Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2014   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Which QB do you take at 1-1, 2-1, or later (if at all)

OK, so with Matt Schaub in Oakland and Fitzpatrick having moved into Matt's locker on Kirby we pretty much can't imagine not taking a QB in this draft. Assuming that we don't get to trade down and that we're looking at picking at the top of each round then who do you take if the QB is picked first overall, 33rd overall, or "later".

1-1: It's safe to say that if we take one at 1-1 it will be one of Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel.

I'd prefer Blake Bortles in that scenario.

2-1: If we take Clowney in the first round it's also probably likely that Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel are gone by the time we pick.

If we draft a QB at 2-1 I take Zach Mettenberger

3-1 or later.... I don't know. I'd assume that if there was a guy still on the board at this point that we'd like then he'd probably be one of the QB's expected to go in the 2nd round who fell. That might work if either Mettenberger or Garoppolo fell down here. I don't know if I'd even bother with anyone else at this point though a 2014 campaign with Fitzpatrick doesn't really do much for me.

Anyone else?
Old 03-23-2014   #2
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 51498 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's nailed on we're taking Bortles at 1.1

I'd take Bridgewater, but I'm certain BOB wants Bortles.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which QB do you take at 1-1, 2-1, or later (if at all)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
OK, so with Matt Schaub in Oakland and Fitzpatrick having moved into Matt's locker on Kirby we pretty much can't imagine not taking a QB in this draft. Assuming that we don't get to trade down and that we're looking at picking at the top of each round then who do you take if the QB is picked first overall, 33rd overall, or "later".

1-1: It's safe to say that if we take one at 1-1 it will be one of Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel.

I'd prefer Blake Bortles in that scenario.

2-1: If we take Clowney in the first round it's also probably likely that Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel are gone by the time we pick.

If we draft a QB at 2-1 I take Zach Mettenberger

3-1 or later.... I don't know. I'd assume that if there was a guy still on the board at this point that we'd like then he'd probably be one of the QB's expected to go in the 2nd round who fell. That might work if either Mettenberger or Garoppolo fell down here. I don't know if I'd even bother with anyone else at this point though a 2014 campaign with Fitzpatrick doesn't really do much for me.

Anyone else?
I'm still in the Robinson or Clowney camp for 1.1. Just couldn't pull the trigger on one of the big three QB's. There are several QB's I would be happy with. I feel like I would rather build the trenches and strengthen the team this year while trying to develop a later round guy this year. Take our lumps like we will no matter what and see if OB can coach up a less touted but solid prospect. If it doesn't work out we are going to have a high pick next year to go after a top prospect with less question marks than these three and that QB will have a better overall team to lesson the burden.
Old 03-23-2014   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I didn't explain it well. I'm saying assume you have no control (like the way we all really have no control) and the Texans take a QB at 1-1 (which we all expect them to do). Who do you want it to be?

Then say they plan on grabbing one at 2-1 and not 1-1, which one do you hope they take there?

If no QB is taken in the first two rounds then is there a guy you would take later?
Old 03-23-2014   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

1-1 Bortles- Because that's what I think BOB's going to do.
2-1 Garappolo- Tomy Romo
3-1 Savage/Brett Smith/Murray

I think the value at QB isn't 1-1 this yr.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #6
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

@ 1-1: I would take either Bridgewater or Bortles. I wouldn't even contemplate taking Manziel.

@ 2-1: I would consider Garoppolo, Carr or Mettenberger. If Houston passes on a QB at 1-1, Garoppolo would be my #1 guy in round 2. He put up cartoonish numbers his senior season throwing for 5050 yards and 53 TD's.

@ 3-1 or later: I would be disappointed if Houston waited this long to address the QB situation, but I would be okay with A.J. McCarron, Aaron Murray or David Fales here.

@ 5-1 or later: These would just be projects that I wouldn't even consider starting right away, but I wouldn't mind the Texans drafting Logan Thomas, Brett Smith or Tom Savage..
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #7
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

1:1 - Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel
2:1 - Zach Mettenberger, Jimmy Garoppolo
3:1 - Derek Carr, AJ McCarron
4:1 - Aaron Murray
5:1 -
6:1 - David Fales, Tajh Boyd, Brett Smith, Tom Savage
7:1 - Logan Thomas
Old 03-23-2014   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

"I've never really thought Bridgewater was on the same level of consideration by the Texans as Bortles and Manziel..." -- John McClain on SiriusXM.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Blake Bortles, QB, UCF, 6050 232 - 1st - solid work ethic, willing to face any challenge.

Tom Savage, QB, Pitt, 6037 228 - 5th - taking Blake in 1st allows Texans to get fair value for 2nd QB option.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #10
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 51498 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess I didn't explain it well. I'm saying assume you have no control (like the way we all really have no control) and the Texans take a QB at 1-1 (which we all expect them to do). Who do you want it to be?

Then say they plan on grabbing one at 2-1 and not 1-1, which one do you hope they take there?

If no QB is taken in the first two rounds then is there a guy you would take later?
Thanks, got it now :-)

1. Bridgewater
2. Mettenberg
Don't really know any well enough beyond that
Old 03-23-2014   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

1-1: I'm Bridgewater, Bortles, then Manziel.

2-1: I'm Carr, Garoppolo (although I prefer Garoppolo in the 3rd).

3-1: I'm Mettenberger.

4-1: I'm McCarron, Boyd.

5-1: I'm Murray.

7-1: I'm Logan Thomas, Brett Smith, or Savage or whatever.

And of course, I'm open to taking any QB I listed AFTER the point I listed him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #12
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
1-1 Bortles- Because that's what I think BOB's going to do.
2-1 Garappolo- Tomy Romo
3-1 Savage/Brett Smith/Murray

I think the value at QB isn't 1-1 this yr.
yup
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #13
markn
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
"I've never really thought Bridgewater was on the same level of consideration by the Texans as Bortles and Manziel..." -- John McClain on SiriusXM.

zero[*zeer-oh ]noun [plural zeˇros, zeˇroes.]

1. the percentage chance that the Houston Texans will select Manziel with the first pick of the 2014 draft.

2. the number of times John McClain has been right about anything ever.
Old 03-23-2014   #14
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Presuming they screw up and take QB 1-1, I'd say Teddy Bridgewater because intelligence overcomes many physical challenges.

If they wait for 2-1, then I'd actually like to see Carr, though I know that would be an unpopular answer.

My preference is to wait for Garoppola at 3-1.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
1-1: I'm Bridgewater, Bortles, then Manziel.

2-1: I'm Carr, Garoppolo (although I prefer Garoppolo in the 3rd).

3-1: I'm Mettenberger.

4-1: I'm McCarron, Boyd.

5-1: I'm Murray.

7-1: I'm Logan Thomas, Brett Smith, or Savage or whatever.

And of course, I'm open to taking any QB I listed AFTER the point I listed him.
Good list! Put Savage in the 6th and Take Carr off the list and you have my list.
Old 03-23-2014   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
OK, so with Matt Schaub in Oakland and Fitzpatrick having moved into Matt's locker on Kirby we pretty much can't imagine not taking a QB in this draft.

Anyone else?
If we take one of the three with 1-1... I really don't have a preference. They've all got their strengths... weaknesses, pros & cons.

2-1, I prefer McCarron (if there were chatter about someone taking him in the first, I'd use 1-1 to take him). If his knee checks out, I wouldn't mind Murray.
Fales & Mettenberger used to be on my list here as well, but I've soured on them recently. I don't think Mettenberger understands ball placement as well as he should & his receivers impress me more & more every time I watch Mettenberger. Fales... I thought he was really smart, I thought he was very poised, & I liked his ability to think on the fly. Now... I don't know. I wouldn't mind getting Fales or Mett here, but I'm not targeting them.
3-1, if we hadn't taken a QB by now, of course I want McCarron or Murray if they're still there, but I don't want to take a chance that they might be. Garoppolo. If he's here. Like Mett & Fales, if we take Garoppolo in the second, I don't have a problem with that. But I wouldn't take him over McCarron or Murray.

4-1, if we hadn't taken a QB by now of course I'd be thrilled to get anyone I already mentioned. If they're all gone, I'm kinda mad. Tom Savage I suppose. Connor Shaw. Tajh Boyd. Jeff Matthews.

5th,

6th, Logan Thomas or Bryn Renner.
Old 03-23-2014   #17
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

If there is no clear cut 1 at QB then why even waste a pick on that position this year? This team is swiss cheese and it would probably be better to build up the other positions where the talent level is higher and just shoot for a QB next year. I'm already preparing for another misery ridden season, but as a Texan fan I'm used to those.

Winston, Mariota, kid from UCLA, Petty etc, etc, etc, ... just start to have their own allure considering all the questions regarding this years class.
Old 03-23-2014   #18
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
If there is no clear cut 1 at QB then why even waste a pick on that position this year? This team is swiss cheese and it would probably be better to build up the other positions where the talent level is higher and just shoot for a QB next year. I'm already preparing for another misery ridden season, but as a Texan fan I'm used to those.

Winston, Mariota, kid from UCLA, Petty etc, etc, etc, ... just start to have their own allure considering all the questions regarding this years class.
If Uncle Rico declared for the draft we wouldn't have the uncertainty that we apparently have with the #1 overall pick. Uncle Rico definitely has the arm for sure and the team definitely would've won state if he had started.

Seriously though, I also get the feeling that at this point the Texans are leaning towards Bortles. He had a good pro day or at least a better one than Bridgewater, but ultimately they have to make their decision based on game film. I'm on the draft the best QB bandwagon, but I'm not attached to any of these guys. So it wouldn't shock me at all if the Texans ended up drafting Manziel.
Old 03-23-2014   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

I'm with you, but I would like to hedge my bets with Smith/Jimmy G/Savage/Murray/McCarron in the 3rd/4th rd range.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #20
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
If Uncle Rico declared for the draft we wouldn't have the uncertainty that we apparently have with the #1 overall pick. Uncle Rico definitely has the arm for sure and the team definitely would've won state if he had started.

Seriously though, I also get the feeling that at this point the Texans are leaning towards Bortles. He had a good pro day or at least a better one than Bridgewater, but ultimately they have to make their decision based on game film. I'm on the draft the best QB bandwagon, but I'm not attached to any of these guys. So it wouldn't shock me at all if the Texans ended up drafting Manziel.
Bortles is going to cost some GM his job. I'm not completely against Manziel, he would inject a lot of enthusiasm into the team, marketing wise it would be a home run. But he's 5'11. I know height is a fickle argument against the guy, but me personally I couldnt pull the trigger, maybe the Texans do, which again wouldnt make me pull my hair out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read