manziel
2 - Garoppolo
3 - Aaron Murray
Old 03-25-2014   #40
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
So that's a pretty specific call there bah007, but I like your style man. OK looks like you don't see Carr getting drafted in the first round, but see I gotta disagree with you because I think he is picked in the earliest round while I see Mettenberger, Garoppolo, and McCarron going in the 2nd round.
Not a popular opinion, I know. I think either Oakland takes Carr at the top of the 2nd or somebody trades up in front of them to get him (maybe with us?).

I think Garoppolo is taken mid/late 2nd, Mettenberger is taken late 2nd/early 3rd, and McCarron is taken late 3rd/early 4th.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read