Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-29-2014   #21
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston elected as President of the NFL Players Association

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Quote:
NFLPA president Eric Winston signed a one-year deal with Seattle Seahawks
Old 07-29-2014   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Poor, poor Wilson.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Poor, poor Wilson.
Poor Wilson .... but Skittles should be happy.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

They mentioned on the radio that Winston has started 16 games every season since he was drafted in 2007. The dude is like a cat and always seems to land on his feet.

Good luck with the Seahawks, EW!
Old 07-29-2014   #25
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno why so long to get a contract, his skills diminished that much or are teams that concerned about having an outspoken player advocate & NFLPA union Prez in the LR ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I dunno why so long to get a contract, his skills diminished that much or are teams that concerned about having an outspoken player advocate & NFLPA union Prez in the LR ?
That... or he never was that good to begin with. We didn't "see it" because he wasn't the worst player on our 46 man roster. Pretty good run blocker, especially on the play-side. Average to poor everywhere else.

The worst part of it all is that he never seemed too concerned with getting better.
Old 07-31-2014   #27
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never understood the undying love for Winston. There's a reason he keeps getting cut after a year. He's OK. The other teams upgraded or spent less on RT. We just downgraded and spent less lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2014   #28
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I've never understood the undying love for Winston. There's a reason he keeps getting cut after a year. He's OK. The other teams upgraded or spent less on RT. We just downgraded and spent less lol.
He's only been cut after one year once - with the Chiefs. He was with the Texans for 6 years, and he only signed a one year contract with the Cardinals, so he wasn't actually cut there.
Old 08-01-2014   #29
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i really dont think winston is as bad as some claim. he certainly had holes in his game, but compared to the other right tackles i see each week he was one of the better players. i'd love to hear what coaches and managers really think, because i get the feeling that there's more than what he does on the field that is turning teams away. is it what many have called being a "locker room lawyer" that is putting teams off? a poor work ethic, focused on his roles after his playing career? is he asking for more than he's worth? or is he just not good enough?
Old 08-01-2014   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i really dont think winston is as bad as some claim. he certainly had holes in his game, but compared to the other right tackles i see each week he was one of the better players. i'd love to hear what coaches and managers really think, because i get the feeling that there's more than what he does on the field that is turning teams away. is it what many have called being a "locker room lawyer" that is putting teams off? a poor work ethic, focused on his roles after his playing career? is he asking for more than he's worth? or is he just not good enough?
As you said he is not as bad as folks make out. He was only in KC for a year because there was a regime and system change when Crennel got canned. AZ was always a temp gig.
Old 08-01-2014   #31
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...there's more than what he does on the field that is turning teams away.
Winston was a) pricing himself out of the the market unless b) he got a chance to win a ring.

Seattle had a talent/experience void at RT.
Old 08-01-2014   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yep. I don't get the hate toward the guy, but it could be a reaction to his media presence.

He was certainly better than 2013 Derek Newton.
Old 08-01-2014   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yep. I don't get the hate toward the guy, but it could be a reaction to his media presence.

He was certainly better than 2013 Derek Newton.
If we cut Derek Newton, I doubt anyone would pick him up... so in that respect, yeah. Winston is good enough that he's managed to stay in the league 8 seasons?? as a starter & will probably stick around many years as a back up.

However, I'm glad we had Newton in 2013. With Newton, there's no doubt that we have to address the RT position. The Texans didn't address it as aggressively as many of us hoped, but... that's another story.

With Winston, he would have been "good enough" & that's not good enough.

& Yeah, perhaps there is a little more venom in my rhetoric than is deserved, but he was so overhyped when he was here & it's only been tempered a bit since he left.
Old 08-01-2014   #34
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we cut Derek Newton, I doubt anyone would pick him up... so in that respect, yeah. Winston is good enough that he's managed to stay in the league 8 seasons?? as a starter & will probably stick around many years as a back up.

However, I'm glad we had Newton in 2013. With Newton, there's no doubt that we have to address the RT position. The Texans didn't address it as aggressively as many of us hoped, but... that's another story.

With Winston, he would have been "good enough" & that's not good enough.

& Yeah, perhaps there is a little more venom in my rhetoric than is deserved, but he was so overhyped when he was here & it's only been tempered a bit since he left.
I'm pretty sure another team would take Newton pretty quickly. Despite his ability level from last year, he has a lot of game experience.

But I think we'll see a better RT this year with Newton.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #35
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I think it's pretty clear that he's not the player he once was. The years have taken their toll. Winston was one of the better performing athletic OL to perform at the NFL Combine. He has lost his speed and lateral quickness. Or as they like to say, he's a step slower. He's restructured knee may be giving out.

Last edited by Texian; 08-01-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #36
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Seahawks doing that Eagles thing...

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez
Quote:
Source tells @FOXSports that @Seahawks have signed 11-year veteran Wade Smith formerly of the @HoustonTexans
Old 08-04-2014   #37
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

ZBS guys since Seattle runs that a lot.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read