Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Report: Texans and Raiders in Serious Trade Talk for Matt Schaub

Texans Pride

Veteran
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/03...iders-in-serious-trade-talks-for-matt-schaub/

HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – The Houston Texans and Oakland Raiders have been in serious talks about a trade involving Matt Schaub heading to Oakland, a source has told SportsRadio 610.

SportsRadio 610 learned that the Texans are trying to make the deal and eventually want a quarterback that can step in an play right away in 2014, whether that is in the draft or in a trade.

The Texans are looking to ship out Matt Schaub and his $10.5 million in salary cap cost to the Raiders, who have $59.9 million in cap space, and free up more cap room for their own ability to grab someone else in free agency or via trade.

I guess it's still where QB's careers go to die.

In all seriousness if this happens I wish him the best. I'd be interested to see what the Raiders will give in return.

Please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!please let this be true!!!!

So how many draft picks are we going to have to give up to get Oakland to take Matt S. off our hands?
:kitten:

...oh don't gimme that look; you know you were thinking it.
:D

We basically have no leverage here. Everybody know that Schaub has played his last game for us. And so far no other team seems to be interested. It would be great, if we could get something in return. If it is anything more than a 4th rounder I´d be shocked - and I´d do that trade in a heartbeat.

We basically have no leverage here. Everybody know that Schaub has played his last game for us. And so far no other team seems to be interested. It would be great, if we could get something in return. If it is anything more than a 4th rounder I´d be shocked - and I´d do that trade in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't go that far. It's clear we have a QB they want (if this story is true). He might be history here, but one man's garbage could be another man's gold.

I don't know about no leverage. We have no idea who's interested and who not. Lite if discussions happen that we know nothing of. Often times moved happen seemingly out if nowhere. All you need is two teams to believe Schaub makes them better. Really just one.

I have no idea what well get if anything for Matt. But I'll pretty much take anything.

Mcgloin still under contract with the raiders? Any chance he's part of a trade?

This is the question I asked in the other thread.

It looks like there could be a bidding was between the Raiders and the Browns. The Raiders are trying to make sure they get Schaub.

Good luck Matty Ice.

Actually Texans do have some leverage here.

If they cut him, he hits the open market. Reports suggest if he hits the open market, he will sign with his preferred spot: Cleveland where his old buddy Shanahan Jr is the OC. Oakland is NOT his preferred spot. Thus, if Oakland wants him, they gotta make a trade for him. By leaking this story it also potentially opens up the Browns as a trade partner if they feel that the Texans may trade him to Oakland they may feel they have to make the trade for him.

If they can get anything for him it would be fantastic.

I wouldn't go that far. It's clear we have a QB they want (if this story is true). He might be history here, but one man's garbage could be another man's gold.
With Schaub under contract we have considerable leverage. I wonder if Schaub would rather play in Oakland or Cleveland. I also wonder if he'll aks to be cut instead of traded, ala Sproles.

I'd love to get another first round somehow. Not very realistic, but nice to think about.

What are you smoking? The state of Colorado has gotta be interested in getting it's hads on what you are.

Based on his contract alone i'd happily give a seventh round pick for taking him. Any picks the FO can get IF this happens is icing. Complete icing.

This can't be happening. I mean it would take a GM with some modicum of intelligence and savvy to get one team (let alone two) remotely interested in a washed up guy "everyone knows" we're about to cut.

...and all we have is Rick Smith.

this cannot be happening.
:runaway:

This can't be happening. I mean it would take a GM with some modicum of intelligence and savvy to get one team (let alone two) remotely interested in a washed up guy "everyone knows" we're about to cut.

...and all we have is Rick Smith.

this cannot be happening.
:runaway:

Schaub is NOT the lost cause many think. He had a bad year and some teams realize that.

What are you smoking? The state of Colorado has gotta be interested in getting it's hads on what you are.

Based on his contract alone i'd happily give a seventh round pick for taking him. Any picks the FO can get IF this happens is icing. Complete icing.

Can you read? Or do you just flash your head from side to Side and pick up on key words?

Btw, I wasn't saying get a first round pick for Schaub alone. You filled in the blanks how you wanted to but what I was thinking was Schaub and picks to get back into the first.

But again, i said I don't think it's realistic so not sure what the point of your post actually is.

Can you read? Or do you just flash your head from side to Side and pick up on key words?

Btw, I wasn't saying get a first round pick for Schaub alone. You filled in the blanks how you wanted to but what I was thinking was Schaub and picks to get back into the first.

But again, i said I don't think it's realistic so not sure what the point of your post actually is.

Ok, then perhaps you had a soliloquy about wanting another first rounder in a possible trade for Matt Schaub thread?

Thanks I suppose then for posting your Pinocchio wishing upon a star for a first rounder?

This is great news. I thought we had no chance at actually trading Schaub where another team would take on that contract. I thought we either had to release him or keep him for another year. This would be fantastic if the Raiders are willing to waste more picks like they did on the Palmer trade. We really don't need compensation for Schaub. We just need a team that is willing to take him away so we can free up some cap room and acquire some talent at other positions. But hey, anything we can get is just icing on the cake. This trade would be benefit us a lot.

I don't quite understand this McGloin thing..........at 6'1", he was worse than Keenum in every stat.

Played in and knows O'Briens system Would be good for QB competition

This is great news. I thought we had no chance at actually trading Schaub where another team would take on that contract. I thought we either had to release him or keep him for another year. This would be fantastic if the Raiders are willing to waste more picks like they did on the Palmer trade. We really don't need compensation for Schaub. We just need a team that is willing to take him away so we can free up some cap room and acquire some talent at other positions. But hey, anything we can get is just icing on the cake. This trade would be benefit us a lot.

Actually benefits the raiders in a way as well. No one here is really mentioning it but the Raiders are very close to not hitting the salary cap floor. teams must spend at least 90% of the salary cap amount on a yearly basis. Right now they are still $40 million + under the cap. All the high priced free agents are gone os they have two choices:

1) Overpay a few of the FA's left who don't deserve it

2) Take on a contract or two to help make up that difference. They are interested in Schaub anyway and Houston cant be asking much.

The problem with trading Schaub is that his ensuing cap hit would put us over the cap, so we will need to restructure someone to make it work. So while there may be a deal in the making, the Raiders will have to wait for the Texans to get their books in order before it can be executed.

The problem with trading Schaub is that his ensuing cap hit would put us over the cap, so we will need to restructure someone to make it work. So while there may be a deal in the making, the Raiders will have to wait for the Texans to get their books in order before it can be executed.

How so? Please explain.

I was under the assumption that trading him would be exactly like cutting him as it pertains to our cap. So instead of his approx 14m cap number we would have approx 10m dead money toward him with a net savings of around 4m.

I was under the assumption that trading him would be exactly like cutting him as it pertains to our cap. So instead of his approx 14m cap number we would have approx 10m dead money toward him with a net savings of around 4m.

This is what I thought too.

"serious" and Sports Radio 610 are not things that can be used together. They cancel each other out. This is a non story until it is a story reported by a credible news source. I think McGloin is a logical inclusion in any trade with Oakland.

That is correct - net cap savings $3.625 mil.

Food for thought:

Could this be a controlled leak by the Texans? Skimming Twitter and Raiders MB's no raiders insider or beat writers have any knowledge or hear any rumblings of this.

We know 3 teams supposedly have interest in Schaub if he is cut: Browns, Jets, Raiders. Create a market for themselves?

I don't quite understand this McGloin thing..........at 6'1", he was worse than Keenum in every stat.
He's also smaller than Bridgewater. What he has going for him is that he played under OB at Penn State. He DOES know OB's offense. How good he is at executing it is another thing.

Food for thought:

Could this be a controlled leak by the Texans? Skimming Twitter and Raiders MB's no raiders insider or beat writers have any knowledge or hear any rumblings of this.

We know 3 teams supposedly have interest in Schaub if he is cut: Browns, Jets, Raiders. Create a market for themselves?
Over on the other thread Playoffs posted a series of Twitter tweets by an Oakland beat writer. See post #532. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103911&page=27

I know when teams trade a player away they aren't Scott free, but it don't understand why we take a cap hit. That just makes no sense to me.

Whether cut or traded all money which has been paid to Schaub which has not already appeared on the cap has to be accounted for. So if you give a player $10 mil signing bonus on a 4 year contract, $2.5 mil will appear on the cap each year plus any new many paid during that year (base salary, workout bonuses, roster bonuses, etc.). So if you cut or trade him after two years only $5 mil of the $10 mil signing bonus has appeared on the cap during those two years. The remaining $5 mil has to go on the cap as dead money. The new team has to account for any money paid after the trade date and nothing before.

If negotiations are underway, and if McGloin is not part of the wheeling & dealing, then who's out there for the Texans to acquire a veteran? There's Mallet & Hoyer, and who else?

Would it be a stretch to trade for Mallett and McGloin.

Atleast if they get McGloin and if they wanted Mallett they could tell BB 3-1 or no deal.

I don't know about that.

McGloin had a better completion percentage
had 1 win against Case's goose egg.
his QBR is much better
he was sacked 13 times less (that wasn't all on our O-Line either), Case led the league in avg yards lost/sack.

I didn't see any Raider games except the one against us so I'm basing his solely on numbers.

If anything I think the McGloin thing would be familiarity for O'Brien, but I don't see either guy being anything more than a stop gap until 1.1 is ready.

I wouldn't be that certain that we have no leverage. We don't have to get rid of Schaub. If there are no veteran QBs available he could be the starter next season. If nothing else the play calling alone has to get better. With the increased cap the Texans can keep him. O'Brien hasn't even had a chance to work with any of the QBs. He might determine that the problem was more Kubiak than Schaub.

I've been beating the McGloin drum for awhile now and this rumored trade has me crossing my fingers even more for McLovin. I found this video just now.

Just for the record, I'm not a Penn State homer. Nice mention of O'Brian here. It just seems logical for OB to want to pull this trigger IF he has the confidence in McGloin. If he doesn't he doesn't. Oh well. Still this is a nice vid.

http://www.chatsports.com/oakland-r...y-Make-You-a-Matt-McGloin-Believer-10-100-561

Back