Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2014   #141
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Texans and Raiders in Serious Trade Talk for Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
If there is, I hoping our boy Watt can get him in line.

There is no QB this year worth the #1 pick. Clowney is worth the #1 pick.
Very true. Even AJ, even from the other side of the ball, could show him a thing or two about being more locker room-friendly (if a problem existed).

I certainly won't fret if they get Clowney, though I've noticed my opinion has changed quite a lot this offseason about draft strategy...lol.
Old 03-21-2014   #142
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Any thoughts on Clowney's perceived attitude (thinks he's too big for his britches)?
Both Mario and Peppers were thought to be guys who took plays off/lacked a "motor", but then they went 1.1 & 1.2 respectively the years they were drafted. Then during their NFL careers they were also thought to take plays off/ lacked a motor, but in FA Mario brought more money than any defensive player ever and Peppers, near social security age, just signed his second big contract as a FA.
Being a big-time pass-rusher is not a simple commodity, it's a very highly valued and scarce talent that NFL teams are willing to pay vast sums of money for no matter if the player lacks a full time motor or has a high-opinion of himself.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #143
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
What will i do with my schaub jersey now?
As soon as Blake Bortles is drafted the Houston Chronicle will come out with an illustrated tutorial on how to modify your already modified David Carr/Matt Schaub jersey to the #5 and to the name "BORTLES".

Anyone who actually does it though should be mocked mercilessly because that's just cheap as hell.

That's all of course unless Bortles announces an unexpected change to #8
Old 03-21-2014   #144
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It means more of a cap hit this year and none next year. People vary on whether that is better.
Since the entire team will be learning a new system this year.. I'll say taking the hit now and being free and clear next year is a lot better.. Especially since we'll have to resign Watt.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #145
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Both Mario and Peppers were thought to be guys who took plays off/lacked a "motor", but then they went 1.1 & 1.2 respectively the years they were drafted. Then during their NFL careers they were also thought to take plays off/ lacked a motor, but in FA Mario brought more money than any defensive player ever and Peppers, near social security age, just signed his second big contract as a FA.
Being a big-time pass-rusher is not a simple commodity, it's a very highly valued and scarce talent that NFL teams are willing to pay vast sums of money for no matter if the player lacks a full time motor or has a high-opinion of himself.
No doubt. It wasn't his ability or it's value I was asking gwallaia about.
Old 03-21-2014   #146
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both Mario and Peppers were thought to be guys who took plays off/lacked a "motor", but then they went 1.1 & 1.2 respectively the years they were drafted.
Neither was accused of taking a season off.

But this discussion goes in the draft forum. Please take it over there.
Old 03-21-2014   #147
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 20662 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
As soon as Blake Bortles is drafted the Houston Chronicle will come out with an illustrated tutorial on how to modify your already modified David Carr/Matt Schaub jersey to the #5 and to the name "BORTLES".

Anyone who actually does it though should be mocked mercilessly because that's just cheap as hell.

That's all of course unless Bortles announces an unexpected change to #8
Lol. I was just kidding about owning a schaub jersey. Only jersey I own is #80.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2014   #148
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good news! It was time for the Texans to move in a different direction. I hope Schaub takes the division from Denver.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #149
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
Lol. I was just kidding about owning a schaub jersey. Only jersey I own is #80.
I got #80.. and #99
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #150
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

More from the earlier reports

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h
Cleveland expressed some interest in Matt Schaub, who could have been reunited with Kyle Shanahan, but Oakland wanted Schaub even more.

Quote:
Sean Pendergast ‏@SeanCablinasian 1h
Schaub-trade cap "savings" of $4M (give or take) are about a wash after you fill his void with Fitzpatrick and his $3.37M cap figure in '14.
LOL

Quote:
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 1h
The Raiders' best hope in the Schaub deal is that the draft pick traded will be returned for a touchdown.
Old 03-21-2014   #151
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
No doubt. It wasn't his ability or it's value I was asking gwallaia about.
You did say something about "thinks he's too big for his britches", right ?
But why is that a problem ? I think most of the really successful guys in the NFL have very, very healthy egos. On the Texans, no doubt that both Watt & Cushing are hotdogs to some degree. And some of the best QBs like Brady and Rogers are very self-centered from what I read. I want my best players to
have an attitude about their own abilities, to think and believe they are the best.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #152
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Rick Smith with a helluva move. Will he get love for it?
Nope.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
Quote:
It's agreed to, yes. RT @joestewwood @AlbertBreer Has the Schaub deal gone through?

Also, Matt Schaub's contract calls for $13.5 million in 2015 and $15.5 million in 2016.

Cap ramifications ... Oakland would carry $11M (base + roster bonuses) for Schaub in '14. Houston saves $4M, with $10.5M in dead $ in '14.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #153
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
This wasn't Smith, it was Raider desperation.

He still sucks ...
Spouting guesses like they are facts is fun!
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #154
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I figured they were trying to get Cle and Oak to bid for Schaub...
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #155
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
You did say something about "thinks he's too big for his britches", right ?
But why is that a problem ? I think most of the really successful guys in the NFL have very, very healthy egos. On the Texans, no doubt that both Watt & Cushing are hotdogs to some degree. And some of the best QBs like Brady and Rogers are very self-centered from what I read. I want my best players to
have an attitude about their own abilities, to think and believe they are the best.
(sigh) I asked another poster his opinion about a perceived problem. He answered it. Are you OK with that?
Old 03-21-2014   #156
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64484 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Spouting guesses like they are facts is fun!
Knowing the difference between a guess and an opinion is a decent trait ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #157
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
So is it better for us to trade instead of making him a June 1 cut from a salary cap perspective?
Depends on how you want to look at it.

One thing though, we get a draft pick. May be a 6th, may be a 7th... but if this pick gets bundled with some other asset to improve our team in the future.... say our 3rd plus this pick for Mallet, or our second, this pick, & Case Keenum to move up to the 27th pick... whatever...

Even if we use it to draft Tom Savage I think it's better than whatever additional space we were going to free up & most likely not use.
Old 03-21-2014   #158
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Nope.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
Nor should he until he makes better use of his draft picks!
Old 03-21-2014   #159
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I got #80.. and #99
I've got two #8s..... A Carr & A Schaub

I've got a #12... Jacoby Jones

A #23..... Foster (it used to say Fostre, but thank God my wife knows her way around a needle & thread)

I've got a cheap Reebok #80....

probably get a #56 this year. Maybe a #5

Old 03-21-2014   #160
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I said it once and I'll say it again, good bye forever Matt and Gary. Excellent start to a Friday.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read