Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Safety Kendrick Lewis

With this signing. I would not be surprised if we cut Manning.

Edit

Since Manning is still not 100% healthy, and has a decent sized contract.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Lewis was rated 52nd/85 Safetys overall in 2013 (>25% snaps) by PFF.

That would be ahead of Swearing and Keo and just behind Manning. (And ahead of Quintin Demps, KC) So below average. 2012 he was bottom 10.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Lewis was rated 52nd/85 Safetys overall in 2013 (>25% snaps) by PFF.

That would be ahead of Swearing and Keo and just behind Manning. (And ahead of Quintin Demps, KC)
And that includes a terrible 3 game stretch to end the season. Remember the bomb from Luck to TY in the playoffs, yea Lewis was responsible for that lol....hopefully Romeo gets him playing like he was in 2010 as a rookie with Romeo as his DC

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Lewis had numerous nagging lower limb injuries in his earlier career. But December 2011, he sustained a torn pectoral muscle and required major shoulder reconstructive surgery in January 2012 (likely other structures were involved). Later that year, in a preseason game, he re-injured that same shoulder (purportedly another type of injury) which did not go to surgery. However, he ended up missing 7 games during that season. Since this last re-injury, he has not resembled anywhere close to the player he was prior. Last year's pass defense and INTs have been quite contrasting to preinjury level. It's awfully difficult to PD and INT when you can't raise your arms quickly and fully. It would not surprise me if he has continued to rehab, trying to put off a necessary secondary surgery.

A study of NFL players demonstrated that despite surgery and prolonged rehab, a Grade III shoulder pectoral muscle tear (which is the only only that would typically require surgery) will leave a significant percentage of these players with significant strength deficits. Furthermore, additional limitations of range of motion may result.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If he keeps keo off the field I'm all for it. Please don't cut manning though.
I really thought they'd get rid of Manning, but so far he's still with us so maybe they are going to retain him. But as far as Keo goes, his days might be numbered. But then I might get fooled and they keep Keo and release Manning,
we'll see, but I don't think so ?

bah007

Hall of Fame
Small upgrade at S depth. He's the third best Safety on this roster.

Hopefully this spells the end for Keo.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
He's not a starting caliber talent (as he proved in KC) but he's a viable 3rd Safety and an upgrade on Keo.

Depends on the financials, but on the surface I like this move. Manning, Swearinger, & Lewis is a pretty decent Safety group.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
What would be the difference, I think the Texans D has played more without Manning than with due to injuries.

This may be a June 1st cut
Would there be any difference if he were a June 1st cut or not? This is the last year of his deal.

But yes, Manning makes this defense better.

_King_

I really doubt it. Without him, you're looking at an epically bad defense. He's off the books after this year anyway.
I don't think Lewis is coming here to accept the role of a back up and I don't thing dj is going anywhere.

I think we save 4 mil this year if we cut manning.

This is a crennel guy. He's young. Probably will be competing with a rookie for starting FS spot.

Manning was injured, older and he wasn't even all that when he was playing.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I don't think Lewis is coming here to accept the role of a back up and I don't thing dj is going anywhere.

I think we save 4 mil this year if we cut manning.

This is a crennel guy. He's young. Probably will be competing with a rookie for starting FS spot.

Manning was injured, older and he wasn't even all that when he was playing.
Agreed, Manning isn't "all that," but I would have to believe that he is better than Lewis at FS. Unless we plan on using the money Manning saves us this year, there's no point in cutting him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Agreed, Manning isn't "all that," but I would have to believe that he is better than Lewis at FS. Unless we plan on using the money Manning saves us this year, there's no point in cutting him.
Just looked and cutting Manning would save $4.5 million. Couldn't have gotten Byrd with that, but might get Thomas DeCoud.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Just looked and cutting Manning would save $4.5 million. Couldn't have gotten Byrd with that, but might get Thomas DeCoud.
Ehhhh, I don't know how worth it that would be, obviously depending on the contract. I don't expect to be competitive next year, so we are looking at a guy that is 30 when we start the 2015 season. I'm not against that move though.

Someone like Quin would be well worth it though. Oh yeah, we let the Lions do that deal.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Ehhhh, I don't know how worth it that would be, obviously depending on the contract. I don't expect to be competitive next year, so we are looking at a guy that is 30 when we start the 2015 season. I'm not against that move though.

Someone like Quin would be well worth it though. Oh yeah, we let the Lions do that deal.
I expect the Texans to be competitive next in 2014. The team has talent. Not at every position, but what team does?

IMO, the coaching changes will help this team overacheive in 2014.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I expect the Texans to be competitive next in 2014. The team has talent. Not at every position, but what team does?

I sure hope so. We really need to nail this draft, and the rookies that were injured last season need to show out.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Well, there goes the cap!!!!!:kitten:

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26

Free agent safety Kendrick Lewis gets a one-year contract from the Texans worth $795,000 which includes $100,000 guaranteed.

Makes it more likely Manning goes nowhere.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

Qb play between 2012 and now is to drastic. Defense is learning its idenity and the ol is a work in progress. We have talent sure, but no promises anywhere.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Every team has a sorry ass safety. We just signed someone else. On the bright side, someone signed Ed Reed so it balances out.

no way does manning get cut. his still a very solid contributor for this team.

i suspect that we'll go into the season with Manning, Swearinger, Keo, Lewis and pleseant as our safeties. which is pretty good really

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
How does Crennel handle the safties in his defense, who knows ? Does he have 2 clearly defined positions/roles where one is at the los, a box safety, playing a strong safety role while the other is a traditional FS (free safety) who's the centerfielder in the secondary. Or does he play it like Phillips where the 2 safety positions are very much interchangeable ?
Obviously DJ is more of a traditional SS, which always made his selection for Wade's defense a dubious one.