Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Marcus Smith- olb

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I would like to hear people thoughts on him before i go in on him. I think he one of the most underrated players in this draft. The texans fans on this board are looking for a relentless pass rushing olb. Well, he is the guy. He is one of the few de/olb who actualy rushed the passer from the 2 and 3 pt stance. He has long arms,big hands, and explosion. i do wish he tested out more flexible than what he did, but he did show speed to power and change of direction on tape.

I would like to hear people thoughts on him before i go in on him. I think he one of the most underrated players in this draft. The texans fans on this board are looking for a relentless pass rushing olb. Well, he is the guy. He is one of the few de/olb who actualy rushed the passer from the 2 and 3 pt stance. He has long arms,big hands, and explosion. i do wish he tested out more flexible than what he did, but he did show speed to power and change of direction on tape.

I like him alot and think that your absolutely correct that he is overlooked/underrated. I'd have no problem if the Texans took him as I think he has the size and speed to play OLB for us. I think he's probably a mid to late 2nd round pick. I like Marcus and Telvin Smith at 3.1

Late 2nd round grade from me. #8 pure pass rusher on my board.

Give me your best evaluation, little more info requested.

I know just picked him up late 3rd & several GM's in Kentucky where there for more than just Bridgewater, several HC pulled Marcus aside, he excelled standing up in OLB drills, seems scheme diverse.

Every year there are draft surprises, I would say early 2nd to Oakland but what do I know, I'm no one.

Late 2nd round grade from me. #8 pure pass rusher on my board.

Who are the other 7 ahead of him in terms of pass rush? Personally, I think he and dee ford are the best pure pass rushers. They are the kind of guys who beat guys not only with effort,but also with speed and hand fighting. He's also the kind of guy who understands stunt decoy to speed schemes. Meaning, he knows when to allow the stunt to develop ,then blast through for sacks. He doesn't get caught in the wash on a stunt. Smith is also adept at keeping guys off his legs and bursting. Smith also plays in coverage with a purpose. He doesn't drop just because that's the play and he's waiting on pass rush chances. He drops,keeps his head on a swivel,get into windows and with his arm length and size plays passing lanes well.

Here is the pickle,if you can call it that. I have hime from 48-68 or basically mid 2nd to mid 3rd. If he is the 2nd or 3rd best pass rusher and he's in that range,if the texans can't move down,do the draft him at 2.1? I don't think he's gonna be there at 3.1.

I like him alot and think that your absolutely correct that he is overlooked/underrated. I'd have no problem if the Texans took him as I think he has the size and speed to play OLB for us. I think he's probably a mid to late 2nd round pick. I like Marcus and Telvin Smith at 3.1

Telvin is too small to play in the 3-4 unless you're gonna try him at safety.

I know just picked him up late 3rd & several GM's in Kentucky where there for more than just Bridgewater, several HC pulled Marcus aside, he excelled standing up in OLB drills, seems scheme diverse.

Every year there are draft surprises, I would say early 2nd to Oakland but what do I know, I'm no one.

I like his frame, even though most see him as a tweener. Long arms. Very quick off the ball. I wouldn't call him strong but he's strong enough to catch an OT off guard with a bull rush. Underrated athlete. I think people think he's bigger than he really is so his athleticism surprises them. Louisville moved him around a lot so he's good at coming from different angles. Solid against the run.

He doesn't have a variety of pass rush moves but he is good at mixing up what he does have. He has a good first step but I don't think he's that quick getting around the edge. Most of his highlight plays come from stunts, not outside pressure. If he's playing OLB I don't like him in coverage very often. He's okay at best.

Who are the other 7 ahead of him in terms of pass rush? Personally, I think he and dee ford are the best pure pass rushers. They are the kind of guys who beat guys not only with effort,but also with speed and hand fighting. He's also the kind of guy who understands stunt decoy to speed schemes. Meaning, he knows when to allow the stunt to develop ,then blast through for sacks. He doesn't get caught in the wash on a stunt. Smith is also adept at keeping guys off his legs and bursting. Smith also plays in coverage with a purpose. He doesn't drop just because that's the play and he's waiting on pass rush chances. He drops,keeps his head on a swivel,get into windows and with his arm length and size plays passing lanes well.

Here is the pickle,if you can call it that. I have hime from 48-68 or basically mid 2nd to mid 3rd. If he is the 2nd or 3rd best pass rusher and he's in that range,if the texans can't move down,do the draft him at 2.1? I don't think he's gonna be there at 3.1.

I think I misspoke. I don't think he is the eighth-best pass rusher. I think that he is #8 in overall talent among guys that I designate as pass rushers, i.e. strictly 43 DEs/34 OLBs.

1. Clowney
2. Ealy
3. Tuitt
4. Martin
5. Murphy
6. Chris Smith
7. Crichton

I have Mack, Barr, Van Noy, and Ford all rated higher as well. But I list them in a separate group as I think they all have the ability to play a somewhat traditional LB depending on scheme, which I don't think Smith can do.

I like his frame, even though most see him as a tweener. Long arms. Very quick off the ball. I wouldn't call him strong but he's strong enough to catch an OT off guard with a bull rush. Underrated athlete. I think people think he's bigger than he really is so his athleticism surprises them. Louisville moved him around a lot so he's good at coming from different angles. Solid against the run.

He doesn't have a variety of pass rush moves but he is good at mixing up what he does have. He has a good first step but I don't think he's that quick getting around the edge. Most of his highlight plays come from stunts, not outside pressure. If he's playing OLB I don't like him in coverage very often. He's okay at best.

Didn't look like a bender to me in the couple of games I've watched so far?

I like Marcus a lot but he didn't fit my teams in the mock draft. (4-3 teams) I took over the Jets too late.

If Bortles is 1-1 I could get on board with Smith at 3-1.

I think I misspoke. I don't think he is the eighth-best pass rusher. I think that he is #8 in overall talent among guys that I designate as pass rushers, i.e. strictly 43 DEs/34 OLBs.

1. Clowney
2. Ealy
3. Tuitt
4. Martin
5. Murphy
6. Chris Smith
7. Crichton

I have Mack, Barr, Van Noy, and Ford all rated higher as well. But I list them in a separate group as I think they all have the ability to play a somewhat traditional LB depending on scheme, which I don't think Smith can do.

I've got Crichton as my #4 pass rusher, including the OLB's you listed.

Seeing how everybody's boards differ is one of the things I like most about the TT Mock Draft.

Seeing how everybody's boards differ is one of the things I like most about the TT Mock Draft.

Your so right. I have Marcus graded higher than Chris, only time will tell. FYI, never seen direct contact between numerous head coaches with a 3rd rounder before @ Pro Day which tells you something.

Crihcton is what I call an attrition rusher. He will get sacks due to coverage or just battling until the qb tries to leave the pocket. To me, he's not a guy who can just whip the guy in front of him and get the qb. I said the same about brooks reed. I wanted the kid who went to kc because he was more of a natural,powerful guy vs reed the effort guy.

Crihcton is what I call an attrition rusher. He will get sacks due to coverage or just battling until the qb tries to leave the pocket. To me, he's not a guy who can just whip the guy in front of him and get the qb. I said the same about brooks reed. I wanted the kid who went to kc because he was more of a natural,powerful guy vs reed the effort guy.

I wanted Justin Houston at the time too. The owner probably wouldn't sign off on Houston and the result is the Texans are still looking for a pass rusher opposite Watt. Maybe the owner has learned his lesson. (I doubt it)

I like Marcus Smith a lot too.

I kinda get what your saying, it would seem that way, but OSU does not have SEC talent so Crichton was kicked inside. He has a high motor & will work free if you want to call it attrition, but he is quicker than fast, strong punch, use to dealing w/double teams, next level may actually be a break for him. I think he is a natural 3-4 OLB like Shawn Merriman but clean. He is way more powerful @ the point than Brooks Reed, he is a better athlete than you think, someone will get one hell of a football player when they draft him.

Your so right. I have Marcus graded higher than Chris, only time will tell. FYI, never seen direct contact between numerous head coaches with a 3rd rounder before @ Pro Day which tells you something.

It tells me he will probably be gone in the 2nd!

I kinda get what your saying, it would seem that way, but OSU does not have SEC talent so Crichton was kicked inside. He has a high motor & will work free if you want to call it attrition, but he is quicker than fast, strong punch, use to dealing w/double teams, next level may actually be a break for him. I think he is a natural 3-4 OLB like Shawn Merriman but clean. He is way more powerful @ the point than Brooks Reed, he is a better athlete than you think, someone will get one hell of a football player when they draft him.

He was on sirius a couple of days ago and in so many words,he wants no part of standing up. That's not a knock because jared allen is the same way. Its very unsettling for him. On tape,I saw him running past teammates in pursuit of the football which is good. I just don't see him quick,fast,or explosive enough to beat nfl lineman who recover. He will give u everything and especially on st,but its gonna be tough for him in any scheme as a pass rusher. Jmo

Marcus Smith was on Sirius again and my thoughts about him are being validated. Dude was describing route concepts that were far and beyond what most de/olb from college will relate to. Part of this is because he was a qb when he 1st got to louisville. His knowledge about teasers and such on the route tree makes me think about the versitility he can have as a chess piece in RAC defense.

One must remember the regime values smart,productive,versitile players all over the field. Bruschi,vrabel,and willie were all college de's. Smith seems like a player who can not only play olb,but also ilb and basically move all over the field. He's great at stunting from either ilb or olb. In coverage,he's really good also. Again, its a matter of where,but as we keep the process going,he's climbing to early 2nd/late 1st.

Marcus Smith was on Sirius again and my thoughts about him are being validated. Dude was describing route concepts that were far and beyond what most de/olb from college will relate to. Part of this is because he was a qb when he 1st got to louisville. His knowledge about teasers and such on the route tree makes me think about the versitility he can have as a chess piece in RAC defense.

One must remember the regime values smart,productive,versitile players all over the field. Bruschi,vrabel,and willie were all college de's. Smith seems like a player who can not only play olb,but also ilb and basically move all over the field. He's great at stunting from either ilb or olb. In coverage,he's really good also. Again, its a matter of where,but as we keep the process going,he's climbing to early 2nd/late 1st.

Do you happen to have a link to either of his appearances on Sirius?

Back