Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2014   #41
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans sign DT Jerrell Powe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
For those who love "Men of Girth" it's a happy day. However there will be those who see this as another step backwards.
Old 03-19-2014   #42
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
There have been many stories floating around about him not being able to read. This is hog wash. The truth is that he supposedly did not learn to read until his senior year in high school due to dyslexia. He continued to have related academic problems in attempts to enter college due to this problem along with an associated diagnosis of adhd. Then he found Dyslexia Haven in a school that can't even spell its own name correctly........Ole Miss.

Ole Miss Football Players Don't Read So Good
I'm afraid if this were Jimmy Johnson's team we would've to hit Ole Jimmy Johnson in the head with a hammer.
Old 03-19-2014   #43
MasterCush
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 MasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame BallotMasterCush is on the Hall of Fame Ballot

Daymn thats a big boy
MasterCush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #44
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i do so love oversized nose tackles. ted "Mt." washington is my hero, i especially enjoyed back when teams tried to list him under 350lbs. there's probably not a whole lot to powe, but like others have said he was a high ceiling player coming out of college who has the bulk and strength to wall at the line of scrimmage. having low mileage for his position and almost no injury history are a big bonus. being a romeo crennell player who he apparently wants back, i'm kinda excited - though i'm sure powe is little more than a goalline and situational rotation.

bottom line, a needed piece of depth. one that hopefully came at the minimum.
Old 03-19-2014   #45
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he's ready for this houston heat and humidity.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #46
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Three different positions.

An NT like this is going to be in the base defense and goal line defense but he's going to be off the field in passing situations. Besides that, this guy is probably just rotational.

If we go Clowney, expect Clowney to play OLB and maybe put his hand on the ground as a DE during passing situations. JJ will play DE or DT... whatever he wants, whenever he wants.
So Crennel will have his defense in a traditional 2-gap, 3-4 alignment when they are anticipating a rushing play, but in the passing situations in a nickle or dime how does the "gap responsibility" change for the remaining down
linemen ? Still 2-gap or more of a penetrating 1-gap alignment as in Wade's defense ?
And Clowney is versatile and strong enough against the run that if needed he could probably actually play a 2-gap DE if the situation required that skill from time to time.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #47
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Isn't that quote in your signature by Kate's partner?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086742/
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2014   #48
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's just hope he doesn't fall on any of our QBs during practice.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #49
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i may be talking out of my rear end, but given the options we have, i dont think we have to be tied to a "traditional" system. romeo wants a 350lb nose which is a 2-gap, while having a 1-gap inside GOAT candidate, and question marks on the other end and outside. it wouldnt be impossible to employ penetrating DE's around a wall at nose. also, with watt's insane talent he's going to be double teamed regardless of the rest of the line, so a traditional heavy at the other DE position would still work.

we could go a more a blended 4-3 over base with 2 heavies, watt and a speed on one side and a speed on the other. if we take someone like clowney, we could got a more traditional 4-3 with he and watt on the ends, or even putting watt inside next to a heavy.

i spent a lot of time worrying about how everybody would fit, until i started fitting everybody. if i can scheme each possibility, i have no doubt romeo can make the most of the personnel he has to work with.

that being said, if he goes "kubiak" and decides his system trumps the personnel, we're all going to be in trouble.
Old 03-19-2014   #50
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I hope he's ready for this houston heat and humidity.
he's from Mississippi
Old 03-19-2014   #51
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
So Crennel will have his defense in a traditional 2-gap, 3-4 alignment when they are anticipating a rushing play, but in the passing situations in a nickle or dime how does the "gap responsibility" change for the remaining down
linemen ? Still 2-gap or more of a penetrating 1-gap alignment as in Wade's defense ?
And Clowney is versatile and strong enough against the run that if needed he could probably actually play a 2-gap DE if the situation required that skill from time to time.
We're going to have to wait and see. OB (and RAC to some degree) have both indicated that we're going to be scheme diverse. I wouldn't be surprised if gap responsibilities are more flexible than with Wade: sometimes 1 gap, sometimes 2 gap. But I expect him to prefer that 2-gap man-mountain NT to get more action on perceived running downs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #52
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Fattie fat fat fat!

Good depth signing. Now bring in Terrance Cody and really raise the locker room cholesterol level.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #53
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he's from Mississippi
Yep. He played all through HS and college in Mississippi (except 1 in Virginia [Hargrave Military Academy]) in hot, humid environments. He also has a history of maintaining very good conditioning status. Virtually all big NTs naturally wear down near the end of games if they are not judiciously used, either by prudent choice of plays in which they are inserted, or by having a rotational partner.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #54
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he's from Mississippi
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/39367
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/77002
http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...est-cities.php
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c485.html
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ph...p#photo-938825

I know where he's from.

He's also been in Kansas city for a while. Spent time in Pennsylvania and Virgina.

I remember when I was in college playing ball in Florida. Now it was north Florida (south Georgia), but I remember everyone talking about how hot it was going to be...

I'd been playing football in Houston my whole life.
It felt pleasant to me in that heat.

But when you come back to Houston...You feel it.

I'm just saying...Dude is 330+ lbs...Houston heat is Houston heat. Even if you live in Houston...It's still....Houston heat..Especially for big fat guys...
Old 03-19-2014   #55
_King_
All Pro

Jerell Powe on 610 NOW
Old 03-19-2014   #56
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 72899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
fify

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #57
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

conventional two gap nt's generally have more patties on their cheeseburgers than stats since they (are supposed to) free up other players who farm stats. Welcome aboard.

clog the middle like you clog your arteries! - my proposed Bullpen chant for the new regime (with special thanks to RC).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I remember several of us had this guy in our mock drafts 3 yrs. ago when we wanted a true NT. He's got optimum NT size and low mileage only having played in 12 games in his 3 yrs. in the league. I like the signing. Many players get better with their 2nd team more-so than their 1st since he now has some NFL experience and he'll be coming to a new city and coaching staff. I actually think he'll be our starter at NT and that we'll pickup a 5th or 6th round NT to rotate with Powe.
Agree. He dropped on most boards & probably was not helped being drafted by Chiefs as he sat behind Kelly Gregg and later lost out to Dontari Poe another of "my" guys. This is another selection to address a need, whether he turns out to be a starter or a backup, we need this type player. My concern with him out of college was his age (24).
He has arms of 33 1/4.

Ryan Carrethers in 5th settles that spot. Now let's get a Mays type LB.
Old 03-19-2014   #59
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cheap. Kind of figured the Texans would be signing cheap, one year contract in the free agency. Not sure what "split salary" means.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider
Texans one-year deal for Jerrell Powe: $645,000, split salary
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #60
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Cheap. Kind of figured the Texans would be signing cheap, one year contract in the free agency. Not sure what "split salary" means.
I'll take that.

If he shows he can play we'll pay the man, if not, sayonara.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read