Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2014   #21
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Random thought: Do you think Hopkins could net us a 1 in trade?

Yeah, I don`t know why we should let Hopkins go already. He showed plenty potential and with better QB and O-Line play should turn into a pretty good WR. If we could get a first rounder it would be a low first rounder, and those guys have potential, but they haven`t proven anything yet.

I love Watkins - but I consider him a luxury pick. WR might be one of the the least important position to have an elite prospect. In the last 10 years which super bowl winner had a top 5 WR?

So, let`s keep Hopkins and maybe try to trade out of the #1 spot to grab another first rounder...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #22
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
A little "consistency" from the QB position wouldn't hurt either.
That too.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 175365 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

In my plans as GM for Texans (cough) AJ, Hopkins and Sammy Watkins gives our new QB Garoppolo great weapons. Now if I can just find way to draft Carlos Hyde to back Foster. May have to go with Terrance West in 4th.
Old 03-19-2014   #24
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
In my plans as GM for Texans (cough) AJ, Hopkins and Sammy Watkins gives our new QB Garoppolo great weapons. Now if I can just find way to draft Carlos Hyde to back Foster. May have to go with Terrance West in 4th.
Ozzie Newsome...? is that you?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uh oh... we are moving in very similar directions...

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #26
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

At least half of first round picks dont work out.

We have a good player and a good professional type guy in Hopkins. I think he has a bright future. He is a known commodity. Why trade that away for another gamble?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #27
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you think Hopkins could net us a 1 in trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I had considered this trading Hopkins thing just a few days ago. If we could somehow net a 1st which seems unlikely, but if we could, we'd be free to use our #1 pick on perhaps the best player on the board in Sammy Watkins and have the same result.

But i like Nuk too much to part with him for anything less than a 1st.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It was just a thought that briefly skipped across my mind. Having that second 1 would be what made it work. I regard Watkins as much better than Hopkins and so I'd let Hopkins go, possibly even Hopkins and Foster as thunderkyss mentioned. We're drawing to the close of Foster's prime anyway and it's not like RB's are all that hard to find anyway.

I guess the same thing that makes many of us not all that worried about letting go of Hopkins for a deal like this keeps him from being worth what we'd need to get out of him to do a deal like this. He wasn't bad at all but he didn't really knock anyone out with his 2013 performance. The way the season went I have trouble holding that against him but I guess if I was planning on parting with a 1 to get him then I'd want to see better than what he's shown so far.

Still Porky that's just ridiculous. a 3rd if anything? Come on!
Hopkins has shown to step up in big situations and win games. In college he would single handedly beat teams, LSU game is a great example. He showed that same instinct when we played Tennessee to give us one our two wins. No we are fine with him here, lets move on to the next subject.
Old 03-19-2014   #28
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It would be great if we got Watkins. We would be set at WR for another 12+ years
Old 03-19-2014   #29
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Were you touching yourself inappropriately as you wrote this? Because you should have been.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #30
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 29715 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Last I checked, Hopkins' 3 of 4 year contract is guaranteed. Trading him away would net a $3 million loss towards the cap. 2016 would the earliest you could do anything with him.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #31
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I like that car way of thinking

Hop already gots a year under his belt teams will what him at a used price so best u could get is a 2nd I would bet

I think it could be done getting a #1 but the team would have to realllyyyyyy like him

I was also thinkin if we got Watkins we would def have the best WR CORE in the NFL .... then we might has well grab Boyd in the 3rd and be the Clemson of Houston LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #32
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Were you touching yourself inappropriately as you wrote this? Because you should have been.
What is this "inappropriately" you speak of?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I think the idea of need vs BPA is really not really the case. It is normally a combination and teams lean one direction versus the other, but in the perfect these meet up. Well, the Texans don't draft in a perfect world like we don't live in one.

I agree that more mistakes are made overdrafting for need than best player , but based on the draft board of 2013 Hopkins was not over drafted in any way. He played okay enough overall and was better than the other number 2 WR the Texans ran out in previous years. Just because this years draft has more similar level players does not mean that the 2013 pick was wrong. Teams have enough trouble getting the current year's board right, if you think some team has a true feel for the 2015 draft enough not to take ------ player or ---- position in 2014, I had those lottery numbers for tonight also.

There are other examples of need drafting from last year (see both 3rd round picks) way worth more criticism than Hopkins.
Stills/Rodgers who I mocked to the Texans represented much greater value in the 5th/UDFA vs Hopkins in the 1st. You think that Kiko Alonso might look pretty good in the Texans LB corps about now?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd love to see AJ mentor a future tandem of Watkins and Hopkins. Re-sign Watkins when his contract expires and let the overrated Hopkins go fetch his 'big' contract with somebody else. AJ can play a mean situational possession wr at the end of his career ala Boldin....and then all we have to do is kick back and watch this trio light up the NFL for the next 3-4 seasons.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #35
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Stills/Rodgers who I mocked to the Texans represented much greater value in the 5th/UDFA vs Hopkins in the 1st. You think that Kiko Alonso might look pretty good in the Texans LB corps about now?
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...highlight=kffl

I can the mock game too, but I am not sure that it helps with the analysis of what the Texans did

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...highlight=kffl

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read