Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2014   #81
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Texans and Raiders in Serious Trade Talk for Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
With all the previous comments and discussion, it never even entered my mind that "renegotiation" could be interpreted as meaning "renegotiate for less money".
Signed,
Matt Schaub's agent
Old 03-17-2014   #82
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

For Schaub a trade to Oakland is good. Either way he gets his guaranteed money, but in Oakland, he still gets the money owed per the contract. He would get 10 mill from the Texans(as guaranteed money) plus his per game and other bonuses. If he was cut he would get less since the per game and bonus money will certainly be much less.

Outside of needing to spend big $, I am not sure why Oakland would want him but a trade makes sense for Schuab and the Texans.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #83
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
For Schaub a trade to Oakland is good. Either way he gets his guaranteed money, but in Oakland, he still gets the money owed per the contract. He would get 10 mill from the Texans(as guaranteed money) plus his per game and other bonuses. If he was cut he would get less since the per game and bonus money will certainly be much less.
Schaub doesn't have any guaranteed money left on his deal. If he were to be cut by the Texans, they would owe Schaub zilch. The unamortized portion of his signing bonus would be due on the cap, however. That's accounting, not "real money".
Old 03-17-2014   #84
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Outside of needing to spend big $, I am not sure why Oakland would want him but a trade makes sense for Schuab and the Texans.
I think Oakland wants him because they don't plan on taking a QB #5 overall and want a vet in place instead. Schaub would likely be the top QB on the market if cut, but he probably wouldn't choose Oakland as his destination.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #85
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I think Oakland wants him because they don't plan on taking a QB #5 overall and want a vet in place instead. Schaub would likely be the top QB on the market if cut, but he probably wouldn't choose Oakland as his destination.
And after two 4-12 seasons GM might be feeling some heat to show improvement or lose his job.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #86
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I have this mental picture of Matt Schaub wearing the Black & Silver with that unshaved shadow look he was sporting toward the end of the season here. He runs out on the field with an uncharacteristic swagger and a steely look on in his eyes that we Texans fans wouldn't recognize. This is a Matt Schaub with something to prove and with a burning fire in his belly. The beast is finally let loose.....

The Raiders offense takes the field. Matt barks out the play and the Raiders crisply break the huddle and trot to the line. Matt Schaub smiles and nods at his WR who goes in motion, shouts out the cadence while staring down the LB who appears to be positioned to blitz... The ball is snapped, massive men crash into one another, and just like that the ball is out and on its way...... in the hands of a previously unheard of cornerback as he streaks toward the Raiders endzone.
Old 03-17-2014   #87
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub makes sense for OAK if they don't want to take a QB at the top this year. They get a starting QB without using their first round pick. They'll have to give up a draft pick but probably not one that they will miss. I could see them taking a QB in the third or fourth round. They could go into next year with:

Schaub-Pryor-rookie

McGloin is let go. If Schaub sucks for them they can cut him with no penalty and still turn to Pryor while the rookie gets ready.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2014   #88
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I've seen him play in college.

What kind of stats do you expect him to put up behind a GOAT like Brady?
I don't expect him to have 4,000 yds passing or 30 TD's, but 1-4 for 17 yds and a pick passing and 8 rushes for -9 yds? Doesn't inspire confidence in me.

And there great college QB's who are NFL busts every year. I'm not saying Mallett would be a bust in the NFL, I'm just saying there's absolutely no way to tell with just his college career and the stats he does have in the NFL.

His college stats aren't markedly different than the top 3 prospects this year and his accurracy is worse. I guess we'll just disagree on this one.
Old 03-17-2014   #89
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I have this mental picture of Matt Schaub wearing the Black & Silver with that unshaved shadow look he was sporting toward the end of the season here. He runs out on the field with an uncharacteristic swagger and a steely look on in his eyes that we Texans fans wouldn't recognize. This is a Matt Schaub with something to prove and with a burning fire in his belly. The beast is finally let loose.....

The Raiders offense takes the field. Matt barks out the play and the Raiders crisply break the huddle and trot to the line. Matt Schaub smiles and nods at his WR who goes in motion, shouts out the cadence while staring down the LB who appears to be positioned to blitz... The ball is snapped, massive men crash into one another, and just like that the ball is out and on its way...... in the hands of a previously unheard of cornerback as he streaks toward the Raiders endzone.
Shaub is the new Blanda without the kicking .
Old 03-17-2014   #90
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I don't expect him to have 4,000 yds passing or 30 TD's, but 1-4 for 17 yds and a pick passing and 8 rushes for -9 yds? Doesn't inspire confidence in me.

And there great college QB's who are NFL busts every year. I'm not saying Mallett would be a bust in the NFL, I'm just saying there's absolutely no way to tell with just his college career and the stats he does have in the NFL.

His college stats aren't markedly different than the top 3 prospects this year and his accurracy is worse. I guess we'll just disagree on this one.
People will always look at a physical specimen like Mallett and see them for what they could possibly be instead of seeing what they really are. It will always be that way.
Old 03-17-2014   #91
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post

I wouldn't dismiss a player because he hasn't put up any significant numbers just yet. I remember suggesting we trade for Aaron Rodgers when he was just a backup to Favre & was repeatedly told he wasn't any good. In his first two years he went 15-31 for 111 yards, 1 int, 3 fumbles & 6 sacks in 5 games.

Brett Favre was traded to Green Bay after going 0-4, 2 int & 1 sack in two games his first year.

I'm not saying Mallett will even come close to these two players, but neither one of them did much coming off the bench either. Unless Brady gets hurt, Mallett will never see the field during a real game. He's got all the tools to be a starting QB in the NFL & he's even kept his nose clean in his first 3 years after all the college issues. If OB thinks he can do something with Mallett, I'm all for it.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I can see him in a black doo-rag with a big gold loop earing in both ears.

Quote:
I'm not a big Matt Schaub fan. I'm also one of the last few (one??) who do not believe his Lisfranc caused the issues we saw last season.

I've also liked Matt when we finally canned the idea of running the ball to set up the pass... something we haven't done since Arian Foster broke out. Adding that Wade Phillips defense didn't help & then Shane Lechler....

Matt's a rhythm QB, always has been & Gary's style of offense doesn't always help him get into that rhythm, or when he does get in the zone, Gary cools him off.

I don't believe he's "clutch" I don't believe he can carry a team to a Super Bowl, I don't believe he is "Mr. Playoffs" but I don't think we've seen the best Matt Schaub could have been. I don't know that he can be better than what he has been in recent years, due to getting up there in age & what little physical prowess he had is most likely gone by now...

But I am interested to see what he can do without Gary Kubiak... not that I blame everything on Kubiak, just most everything.
Old 03-17-2014   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
People will always look at a physical specimen like Mallett and see them for what they could possibly be instead of seeing what they really are. It will always be that way.
I think the talent is only part of the equation.

His coaching staff, HC, OC, QB coach, WR coach, etc... plays a big part in it as well. I still think Kolb would have had a great career under Kubiak. I think Brady Quin would have done well here. Gabbert might do well with Harbaugh.

I liked what I heard from the clips of Bill O'Brien's coaching clinics & think if he picked Mallet to lead this team, that he believes he can make him & us a winner.
Old 03-17-2014   #94
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I can see him in a black doo-rag with a big gold loop earing in both ears.

I'm not a big Matt Schaub fan. I'm also one of the last few (one??) who do not believe his Lisfranc caused the issues we saw last season.

I've also liked Matt when we finally canned the idea of running the ball to set up the pass... something we haven't done since Arian Foster broke out. Adding that Wade Phillips defense didn't help & then Shane Lechler....

Matt's a rhythm QB, always has been & Gary's style of offense doesn't always help him get into that rhythm, or when he does get in the zone, Gary cools him off.

I don't believe he's "clutch" I don't believe he can carry a team to a Super Bowl, I don't believe he is "Mr. Playoffs" but I don't think we've seen the best Matt Schaub could have been. I don't know that he can be better than what he has been in recent years, due to getting up there in age & what little physical prowess he had is most likely gone by now...

But I am interested to see what he can do without Gary Kubiak... not that I blame everything on Kubiak, just most everything.
I hear you. I want to see him somewhere else if for no other reason than to know what I should or should not blame on Gary. They're inextricably tied to one another at this point. We know what Gary has done with other QB's. We've seen him OC and coach QB's before. We've never seen Matt without Gary.
Old 03-17-2014   #95
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear you. I want to see him somewhere else if for no other reason than to know what I should or should not blame on Gary. They're inextricably tied to one another at this point. We know what Gary has done with other QB's. We've seen him OC and coach QB's before. We've never seen Matt without Gary.
You can see him here to know what he looks like without Gary.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #96
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think the talent is only part of the equation.

His coaching staff, HC, OC, QB coach, WR coach, etc... plays a big part in it as well. I still think Kolb would have had a great career under Kubiak. I think Brady Quin would have done well here. Gabbert might do well with Harbaugh.

I liked what I heard from the clips of Bill O'Brien's coaching clinics & think if he picked Mallet to lead this team, that he believes he can make him & us a winner.
If he picked Mallett then I would agree with you.

My stance is that he won't pick Mallett because Mallett is not what a bunch of you guys think he is. He's a big body with a big arm who choked games away in college but got away with it because Bobby Petrino made him look good.

Mallett is a bigger version of Brian Brohm.
Old 03-17-2014   #97
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get why people are so big on Ryan Mallett. His career NFL stats are 4 GP back in 2012 and went 1-4 for 17 yards and an INT.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #98
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I don't get why people are so big on Ryan Mallett. His career NFL stats are 4 GP back in 2012 and went 1-4 for 17 yards and an INT.
1) They liked him when he was coming out of college.
2) They like the fact that he knows our new system.
3) They like the fact that he's worked with OB.
4) They like the fact that he hasn't shown any of the behavioral issues that were questions about him coming out of school.

I'm in the wait and see camp.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #99
darnbni99a
Veteran

Rep Power: 1441 darnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respected

sh!t they can have him for free
darnbni99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #100
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
1) They liked him when he was coming out of college.
2) They like the fact that he knows our new system.
3) They like the fact that he's worked with OB.
4) They like the fact that he hasn't shown any of the behavioral issues that were questions about him coming out of school.

I'm in the wait and see camp.
msr

Seems pretty logical to me.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read